Baez' "other" murder trial...who and what were results?

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
watch baez say that the prosecutors in casey's case have gotten to this guy and talked him into filing this. there is a conspiracy against him since he's such a good lawyer you know.

No....not our JB.....he would never do something like that!

**did I lay the sarcasm on heavy enough. I've been having problems with my sarcasm meter malfunctioning and people thinking I was serious**

Yep, I can imagine JB saying something like that.

It will be interesting to hear more about what happens regarding this claim.

That's so funny. I can hear Baez saying "duh, even though Mr. Diaz got the maximum sentence, I think I did a very very competant job in defending him."
LOL

Before I decide how to react, I would like to know whether Diaz is representing himself in this matter or if he's represented by a licensed attorney in good standing with the Florida bar. (In other words not a jailhouse attorney or attorney who is in jail. LOL.)

Just the fact that he is claiming the defense was ineffective, the judge didn't do his job, and the prosecutors were involved in misconduct tells me the validity of the claim. That is a throw it at the wall and see what sticks approach if I have ever seen one. Pick one and present your case. No one is going to believe all three parties to your trial were out to get you.

This sounds like Mark Geragos. He seems to promise a surprise, only to fall flat...

Promises, promises, promises. Well I must admit I don't mind as long as JB can realize the same fate for KC as he did for this other murder client, the maximum penalty because he thumbed his nose at a plea deal and the surprise fell flat.

That works for me.

Promises, promises, promises. Well I must admit I don't mind as long as JB can realize the same fate for KC as he did for this other murder client, the maximum penalty because he thumbed his nose at a plea deal and the surprise fell flat.

That works for me.

Me, too! It always gives me a chuckle, how she picked JB. She learned of him from inmates? I think I would want a reference from someone OUT of jail, not cooling their heels IN the jail.

JB is perfect for this he has been involved from day one, someone besides the state picking up the tab. There is no nanny. He actually let JM go on with the civil trial so even more gets to come out,more excellent lawyers and really don't they just make it more fun. Usually to have this many heavy hitters in the courtroom OJ would have to be involved and no taxpayer money.Nothing but the best,but we all know and so does everyone else KC is guilty.By the looks of the last motions hearing the SA is not very happy with Mr.Biaz either. It should be very interesting.We will see all these people at thier best...........

I'm located very near the Anthony house and I was reading the paper today...feeling so bad about all the kids who are losing their schools to budget cuts. It occured to me how KC, with the help of her legal team, are costing the taxpayers here millions of dollars to pursue justice for her daughter...when I think it's very obvious she's the only one who could have done it..IMO. So, KC didn't stop at ruining her daughter's life...she continues to destroy so many others by continuing this charade. The millions this case is costing could save schools, keep kids safer by not cutting school busses, teachers, LEO's and affordable healthcare to so many in the area. It's mind boggling the amount of money we're paying for a bunch of fame grabbers to fight to set an obvious murderer free. JB should be ashamed of himself and his power grab. He knows he'll never free KC. Plea bargain now and get this circus done with. JMO.

Let's say the former client does win an appeal of his case based upon a ruling that he had ineffectual counsel.
Could this ruling against Baez come into play during or after Casey's trial or sentencing? IOW, if he was incompetent once, would she be more likely to be granted an appeal on the same grounds??

Please forgive me for not knowing the answer to this. I am woefully undereducated in criminal law procedures and precedents.

Thanks,
Maria

Thank you Angel for posting this in the updates thread.

Casey Anthony lawyer Jose Baez gets slammed by former client
Man convicted in Lake County toddler death cites "defectiveness" of Casey Anthony's attorney Jose Baez
Stephen Hudak | Sentinel Staff Writer
3:11 PM EDT, March 27, 2009
<snipped>
A Lake County man, serving a 15-year prison sentence in the death of a toddler, wants his manslaughter and child-abuse convictions overturned, citing judicial and prosecutorial misconduct and the "defectiveness" of his defense lawyer, Jose Baez. Baez is better known these days as Casey Anthony's lawyer. But last spring he was busy defending Nilton Diaz.

Diaz, 31, insists he did not kill or harm 2-year-old Noeris Vazquez, granddaughter of legendary Puerto Rican prize-fighter Wilfredo Vazquez. Instead, Diaz claims he lost his freedom because of Baez' trial performance, strategy and failure to disclose evidence to prosecutors, a tactical decision that prevented jurors from viewing a defense video.

Article:
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...,4266860.story
Guess he's watched the videos of the hearings. LOL

Is this the same outcome Baez hopes for Casey? Very worrisome IMO, that Baez feels his incompetence could benefit a client further down the line.

(snip)
Baez was not surprised by Diaz's motion, a common post-conviction strategy that often cites defense mistakes to win a new trial, said the lawyer's spokeswoman, Marti Mackenzie.
"He doesn't let his ego into the way," Mackenzie said of Baez. "If this kind of motion helps an innocent man get a new trial, he hopes it's successful."

Article:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...,7003317.story

If this happened a second time wouldn't someone question it? Could someone turn him in to the bar if it happens a 2nd time? I can see it happening once and the attorney being alright with it but not twice. I doubt that most attorneys would be alright with it because they must think that they gave it the best they had. First I had ever heard of this was with Cindy what's her last name and her attorney. She was found not guilty after the second trial.
Her attorney was a very humble man and he wanted her name cleared but that is rare when that happens. It really makes the attorney look bad when this happens.

Baez seems to me to have a pretty big ego. I think he believes that him and his dream team are going to set Casey free. I still wonder how they are getting paid. Why did the Pros just bring up "her story" in the last hearing instead of her story, pictures and videos?

God, doesn't this sound familiar? Baez has said "we'll all be surprised"

(snip)
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...ey-anthony-lawyer-baez-032709,0,4266860.story

In documents seeking a new trial and other post-conviction relief, Diaz said "...Mr. Baez wanted to surprise the prosecution, and the surprise blew up in the defense's face."

I was surprised to actually see how incompetent of a lawyer he really is, I wouldn't hire him to get me out of a jaywalking ticket.

I think this guy should get a new trial, maybe the mother really killed the child and just went to the store for this guy would be blamed for it..

Casey won't get a new trial because JB decided to bring in high profile lawyers and experts. No way they can say she got ineffective counsel.

The article says that Diaz asserts the state gave him the maximum sentence for not taking a plea. Guess they were "mad" at him. Does that sound familiar? Wonder how the only two defendants JB has had in a murder trial can come up with the same chip on their shoulders regarding what they consider the "motives" of the prosecution?

Maybe that is the line Jose fed to both of them..seems plausible to me.

Is this the same outcome Baez hopes for Casey? Very worrisome IMO, that Baez feels his incompetence could benefit a client further down the line.

(snip)
Baez was not surprised by Diaz's motion, a common post-conviction strategy that often cites defense mistakes to win a new trial, said the lawyer's spokeswoman, Marti Mackenzie.
"He doesn't let his ego into the way," Mackenzie said of Baez. "If this kind of motion helps an innocent man get a new trial, he hopes it's successful."

Article:

Awww, Baez falling on his sword. What a gentleman.

Maybe that is the line Jose fed to both of them..seems plausible to me.

You are absolutely right, cajun. That is exactly what Baez told ND.

There was a deal offered to Diaz....5 years.....for a guilty plea. Baez told Diaz not to take it. Baez had EVERYONE convinced that Diaz would not be convicted. His family, friends, even co-workers were all shocked when the verdict was read.

Diaz was scared. He had never been in trouble with the law before and had no idea what would happen at his trial. But Baez really did convince him that he would be found not guilty. Not only did Baez turn down the deal....he put Diaz on the stand. Diaz didn't mind, however, because he thought if he could just tell the jury what happened they would see that he didn't do it.

He got a lot of bad advice from his attorney...imo ....sound familiar?

I think it is dangerous to guarantee an outcome for your client. Or even come close to doing so...

My opinion...

[I have no idea if Baez did or not. It's not good for a client to feel so sure of acquittal...]

(snip)

Article:

From above post...

"He doesn't let his ego into the way," Mackenzie said of Baez.

Where on earth has Mackenzie been living for the last six months or so? Mars? Did she actually make this statement while keeping a straight face? :doh:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RainbowYarnSlueth
Back