Bosma Murder Trial 06.2.16 - Day 58 - Closing Arguments Day 3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
He says the volume of evidence means his charge will be lengthy. It will be in two segments over two days.
by Adam Carter 4:07 PM

After the charge, they will be sequestered.
by Adam Carter 4:07 PM

Goodman says he's looked at the schedule, and doesn't want to send them out on or close to a Friday. His charge will start on Friday June 10.
by Adam Carter 4:08 PM

The second part of the charge will resume on Monday, June 13.
Then they'll be sent out to deliberate, and sequestered.
by Adam Carter 4:09 PM

That testimony bothered me, because the Bobcat employee testified to having to clean a lot of "bird crap" off the phone. I'd assumed it wasn't actually bird crap.

Bird poop is pretty unmistakable, especially if it's from Canada Geese (not that this was stated in court - I'm just assuming a place like that doesn't have Blue Jays or cardinals covering the lawn in feces). Bird poop is way different than any human by-product. JMO.

Sorry, I probably should have just left this one alone. Nothing like poop talk at the end of a day!

molly hayes ‏@mollyhayes 38s38 seconds ago
Jury's being brought back in. #Bosma

molly hayes ‏@mollyhayes 19s20 seconds ago
Justice Goodman tells them the closing arguments are complete. #Bosma

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 29s29 seconds ago
Jury is back in. Justice Andrew Goodman is speaking to them. "Ladies and gentlemen, closing arguments are complete. And all counsel have...

molly hayes ‏@mollyhayes 24s24 seconds ago
"All counsel have given you eloquent submissions, which gives you much...to digest," he says. #Bosma

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 8s8 seconds ago
"...provided you with eloquent, eloquent submissions." But he must still give his charge before deliberation.

molly hayes ‏@mollyhayes 35s36 seconds ago
But there are no decisions to be made yet. Not until the judge's charge. It is after this that they will head out to deliberate. #Bosma

Adam Carter ‏@AdamCarterCBC 33s34 seconds ago
Once his charge is completely, the jury will be sent out to deliberate on a verdict. #TimBosma #bosma

Lisa Hepfner ‏@HefCHCHNews 46s47 seconds ago
Closing arguments are complete, #Bosma judge tells jury. Last piece is final instructions from judge.

molly hayes ‏@mollyhayes 32s33 seconds ago
He apologizes in advance to them that his charge -- his instructions -- will be "lengthy." #Bosma

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 42s42 seconds ago
"You can appreciate that the volume of evidence we have heard for the past 4 months" plus legal issues, means a 2 day charge.

molly hayes ‏@mollyhayes 53s54 seconds ago
He says he's divided his instructions into two parts, to be given over two days. #Bosma

Lisa Hepfner ‏@HefCHCHNews 36s36 seconds ago
The judge's charge will be lengthy, he tells them. They'll hear it over 2 days. Then they will be sequestered to deliberate. #Bosma

molly hayes ‏@mollyhayes 34s34 seconds ago
Once they head out to deliberate a verdict, they will be sequestered--meaning they are holed up in a hotel for as long as it takes. #Bosma

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 33s33 seconds ago
After his charge they will begin to deliberate. "You will be sequestered and meals and overnight accommodations will be provided for you."

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 24s24 seconds ago
You can appreciate the lawyers took time to prepare, he also needs time to prepare his charge, with help of the lawyers.

molly hayes ‏@mollyhayes 8s8 seconds ago
He tells the jury he requires some time to prepare his charge. He and counsel will meet in their absence to formulate it. #Bosma

molly hayes ‏@mollyhayes 20s21 seconds ago
He tells them he doesn't want to send them out on a Friday. Therefore he will begin his charge next Friday. At 9:30am. #Bosma

Adam Carter ‏@AdamCarterCBC 10s11 seconds ago
Goodman says he's looked at the schedule, and doesn't want to send them out on or close to a Friday. #TimBosma #Bosma

Adam Carter ‏@AdamCarterCBC 37s38 seconds ago
His charge will start on Friday June 10. #TimBosma #Bosma

(Which means that weekend they will still be at home, not sequestered).

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 34s34 seconds ago
"I don't want to send you out on your deliberations on a Friday." So first day of charge, Friday June 10, 9:30. Next part, Monday, June 13.

molly hayes ‏@mollyhayes 28s28 seconds ago
The second part will be delivered on the Monday, June 13. After that, they will be sequestered for deliberations. #Bosma

Lisa Hepfner ‏@HefCHCHNews 47s48 seconds ago
He needs time to prepare his charge, the judge tells the jury. New schedule: first part of charge is Friday June 10. Monday June 13 2nd

Goodman apologizes in advance if this causes them some inconvenience. Trial is now in its fifth month. #Bosma

Lisa Hepfner ‏@HefCHCHNews 15s16 seconds ago
So jury will not be deliberating until week after next. This trial has lasted 4.5 months so far, judge says

That testimony bothered me, because the Bobcat employee testified to having to clean a lot of "bird crap" off the phone. I'd assumed it wasn't actually bird crap.

You mean brains?

Goodman says the trial has gone a little long, but sometimes things go long in a criminal jury case.
by Adam Carter 4:10 PM

So we're clear - Goodman will start his charge next Friday, and finish it the Monday after. So the jury will be out until next Friday.
by Adam Carter 4:11 PM

Goodman again tells the jury not to look at media or social media, or discuss the trial.
by Adam Carter 4:11 PM

So that's it for me live tweeting/blogging until Friday, June 10.
by Adam Carter 4:12 PM

We will be sitting tomorrow and some days next week, but for legal arguments without the jury.

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 39s39 seconds ago
Judge apologizing for length and schedule of trial.

molly hayes ‏@mollyhayes 19s19 seconds ago
He thanks them again for their attention and patience. #Bosma

molly hayes ‏@mollyhayes 31s32 seconds ago
He gives them a "gentle reminder" to please not arrive at any conclusion yet--the trial is not over yet. #Bosma

molly hayes ‏@mollyhayes 17s18 seconds ago
Again, tells them to avoid media and social media reports as they have throughout the trial. #Bosma

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 5s6 seconds ago
Thanks jury for its attention and patience. Jury not back until next Friday. Not to talk with anyone about case, or look at media reports.

Lisa Hepfner ‏@HefCHCHNews 24s24 seconds ago
Jury leaving now until Friday June 10 for charge

So that's it for me live tweeting/blogging until Friday, June 10.

We will be sitting tomorrow and some days next week, but for legal arguments without the jury.

I guess that also applies to you, Meterclicks, Kamille and the rest of the live tweet posters. Good work and thanks!

I guess that also applies to you, Meterclicks, Kamille and the rest of the live tweet posters. Good work and thanks!

Thanks! I'm not sure how I will get through a work day so quickly once this is all over and done with. But of course in all seriousness, completely ready for this whole thing to be over.

So why are they taking a week off?

You'd think judge would have been working on this "charge" during the trial - not now - so yet another week delay - I really feel for the family of Tim.... delay after delay and over 3 years later - we are still waiting for something else - trial not over yet....

So why are they taking a week off?

Molly Hayes tweeted, "[Justice Goodman] tells the jury he requires some time to prepare his charge. He and counsel will meet in their absence to formulate it."

I believe he said "among other things". No doubt, some of his missions, especially "nabbing" a yacht, were going to require some good towing power.

MOO
I thought he said it was for things he wasn't allowed to mention? I'm amazed you can muzzle a defendant. What happens if they blab something they were told not to?

Having lived through OJ Simpson, I don't take anything for granted. Twelve people on the jury, I can guarantee at least one of them has bought in to Smich's story. Hopefully that person can be swayed.

I lived through the OJ trial too, and still remember hearing the verdict on the radio at lunchtime..... it was shocking for sure! A bunch of us just looked at each other incredulously..... did that really just happen???? Perhaps OJ being a celebrity had some impact on the verdict... who knows.

This crime happened sooooo close to home, and I sincerely hope the jury gets it right this time.

The Crown's final comments in closing left me undone. :(

A week of legal arguments over what should and should not be mentioned in the Judge's charge - I realize that it is a very important part of the case to limit the possibility of an appeal, but how will everyone manage to keep their eyes open?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Michavery