Identified! AZ - Tempe, Hisp/NatAmFem UP11372, 15-19, Jun'13 - Annovedwin Begay-Barakzai *guilty*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I just got this on my facebook feed. One of my Facebook friends re-posted it, and it ended up on my feed. The man who originated the post says that this is his 16-year old sister, but unfortunately, he did not indicate her name. He says that she was last seen on 17-Oct-2012, and he said she might be "in California, Arizona, Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Texas, Louisianna, North Carolina or Idaho (Nampa maybe Boise)"

(BBM)

I noticed the braces on her teeth, and the comment that she was possibly in Arizona. She doesn't appear Hispanic or NtvAm though.

563796_557272834312478_579764420_n.jpg

There is nobody listed in NamUs as missing in October 2012 who looks like this girl.

Strange that no name was given... I was trying to compare her picture to the sketch on NAMUS but it is too small (I am not computer savvy) I was thinking though, with a tan, that girl might look somewhat native or hispanic?

I slipped a note to Carl (UID MOD) to help us maybe get the title of this thread changed.

Here's her photo from her facebook page.

attachment.php

She lists her religious views as "islam", which would explain the covering of her face except for her eyes.

Attachments

• Annovedwin Begay.jpg
    Annovedwin Begay.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 237
RIP angel :(

may justice have the final word and may peace be with your loved ones at this time.

I just got this on my facebook feed. One of my Facebook friends re-posted it, and it ended up on my feed. The man who originated the post says that this is his 16-year old sister, but unfortunately, he did not indicate her name. He says that she was last seen on 17-Oct-2012, and he said she might be "in California, Arizona, Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Texas, Louisianna, North Carolina or Idaho (Nampa maybe Boise)"

(BBM)

I noticed the braces on her teeth, and the comment that she was possibly in Arizona. She doesn't appear Hispanic or NtvAm though.

563796_557272834312478_579764420_n.jpg

There is nobody listed in NamUs as missing in October 2012 who looks like this girl.

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/missing/maiden.asp

There was a thread on her on websleuths but it was taken down because she has been recovered/alive. I don't want to post her name but if you go to the above link it will say her name and that she is recovered.

How sad. :( I'm glad she has her name back. I see from her FB that she attended college & was a member of the archery team.

What would cause someone to use this level of crazed overkill on a girlfriend? Psychopathy? Drugs? How she must have suffered... :(

I can find Begay as a Native American name (Navaho), but Barakzai appears to be Middle Eastern. Looking forward to viewing a photo of this young victim. Such a shame. Prayers for her and her family.

I posted a photo of her above from her facebook page, but she has her face mostly covered. On her facebook page, she lists her religious views as "islam", so it looks like we probably won't find any photos of her where her face is uncovered.

I can find Begay as a Native American name (Navajo), but Barakzai appears to be Middle Eastern. Looking forward to viewing a photo of this young victim. Such a shame. Prayers for her and her family.

Begay is a common name here in South Dakota through the Oceti Sakowin. It also can be Dine[Navajo].

The last 3 letters of her name, win, is the Lakota term for woman and I would believe that she does have Lakota blood through the Begay side.

How sad. :( I'm glad she has her name back. I see from her FB that she attended college & was a member of the archery team.

What would cause someone to use this level of crazed overkill on a girlfriend? Psychopathy? Drugs? How she must have suffered... :(
BBM

Revenge for turning him in to LE for DV??? That's what I'm thinking.

I can find Begay as a Native American name (Navajo), but Barakzai appears to be Middle Eastern. Looking forward to viewing a photo of this young victim. Such a shame. Prayers for her and her family.

Yes, Barakzai is a South Asian name:
"Barakzai is the name of a Pashtun tribe from present-day Afghanistan, Balochistan Province of Pakistan, and Sistan and Baluchestan Province of Iran."
from Barakzai - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

So it appears that Annovedwin is probably of Native American and South Asian (probably Afghani, Pakistani, or Iranian) descent. (Since they said the unidentified girl was of Native American or Hispanic descent, I'm kind of surprised she's apparently half South Asian/Middle Eastern as well as Native...I guess that's not a super-common ancestral mix to come upon.)

Glad we know who you are, Annovedwin. And glad your killer was quickly arrested. May he see justice quickly as well and you will never suffer again in the afterlife. "Verily, with the hardship, there is relief."*(from the Qu'ran- Surah Al-Insyirah 94 : 5-6)

Um.

Has anyone thought that Begay Barakzai is NOT her real name?

This just hit me.

If she were originally Native American (reports say Navajo straight from the reservation.) Her name would not be middle eastern and I doubt she'd come from being on a reservation with deep Navajo traditions to college being Islamic and having a mid eastern name.

Simply does not make sense.

I am convinced she went to school in tempe from the Reservation, and that George kidnapped her when she was at a party drunk or in a vulnerable position and controlled her.

He then forced her to wear Abaya to conceal her face/identity? Made her go by different name?

IMHO

Um.

Has anyone thought that Begay Barakzai is NOT her real name?

This just hit me.

If she were originally Native American (reports say Navajo straight from the reservation.) Her name would not be middle eastern and I doubt she'd come from being on a reservation with deep Navajo traditions to college being Islamic and having a mid eastern name.

Simply does not make sense.

I am convinced she went to school in tempe from the Reservation, and that George kidnapped her when she was at a party drunk or in a vulnerable position and controlled her.

He then forced her to wear Abaya to conceal her face/identity? Made her go by different name?

IMHO

It certainly could happen that way, but the article says, "The key to solving the case was a tipster who called Tempe police on Friday afternoon and told them the victim’s name after viewing media reports, Pooley said. The tipster had been an acquaintance of the victim.

Within a few hours of learning Begay-Barakzai’s name, police arrested George..."

That sounds to me like the acquaintance knew her by that name.

I don't think that's any kind of covering garment in the FB photo (her FB seems to be gone, by the way). It looks like she's holding a gray fleece jacket up to her face, which might be religion or might be joking around with whoever took the photo, presumably the boyfriend.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
momster0734
Back