Found Deceased AZ - Jerold Williams, 5, Jacob Lake, 6 Aug 2015

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
"What gets me more is that Jerold was only 15-20 feet off of forest service road 240."

I'm looking at all the maps people have created (good job) as well as my own and I'm pretty confused at this point.
I'm not certain we have completely accurate information, well incomplete anyway.
Because the statement says they think he followed FR 240 to FR 241 then proceeded away from the campsite.
How would he have been found by people driving on 240 then?

I think it would make more sense if he found FR241 and followed it to FR240 where he was found. JMO.

"What gets me more is that Jerold was only 15-20 feet off of forest service road 240."

I'm looking at all the maps people have created (good job) as well as my own and I'm pretty confused at this point.
I'm not certain we have completely accurate information, well incomplete anyway.
Because the statement says they think he followed FR 240 to FR 241 then proceeded away from the campsite.
How would he have been found by people driving on 240 then?

Great point drjones. I was just wondering the same thing.

ETA, I see that Steelman and rkf have posted some very helpful maps.

I revised the map to show the approx. location he was found. The news media got the roads reversed in their report, but oh well. Forest road 240 dead ends. I'm assuming they found him near the end of it. It scales out right at 8 1/2 driving miles from their campsite.

He didn't drown. He would have died from dehydration and exhaustion (and maybe fear). He was walking AWAY from all the watering holes.

MSM article: http://www.kpho.com/story/29764048/5-year-old-found-dead-in-kaibab-forest-probably-died-first-night

Map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zAAmDUXJe_aE.kcsOUmM2GJ3A&usp=sharing

Thanks for these.

Wasn't that footprint found around 12 miles from the campsite? Is that outside the 2.1 mile radius searched? If Jerold was found 3.7 miles from the campsite, isn't that also outside the 2.1 mile radius searched? I'm confused because it seems like there were searches going on outside the area described, but not where Jerold was found.

Aha, good find. I had to use the forest service map to figure out where 240 was.
Just now is the first time this one has gotten to me. Realizing how easily this could have turned out another way.
Dehydration will make you delirious in short order. I would imagine that played a role.
Poor guy was just unfortunate and took a wrong turn, was unlucky in that he didnt run into anyone, and then probably lost his wits or just went to take a break in the shade.

:/

RIP

So sad that he was such a good boy that he didn't even strip off a layer of clothing in the heat. It breaks my heart too, that it could have turned out differently so easily.

Thanks for these.

Wasn't that footprint found around 12 miles from the campsite? Is that outside the 2.1 mile radius searched? If Jerold was found 3.7 miles from the campsite, isn't that also outside the 2.1 mile radius searched? I'm confused because it seems like there were searches going on outside the area described, but not where Jerold was found.

Coconino County Sheriff's Office spokesman Gerry Blair said Jerold was found less than 4 miles in a straight line from where he was camping with his mom and a large group of family and friends. The distance by road, however, was much longer -- more than 8.5 miles.

Detectives said not only were no signs of foul play where Jerold's body was located, but also the little boy was fully clothed and had suffered no obvious injuries. Preliminary autopsy results indicate that Jerold died of exposure.

http://www.kpho.com/story/29764048/5-year-old-found-dead-in-kaibab-forest-probably-died-first-night

They can say he died the first night if they want to, but I think he walked around in that area for awhile before he just layed down and gave up. Where they found the other shoeprints may all be tied in together. It's all documented though, so maybe someday they will issue a report on what they found and where everything was.

maybe I'm alone...still not buying any of this. he can't wander four miles and die (with vomit in my throat as I say it) with 20 people on foot (larger and older than him) in four hours, nor with 1,000 persons on foot, horse, helicopter, and air force within five days over 21 miles. and a pickup full of Colorado city folk simply "spotted him" on the side of the road? am I losing it? don't answer that. read my posts on the deorr kunz page. this simply isn't possible. in my obviously stupid naïve and ignorant opinion. this might just be my last missing child case.

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=35917624&nid=148&fm=most_popular&s_cid=popular-5

"Blair said the boy's body was found around 4:30 p.m. Monday by a group of volunteer searchers from Colorado City.

The group was driving in a pickup truck along Forest Service Road 240 when they spotted a body on the ground around 15 to 20 feet off the road.

The body was found nearly 4 miles from the place the boy was last seen.

"Because Jerold was found close to the road and the road would have been a natural walking area for him compared to the very thick brush, it is believed that Jerold probably found his way to Forest Road 240 and followed it to Forest Road 241 in the direction away from the campsite and may have walked off into the forest to lay down to rest," Blair said.

Authorities said more than 1,000 people helped in the search over five days that covered about 21 square miles."

Do you guys think if LE would have been called sooner the outcome would have been different? Didn't seem to matter in DeOrr's case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maybe I'm alone...still not buying any of this. he can't wander four miles and die (with vomit in my throat as I say it) with 20 people on foot (larger and older than him) in four hours, nor with 1,000 persons on foot, horse, helicopter, and air force within five days over 21 miles. and a pickup full of Colorado city folk simply "spotted him" on the side of the road? am I losing it? don't answer that. read my posts on the deorr kunz page. this simply isn't possible. in my obviously stupid naïve and ignorant opinion. this might just be my last missing child case.

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=35917624&nid=148&fm=most_popular&s_cid=popular-5

"Blair said the boy's body was found around 4:30 p.m. Monday by a group of volunteer searchers from Colorado City.

The group was driving in a pickup truck along Forest Service Road 240 when they spotted a body on the ground around 15 to 20 feet off the road.

The body was found nearly 4 miles from the place the boy was last seen.

"Because Jerold was found close to the road and the road would have been a natural walking area for him compared to the very thick brush, it is believed that Jerold probably found his way to Forest Road 240 and followed it to Forest Road 241 in the direction away from the campsite and may have walked off into the forest to lay down to rest," Blair said.

Authorities said more than 1,000 people helped in the search over five days that covered about 21 square miles."

Look at the map :

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zAAmDUXJe_aE.kcsOUmM2GJ3A&usp=sharing

It makes total sense, except the part about him dying the first night......I'm not buying that either.

After reading the news article, it really hits home as to how sad this is. He was a smart little boy to follow a road knowing it would lead to people at some point. Bless his heart, he did the right thing, and luckily as we suspect at the moment, did not run into one of the evil people dwelling on this earth.

Was this second road that he followed, 240 not heavily traveled? Would it have more week-end traffic? Just thinking about over the week-end when he was lost and no one saw him laying off the road. Such a shame. RIP Jerold.

I concur. I was going off the MSM report and the radio code used by SAR when they found him. I'm so sad thinking of him wandering for hours and then lying down to die by himself. I hope he just went to sleep.

Yeah, the two different code sources were confusing. I bookmarked both since they're handy. Anyway, I went back and I think the difference is that one source was from a sar training manual (although from southern Arizona) and the other one was from the Maricopa county sheriff's office computer codes.

You'd think the codes would be universal, at least throughout the U.S. but apparently some agencies have their own inter-office codes. What I couldn't find was any manuals for all sar. If you run across one, let me know.

And yes, I hope little Jerold died quickly. Sadly though I've managed to educate myself a little too much and I don't think his end was peaceful. The thought of him out in the middle of nowhere, all alone is too much to bear. His poor mother - I can't imagine the pain.

Coconino County Sheriff's Office spokesman Gerry Blair said Jerold was found less than 4 miles in a straight line from where he was camping with his mom and a large group of family and friends. The distance by road, however, was much longer -- more than 8.5 miles.

Detectives said not only were no signs of foul play where Jerold's body was located, but also the little boy was fully clothed and had suffered no obvious injuries. Preliminary autopsy results indicate that Jerold died of exposure.

http://www.kpho.com/story/29764048/5-year-old-found-dead-in-kaibab-forest-probably-died-first-night

They can say he died the first night if they want to, but I think he walked around in that area for awhile before he just layed down and gave up. Where they found the other shoeprints may all be tied in together. It's all documented though, so maybe someday they will issue a report on what they found and where everything was.

I wonder if he followed the road. As much as some of us scared our children about "stranger danger", I imagine a FLDS family would ingrain a more powerful message. I wonder if that would play into him being afraid of the searchers until he got to the point where he was too weak to respond/attract attention. It's hard to imagine he could have been walking down that road (FR241) for even a day without someone seeing him, so I wonder if he might have stuck to the forest. I don't know how long it would take a 5 year old to walk a little less than 4 miles through the trees versus 8.5 on the road. It would probably be much hotter on the road. Such a senseless tragedy.

Do you guys think if LE would have been called sooner the outcome would have been different? Didn't seem to matter in DeOrr's case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe. Like white rabbit said above, there were a bunch of adults hunting for him for four hours. I would think they would have found him in the first four hours unless he was hiding from them, then got lost. It was a perfect storm in that LE wasn't notified until 5:30, too late to search, and then there was bad weather that night and the next day, impeding the search. LE might not have been able to get SAR set up that first day anyway - I don't know how long that takes. Maybe they have a "go team" since it is in the area of the Grand Canyon. Probably lots of lost adults around this time of year. I'm surprised the search perimeter wasn't larger in the first few days. I think a 5 year old could travel further than a 2 year old, and IIRC the search for Deorr covered a 2.5 mile radius within days of his disappearance.

After reading the news article, it really hits home as to how sad this is. He was a smart little boy to follow a road knowing it would lead to people at some point. Bless his heart, he did the right thing, and luckily as we suspect at the moment, did not run into one of the evil people dwelling on this earth.

Was this second road that he followed, 240 not heavily traveled? Would it have more week-end traffic? Just thinking about over the week-end when he was lost and no one saw him laying off the road. Such a shame. RIP Jerold.

Looking at the map, 240 looks to be a road to nowhere so I doubt it's traveled all that much.

I am numb, angry, sad.

This little guy shouldn't be dead. I still can't comprehend him not being able to hear his family calling for him.

My heart just aches for this baby.

Maybe. Like white rabbit said above, there were a bunch of adults hunting for him for four hours. I would think they would have found him in the first four hours unless he was hiding from them, then got lost. It was a perfect storm in that LE wasn't notified until 5:30, too late to search, and then there was bad weather that night and the next day, impeding the search. LE might not have been able to get SAR set up that first day anyway - I don't know how long that takes. Maybe they have a "go team" since it is in the area of the Grand Canyon. Probably lots of lost adults around this time of year. I'm surprised the search perimeter wasn't larger in the first few days. I think a 5 year old could travel further than a 2 year old, and IIRC the search for Deorr covered a 2.5 mile radius within days of his disappearance.

I remember reading that the heat coming off the trees interfered with the heat sensors on the helicopters that first night. Another factor in that "perfect storm." They might have found him that first night if they were able to use the heat sensors. :(

As somebody else mentioned, I hope he just curled up and went to sleep.

Looking at the map, 240 looks to be a road to nowhere so I doubt it's traveled all that much.

FSR 240 is not much more than dirt path in the woods, not really a road that people travel. It is a turn off from 241, which is also a dirt road. These are Forrest Service Roads, one of the main purposes is for access in case of a fire.

I don't think he died the first night either. Once it got dark, Jerold was probably really scared, didn't quite know what to do, and wandered around for a bit trying to find his way back to the campsite. Isn't this what anyone would do? How long did he do this?

I'm not sure how he found the road, but it was a good thing rather than wandering thru the dark forest where it definitely would be more frightening to a 5 year old. JMO. Upon finding the road, he may have been excited, however, the further he walked and saw no signs of help, he slowed down.

By this time, he was thirsty, hungry, more afraid, wanting his mommy, tired, and unable to walk his normal speed. Add all this together and 8.5 miles is a long walk in the middle of the night for this 5 year old. I believe an article said it rained the first 36-48 hours? If so, this would make his traveling time much slower My thoughts are he reached his resting spot, exhausted, laid down and went peacefully in his sleep.

it simply defies logic, the elements, geographics, animal behavior, and everything else literally under the sun. just like deorr kunz. let's pick the worst possible day/time/location/circumstances when at that exact moment a parent or caregiver takes their eyes off the child for that particular moment.

I'm not buying the 'perfect storm' theory of all these missing children. just not. thank you all for your time and rabbit reading...:eek:fftobed:

I revised the map to show the approx. location he was found. The news media got the roads reversed in their report, but oh well. Forest road 240 dead ends. I'm assuming they found him near the end of it. It scales out right at 8 1/2 driving miles from their campsite.

He didn't drown. He would have died from dehydration and exhaustion (and maybe fear). He was walking AWAY from all the watering holes.

MSM article: http://www.kpho.com/story/29764048/5-year-old-found-dead-in-kaibab-forest-probably-died-first-night

Map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zAAmDUXJe_aE.kcsOUmM2GJ3A&usp=sharing
That looks more than 4 miles in a straight line from camp. Maybe we don't have the camp coordinates right.

I also don't see 240 on the map. It's not titled. Could they have been camping off 240, rather than 241? Also that seems like it goes up the mountain. Does it?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tased×20
Back