Identified! AZ - Tempe, Hisp/NatAmFem UP11372, 15-19, Jun'13 - Annovedwin Begay-Barakzai *guilty*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Your gal made it quickly to NamUs.

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/11372

Hey there HM,
I was just thinking about dropping you and Lys a pm to see if you might be interested in helping us out here or if you have any advice or input. You ladies are doing awesome in your efforts to identify our little Smurfette! (http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189712)

Hopefully this young lady will be identified soon. LE seems to be very concerned about the level of brutality of this crime ("shocked") and seems to think this killer could strike again soon.

Here is more information about the scar on her neck from Namus:

"Scar on outside of her right wrist and surgical scar on her neck (three staples in deep tissue around the thyroid gland)."

This seems like it could be a promising lead!

<edit> There is also a photo of her teeth / braces under images. This should be helpful in comparisons. Her teeth appear to be pretty straight...I'm guessing she has had these braces on for a while? My friend is a dentist...maybe he will look at this photo and offer some insight on the work (taking a picture with my cellphone and sending it over to him now <he is going to think I'm absolutely nuts if he doesn't already, lol, sending him a picture of a deceased girl's mouth>).

*the photo of her mouth suddenly made this feel more personal to me, its no longer a sketch and an article, its an actual photo of the person...

I'm looking into the neck staple thing, but don't want to be an armchair physician or clog the thread with misinformation or speculation. Is there anyone here experienced with thyroid / neck staples? She seems young for this type of surgery, but I have no idea about that stuff...I googled "neck thyroid staples", etc. lots is coming up.

I noticed on Namus, her identification potential is listed as "Medium" (3 out of 5 stars).

So I was just looking at the braces pic on NamUs and it looks like they may not have been taken care of for some time. I'm no orthodontist though - hopefully someone a bit more learned will chime in.

Also, the ME report stated that she had some kind of bone issue they believe could be rickets. Rickets is a vitamin D deficiency that can develop from malnutrition and lack of sunlight. It is uber rare in developed countries. This could mean she was held for a long time by a captor and refused light/proper diet, or that she is a victim of serious parental/foster home neglect and abuse.

I'm looking into the neck staple thing, but don't want to be an armchair physician or clog the thread with misinformation or speculation. Is there anyone here experienced with thyroid / neck staples? She seems young for this type of surgery, but I have no idea about that stuff...I googled "neck thyroid staples", etc. lots is coming up.

When I was a teen, my girlfriend had surgery on her thyroid. She had some kind of benign growth that erupted through the skin and was leaking pus. So she had it removed and I remember it took quite long to heal. Just sharing this here to say I don't think it's that uncommon for teenagers to have surgery on the thyroid.

As for the teeth of this young girl, I noticed on Namus that she has 6 missing teeth. That is quite a lot for such a young person I think. She has other problems with her teeth as well. This is the description on Namus:

The decedent has braces and unique dentition: #11 is impacted, #6 is positioned between #4 & #5, missing teeth #'s 1,16,17,19,30,32

The braces don't look like they have been taken good care of and together with her missing teeth and the speculated deficiency I agree with someone else here who suggested she might have been held captive for some time or was neglected by caretakers.

On Adrienne's thread I was just thinking about the possibility that Adrienne might have been the replacement for this girl in some kind of sex slave trade.

This girl could have been abducted months or years ago and only just now killed.

ETA: just noticed on Namus under Body Condition: Recognizable face

Plus, she is described as Native American on Namus, so maybe the title of this thread should be changed?

I'm sure that LE will be checking out the nearby Reservations to see if they can ID this girl. It does sound like she's been gone for years or has been uncared for.

I'm sure that LE will be checking out the nearby Reservations to see if they can ID this girl. It does sound like she's been gone for years or has been uncared for.

But braces are expensive, so at one time she was well cared for. What is perplexing is her thyroid or parathyroid surgery. (It is my opinion that condition effected her bones) I think that requires going to an endocrinologist. Hmmmm......

when i was a young teen with braces (and my little sis had them at the same time as i), i know i didn't take the BEST care of them... it just wasn't too big of a priority. my thoughts with this girl are that maybe she wasn't the best at caring for them, but IMO they don't look really bad. one of my thoughts was that her face, including mouth, was probably cleaned up after she was found. if she had an inconceivable amount of head trauma, etc.. it's very likely that she had some bleeding in the mouth and that could have discolored her bands and possibly stained the teeth. if her lips were part of the facial injuries, her lips would probably easily bleed by being pressed so hard against the braces. i also notice that she has "hook" brackets on a couple of her lower teeth that are showing. she most likely has 2 on her upper teeth too. these types of brackets are used to help in correcting an overbite. rubberbands connect from the bottom to the top hooks on each side. i had them on my teeth and my lips used to get torn to heck because they'd get caught on the hooks. i used lots of dental wax. i didn't have to wear the rubberbands the entire time, tho. man, i don't miss those days. but, i do remember them like they were yesterday.

all IMO, based on personal experience.

Just bringing this over for reference in case it ends up being somehow related to this Jane Doe:
Tia Payne was found dead in Phoenix, which is about 10 miles from Tempe. Tia went missing in August 2010. She wasn't IDed until April 2013 via the DNA database; she had been buried as a Jane Doe since 2011. Her death is still unsolved.

She has a thread on WS and her mother posts there:
Found Deceased AZ - Tia Payne, 18, Phoenix, Aug 2010 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Thyroglossal cyst removal is probably more likely in her age group than a malignancy or hyperthyroidism. Perhaps staples are used in the procedure to remove the cyst (Sistrunk procedure - couldn't find info on staple remnants - that seems very unusual)? This is probably done by a head/neck surgeon.

Just bringing this over for reference in case it ends up being somehow related to this Jane Doe:
Tia Payne was found dead in Phoenix, which is about 10 miles from Tempe. Tia went missing in August 2010. She wasn't IDed until April 2013 via the DNA database; she had been buried as a Jane Doe since 2011. Her death is still unsolved.

She has a thread on WS and her mother posts there:
Found Deceased AZ - Tia Payne, 18, Phoenix, Aug 2010 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

One reason that has me skeptical that this could be related to Tia is the stark difference in the manner of body disposal. Tia being buried makes me think that it was someone she knew or someone with a conscious (remorse?). Whoever killed this poor girl wanted her to be found and wanted to make a statement, IMO.

I believe ktgirl was referring to her having been found (by a camper at a camping location) then buried in a cemetery as a Jane Doe since 2011, not her remains having been discovered buried.

:bump:

Unidentified Native American or Hispanic Female, approximate age 15 to 19, nude body found near Tempe St. at 1900 E. Minton Dr. in Tempe, Arizona last Saturday June 15th 2013, wearing braces, turquoise stud earrings, nose ring stud.

Short brown / auburn colored hair, brown eyes.

Mineral decomposition in bones, possibly rickets, caused from malnutrition.

Scar on neck near thyroid, 3 staples. Scar on outer right wrist.

This girl went missing from Houston 10 years ago with a full set of braces.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/a/ayala_laura.html

Laura Ayala and others listed above could be possible for sure, even though she would be older than the estimated age. Her disappearance 11 yrs ago could also account for the possible malnutrition...Does anyone want to volunteer to call in the possible matches from Tonto, Houston Mom, etc? :)

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava l
Back