MISTRIAL Bill Cosby -- Charged W/Aggravated Sexual Assault/Other Rape Allegations #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
while I do feel the women have a right to pursue whatever legal charges at their disposal, I must say, I do think some personal accountability is/was in order.

A mutual exploitation was in play. Clearly these women were in it for whatever they could get off BC. Money, Celebrity Dust... whatever.. Those free drinks, drugs, dinner ect... We not really "free", or given because of a pretty smile and a nice personality.

An exchange was taking place. Even if you're not too terribly street wise, most adults know this.

Heck in the seventies there was a popular bumper sticker that perfectly exemplified such mutual exploitation:

Cash, Grass or @ss. Nobody rides for free!"

Grownups know this. They just do.

(I miss the seventies!
People were more honest back-in-the-day).
Yeah, no.

Free drinks, dinner and even drugs don't equal consent. Mistakes, poor choices, or naivete don't substitute consent. Offering to do someone a favor for their career doesn't then mean you have to green light to take advantage of them or their trust.

Most rape victims would give nearly anything to erase their experiences. There is not enough money or fame available to ever account for living with those memories - for all the multiple, myriad ways such an experience affects your life for the rest of your life. No one asks to be raped and no victim's actions, or inaction, should ever justify rape.

Back in the '70s...the good 'ol days...when a husband could brutally and repeatedly rape his wife and never face arrest because it wasn't even considered a crime! Enough said?

It wasn't all bad though - in 1972 the Rape Crisis Center was formed. From their site:
It is common for survivors to feel that they have done something wrong to cause their assault, and to worry about what people will think of them. The court of public opinion is on the hunt for a survivor that is worthy of our sympathy, a victim who no one would find at fault. No matter what someone has done or failed to do, they did not cause their sexual assault, they did not deserve it, and they are worthy of support.
http://dcrcc.org/myths-about-sexual-violence/

while I do feel the women have a right to pursue whatever legal charges at their disposal, I must say, I do think some personal accountability is/was in order. A mutual exploitation was in play. Clearly these women were in it for whatever they could get off BC. Money, Celebrity Dust... whatever.. Those free drinks, drugs, dinner ect... We not really "free", or given because of a pretty smile and a nice personality. An exchange was taking place. Even if you're not too terribly street wise, most adults know this. Heck in the seventies there was a popular bumper sticker that perfectly exemplified such mutual exploitation: Cash, Grass or @ss. Nobody rides for free!" Grownups know this. They just do. (I miss the seventies. People were more honest back-in-the-day).

You mean you miss the 70s with the Vietnam War, the Kent State massacre, the repercussions of MLK's assassination, Watergate, few career options for women (poor childcare options playing a part in this), prospective employers being allowed to ask questions regarding an applicant's sex life, less economic power for women (until the Equal Credit Opportunity Act in 1974, women were not able to apply for credit), high unemployment, rampant inflation, a time when homosexuality was listed as a form of insanity in the DSM, and extreme prejudice was considered the norm?

There are good and bad aspects of every period of human existence, IMO, no matter what the decade or epoch. People may place their trust in those who do not deserve it. People may lie in order to get what they want. People may agree to sexual activity for some benefits. People may expect sexual activity to bestow benefits. People may also believe that the benefit on offer is not worth the emotional and physical price of sexual activity and decline. People may or may not accept the rejection of the offer with good grace. Forcing sexual interaction if not mutually beneficial. IMO, mutually beneficial if very different than what happens when sexual activity is forced. Forced sexual interaction is, IMO, an assault upon someone's body, mind and spirit.

The victim of an assault deserves support, and help to heal. Often, in an effort to deny that such a horrible experience could ever happen to them, people who are outside of the assault assign guilt not to the perpetrator (who could fight back and accuse them of slander) but to the person least likely to hurt them--the victim. Saying that the victim is at fault for showing up for a business meeting, or believing that someone would invite them for dinner because they were worth spending time with, is simply a way of ego building.

Saying a victim is more responsible for an assault than the person committing the violence, is, IMO, an attempt to give the perpetrator a pass. Blaming the victim is just another way of saying that the perpetrator had every right to lie, to attack, to objectify, to vilify, to belittle, to demean, to devalue, to brutalize, to gloat, to scar, to sneer, to destroy. There is a reason that rape is considered torture and a war crime. When there is lack of consent to sexual activity, the perpetrator is a rapist. However the victim came to be alone with the perp, whether as part of her work as a maid in Victorian household, or as part of his mentoring program as an altar boy in medieval France or 70's Boston, part of his/her secretarial work, part of what might turn from a social meeting into a romantic relationship it does not make the rapist any less a rapist.

In fact, telling a woman you are giving them vitamins or cold medicine while actually giving her a drug which will temporarily paralyze her is a very dangerous, psychopathic thing to do. Saying thanks for the headache medicine is not the same thing as saying sure I'll just lie there and you can do whatever perverted thing you want to do.

I take real exception to your minimalizing BC's predatory patterns with the term "mutual exploitation". What BC was engaged in wasn't "free love", or a "casting couch" exchange of sex for possible professional advancement (examples of which may be found in every profession). Some of BC's alleged victims would have consented to engaging in sexual activities with him. That, however, was not what BC seems to have been after, IMO, if the alleged stories are true. Instead, it appears that he did not ask for consent. That he did not want consent. That, in his superior economic and social position, he did not need their consent. There was nothing consensual about any of these stories. There was nothing mutual about a rapist showing his contempt for his victims by using their bodies in the manner of his choosing, at his convenience, and then discarding them with no concern for them.

However, that cute little slogan "Cash, Grass or @ss. Nobody rides for free!" works both ways.

Now is the time when BC has to pay for the ride.

Brilliant post, wendiesan! [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah. It's not like we're experiencing world peace today...
But like you said, there's good and bad in all periods of human existence.

I just don't believe that all these women were "naive". If your going to behave in a preditory fashion, and try to exploit others, you will often find yourself in
a world of hurt. Not saying it was deserved, at all. Of course not. Just think a little common sense, and a a huge dose of personal accountability could have saved these women a whole lot of grief.

Doesn't anyone feel like personal responsibility plays a role in any of our lives? And if not. Why not?

I just don't believe that all these women were "naive". If your going to behave in a preditory fashion, and try to exploit others, you will often find yourself in
a world of hurt. Not saying it was deserved, at all. Of course not. Just think a little common sense, and a a huge dose of personal accountability could have saved these women a whole lot of grief.

Doesn't anyone feel like personal responsibility plays a role in any of our lives? And if not. Why not?

Do you really think these women, by getting together with BC, in the hopes that he could offer mentorship or other assistance to their careers, should have ANTICIPATED that he might DRUG and INCAPACITATE them, to the point they can not give consent to sex? Wow.

What we sadly continue to see is folks conflating "sex" with "rape".

Try to see the difference between these 2 hypothetical scenarios.
One - woman meets famous man, and he offers to meet with her, alone, at his place, to discuss her career aspirations. She may or may not consider sex a possibility. At some point in their meeting man makes a pass at her. She either a. agrees to sex, or b. says no, then either stays and the career advice continues or she leaves.

Two - woman meets famous man, and he offers to meet with her, alone, at his place, to discuss her career aspirations. She may or at not consider sex a possibility. At some point in their meeting, she becomes woozy from something she ingested, unknowingly, or knowingly (but was told it was something innocuous like Benadryl, which really renders it "unknowing") Woman wakes up later, half-dressed, sticky and sore from sexual contact she never consented to.
She's foggy from the drugs, and can't really believe this has happened to her.

Are these two scenarios the same to you?

Do you really think these women, by getting together with BC, in the hopes that he could offer mentorship or other assistance to their careers, should have ANTICIPATED that he might DRUG and INCAPACITATE them, to the point they can not give consent to sex? Wow.

What we sadly continue to see is folks conflating "sex" with "rape".

Try to see the difference between these 2 hypothetical scenarios.
One - woman meets famous man, and he offers to meet with her, alone, at his place, to discuss her career aspirations. She may or may not consider sex a possibility. At some point in their meeting man makes a pass at her. She either a. agrees to sex, or b. says no, then either stays and the career advice continues or she leaves.

Two - woman meets famous man, and he offers to meet with her, alone, at his place, to discuss her career aspirations. She may or at not consider sex a possibility. At some point in their meeting, she becomes woozy from something she ingested, unknowingly, or knowingly (but was told it was something innocuous like Benadryl, which really renders it "unknowing") Woman wakes up later, half-dressed, sticky and sore from sexual contact she never consented to.
She's foggy from the drugs, and can't really believe this has happened to her.

Are these two scenarios the same to you?

" Offers to meet with her, alone, at his place". Not a red flag as all? Not something that would , make you go hmmm. ? Why not?

Ok. I get it . Women should be able to run naked through the back alleys in the combat zone, and whatever happens to them is somebody else's fault.
They don't bear a single bit of responsibility for how they conducted themselves?

BC is a . No doubt about about it. But exploiting people has consequences. No doubt about that either.

"Barbara Bowman claimed she was drugged and raped by Cosby not only once, but on multiple occasions over the course of many years. She claimed Cosby would pay for her to get on planes and fly to different cities where he could re-rape her over and over again. Naturally, any rational thinking person would question the completely illogical reasoning behind these claims. But Bowman explained the reasoning behind these accusations by claiming that Cosby “brainwashed” her into positioning herself to fly around the country to be repeatedly drugged and raped. Umm..Ok"

http://melanoidnation.org/why-is-th...dy-backgrounds-of-some-of-the-cosby-accusers/

How about the personal responsibility of that man to NOT DRUG AND RAPE WOMEN.

Of course he's responsible for his own reprehensible self.

But so are we.

Can a woman take boatloads of money, fly all over the place to meet up with a phycopath to be drugged and raped dozens of times, truly say she is a "victim"? Someone who repeatedly re-enters abusive situations has stopped being a victim and become a volunteer.

Of course he's responsible for his own reprehensible self.

But so are we.

Can a woman take boatloads of money, fly all over the place to meet up with a phycopath to be drugged and raped dozens of times, truly say she is a "victim"? Someone who repeatedly re-enters abusive situations has stopped being a victim and become a volunteer.

Many or most of the women's stories weren't the least bit like that.

It's like you conjured up this totally reckless non-victim in your head and then use it to magically absolve Cosby of his guilt when he did something different to different women in different situations.

while I do feel the women have a right to pursue whatever legal charges at their disposal, I must say, I do think some personal accountability is/was in order.

A mutual exploitation was in play. Clearly these women were in it for whatever they could get off BC. Money, Celebrity Dust... whatever.. Those free drinks, drugs, dinner ect... We not really "free", or given because of a pretty smile and a nice personality.

An exchange was taking place. Even if you're not too terribly street wise, most adults know this.

Heck in the seventies there was a popular bumper sticker that perfectly exemplified such mutual exploitation:

Cash, Grass or @ss. Nobody rides for free!"

Grownups know this. They just do.

(I miss the seventies!
People were more honest back-in-the-day).

It's so good to come across some one that sees the world for the way it really is. :goodpost:

Many or most of the women's stories weren't the least bit like that.

It's like you conjured up this totally reckless non-victim in your head and then use it to magically absolve Cosby of his guilt when he did something different to different women in different situations.

In no way, did I ever say Cosby was anything but the slime ball, that he clearly is.

(I thought there was something creepy about the guy way, way before any of this came out. I remember seeing him on TV and thinking, " There is something really creepy about this guy, he doesn't have a humble bone in his body, despite the hound dog expression he could pull for the camera).

Merely asking someone to examine how some of their own choices may have contributed to their life circumstances is not, absolving their abuser.

I have heard so many women relate histories akin to:
"I dated a guy who waddled and quacked, Became engaged to the waddling quacker, married him... then, years later, they come to support groups totally shocked and devistated to find themselves married to a duck.

what is wrong with examining our own behavior, to see where some of our own poor choices played a role in our lives?

There are a plethora of guys just like BC in this world. Best way to try and avoid becoming a victim is found by strengthening ourselves and becoming more conscious of our own choices. IMO.

Five years ago Katherine Mcknee reportedly loved the drugs, many love affairs, and her wild showgirl lifestyle. She counted among her personal friends, Bill Cosby. "These were lovely wonderful men. They treated me wonderfully".

http://www.candgnews.com/Homepage-Articles/2010/07-07-10/Katherine-McKee-showgirl.asp

That's the reporter's words, putting together two things she said. So it in no way means that she said Bill Cosby treated her wonderfully.

She wasn't ready to come out as a rape victim at the time.

FWIW CC is responsible for appearing for a deposition just like anybody else when ordered to do so by the court. She is responsible for answering questions truthfully because she is testifying under oath. Her counsel will be present to advise her during the process, and to make sure that her best interests (as opposed to BC's best interests) will be served. In her professional roles and influence in BC's career, she is a logical person of interest as a witness to his behaviour, his financial dealings, his travel schedules, and so on. As a deponent, CC has the right to review the complaint, the pleadings, and the answer in order to understand the substance of the litigation. In addition, she has the right to know what other witnesses and expert have said. This information can give her some understanding of the logic behind certain questions that may be asked of her. CC is, of course, free to prepare or not to prepare. I believe that if CC realizes she has made an error in an answer, she has the opportunity to make a correction which will be in the official transcript of the deposition.

If I understand it correctly, the Fifth Amendment is applicable in criminal cases. It prevents the accused from becoming a witness in his/her trial, unless the accused decides to testify. In which the protection of the Fifth Amendment is waived. So this could, I think, only be used if CC believed her answers could lead to her facing criminal charges. So, if CC did help cover up his criminal activity, for instance, and could be criminally liable, she could certainly use this constitutional protection. (This deposition is for a civil, not a criminal case.) Neither does the Massachusetts spousal privilege law apply since this is not a criminal cases, nor is it trial testimony. It is my understanding that CC is instead opting to use the Massachusetts marital disqualification law, which protects her from testifying the content of private conversations between herself and her husband. I believe CC would have discussed all her options fully with both her own legal representation and her husband's legal advisors. If she was involved in hooking the alleged victims up with BC, if she supplied the drugs, if she arranged the meeting places, if she cleaned up the evidence, if she hired middle men to deliver payoffs to buy silence from the alleged victims, if she obstructed police investigations, then she should be, IMO, wrapping herself in the constitution and refusing to answer any questions.

Camille Cosby was born March 20, 1944. Her age does not make her incapable of answering questions in a legal proceeding.

As far as I know, the curiosity of the public is the last thing that will influence the structure of the questions asked during the deposition, the motivation for the questions' designs, the manner and order in which the questions are asked, or the tone in which the questions are presented. CC is supposed to make a clear verbal response to the questions to enable the accurate recording of her answers. She is answerable to the court, not the public, for the way in which she chooses to engage with the lawyers who have requested the deposition.

CC's position as manager of BC's career during the time period in which the alleged crimes took place have made her a witness who might well have(either unknowingly or knowingly) become aware of facts which could help determine the legitimacy of assertions by BC and/or his alleged victims named in this litigation. Her age, IMO, does not make her an incompetent witness. Nor should it, IMO, be a shield to protect her from being an honest participant in this deposition.

You may be right. But the defamation case is about money. Her money and her kids money. As well as his.

So I wouldn't expect her to say much. And I wouldn't expect her lawyers to allow her to say much. Jmo.

They have to prove the assault in 7 cases before knowing if defamation took place imo. So maybe they should stick to that first. Now Cosby admitted in his settlement case to some things pertaining to that victim. But unless he gave any particular names of the other 50 victims; Then the 7 have to prove their case of an assault taking place throughout the defamation civil suit.

Now CC is up there in age and she probably didn't know any of these ladies names prior. And she probably wouldn't remember who is who and what was going on those fateful nights while she was asleep at home. Jmo

The study of a predator's methods of choosing victims, grooming victims, isolating victims, intimidating victims, controlling victims--often done in a manner to disguise the intent of the predator from not only from the victims but from those who might protect and support the victim--is international in scope. As is the study of the fear and misinformation which result in another international behaviour--victim blaming. Life is not always fair or just. It cannot always be controlled. Following prescribed rules does not alway bring about the desired result.

Exaggerating the actions of a victim to somehow achieve parity with the actual criminal behaviour of an assailant is, IMO, based on fear for one's personal safety, and seems to be an attempt to placate the criminal by appearing to be a balanced observer of life. Issuing blanket statements in which one victim's actions are attributed to a group of complainants who have had a variety of experiences is, IMO, an attempt to shut off the voices of everyone attempting to hold a criminal responsible for his actions.

Arguments against a few of the hypotheses regarding victimization upon which victim blaming is based may be found by any interested at the following sites, among many others.

http://everydayvictimblaming.com/personal-experiences/domestic-abuse-grooming-and-victim-blaming/

https://drkathleenyoung.wordpress.com/2012/06/25/how-to-avoid-an-abuser-understanding-grooming/

http://broadblogs.com/2013/03/08/grooming-women-for-battering/

http://www.oprah.com/oprahshow/Domestic-Violence-Abusive-Men

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16931468

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/c...we-help-not-why-didnt-you-leave-30607241.html

FWIW, Juliana Breines, in an article in Psychology Today, wrote about past research regarding the phenomenon of victim blaming.

Lerner theorized that these victim blaming tendencies are rooted in the belief in a just world, a world where actions have predictable consequences and people can control what happens to them. It is captured in common phrases like "what goes around comes around" and "you reap what you sow." We want to believe that justice will come to wrongdoers, whereas good, honest people who follow the rules will be rewarded. Research has found, not surprisingly, that people who believe that the world is a just place are happier (link is external)and less depressed. (link is external) But this happiness may come at a cost—it may reduce our empathy for those who are suffering, and we may even contribute to their suffering by increasing stigmatization.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/in-love-and-war/201311/why-do-we-blame-victims

In this case, I believe most of the complainants are good, honest people who were victimized and had the courage to come forward with no possibility of financial or professional reward in order to stand with another woman who had been mistreated in ways similar to their own experience. I also believe that there were victims who were not taken seriously by LE when they reported BC in the past, and the pain of the rejection added to their frustration and anger. Further, IMO, in order to survive, many women who are complainants, and some who have not identified themselves as his victims in a public forum, never spoke of it because they had already blamed themselves for not being able to see BC's charming and pseudo-helpful behaviour as a mask for his cold, calculating, malicious intent.

In my opinion, a demand that the complainants should consider their own behaviour is not made to circumvent future assaults. It is an attempt to brand the complainants as careless, thoughtless, and irresponsible. It is an order for women to go away and be quiet and blame themselves for something a man of enormous power and influence did to them.

BTW, I think it is a pretty safe bet that most, if not all, the complainants have done a lot of thinking about the circumstances surrounding the assaults. They have played out hundreds of alternative scenarios in their minds. Recalling the terror and humiliation is something they have already done without being told to do so by people terrified that it could happen to them.

The study of a predator's methods of choosing victims, grooming victims, isolating victims, intimidating victims, controlling victims--often done in a manner to disguise the intent of the predator from not only from the victims but from those who might protect and support the victim--is international in scope. As is the study of the fear and misinformation which result in another international behaviour--victim blaming. Life is not always fair or just. It cannot always be controlled. Following prescribed rules does not alway bring about the desired result.

Exaggerating the actions of a victim to somehow achieve parity with the actual criminal behaviour of an assailant is, IMO, based on fear for one's personal safety, and seems to be an attempt to placate the criminal by appearing to be a balanced observer of life. Issuing blanket statements in which one victim's actions are attributed to a group of complainants who have had a variety of experiences is, IMO, an attempt to shut off the voices of everyone attempting to hold a criminal responsible for his actions.

Arguments against a few of the hypotheses regarding victimization upon which victim blaming is based may be found by any interested at the following sites, among many others.

http://everydayvictimblaming.com/personal-experiences/domestic-abuse-grooming-and-victim-blaming/

https://drkathleenyoung.wordpress.com/2012/06/25/how-to-avoid-an-abuser-understanding-grooming/

http://broadblogs.com/2013/03/08/grooming-women-for-battering/

http://www.oprah.com/oprahshow/Domestic-Violence-Abusive-Men

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16931468

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/c...we-help-not-why-didnt-you-leave-30607241.html

FWIW, Juliana Breines, in an article in Psychology Today, wrote about past research regarding the phenomenon of victim blaming.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/in-love-and-war/201311/why-do-we-blame-victims

In this case, I believe most of the complainants are good, honest people who were victimized and had the courage to come forward with no possibility of financial or professional reward in order to stand with another woman who had been mistreated in ways similar to their own experience. I also believe that there were victims who were not taken seriously by LE when they reported BC in the past, and the pain of the rejection added to their frustration and anger. Further, IMO, in order to survive, many women who are complainants, and some who have not identified themselves as his victims in a public forum, never spoke of it because they had already blamed themselves for not being able to see BC's charming and pseudo-helpful behaviour as a mask for his cold, calculating, malicious intent.

In my opinion, a demand that the complainants should consider their own behaviour is not made to circumvent future assaults. It is an attempt to brand the complainants as careless, thoughtless, and irresponsible. It is an order for women to go away and be quiet and blame themselves for something a man of enormous power and influence did to them.

BTW, I think it is a pretty safe bet that most, if not all, the complainants have done a lot of thinking about the circumstances surrounding the assaults. They have played out hundreds of alternative scenarios in their minds. Recalling the terror and humiliation is something they have already done without being told to do so by people terrified that it could happen to them.

BBM
Wendiesan, thank you for posting this.

Also, the terror and humiliation will never go away. JMO
These emotions will ease depending on the person, therapy and time but will always be there, if only driven to the back of ones mind in an attempt for peace and sanity. JMO

Just because one wears a seat belt, doesn't indicate that they are "terrified" of being injured in a car accident. You make a very poor case against personal safety measures.

https://citizentv.co.ke/lifestyle/bill-cosby-open-to-settling-defamation-claim-119537/

Lawyers representing Bill Cosby and seven women who have accused the comedian of sexual assault are open to settling a defamation lawsuit, they told a federal judge in Massachusetts on Wednesday.
78 year old Cosby had previously rejected an offer to settle the lawsuit. First filed by Tamara Green in 2014 and since joined by six other women, the complaint says the once-beloved entertainer defamed them by saying that they lied when they accused him of sexually assaulting them.

“Mediation might be appropriate here … we’re open to it on our side,” one of Cosby’s attorneys, Marshall Searcy, said during a hearing at U.S. District Court in Worcester, Massachusetts. However, he cautioned that he could not commit to mediation without checking with his client, who has repeatedly denied wrongdoing.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...uestions-honoring-bill-cosby-s-career-n546741
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/27/a...erial-draws-criticism-from-accusers.html?_r=0

Yet another white washed Cosby museum exhibit coming up.

Mr. Cosby’s inclusion is limited to a few artifacts but was never a matter of debate; he was too significant a figure in entertainment and television to leave out. So the museum will feature a single comedy record “I Started Out as a Child,” from 1964, a comic book from his show “I Spy,” and brief video clips from “I Spy” and “The Cosby Show,” which is described in accompanying text as “one of the best-loved American TV shows.

Curators said they wanted Mr. Cosby’s place in history to stand alone without their mentioning the current allegations (which Mr. Cosby denies). “It is hard to identify anyone who had a stronger impact on the representation of African-Americans on television in the 20th century,” said Kathleen M. Kendrick, the curator of the exhibition “Taking the Stage,” which is separate from the timeline.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/27/a...edCoverage&region=EndOfArticle&pgtype=article

I suppose if the museums don't mention it it never happened.

In other news, Janice Dickinson has cancer:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...ickinson-says-she-has-breast-cancer/82340862/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...-to-jian-ghomeshi_us_56f9302ee4b0a372181a5002

When I was seventeen, Bill Cosby offered me a ride.
It was around 1983 in Chicago. My best friend and I were hanging out at a health club, sort of an urban country club. Celebrities appeared in the café every so often. Including Bill Cobsy.
My best friend and I approached Bill. Bill was incredibly kind. So so so nice to us, considering that we were just teenagers. We spoke for a few minutes, then he asked where we were going. We told him. He asked us how we were getting there, we said taxi. He said his car was downstairs and he could be our taxi.

http://pagesix.com/2016/03/24/cosby-wants-accusers-to-hand-over-all-medical-records/
Cosby wants the women's medical records

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member