GUILTY Bali - Sheila von Wiese Mack, 62, found dead in suitcase, 12 Aug 2014 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, just thought I might weigh in here about the baby. There is a likelihood of the child being orphaned. Despite being born in Indonesia, she will also be an American citizen because of her parents. She will need to be made a ward of the state in the US, (not sure how that happens) because in effect she has no parents able or willing to ensure her future. I think it is more about that, than inheritance.
What a horrible legacy for the poor baby to grow up with.
I think the representative for the child is known as a GAL or Guardian ad Litem. IMO, and I'm sure someone will set it right if necessary :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_guardian

[cuts] I s/h/posed my earlier question this way:
W notoriety of death, could ins co slip up & pay HM $ (EFT-a US bk ac of hers),
if she finangled the right docs to ins co, while Bali crim charges are still pending?[cuts]

Your point is an important one, al66pine. Here are some thoughts relevant to your question as to whether Sheila’s insurance company could have slipped up and already paid Heather life insurance benefits:

1. In the article I quoted and linked to in post #718, it specifically says an insurance company should not pay out if the beneficiary is a suspect, if there is a homicide investigate ongoing, or if the beneficiary may be pending trial. All three of those things are the case in the matter of Sheila’s death, so that makes it difficult to imagine Heather, or anyone, could access the insurance funds quickly. Heather was arrested the day after the murder, so her possible culpability was clear even before the autopsy and thus before the death certificate could have been issued. (It is possible, of course, that Sheila’s insurance company does not follow these procedures.)

2. One thing I didn’t mention from the Schuman article, but which is interesting and relevant, is that insurance companies have been sued and lost in the past for paying out policies to beneficiaries who have murdered the policyholder. Any insurance company in any murder has a financial interest in not paying the wrong party (so that the company doesn’t have to pay out twice and doesn’t have the expense of defending itself in court). My guess is that insurance payouts in murder cases probably take longer than payouts in other types of death. Or at least in cases where the beneficiary could even possibly be considered the murderer. That’s purely a guess on my part.

3. Any insurance company wants to avoid a PR problem. Heather Mack is one of the least likable murder suspects in a high profile case in a long time. No insurance company wants to be known as the one that gave her a big payday only then to find she is convicted of a particularly horrible and callous murder.

4. In your earlier post you asked if a Bali death certificate includes information on manner of death. I don’t know. But there has also been an FBI autopsy conducted here in the U.S. I assume that William Wiese (Sheila’s brother) has been apprised of the results. He may have already communicated this information (as well as the findings of the Bali autopsy) to the relevant insurance company. Or the insurance company, if it follows the procedures recommended in the Schuman article, may have requested that information directly from the FBI (or even Bali authorities). If the FBI is continuing to assist Bali authorities, then it may doing research on Sheila’s assets (like insurance policies) and is in contact with those institutions and people controlling such assets.

5. We have little information on Bali rules of procedure. Is it possible that as long as Heather is under suspicion for the murder she is not entitled to documents like the death certificate, specifically to keep her benefiting from Sheila’s death until a court has disposed of the case against her? This is pure speculation on my part, so it would be useful to know what Bali procedures are in a case like Heather’s.

6. Assuming that Heather wanted to access insurance funds, how would she do it? It’s possible she didn’t even know what company Sheila used for insurance. (When I was that age, I never paid any attention to the companies my parents’ had insurance or stock dealings with.) Even if she asked Elkin to do it, how would he proceed? Do we have reason to believe that any of the people with the relevant information (Sheila’s brother or Sheila’s lawyers) would assist Elkin, given that Heather is under arrest and suspected of Sheila’s murder? To proceed, would Elkin need paperwork that includes Heather’s signature, which would allow him to advance a request for the insurance funds on her behalf? Would the Bali police let Elkin forward such paperwork to them to forward on to Heather? If Bali police require that only an Indonesian attorney be permitted to submit such paperwork to Heather, then this has only recently been possible, since Heather refused to talk to her original Indonesian lawyer. By the time the new Indonesian lawyer came on the scene, Heather’s arrest and possible culpability had been widely publicized.

7. In light of Shuman’s article, is it possible that insurance companies, in cases where death is homicide, require that the beneficiary sign a document which says they have not been questioned by police as to their possible culpability in the homicide or something similar? Heather may have no compunctions about lying, but Elkin would be the attorney submitting the papers. Wouldn't he know the ramifications of filing declarations that are false and therefore not do it? Would his filing such paperwork affect him directly? Again, these are speculative questions.

8. Schuman notes that it has been the case that an insurance company’s life insurance policy has included the expressed provision that the company will not pay anyone (that is, not even the alternate beneficiaries of the policy) if the beneficiary murders the insured party. (“The insurer may include a contractual provision expressly terminating its liability in the event the beneficiary unlawfully kills the insured.” This was a case in Idaho. http://www.thefederation.org/documents/schuman.htm just before and including footnote 124.) Should Sheila’s policy have such a provision, that would suggest that her insurance company would always wait to pay out until it had eliminated murder as the manner of death, and then established that the beneficiary was not the murderer. There would be no chance of slipping through a fast one by Heather under these conditions.

For all these reasons, I don’t think it is likely that Heather has already or can any time soon, obtain access to Sheila’s life insurance payout. That is a good thing, in my view.

Sorry this post is so long. But I would be horrified if Heather could financially benefit from murder, so I’ve spent a good deal of time thinking and reading about this issue.

PS: Does "SBM" mean "shortened by me"?

snipped by me (I believe)

You may be "newone" but I'm newer than you! Since I'm still trying to figure things out, I'm grateful for the explanation.

TBM
[Thanks by me. :giggle: ]

Michael Elkin and Vanessa Favia have spoken to the press today.

Elkin:
"I just hope that public opinion is really should be held until there's more that comes out in terms of evidence and not to judge at this point, because it's a little bit early to make all the negative feedback that obviously has been in the press. But it's very important for people to realize that this is an ongoing investigation."

Favia:
"Currently she's three months pregnant and that was confirmed in an ultrasound which I had an opportunity to view with Heather, and I am here to make sure that she's getting proper nutrition and that she's been taken care of, and getting all the medical attention that she needs, so that she can have a healthy baby in the future."

See:
http://www.reuters.com/video/2014/0...sted-in-bali?videoId=343293196&videoChannel=1

ETA: Here's another link to the same video. It runs more smoothly in my browser:
http://www.newslook.com/videos/7457...ction-with-mother-s-murder-pleas-for-patience

Also ETA: Elkin's statement is the verbatim transcription published by Reuters, and while he sounds awkward even when speaking, his remarks are even more awkward when you read them. (He looked tired on the video, but still, you'd think he would know that reporters would question him.)

Your point is an important one, al66pine. Here are some thoughts relevant to your question as to whether Sheila’s insurance company could have slipped up and already paid Heather life insurance benefits:

1. In the article I quoted and linked to in post #718, it specifically says an insurance company should not pay out if the beneficiary is a suspect, if there is a homicide investigate ongoing, or if the beneficiary may be pending trial. All three of those things are the case in the matter of Sheila’s death, so that makes it difficult to imagine Heather, or anyone, could access the insurance funds quickly. Heather was arrested the day after the murder, so her possible culpability was clear even before the autopsy and thus before the death certificate could have been issued. (It is possible, of course, that Sheila’s insurance company does not follow these procedures.).
....snipped ....
4. In your earlier post you asked if a Bali death certificate includes information on manner of death. I don’t know. But there has also been an FBI autopsy conducted here in the U.S. I assume that William Wiese (Sheila’s brother) has been apprised of the results. He may have already communicated this information (as well as the findings of the Bali autopsy) to the relevant insurance company. Or the insurance company, if it follows the procedures recommended in the Schuman article, may have requested that information directly from the FBI (or even Bali authorities). If the FBI is continuing to assist Bali authorities, then it may doing research on Sheila’s assets (like insurance policies) and is in contact with those institutions and people controlling such assets.

Sheila's brother, IIRC, is executor of her estate - in probate ct.
He may also be successor tt'ee of her trust.
Still wondering who she named as life ins beneficiary, as
it seems, imo, neither of those 2 fiduciary positions entitles him to any info or $ re life ins,
unless she named trust as beneficiary or named 'estate' as beneficiary.
Certainly brother could provide info to ins co re the death and re Heather's arrest and crim charges.
Yes, FBI autopsy done in US, so that autopsy rpt may have bn provided to Ins Co.

Putting myself in Heather's state of mind after arrest -(a very naive mind?) - how she would try to get $ for legal rep in Bali?
If she knew uncle was successor tt'ee (I'm assuming he is, but may not be)
she might anticipate he would refuse to pay counsel for her, in this circumstance.
I thought about various types of assets and property & which types might be fastest and easiest for her to access.
Of course, from foreign jail, none would seem to be easy.
But life ins benefit is likely - generally speaking- to be faster than any probate proceeding. jmo

5. We have little information on Bali rules of procedure. Is it possible that as long as Heather is under suspicion for the murder she is not entitled to documents like the death certificate, specifically to keep her benefiting from Sheila’s death until a court has disposed of the case against her? This is pure speculation on my part, so it would be useful to know what Bali procedures are in a case like Heather’s.
Possibly.
I wonder if she or anyone there in confinement sends and receives uncensored mail.

6. Assuming that Heather wanted to access insurance funds, how would she do it? It’s possible she didn’t even know what company Sheila used for insurance. (When I was that age, I never paid any attention to the companies my parents’ had insurance or stock dealings with.) Even if she asked Elkin to do it, how would he proceed? Do we have reason to believe that any of the people with the relevant information (Sheila’s brother or Sheila’s lawyers) would assist Elkin, given that Heather is under arrest and suspected of Sheila’s murder? To proceed, would Elkin need paperwork that includes Heather’s signature, which would allow him to advance a request for the insurance funds on her behalf? Would the Bali police let Elkin forward such paperwork to them to forward on to Heather? If Bali police require that only an Indonesian attorney be permitted to submit such paperwork to Heather, then this has only recently been possible, since Heather refused to talk to her original Indonesian lawyer. By the time the new Indonesian lawyer came on the scene, Heather’s arrest and possible culpability had been widely publicized.

7. In light of Shuman’s article, is it possible that insurance companies, in cases where death is homicide, require that the beneficiary sign a document which says they have not been questioned by police as to their possible culpability in the homicide or something similar? Heather may have no compunctions about lying, but Elkin would be the attorney submitting the papers. Wouldn't he know the ramifications of filing declarations that are false and therefore not do it? Would his filing such paperwork affect him directly? Again, these are speculative questions.
Good question.

8. Schuman notes that it has been the case that an insurance company’s life insurance policy has included the expressed provision that the company will not pay anyone (that is, not even the alternate beneficiaries of the policy) if the beneficiary murders the insured party. (“The insurer may include a contractual provision expressly terminating its liability in the event the beneficiary unlawfully kills the insured.” This was a case in Idaho. http://www.thefederation.org/documents/schuman.htm just before and including footnote 124.) Should Sheila’s policy have such a provision, that would suggest that her insurance company would always wait to pay out until it had eliminated murder as the manner of death, and then established that the beneficiary was not the murderer. There would be no chance of slipping through a fast one by Heather under these conditions.

For all these reasons, I don’t think it is likely that Heather has already or can any time soon, obtain access to Sheila’s life insurance payout. That is a good thing, in my view.
Agreed, it's a good thing.

Sorry this post is so long. But I would be horrified if Heather could financially benefit from murder, so I’ve spent a good deal of time thinking and reading about this issue. Me too.

PS: Does "SBM" mean "shortened by me"?
Yes, shortened or snipped.
And thanks, Orange Tabby, for your extensive research & analysis on this.

Police in Bali, who last week began interrogating Mack, told Reuters on Thursday, she would not get special treatment because of her pregnancy.

Favia said Mack was three months pregnant. "I'm here to make sure that she's getting proper nutrition and ... all the medical attention she needs, so that she can have a healthy baby in the future," Favia said.

Asked how Mack was feeling, Favia said: "She's glad to have her team of lawyers to support her."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-bali-suitcase-murder-suspect-20140917-story.html

Police in Bali, who last week began interrogating Mack, told Reuters on Thursday, she would not get special treatment because of her pregnancy.

Favia said Mack was three months pregnant. "I'm here to make sure that she's getting proper nutrition and ... all the medical attention she needs, so that she can have a healthy baby in the future," Favia said.

Asked how Mack was feeling, Favia said: "She's glad to have her team of lawyers to support her."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-bali-suitcase-murder-suspect-20140917-story.html

I need a air sickness bag. Sitting on hands. [emoji57]

ciao

I need a air sickness bag. Sitting on hands. [emoji57]

ciao

I imagine HM is enjoying having a "team of lawyers" at her command. If she were in the US I have do doubts she would be the next Jodi Arias, on trial for a brutal slaying and then spending months on trial with ludicrous testimony that savagely attacked and smeared the character of the victim. I wonder if the "poor pitiful me, I was so abused" tactics and lies will work in Bali. I'm thinking not.

HM strikes me as a manipulative person who will adapt to her surroundings and act like she rules it.

How then is Favia going to ensure that Heather gets anything more to eat than rice then? Is she going to stick around for 9 months and provide her with other food???

I imagine HM is enjoying having a "team of lawyers" at her command. If she were in the US I have do doubts she would be the next Jodi Arias, on trial for a brutal slaying and then spending months on trial with ludicrous testimony that savagely attacked and smeared the character of the victim. I wonder if the "poor pitiful me, I was so abused" tactics and lies will work in Bali. I'm thinking not.

HM strikes me as a manipulative person who will adapt to her surroundings and act like she rules it.

Sitting, sitting hands are numb but still sitting. Lol

ciao

How then is Favia going to ensure that Heather gets anything more to eat than rice then? Is she going to stick around for 9 months and provide her with other food???

I can't find anything to indicate that an American has spent any time in a Bali prison and certainly not for murder. I wonder if HM's lawyers figured just the pressure of "America is watching how you treat these two" would give them some perks. And I wonder if that would work? I also would assume that, if they do have access to money for HM, they would be arranging with her lawyer to make sure she gets everything she needs and lining his pockets as well. Works well for Joran's lawyer.

MOO

I can't find anything to indicate that an American has spent any time in a Bali prison and certainly not for murder. I wonder if HM's lawyers figured just the pressure of "America is watching how you treat these two" would give them some perks. And I wonder if that would work? I also would assume that, if they do have access to money for HM, they would be arranging with her lawyer to make sure she gets everything she needs and lining his pockets as well. Works well for Joran's lawyer.

MOO

I agree, as long as the money is flowing, HM may continue to be brought food and 'necessities' by the Indonesian lawyer/lawyer's rep.

I just can't see how any pressure from the US lawyers would affect them at this point though .. it may even pee them off a bit. As we have talked about before, the US do not even have an extradition treaty with Indonesia .. that does not matter in this case, but it says to me that the relationship is not particularly close.

I know Australia and the UK have both tried to intervene in possible death-penalty cases. The death penalty has been taken off the table in a few cases, but not in others, and penalties have been reduced after sentencing and many years in jail.

The police said just yesterday, according to Reuters, that HM would not get special treatment, and this is despite the baby's lawyer being there and HM's 'team' being there. This probably means that there would be no special treatment prior to court, in court, and for years afterwards. Intervention (reduction in sentence) could possibly happen after things calm down (in 5-10 years) and Indonesia is seen to have treated this case the same as all others imo.

Not unless there is $$$$ to be had-or made somehow! IMO
Book deal? TV deal?
This story has hit and held the interest of much of the world.
Heather, going through her pregnancy in a Bali Jail, will just add to the titillation of readers.
I'm quite sure, that Heather will have NO problem, exaggerating her life and experiences, both before, and after the murder of her Mother.
With an American lawyer by her side, who could communicate to the news, the Bali government will have their hands full.
I have to hand on to Heather. She is a crafty one.
Heck, that girl's been honning her skills since she was 9 years old!

Unless, the Bali government has rules, to stop her from talking with this American attorney, they're screwed.

If, I were them, I'd ship her butt back to America to stand trial.

Not unless there is $$$$ to be had-or made somehow! IMO
Book deal? TV deal?
This story has hit and held the interest of much of the world.
Heather, going through her pregnancy in a Bali Jail, will just add to the titillation of readers.
I'm quite sure, that Heather will have NO problem, exaggerating her life and experiences, both before, and after the murder of her Mother.
With an American lawyer by her side, who could communicate to the news, the Bali government will have their hands full.
I have to hand on to Heather. She is a crafty one.
Heck, that girl's been honning her skills since she was 9 years old!

Unless, the Bali government has rules, to stop her from talking with this American attorney, they're screwed.

If, I were them, I'd ship her butt back to America to stand trial.

With all due respect, I beg to differ. There doesn't seem to be much interest in this case by the media or public from what I've seen. We have a lot of trouble getting any news about it and usually it's either local to Bali or Chicago when we do.

MOO

Is there not a law against making money via the media after a crime? We have a law here called the Proceeds of Crime Act. It covers making money from media stories as well.

“Law enforcers can seize assets, cash, houses, boats ... whatever it is that comes from the proceeds of crime and criminal activity,” senior law enforcement lecturer at Charles Sturt University, Hugh McDermott said.
Unlike murder cases, where the prosecution has to establish guilt beyond reasonable doubt, in proceeds of crime cases there only has to be “reasonable suspicion” that an individual has made a profit from criminal activity.

http://www.news.com.au/national/cou...y-from-her-crime/story-fncynjr2-1226822713727

http://www.news.com.au/world/pacifi...la-mack-revealed/story-fnh819y6-1227064190421
POLICE have revealed the motive for a pregnant teenage girl’s alleged murder of her mum in Bali, whose body was stuffed into a suitcase.
Denpasar police chief Djoko Hari Utomo said that motive for the murder appeared to be that Heather Mack’s boyfriend, Tommy Schaefer, was “offended” by the victim, Sheila Mack.
But Utomo would not elaborate in what way or how Schaefer felt offended by Sheila Mack, who was then murdered.
He also revealed that Heather Mack, who has been accused of murdering her mother, had so far confessed to witnessing the murder.
Utomo said police were still investigating the case but so far intend to charge the pair with premeditated murder, which carries the maximum death penalty, and with murder, which carries a 20-year maximum.

Has there been other cases in Bali where a foreigner is charged with murdering another foreigner they were travelling with? Just wondering if they will be taking this as seriously as if a foreigner had killed an Indonesian citizen?

I don't know about a foreigner murdering a foreigner there, but I do know of another case involving foreigners, and once aspect of it could end up coming up here so I'll include it.

6 years ago this week, 5 Aussies illegally entered Indonesia, flying into Merauke, a small town on the island of Papua - which is the other half of the island that is the country of Papua New Guinea - without visas, which is illegal.

They did a lot of blame shifting as to why it happened and as far as what they did / didn't know beforehand. I'll leave it at that all that is in print at this point isn't entirely accurate (and what I'll link to below is more spot on in parts than others, and the way it all started is not one especially accurate portion in the account - I'm just including that b/c it's got the legal part I think may be relevant)

The short version is they were jailed and sentenced to 2-3 years.

After 9 months they managed to be released to home confinement (also largely scrubbed specifics wise) to a small residence in Merauke. There are a lot of political reasons for what's still out there, but basically now they're trying to depict as not as bad as they were saying while there (describing it as a ramshackled place, etc.) The extent to which they were really allowed to leave is a little different than relayed now, but from one of those involved about once they were on essentially home arrest:

Karen Burke, one of the five, pleaded with the Australian Government to do more to help. "We're scared to death to leave," she said. "We think if we put a foot out the front door we could be arrested on some other charges. Our position is quite precarious."

Even once they were ordered to leave, it ended up being another almost 2 weeks before they got out because of all the back and forth and hoops.

Although it was largely legal issues, there is some truth to the below about it also being a political issue. And it's likely that'll end up coming into play again now - though with all the media attention that may result in a bit more oversight because of all the eyes that'll be on the case compared to the Merauke Five incident.

They also made sure that they did not dump too heavily on the Indonesian authorities although they had strong suspicions that the case was driven by political motivation. "I don't know what was driving the Attorney-General's office, but it was certainly more than the fact that people didn't have visas or that the paperwork was not correct," Mr Scott-Bloxom said.

"It's hard to imagine that you end up in the highest court in the land for a misdemeanour case," Mr Mortimer said.

The part that I think could end up coming into play in this case is about the appeals side of things:

D
efence lawyer Mohammad Rifan told AAP (Australian Associated Press) that under Indonesian law, the prosecutors were not permitted to appeal against a High Court decision. "Under the law of the criminal code, 'article 244', if the court orders the release as soon as possible, right now, you cannot appeal to the Supreme Court," he said. "If this happened for an Indonesian national, they would be free straight away. Why not for an Australian national?"

But an Indonesian law expert in Australia said that while it is true the country does not allow appeal of absolute acquittals, they do allow it in other cases — such as, for example, if someone is acquitted because they were found to be under duress. "The question is whether the Merauke Five's is an absolute acquittal for the purposes of Indonesian law", said Director of the Asian Law Centre at Melbourne University, Professor Tim Lindsey. "That will be a first issue that will be raised when the issue comes back before the courts."

Lindsey noted, however, that Indonesian courts have been "quite inconsistent in how they interpret article '244', and have tended to read it in a way that will allow the appeal to go ahead". He also said that in Australia, it is unusual for a prosecutor to appeal.[3]

So, yeah...at least just a legal incident with foreigners who weren't accused in anything as serious as murder, and some of the things that arose, as well as the appeals bit because it could end up arising down the road a long way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merauke_Five

http://www.news.com.au/world/pacifi...la-mack-revealed/story-fnh819y6-1227064190421
POLICE have revealed the motive for a pregnant teenage girl’s alleged murder of her mum in Bali, whose body was stuffed into a suitcase.
Denpasar police chief Djoko Hari Utomo said that motive for the murder appeared to be that Heather Mack’s boyfriend, Tommy Schaefer, was “offended” by the victim, Sheila Mack. [SBM]

Many thanks for posting this link. Some of the developments reported there are surprising.

The article you cite also says this: "The Indonesian lawyer representing Schaefer resigned yesterday, indicating conflict and saying he could not handle the case independently."

Things are looking very bad for Tommy Schaefer.

It's interesting that the police don't mention money as a motive, or even Heather's uncontrollable anger, particularly when they said a while back that they would have to "look backward" (to the U.S.) for the motive. If money and teenage rage are not part of the prosecution theory, that helps Heather. Yet since the authorities say they will still charge both with premeditated murder I wonder if that means they have some evidence against Heather that we don't know about, or if it means they simply don't believe her version of the story. Or do they think Tommy being offended caused Heather to be offended on his behalf?

Am I the only one who finds it hard to believe that Tommy being offended, with no element of Heather having an independent motivation, is the whole story? Or even the true story?

Could it be that making this motive public is a ploy by police to get Tommy to roll on Heather?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
craig21876