Berkeley protest of Milo Yiannopoulos turns violent, event cancelled - live video

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone else find it ironic that if he was a liberal and the rioters were conservative that it's very likely that most would flip their current positions?

Principle over political party. Speak truth to power -- especially when you voted for the person in power. Profiles in Courage wouldn't be a thing if not for people placing principle before party.

That is all.

Can't agree as many of the issues he talks about used to espoused by the other party and I agreed with them on those issues.

rbbm

I had never heard of him either and wish I never had. The violent faction among the protesters managed to squelch his speech at the university but in doing so gave him a much larger platform.

Yes, they did. Sales of his book in the US have gone up 12,000% since the riots.

Now here's the problem. Many western democracies, including the US, UK and Germany, have allowed a class of professional anarchists to become established and to create mayhem almost without sanction. They travel internationally to G8 and G20 meetings, turn up at all sorts of events that should be peaceful for the sole purpose of formenting an all out riot. There are probably a thousand of them in the US, a few hundred in the UK, dedicated to bringing down the state and disrupting the peaceful forms of democratic protest.

I have no doubt that the state knows who most of them are, but our democratic and civil societies have few "acceptable" weapons for dealing with them. If they tried this in Russia they would be machine-gunned in the streets. We may have to seriously consider a draconian and brutal response to them if our democracies are to survive. Stopping them from travelling internationally, by confiscating their passports and the use of biometric ID and screening, would be a start.

Machine gunning protesters. Wow! What is the difference between that and Iran and China and on and on of repressive regimes? The US is a history of protests starting with the Tea Party. I do not agree with the violence but what are we if we are no different than Iran which denies human rights to citizens?

Agree. If Berkley is not going to enforce the law, pull their funding.

One way to concentrate the University management's collective mind would be to blacklist all of its current and future students from ever holding any federal post until the problem is dealt with.

Machine gunning protesters. Wow! What is the difference between that and Iran and China and on and on of repressive regimes? The US is a history of protests starting with the Tea Party. I do not agree with the violence but what are we if we are no different than Iran which denies human rights to citizens?

I agree, it's not acceptable in western democracies to act as the governments of repressive countries would. But can we not allow this to continue.

Draconian could simply mean rounding up all those engaged in riot and sentencing them to 20 years apiece. Take them off the streets for a very long time. After all, they are seriously attempting to overturn governments and societies.

It could mean bringing water cannon onto the streets or riot police going in instead of standing around doing nothing.

this is where you guys aren't seeing it. the masked protesters are PAID TO BE THERE many times... for example in current events there has been a push by the current administration to squelch first amendment rights... so they look for bombastic speakers and send their "protesters" there to underline their point.

I truly believe in free speech and protest. However, the destruction and injury to others is criminal. I'm sure that if the masked protesters/criminals are arrested, the ACLU & other organizations will be lining up to help them.

not really. black bloc may be violent and def not ok, but hate speech mobilizes thousands.

I watched it last night, He is less dangerous then black bloc. Don't know if there's truth to it but have seen some reporting on investigations on the mayor of berkekley and cnn, waiting for msm to report on it, I saw it when looking up stuff but not sure about the links/twitter accounts. we'll see.jmo idk

that sounds like tianmenn square (sp) stuff. im def not for machine gunning anyone. however, if they are identified then why aren't they facing atravel ban? some others who have done nothing are .....

Now here's the problem. Many western democracies, including the US, UK and Germany, have allowed a class of professional anarchists to become established and to create mayhem almost without sanction. They travel internationally to G8 and G20 meetings, turn up at all sorts of events that should be peaceful for the sole purpose of formenting an all out riot. There are probably a thousand of them in the US, a few hundred in the UK, dedicated to bringing down the state and disrupting the peaceful forms of democratic protest.

I have no doubt that the state knows who most of them are, but our democratic and civil societies have few "acceptable" weapons for dealing with them. If they tried this in Russia they would be machine-gunned in the streets. We may have to seriously consider a draconian and brutal response to them if our democracies are to survive. Stopping them from travelling internationally, by confiscating their passports and the use of biometric ID and screening, would be a start.

We can hope cooler heads prevail and people start using their words and intellect to combat hate speech. In the end, violence and hate won't win because most Americans don't want that no matter what side of the aisle they sit. IMO

I have watched a few of the video's out (youtube) were he is speaking to audiences and I must say from what he says I agree with him. What he says does not offend me, not in the least.
If he were straight and I were younger I'd go with him. If he asked. :)

this is where you guys aren't seeing it. the masked protesters are PAID TO BE THERE many times... for example in current events there has been a push by the current administration to squelch first amendment rights... so they look for bombastic speakers and send their "protesters" there to underline their point.
There's a huge flaw to this theory and a similar theory propagated by former Democratic Secretary of Labor Robert Reich*who on CNN last night suggested the anti-Trump riots on campus were actually a right-wing plot to delegitimize liberals: in order to pull this off successfully you have to GUARANTEE that none of the protests or rioters will be arrested because (1) Arrests are public info and an arrestee's party affiliation can be checked out easily (2) People talk and if you're paid to protest or riot and are arrested, you're far more likely to reveal this fact to police than a true believer would be. To successfully pull off this paid rioters drivel you need this silly conspiracy to include the police or somehow guarantee no arrests.

Here's the source for my Reich info:
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/cnn-gues...cret-right-wingers-affiliated-with-*********/

There's a huge flaw to this theory and a similar theory propagated by former Democratic Secretary of Labor Robert Reich*who on CNN last night suggested the anti-Trump riots on campus were actually a right-wing plot to delegitimize liberals: in order to pull this off successfully you have to GUARANTEE that none of the protests or rioters will be arrested because (1) Arrests are public info and an arrestee's party affiliation can be checked out easily (2) People talk and if you're paid to protest or riot and are arrested, you're far more likely to reveal this fact to police than a true believer would be. To successfully pull off this paid rioters drivel you need this silly conspiracy to include the police or somehow guarantee no arrests.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/cnn-gues...cret-right-wingers-affiliated-with-*********/

I tried to find the cnn link to that interview and for some reason it won't come up.:dunno:

I tried to find the cnn link to that interview and for some reason it won't come up.:dunno:

I watched Reich say that nonsense last night on Don Lemon/CNN. He said the protesters were 'right wing paramilitary' members hired by *********. LOL I guess Reich has not been watching all of the recent riots that I have seen. I guess he doesn't read twitter...

here is the video of Reich:

http://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2017/...t-reich-suspects-is-behind-the-berkeley-riot/

LEMON: “You think it’s a strategy by Yiannopoulos or right-wingers? They put this on in an effort to show there’s no free speech on a college campus like UC Berkeley?”

REICH: “I wouldn’t bet against it, Don. Again, I saw these people. They all looked almost paramilitary. They were not from the campus. And I’ve heard — again, I don’t want to say factually, but I’ve heard there was some relationship here between these people and the right wing and the right-wing movement that is affiliated with ********* News.”

LEMON: “It is interesting because there have been protests but nothing this violent. We haven’t seen anything to this level.”

I'm confused. If milo is considered to be far right then what does that make the people protesting him. I know the people there rioting are being labeled anarchists but they sure are not conservatives. jmo

I'm confused. If milo is considered to be far right then what does that make the people protesting him. I know the people there rioting are being labeled anarchists but they sure are not conservatives. jmo

The people protesting him can be found on twitter. They say who they are. They are leftists, liberals, students, progressives, Democrats, political organizers. They talk about the planning of the protests on their twitter accounts. Proudly.

you dont know how deep the pockets that pay them go.

I would be proud to protest him too. but I am not violent nor do I destroy property. not all of these protesters did so.

The people protesting him can be found on twitter. They say who they are. They are leftists, liberals, students, progressives, Democrats, political organizers. They talk about the planning of the protests on their twitter accounts. Proudly.

sure it is, as it is up to me to speak against it as well.

anyways moving along, there is no discourse to be had with apologists.

That's up to them, I have no problem with gays or lesbians. And to add what he says is up to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dylanfoxx