Bosma Murder Trial 02.16.16 - Day 9

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
What I don't understand is why Millard's lawyer is bringing up the extra stuff in the truck. I can't figure out his point...cross contamination of DNA? Any ideas?

Pillay has focused on the backpack several times.....IMO he is going to say the extra stuff was MS's. IMO he is going to try to spin this....but no clue where he can go with it....bc I honestly don't care who the stuff in the trailer/truck belonged to.....

I'm bothered by the mattresses and couch and box of papers though. What it there are ties to Laura Babcock on these? JMO

They have nothing. Defense is reaching. JMO
And correct me if I'm wrong- the truck was never out in the open at the garage in Hamilton- it was wedged into the trailer and removed once it got to the OPP centre? I may have missed something, so if this wasn't the case, just let me know!

Blood in the rear tire tread? Horrible.

Devil's advocate, but couldn't that be from random road kill? (Sorry.) Personally, I'm hoping that's the case.

(Then again, maybe I'd better scroll back and see if it was explicitly human blood.)

(Edit: I can't find the original source, so someone let me know.)

Devil's advocate, but couldn't that be from random road kill? (Sorry.) Personally, I'm hoping that's the case.

(Then again, maybe I'd better scroll back and see if it was explicitly human blood.)

I don't think we have been given any DNA evidence yet so it could be the case but I doubt it.

I'm bothered by the mattresses and couch and box of papers though. What it there are ties to Laura Babcock on these? JMO

I'm speculating....but I don't think the Crown found anything of value.....IIRC these items weren't brought up until Pillay's cross examination? IMO if there was any useful evidence it would have been presented by the Crown.

Yeah the blood hasn't been tied to anyone (or anything) yet, just identifying where it was found.

I don't know if it's the last we will hear about the other items in the truck. I think what I was reading was that no further forensics were done on those items. I would wonder if we won't hear more these items being searched - things found in the backpack, for example but the office was saying only confirming that further forensic testing was not conducted.

I'm speculating....but I don't think the Crown found anything of value.....IIRC these items weren't brought up until Pillay's cross examination? IMO if there was any useful evidence it would have been presented by the Crown.

My mind also went automatically to LB, but then again, people have mentioned DM being 'thrifty', so maybe he envisioned living out of the trailer when he went to races rather than paying for a hotel.

THe truck was winched into the trailer so the other items would have been placed there afterwards. To fool his mother that he was using the trailer to move his stuff? The mattresses were likely blocking the truck from view.

I think perhaps the stuff was already in there towards the front and then the truck was winched in behind it and then the burned seats were the last thing to go in. It wouldn't surprise me to hear that the trailer was used for moving furniture around and that there was still some stuff in there from a move. Question is, who owns the stuff? Is RP going to suggest that MS just threw his backpack in the trailer at some point? I know this is just forensics info we're getting but I assume at some point we're going to hear what was in the contents of the box, desk and backpack if it is at all relevant to this case. I think we already know that RP will be bringing up the contents of the backpack.

MOO

Hopefully the items are still kept somewhere by investigators just in case.

Court now resuming.
by Adam Carter 12:02 PM

Millard's lawyer Ravin Pillay asking about a winch that was found inside the trailer. It was attached to the front of the trailer and attached to a battery.
by Adam Carter 12:04 PM

It looked like it was situated in a way to pull a vehicle into the trailer, McLellan says.
by Adam Carter 12:05 PM

She says her role was taking photos and also swabbing the truck/trailer.
by Adam Carter 12:05 PM

Seven police officers and two forensic biologists conducted the investigation on the truck itself. One Hamilton officer was there at one point as well.
by Adam Carter 12:06 PM

McLellan says she wasn't part of the gunshot residue tests.
by Adam Carter 12:07 PM

(Edit: I can't find the original source, so someone let me know.)

Yes - we've heard that blood was found in various places on the truck and was sent away for testing. We have yet to hear about the results of those tests from the forensics experts. The way the Crown is building up the narrative, though, seems to suggest that it will be TB's blood.

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 4m4 minutes ago
Jury back. McLellan still under cross by Pillay, who is a little more aggressive than usual.

Susan ClairmontVerified account ‏@susanclairmont 1m1 minute ago
Records show general area where GSW tests were done. Don't "dab" every spot. Dabbed is size of a loonie. #Bosma...now cross by Dungey.

Pillay asks if she took photos of the GSR testing. She said no, because they hadn't done an interior blood exam or fibre taking yet, and they didn't want to mark areas to contaminate anything.
by Adam Carter 12:08 PM

"it's just a general area, and we don't get any more precise than that?" Pillay asks about the GSR testing. "Correct," McLellan says.
by Adam Carter 12:09 PM

Pillay now done cross examination. Mark Smich's lawyer Thomas Dungey now up.
by Adam Carter 12:09 PM

Dungey asks about why she didn't take pictures or video of when GSR testing when it was happening "You have an opportunity to show to this jury exactly where evidence was taken, and you don't take photos of it?" Dungey asks, with his voice raising. "Wouldn't it have been of assistance to the jury?"
by Adam Carter 12:11 PM

"I could have, but I didn't. And we don't generally do that," McLellan says.
by Adam Carter 12:12 PM

Adam CarterVerified account ‏@AdamCarterCBC 43s44 seconds ago
Dungey pressing the witness on why pictures or video weren't taken when gunshot residue was taken. #HamOnt #TimBosma #Bosma

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 2m2 minutes ago
Thomas Dungey, lawyer for Smich, raising voice "So you don't take photos when you could have taken photos?" Leitch on feet to object.

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 49s49 seconds ago
Dungey demanding to know why she didn't photograph/video entire exam process. "I could have, but I didn't," she says. Not police practice.

Dungey asking now why the examination at the outset wasn't videotaped. "If you could take photographs, why couldn't you take video of the whole thing?" Dungey asks. "You chose not to do it. That was a choice you made."
by Adam Carter 12:14 PM

Man. There's GSR is the truck. That's the point. We know generally where it was found. GMAB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChillThrills