GUILTY Bali - Sheila von Wiese Mack, 62, found dead in suitcase, 12 Aug 2014 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question if anyone has an idea on this?

The Slayer Rule (rethinking a bit) In calculating inheritance of the decedent's estate, the effect of the slayer rule was that the slayer would be treated as though he or she had predeceased the person who had been murdered.

If this is the standard used, Stella would not exist, nor would she. That would be an interesting brick wall to run up against.

IL is predeceased
http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/fulltext.asp?DocName=075500050K2-6

Way back in the threads when we first looked at this, I think I saw something in the Slayer Rule saying that the children of the slayer could not inherit either - thereby giving the slayer no access at all to the money. Not sure if it applies in Illinois though.

This is from the Maryland statute ...

"...... even the children of the slayer cannot inherit from the victim.
The court found that, even though the grandchildren of the victim were innocent of any wrongdoing, they could not inherit from the victim.
The overreaching policy in Maryland is to ensure that the slayer cannot in any way control the disposition of the victim's property."

https://books.google.com.au/books?i...q=slayer rule children cannot inherit&f=false

And North Dakota ...

" ... the children of a slayer were prohibited from inheriting from the estate of the victim."
https://law.und.edu/_files/docs/ndlr/pdf/issues/83/3/83ndlr997.pdf

Does this apply in Illinois too? :waitasec: Either way, if the US courts are anything like our courts, a ruling from another state can be used as a precedent if it makes good, common sense.

I don't think that money is Heather's to sign over to anyone. Are they trying to jump ahead of tomorrow's sentencing? Praying Sheila's brother is going to make a big ruckus. This is all so frustrating!

I think it is a bunch of hoo-ha. Lawyers just trying to get rich.

"Of course Heather, we can try to shift some money to Stella from the trust that you are not allowed access to - against your mother's explicit legally-documented wishes. You don't mind paying our fees to do this? Naturally, we will make application for the trust to pay our fees, on your behalf."

I'm wondering if there will be any new tomorrow. She was trying hard to get a doctors note. Chicago lawyers filing papers for Stella today. I woudn't be surprised if it got postponed.

So verdict at midnight central time. After I watched this video, I dislike those lawyers even more!!!

http://wgntv.com/2015/04/20/suspect...-is-doing-her-best-to-be-a-good-mom-attorney/

What is made clear by Favia is that there is no money for Stella from the trust fund. It doesn't roll over from HM to her.

Now I'd really like to know if they already know what the sentence will be, because it certainly looks like it from the moves made by the US attorneys Favia and Elkin, and if thats true - what are the consequences of that knowledge.
Its too premeditated to get the money to Stella from HM before sentencing.
I really hope that the the transfer is not considered legal and is denied due to HM's involvement of her mothers murder.

There is no remorse from HM - just panic to move the money.
Gross.

n the eve of an anticipated verdict for a Chicago teen charged with killing her mother on the resort island of Bali, the slain woman's sister pleaded with Indonesian officials to hold her niece and the girl's boyfriend accountable.

In a three-page letter to the Tribune, Debbi Curran was critical of the prosecution's request for leniency for the young couple despite describing the crime as premeditated and sadistic. She complained that Indonesian authorities never contacted family or local police, who could document her sister's tumultuous relationship with her daughter.

Curran, of St. Louis, questioned whether the $120,000 her niece so far has received from her nearly $1.6 million trust fund has influenced the criminal trial. Lawyers in the trust case have raised repeated bribery concerns but, without proof, a Cook County judge allowed Mack limited access to the trust fund.

"There are no words to describe how horrific this crime was," said Curran, 60, in a letter to the Tribune. "It does not matter how much money a person has nor does it matter if they are new parents. What matters are their actions before and after the murder."
Bali slaying victim's family outraged by prosecutors' call for leniency
Bali slaying victim's family outraged by prosecutors' call for leniency

She continued: "The punishment should fit the crime. We can only hope that the $120,000 has not and will not affect the outcome of this case and that the Indonesian judges will reach a fair verdict based on the evidence and impose punishment to the fullest extent of the law. The eyes of the world are watching what Indonesia will do."

Curran isn't convinced of her niece's remorse. Besides the defendants' conflicting statements to police, Curran said, the fact that Mack never reached out to family since the slaying indicates a guilty conscience.

"Wouldn't a truly remorseful teenager (who has a cellphone in prison) have called me as her aunt and her second mother to grieve?" Curran said in the letter. "Wouldn't she call her cousins or friends and cry? ... Any reasonable person would be concerned with the turn of events since this large sum of money has been delivered to Heather's lawyer in Indonesia."

She also questioned why Mack never called police or the U.S. Consulate. In an earlier interview with the Tribune, Mack said she and her boyfriend repeatedly called police afterward, but they received an answering machine each time. Mack said she loved her mother and thinks of her every day.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...mack-family-statement-met-20150420-story.html

What is made clear by Favia is that there is no money for Stella from the trust fund. It doesn't roll over from HM to her.

Now I'd really like to know if they already know what the sentence will be, because it certainly looks like it from the moves made by the US attorneys Favia and Elkin, and if thats true - what are the consequences of that knowledge.
Its too premeditated to get the money to Stella from HM before sentencing.
I really hope that the the transfer is not considered legal and is denied due to HM's involvement of her mothers murder.

There is no remorse from HM - just panic to move the money.
Gross.

So true.

Too little too late. The family should have been in Bali front and center for at least a few weeks of this trial or at least sent that 3 page letter to the President and the Corruption Committee months ago when HM first started asking WW for money. And they should have been voicing these concerns to Bali media weeks ago, not Chicago media the day before the verdict.

MOO

So verdict at midnight central time. After I watched this video, I dislike those lawyers even more!!!

http://wgntv.com/2015/04/20/suspect...-is-doing-her-best-to-be-a-good-mom-attorney/

How can Favia sit there and say this with a straight face? If HM loves her child, she will give her up...period. Judge Cohen needs to force her to do this by cutting her off all funds. Recognize that Stella's only use to HM is what she can use her for. CPS needs to figure out how to remove a baby who is a US citizen from a Bali prison.

MOO

Too little too late. The family should have been in Bali front and center for at least a few weeks of this trial or at least sent that 3 page letter to the President and the Corruption Committee months ago when HM first started asking WW for money. And they should have been voicing these concerns to Bali media weeks ago, not Chicago media the day before the verdict.

MOO

I wish we were hearing news that SvWM's family were in Bali in the Court room for the Judgement and Sentencing too.

Wont be long now for news - its 11:15am there now...

How can Favia sit there and say this with a straight face? If HM loves her child, she will give her up...period. Judge Cohen needs to force her to do this by cutting her off all funds. Recognize that Stella's only use to HM is what she can use her for. CPS needs to figure out how to remove a baby who is a US citizen from a Bali prison.

MOO

Watching the video and then reading your post Kamille, I wonder about the competency of Stella's representative Favia - I don't see that Stella's best interests are being put ahead of HM or the money at all - the child is still in Prison - and what has changed Elkin's mind - he wanted to get off the case and now he seems very smug and supportive - it is coming across almost sinister.

Watching the video and then reading your post Kamille, I wonder about the competency of Stella's representative Favia - I don't see that Stella's best interests are being put ahead of HM or the money at all - the child is still in Prison - and what has changed Elkin's mind - he wanted to get off the case and now he seems very smug and supportive - it is coming across almost sinister.

It is sinister. It's a bunch of ambulance chasers trying to get a payout from a dead woman's estate via her murderer. And an innocent baby is now caught up in the mix with nary an advocate or GAL to be seen to help get her the hell out of there. Away from her obviously personality disordered violent mother in a Bali prison and into the arms of a loving family for good.

It's beyond outrageous how this whole thing has played out in both countries and I'm sure it will just get worse when we hear the verdict and sentence.

MOO

http://www.fox10phoenix.com/story/2...-newborn-daughter-as-possible-execution-looms

The Chicago woman charged with killing her mom at a Bali resort will find out if she faces a firing squad in less than four hours.
Now, Heather Mack is scrambling to make sure her own daughter is taken care of.
Mack is turning over one third of her 1.6 million dollar trust fund to her infant daughter on the eve of her verdict.

She can freely make changes to her trust until May 11th, which is 9 months after her mother, Sheila Von Wiese-Mack, was killed.

Then, a Board of Trustees would have to approve any further changes.

Mack and her daughter, Stella, are currently in a jail-cell along with 8 other women and one other child in Bali.
According to her attorneys, Bali allows children to be with their mothers behind bars for up to two years and regardless of the verdict, Mack's attorney said she wanted to ensure her daughter's future.

“She's fallen in love with her daughter. She's a new mom. Stella is 4 weeks old and her daughter's future and safety is paramount to her.
This is a way that she can make sure that her daughter's needs are met.
Because right now Stella is not a beneficiary of the trust.
But since Heather has signed this disclaimer, Stella becomes a beneficiary and Stella can start getting funds immediately available to take care of her needs,” Vanessa Favia said.

The verdict is expected to come down at 1 am, Tuesday, Chicago time.
Her attorney said that Mack maintains her innocence.
After Mack finds out her future, more plans will be made on behalf of her daughter's future as well.
Indonesian prosecutors recommended a 15 year sentence for Mack and an 18 year sentence for her boyfriend, Tommy Schaefer. However, both could be sentenced to be executed by firing squad

My bold 1)
How is this possible?
When is the next court date hearing?

My cold 2)
So, through whose hands is this money expected to pass through to get to Stella - if it is at all even allowed?

My bold 3)
Its Monday 10:40pm in Chicago now

I like how in the People magazine comments that people are mocking her, about how she has a cellphone again after the last one was taken and other things.

The people of Bali are very sensitive right now about losing tourists. The fact that beer/alcohol was almost banned and today's news of the December rape looks really bad. (How the police let the guy get away and the victim had to have a viginity test.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PKBB