Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My MIL was murdered.
The media was interested and some media was done early on.
But it quickly became more of a negative than it was a positive at all.
I don't personally take someone not wanting to take their chances with the press as a sign of guilt.

Now in our situation MIL was dead, no question there, and no glimmer of hope that our efforts would return her safely. We also had no question who did it, didn't result in an arrest or anyone ever being charged. If she had just vanished that day instead of being beat to death in her house..... maybe we would have dealt with the press longer than we did.

Forgive me for snipping unrelated parts of your post.

John Douglas, the FBI profiler said, in his defense of the Ramsey's, parents of a certain economic and/or educational level are much more likely to retain counsel in child abduction cases, and gives it little or no weight in determining guilt or innocence.

As MCK said in an earlier post, I would retain a defense attorney to help me convince LE that I am not the guilty party ASAP so that they could focus on the real task at hand and get the case solved faster. I also have a very healthy skepticism about LE and feel it would be in my child's best interest to have better qualified "eyes" trained on them than mine would be in that circumstance. Since I feel this way, you should realize that it is a realistic possibility that parents of missing do in fact retain attorneys, early in the case, and it has nothing whatsoever with "not wanting to do everything to find the child". I think it has everything to do with it, knowing I am not the guilty party, and too many times, LE is satisfied trying to build a case that will stick, and not neccessarily the case that is the actual right one. IMHO.

I remember so well when MK took a LDT ...very quickly. And I remember him saying how vital it is to do everything to clear oneself,so that LE can move on, and narrow their focus... Very smart man...MOO

Thank you. That helps. So, there were no police cars parked in that alley behind the Office Max, where the five walked and the sixth was lurking?
I can't speak for that first night (Saturday), but every day after, there WERE several police cars parked in that alley.

I think she is implying that they were all partying and didn't know what was going on in their own home. But, I do know of a case here in Dallas where there was a party actually a reunion with guests from out of town and a little girl was raped and murdered. It turned out to be one of the people at the party. Also wasn't there a little girl who was at a party with her family and one of the guest boyfriend raped her and then set her on fire. These cases get more bizzare all the time. However, I do not think the parents are in any way involved, but that does not rule out friends or relatives. jmo

You're probably right. I didn't even have NG on at the time! :silenced:

Don't worry, NG will move on from Isabel soon enough, for better or worse...like she did Sierra and so many others...the other night she had to be reminded who Kyron is...it is all about the story and any salacious details that might be involved. And luckily for HLN, there is always something newer...but this is why the family, or someone speaking on their behalf needs to be named and speaking out...JMO

If only each city/state would have a ticker running during local news with photos of missing children in their own area, it would be better than nothing...but an entire channel would be even better, to cover all missing people. One(!) problem with shows like those on HLN, IMO, is that they can turn one off to an entire case, by some of the assumptions, etc...i.e. thinking it must be a family matter or something like that.

I dont think I have ever been so stunned when I learned that LE has put out the wrong tape for days.

Unbelievable.

In Lauren Spirer's case, LE released 2 surveillance photos of a truck that they inferred was a suspect vehicle, claiming IIRC that it was circling the block Luaren was last sighted on at the right time.. After a HUGE search, and days of investigating, they find the vehicle. They also find out that the two photos from two cameras were not showing the proper times, so it never circled the block and was in no way related to the case, at all. We, on WS, were completely stunned at what seemd to be such a stupid mistake.... It happens. It may happen more than we ever know!

I remember so well when MK took a LDT ...very quickly. And I remember him saying how vital it is to do everything to clear oneself,so that LE can move on, and narrow their focus... Very smart man...MOO

I would take a LDT immediately if my son were to go missing. With that said, I watch a LOT of true crime shows in the Discovery ID channel...and I'm always amazed at two things. 1. How many times the appear to be inconclusive or deceptive where the person taking it ends up innocent. 2. How many times LE tells people they failed when they really didn't a an investigative tool.

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

@liltexans - did you happen to catch the name of the lawyer with whom Nancy was arguing so hotly to night? Ken, maybe Ken Galazar - anyway, i've kind of learned that if we watch the talking heads at the beginning of a case, oftentimes one of those peeps turns up as the new family lawyer and signing a different tune.

And then, she had Henry Lee on - why in the world would be on? we have no forensic reports back yet - so, what's to discuss? still ... here he is ...popping up. (good or bad? i sure don't want to see yet another 'dream team' :(

And - unless i haven't been watching a lot of her show (i'm deaf, so stay busy reading the closed captioning and often miss visual stuff) but i'm positive i saw lots of new pictures of Isa. yes, some of them she ran the same ones over and over, but i for sure saw a lot of new ones.

so the release of new pics, a very vocal defense lawyer coupled with Henry Lee - making me go hummm.

maybe parents finally settled on someone to help them out w/media and LE.

was happy to NOT see biaz and other less 'up and ups' on.

so 'maybe' they've selected someone possibly recommended by the Natl Assn for the Missing (not sure exact name); but a recognized group who has the capability to usher the Celias' thru the murky pathway and maintain dignity, honesty and truth.

also thinking if the reward is up to $50,000 - maybe the sold some pictures JUST FOR THE REWARD monies - i would like that, a lot.

My MIL was murdered.
The media was interested and some media was done early on.
But it quickly became more of a negative than it was a positive at all.
I don't personally take someone not wanting to take their chances with the press as a sign of guilt.

Now in our situation MIL was dead, no question there, and no glimmer of hope that our efforts would return her safely. We also had no question who did it, didn't result in an arrest or anyone ever being charged. If she had just vanished that day instead of being beat to death in her house..... maybe we would have dealt with the press longer than we did.

I am so sorry about the murder of your MIL, I.R.H. Thanks for your perspective and for sharing your family tragedy with us.

I would take a LDT immediately if my son were to go missing. With that said, I watch a LOT of true crime shows in the Discovery ID channel...and I'm always amazed at two things. 1. How many times the appear to be inconclusive or deceptive where the person taking it ends up innocent. 2. How many times LE tells people they failed when they really didn't a an investigative tool.

In the case of a missing child, I would do it without a second thought,. Does not have to be done with LE. Can take a private LDT... Lots of people find dealing with LE to be stressful and intimidating.Both these things can cloud the LDT...MOO

Is it possible to get massive coverage without sensationalism? Can anyone think of a very high-profile case that was covered in a respectful manner?

I wanted to bring forward this post with link to show that I don't just pull things out of the air and state them.. this was stated earlier today and it is where I got the info that I posted stating perp was not a stranger but rather an acquaintance...

S.O., was there some controversy? I didn't see it.

Forgive me for snipping unrelated parts of your post.

John Douglas, the FBI profiler said, in his defense of the Ramsey's, parents of a certain economic and/or educational level are much more likely to retain counsel in child abduction cases, and gives it little or no weight in determining guilt or innocence.

As MCK said in an earlier post, I would retain a defense attorney to help me convince LE that I am not the guilty party ASAP so that they could focus on the real task at hand and get the case solved faster. I also have a very healthy skepticism about LE and feel it would be in my child's best interest to have better qualified "eyes" trained on them than mine would be in that circumstance. Since I feel this way, you should realize that it is a realistic possibility that parents of missing do in fact retain attorneys, early in the case, and it has nothing whatsoever with "not wanting to do everything to find the child". I think it has everything to do with it, knowing I am not the guilty party, and too many times, LE is satisfied trying to build a case that will stick, and not neccessarily the case that is the actual right one. IMHO.

That is true! I was just having this conversation with my mom yesterday. About Isabel's case and why I don't think they are culpable. She asked me about Jon Benet Ramsey's case.

In that case, I initially really thought they were guilty. I don't know what to think today but I think it is very possible they are not. But, they hired counsel right away, refused LDT's and acted bizarrely, acted in ways that I would normally, instantly find evidence of consciousness of guilt.

But, and I hope this does not offend anyone, I believe that some of the very wealthy just react differently.

Nevertheless, the Celis family is not rich. They appear to be lower-middle class. And despite some assertions by posters, I see zero that indicates they have counsel yet. As a lawyer, I believe I can spot the signs. I thought Ayla Reynold's dad got counsel very early on because a statement he publicized smacked of lawyer-speak and was far different grammatically and much more educated than Justin's speech patterns.

I don't see that here.

The wrong date thing on the video i am not buying that because LE said yesterday that one person has come forward. Why wouldn't LE have said yesterday that they had the wrong date? I am sure the one that came forward would say then that they had the wrong day??

peeps: remember, the scanner stuff stays downstairs...

Heck yes it does!!! BWAHHHAH!!!! :floorlaugh: I love our WS members!!! They are simply the most brilliant, intuitive, and HYSTERICALLY funny people I have ever encountered!

Also when they pass and they are guilty. lol

In the case of a missing child, I would do it without a second thought,. Does not have to be done with LE. Can take a private LDT... Lots of people find dealing with LE to be stressful and intimidating.Both these things can cloud the LDT...MOO

I dont know what I would do if my kid went missing but I dont think I would be doing much without an attorney even though I am one, generally speaking LEO isnt your friend and like someone else said they all to often will try and make a case that sticks rather than make a case against the person it should be made against, couple that with ADAs with political ambitions who will file anything that will get their name in the news, the more outrageous the better. They're the sleaziest attention-whoring opportunists in the legal profession, which is saying a lot given the intense competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nutphinx