Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 3m3 minutes ago
Jury is back. Next witness requires a Spanish interpreter.

Lisa Hepfner ‏@HefCHCHNews 2m2 minutes ago
Next #Bosma witness requires a Spanish-speaking interpreter, who is now being sworn

molly hayes ‏@mollyhayes 1m1 minute ago
Back. Next witness: Javier Villata. There is an accredited Spanish interpreter here to assist him. Both are sworn in. #Bosma

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 2m2 minutes ago
Witness is Javier Dillada. #Bosma

molly hayes ‏@mollyhayes 42s43 seconds ago
Villata does speak some English. But he must answer in Spanish, through interpreter. #Bosma

Does he ask the people who appear to have been "gifted" by MB if they are nervous? Did he ask either LW woman or SS if they were nervous? I can't remember.

When DM was writing to CN about getting someone to change their testimony, was he telling her to make sure they went to see his lawyer so that things could get "fixed" on the cross examination? Was this all when DP was still the lead attorney?

MOO

IMO, the defence approach is going to backfire because it implies that the witness has or should have something to feel nervous about when testifying truthfully about DM, and IMO, that doesn't look good on DM. As a juror I think I would interpret that "Are you nervous?" question as a not-so-subtle intimidation tactic, IMO.

It's as if anyone who is prepared to speak the truth in front of the all-powerful and influential DM is going to be reminded that they have reason to feel nervous. After all, if guilty as charged, DM doesn't appear to like it when people go against him or get in his way, IMO. I know I'd be terrified of testifying against him!

All MOO.

The next witness is Javier Villata. He's using a Spanish interpreter.
by Adam Carter 11:49 AM

Villata says he worked for Millard's father Wayne starting in June or July of 2008.
by Adam Carter 11:51 AM

He started working for Dellen Millard.
by Adam Carter 11:52 AM

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 1m1 minute ago
Crown Leitch asking how he knows Millard. "I know him through his father. He gave me a job. June or July 2008."

Villata knew Dellen Millard through his father Wayne, who gave him a job back in 2008. #Bosma

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 23s23 seconds ago
Began working for Dellen Millard in August 2008. Doing renos at 307 Riverside, house owned by Wayne Millard.

molly hayes ‏@mollyhayes 55s56 seconds ago
He started to be employed by Dellen in Aug 2008. Villata did renovations at their Riverside Dr. property. #Bosma

Adam Carter ‏@AdamCarterCBC 18s19 seconds ago
At one point he was renovating the basement of a Millard-owned home that had six apartments in it. #TimBosma #Bosma

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 15s16 seconds ago
There were 6 apartments in that house on a fancy street in Toronto.

He was redoing the basement. It was a large house on a fancy street in TO, Crown asks? Yes. #Bosma

Villata Homes was a company started by Dellen Millard. They were going to do construction/renovations. Flip houses, basically. #Bosma

Planned to start company with Dellen to buy and renovate homes. Did one house in Burlington.

molly hayes ‏@mollyhayes 51s52 seconds ago
There was a house in Burlington they bought and totally renovated. They did not build any houses from scratch. #Bosma

Adam Carter ‏@AdamCarterCBC 44s45 seconds ago
Villata says he was speaking with Dellen Millard about starting a company called Villata Homes. They'd buy houses and renovate them. #Bosma

They talked about doing it--on Millard's Ayr farm. Villata was there "a lot of times." #Bosma

If SS was the one that CN tried to convince to change their statement would that not have been brought up in court when he testified? It was in the opening statement ...so my guess is that the person she tried to convince will be AM as it looks like he was the one DM told he was going to steal a truck.

On the former, not necessarily. We can't assume that whoever DM had in mind was ever actually approached and as such could not testify about it. On the latter, yes, I think the person who will testify about the plan to steal the truck is a strong possibility. And AM would fit with the idea that DM expressed that the person "would not want to send DM away for 25 years" (paraphrased). It would have to be somebody close enough to him to care. I suppose MM is another possibility.

At one point he was renovating the basement of a Millard-owned home that had six apartments in it.
by Adam Carter 11:53 AM

Villata says he was speaking with Dellen Millard about starting a company called Villata Homes. They would buy houses and renovate them.
by Adam Carter 11:54 AM

They did buy a house in Burlington that they were renovating.
by Adam Carter 11:55 AM

"We were going to build houses on his farm," he says.

Villata says he had been to the Millard farm "a lot of times."

Yes it is. And there was a blank invoice for Vallata Homes on DM's computer. Sounds to me like this is one of the "Columbian contractors" who also happened to be a friend to DM/roommate? or someone who was doing work for him on the properties. Was DM making up invoices for "Vallata Homes" to use to put through MillardAir to pay this person? Even though it appears a company of that name never existed?

Looks like Vallata was also involved in the Riverside Dr incident according to the court case.

MOO

With DM owning different properties and not having any skills, it would make sense for him to have a contractor available to do repairs/maintenance/renos to keep his tenants happy. You may be correct that he was one of the 'Columbians' that were referred to by AJ? Perhaps he doesn't really know the paperwork end of his own biz and had DM do invoices... for Millard Properties.. sounds like somewhat of a conflict, but.. or perhaps Vallata did not own a computer and had to make his bills to Millard Properties more professional looking, etc. Also, with him being included in that small claims court suit, I wonder what that is about. Was it about money the tenant had to spend on her own to get some kind of repair done in her unit and wanted reimbursement? Or was it about car tampering or something? Getting mixed up! Hard to keep up with all of these lawsuits!

Looks like he's up now, so hopefully we'll find out.

They were going to build "big houses" on a section of the farm he says, and a big "estate" around the house. That never happened.
by Adam Carter 11:57 AM

"It just never became a reality."
by Adam Carter 11:57 AM

He says Millard controlled the finances in Villata homes. Says he doesn't know if it was an incorporated business.
by Adam Carter 11:58 AM

Villata says he was paid $27 an hour at the start, but then $22 an hour.
by Adam Carter 11:58 AM

He says his four brothers and their in laws were also working with him.
by Adam Carter 11:59 AM

Villata is from Columbia originally.
by Adam Carter 11:59 AM

Talked about building homes at the Millard farm.

The plan was to use a section of the farm, build big houses. And a big estate around the house. #Bosma

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 56s57 seconds ago
We're going to build "big houses and a big estate around houses" on the farm.

Lisa Hepfner ‏@HefCHCHNews 48s49 seconds ago
Javier Villada was recruited by Dellen #Millard, after reno'ing Millard's dad's posh home. They were going to build up Millard's farm.

Never happened. "It just never became a reality," he says (through interpreter). #Bosma

Formed company controlled by Dellen.

Lisa Hepfner ‏@HefCHCHNews 50s51 seconds ago
The plan to build homes on the farm was never realized. #Bosma

molly hayes ‏@mollyhayes 29s30 seconds ago
Dellen Millard controlled finances of the company, filed documents. Doesn't know if it was incorporated or not. #Bosma

"Ambition" is only useful if you also possess "follow-through".

He came to Canada in 1983. He's a Canadian citizen.
by Adam Carter 12:00 PM

His brothers came over at the same time.
by Adam Carter 12:01 PM

Asked about how often he was paid: "In the beginning, he was very punctual. Later on, every three weeks - maybe even every month." He was supposed to be paid every two weeks.
by Adam Carter 12:01 PM

Thank you Velma and inbetweendoors for the tweets, and anyone else who may help as the day goes on!:loveyou:

I have to leave now but will catch up later. I can't wait to read all your posts when I return. :)

All MOO.

Villata was paid hourly--$27 then $22 because he "had to go down a little." His 4 brothers (+in-laws) also worked for the company. #Bosma

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 57s58 seconds ago
Dillada Homes. He was paid by the hour, $27/hour, but then dropped to $22/hour. His 4 brothers and in-laws worked with him.

Adam Carter ‏@AdamCarterCBC 1m1 minute ago
He says his four brothers and their in laws were also working with him. #TimBosma #Bosma

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 53s54 seconds ago
He is originally from Columbia.

Lisa Hepfner ‏@HefCHCHNews 53s54 seconds ago
Villada was making $27/hr but that was dropped to $22. His brothers worked with him.

The Villata family is from Columbia. Javier came to Canada Nov 18, 1983. He's been a Cdn citizen since 1987. #Bosma

He is now a Canadian citizen. Has children, is married. #Bosma

AC spelled Colombia wrong twice. Not an accident then! :)

molly hayes ‏@mollyhayes 2m2 minutes ago
Millard was very punctual with pay in the beginning. Then it became every 3 weeks or every month. Every 2 weeks was the agreement. #Bosma

In the beginning, Millard paid him regularly. Was supposed to be paid every 2 weeks. Later it was every 3-4 weeks. Cash and cheques.

He was paid both in cash and by cheque. He then paid the other employees when he cashed the cheque. #Bosma

Millard lent him $9,000 to go to Colombia.

Adam Carter ‏@AdamCarterCBC 1m1 minute ago
"Later on, every three weeks - maybe even every month." He was supposed to be paid every two weeks. #Bosma #TimBosma

Millard once loaned him $9k to go to Columbia. #Bosma

Villata says Millard lent him $9K. "I needed the money to go to Columbia."
by Adam Carter 12:02 PM

"I would buy the material with the money he would give me, I would keep the receipts and I would give them to Dellen." Who paid the taxes, Crown Tony Leitch asks. "Supposedly Dellen," Villata responds. "Why do you say supposedly?" Leitch says. "Because I received a statement from the government telling me I owed them money."
by Adam Carter 12:05 PM

Millard said he would be sending cheques and doing income tax returns, but that didn't happen, Villata says. He got notices owing for $3K and $6K. "In the end, I had to fix it myself." He only ever got one T4.
by Adam Carter 12:06 PM

molly hayes ‏@mollyhayes 2m2 minutes ago
Dellen was supposed to be paying the taxes but Villata received a statement from govt saying he owed money. #Bosma

He owed government more than $6,000 in unpaid taxes for the company.

molly hayes ‏@mollyhayes 40s40 seconds ago
He discussed this with Dellen "many times." Villata says Dellen said he was going to pay it. But he ended up fixing it himself. #Bosma

Lisa Hepfner ‏@HefCHCHNews 48s48 seconds ago
#Millard was supposed to pay business taxes, but Villada got hit with $6000 tax bill. He ended up having to pay it

molly hayes ‏@mollyhayes 58s58 seconds ago
Crown asks if he got a T4 from the company. Only at the end of the year in 2013, he says. From Millardair. "Had to be the mother." #Bosma

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 57s57 seconds ago
Millard said he would pay, but then didn't. So Javier had to pay. #Bosma

Adam Carter ‏@AdamCarterCBC 42s42 seconds ago
Villata says Millard told him he'd handle the taxes for the company, but didn't. Got notice he was in arrears. #TimBosma #Bosma

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 59s59 seconds ago
Paid it in $250 instalments.

Adam Carter ‏@AdamCarterCBC 21s21 seconds ago
Villata says. He got notices owing for $3K and $6K. "In the end, I had to fix it myself." #TimBosma #Bosma

Millard was supposed to give him a T4, he says.
by Adam Carter 12:07 PM

Villata says the only homes he ever worked on were somehow under Millard's control, but isn't certain if he owned them.
by Adam Carter 12:08 PM

Villata says he worked on 5 Maplegate and 307 Riverside, where Millard had lived. He also did work in the hangar, and the farm Millard owned.
by Adam Carter 12:09 PM

He also did work on the Distillery District condo.
by Adam Carter 12:10 PM

So was he going to build a bunch of houses and a grand estate at the farm or was he going to turn that barn into a home??? How on earth did DM keep all these different stories straight? MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member