GUILTY AZ - Sylar Newton, 2, Rimrock, 25 July 2010 - #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I did a little research into where Yavapai County gets their DNA results, I would have thought Phoenix but actually they have a contract with Sorenson Labs of Utah. They list in the contract a 60 day turnaround for DNA results unless a rush request. Depending on how much more the county is willing to pay, Rush can be 10 or 15 days.
Not saying that DNA was definately sent here, but maybe that helps with everyones questions of why its taking sooooooo long.

I did a little research into where Yavapai County gets their DNA results, I would have thought Phoenix but actually they have a contract with Sorenson Labs of Utah. They list in the contract a 60 day turnaround for DNA results unless a rush request. Depending on how much more the county is willing to pay, Rush can be 10 or 15 days.
Not saying that DNA was definately sent here, but maybe that helps with everyones questions of why its taking sooooooo long.

Thank you wintersdawn- I know I saw a source for outsourcing testing somewhere, but couldn't find it. I think this is a good enough guess.

It isn't unusual for DNA testing labs to have a big backlog of samples waiting to be tested. If LS is very sure that the remains are Sylars, and if the confirmation won't have any impact on the investigation, then there is no good reason to jump the queue.

I just read on the facebook page someone called the funeral home to express concern that the family is having to struggle to pay for funeral costs but it states the funeral home says all expenses have been paid. If that is so then why is the funeral home accepting the donations? or the donations that are sent directly to them? I am planning to donate but if it is covered already wonder what they are using it for?

http://www.facebook.com/sylernewton

I just read on the facebook page someone called the funeral home to express concern that the family is having to struggle to pay for funeral costs but it states the funeral home says all expenses have been paid. If that is so then why is the funeral home accepting the donations? or the donations that are sent directly to them? I am planning to donate but if it is covered already wonder what they are using it for?

I dunno maybe someone should clue the news in that the funeral cost have been met. That way the news can do the thanks everyone for donating. AND the public knows the funeral is covered. And no one has to get questioned about what ever or bring shame to Sylars fund.

My concerns, as well.

Well truthfully and sheepishly I wondered about the whole collection thing myself. There was a kind soul on this thread who said that they notified Charity about the state offering $5K (if I remember correctly) towards burial etc. Other than than that what would matter ? Truthfully, I am concerned that they (whoever "they" may be) is milking this for whatever reasons -- I did see something about making a non profit out of this (oh joy).

I sent her a link to the AZ victims's compensation fund. She should apply. If approved they will pay up to 5K in funeral expenses.

I believe in giving credit where credit is due -- this kind soul contacted CN to give her a 'heads up' for assistance..... bless you

Charity hasn't heard that, but will be calling them first thing in the morning to find out.

If the funeral home says the "expenses have been paid" that would just be the funeral and cremation I am pretty sure.

That would not include the $2500 - $3000 headstone. So I suspect that is where the other donations would go. Though I guess it's possible that they can order the headstone too? I just know we've always had to do that separately from the mortuary part.

Will see what Charity finds out tomorrow. It might be a few weeks before they can do it any way.

It's a bummer making arrangements -- truth is that it takes some ''lead time'' for the headstone....it's separate from the funerary arrangements (cremation burial etc) . It's seldom considered in terms of reimbursement from ''final arrangement'' sources (government funds etc).

It's a bummer making arrangements -- truth is that it takes some ''lead time'' for the headstone....it's separate from the funerary arrangements (cremation burial etc) . It's seldom considered in terms of reimbursement from ''final arrangement'' sources (government funds etc).

I just can't imagine ever asking for a $3,000 headstone. :waitasec:

You can get a small granite one for $100.

Yes, if I had the money from someone's life insurance, I might consider a really nice $3,000 headstone. I just can't imagine asking for donations to get one. :waitasec:

Then again...I have a hard time asking for help standing back up when I break 6 ribs...or just letting someone give me $5. So I'm not really a good judge on asking for help.

I just know a lot of people have not donated because of that $3,000 headstone. Which is sad if they need the money to have a funeral. Hopefully they do not. :twocents:

I don't know local costs but in midwest it was $l,500 for a ''simple'' headstone for my LDH

I don't know local costs but in midwest it was $l,500 for a ''simple'' headstone for my LDH

Yeah I'm talking about the very small ones... 9x6, the baby ones. Just granite.

Obviously, you'd want more than that. But, I would probably get the $100 one in this situation simply because I wouldn't ask for help. I don't expect them to do that, of course. I just think there is a $1,500 happy medium...between $100 and $3,000.

Hopefully the funeral/cremation costs are covered. (Though again...just like with Caylee I wouldn't be cremating in that situation...just in case further tests need to be done later.)

Do we even know to whom this baby's remains will be released to?

I'm weary of all the collecting that has been going on because information keeps changing, and now they want to sell wrist bands to make money. I'd gladly donate to this child's funeral and/or headstone, as I have done in the past with other children, but I do not want one penny going to anyone surrounding him (outside of LE and Don... they worked their tails off for Sylar). In life it seemed like Sylar had no one in his corner, but now the hands are out seeking monies: it does not sit well with me.

I wish LE could go about setting up a fund that guaranteed that the monies would be directly for Sylar, and the extra cash would go back into helping other children.

Well generally speaking the remains are released to the next (legal) next of kin which in this case would be the bio mom (CN).

Do we even know to whom this baby's remains will be released to?

I'm weary of all the collecting that has been going on because information keeps changing, and now they want to sell wrist bands to make money. I'd gladly donate to this child's funeral and/or headstone, as I have done in the past with other children, but I do not want one penny going to anyone surrounding him (outside of LE and Don... they worked their tails off for Sylar). In life it seemed like Sylar had no one in his corner, but now the hands are out seeking monies: it does not sit well with me.

I wish LE could go about setting up a fund that guaranteed that the monies would be directly for Sylar, and the extra cash would go back into helping other children.

Look very carefully at the facebook entries....there was some discussion there.

Off Topic

Just one of the many places on the internet, I just grabbed one. This site is midranged priced. I saw another site with as low as $150 for children.

http://www.artisanmemorials.com/infant-headstones-grave-markers.html

Speaking from experience of having witnessed other's purchase for a small child. These markers are lower priced because usually families that lose a baby or young child are younger themselves and not as financially secure as most of us are in middle age or older. JMHO.

Off Topic

Just one of the many places on the internet, I just grabbed one. This site is midranged priced. I saw another site with as low as $150 for children.

http://www.artisanmemorials.com/infant-headstones-grave-markers.html

Speaking from experience of having witnessed other's purchase for a small child. These markers are lower priced because usually families that lose a baby or young child are younger themselves and not as financially secure as most of us are in middle age or older. JMHO.

Thanks Kat....some folks spend more out of ''guilt'' -- it's the most emotionally loaded purchase one can make.

I have not donated to Sylars fund because first off I think they are not being truthful about the amount of money they have already collected . The AZ victims funds should cover alot. One family member said the service was being paid for by other family members and they were wondering if the money was really going to help.
3,000 dollars on a headstone is alot of money. When you are asking people for help you should be modest in your request. I could see asking for a nicer headstone if he was not being cremated but still not even that high. I am so glad Sylar in the hands of angels now . At least he is being cared for.

I have not donated to Sylars fund because first off I think they are not being truthful about the amount of money they have already collected . The AZ victims funds should cover alot. One family member said the service was being paid for by other family members and they were wondering if the money was really going to help.
3,000 dollars on a headstone is alot of money. When you are asking people for help you should be modest in your request. I could see asking for a nicer headstone if he was not being cremated but still not even that high. I am so glad Sylar in the hands of angels now . At least he is being cared for.

Couldn't agree more

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member