Boy bags hog said bigger than 'Hogzilla'

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Pig Was a Monster, but "Fred" Wasn't Wild

FRUITHURST, Ala. (June 2) - The huge hog that became known as "Monster Pig" after being hunted and killed by an 11-year-old boy had another name: Fred. The not-so-wild pig had been raised on an Alabama farm and was sold to the Lost Creek Plantation just four days before it was shot there in a 150-acre fenced area, the animal's former owner said.

Phil Blissitt told The Anniston Star in a story Friday that he bought the 6-week-old pig in December 2004 as a Christmas gift for his wife, Rhonda, and that they sold it after deciding to get rid of all the pigs at their farm. "I just wanted the truth to be told. That wasn't a wild pig," Rhonda Blissitt said.

Jamison Stone shot the huge hog during what he and his father described as a three-hour chase. They said it was more than 1,000 pounds and 9 feet long; if anything, it looked even bigger in a now-famous photo of the hunter and the hunted.

Mike Stone said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press on Friday that he had been under the impression that the hog was wild, not farm-raised.

http://news.aol.com/topnews/article...d/20070525195709990001?ncid=NWS00010000000001

Pig Was a Monster, but "Fred" Wasn't Wild

FRUITHURST, Ala. (June 2) - The huge hog that became known as "Monster Pig" after being hunted and killed by an 11-year-old boy had another name: Fred. The not-so-wild pig had been raised on an Alabama farm and was sold to the Lost Creek Plantation just four days before it was shot there in a 150-acre fenced area, the animal's former owner said.

Phil Blissitt told The Anniston Star in a story Friday that he bought the 6-week-old pig in December 2004 as a Christmas gift for his wife, Rhonda, and that they sold it after deciding to get rid of all the pigs at their farm. "I just wanted the truth to be told. That wasn't a wild pig," Rhonda Blissitt said.

Jamison Stone shot the huge hog during what he and his father described as a three-hour chase. They said it was more than 1,000 pounds and 9 feet long; if anything, it looked even bigger in a now-famous photo of the hunter and the hunted.

Mike Stone said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press on Friday that he had been under the impression that the hog was wild, not farm-raised.

http://news.aol.com/topnews/article...d/20070525195709990001?ncid=NWS00010000000001

What a nice guy, buying his wife a pig for Christmas- geez just what anyone would have always wanted lol

Poor thing, it wasnt even a wild pig-

What a nice guy, buying his wife a pig for Christmas- geez just what anyone would have always wanted lol

Poor thing, it wasnt even a wild pig-
Great that he had an understanding wife. Believe it, or not, some wives would be offended by his perfectly loving gesture.

I wonder if he kept the money from the sale of Fred?? Probably, contrary to a few others that I know of, his wife is easy to get along with......she's an angel...

Great that he had an understanding wife. Believe it, or not, some wives would be offended by his perfectly loving gesture.

I wonder if he kept the money from the sale of Fred?? Probably, contrary to a few others that I know of, his wife is easy to get along with......she's an angel...

Maybe thats what people on farms do- give each other livestock as presents :laugh:

I saw some video once of what goes on at these hunting farms and it literally had me in tears!!! They had the deer drugged so bad that they were staggering and falling down. Another they propped up against the tree for a photo and when it collapsed they propped it up again.
Sorry I dont have a link since its something I saw on TV. And I cant stomach the thought of looking for it and having to see it again. But someone could probably find it if you Search something like "Jimmy Houston, Deer Hunting or Hunting Farm" Something on those lines because the video I saw was about him getting caught hunting on one of these farms.

This makes me sick. That poor animal had no reason to fear humans. He had only known them as caretakers since he was six weeks old. Then he's suddenly thrust into a situation where he's being hunted by humans. I'm disgusted that anyone would do this to an animal. If he was a nuisance, they should have slaughtered him themselves with a single shot to the head. This is no different then turning your pet dog out to be hunted. Some people are just heartless!! :banghead:

I talked with my brother up North this evening. He's a a very serious lifetime, dyed in the wool, outdoorsman, hunter, and fisherman, who has fished and hunted all over the country, plus Canada, and Alaska. He was enraged as to what had happened to poor old Fred, especially that men with high-powered rifles, had allowed this hog to be chased around for three hours, and shot nine times, by a kid with a pistol.

I thought maybe I could coax an indignant response out of some of the ladies, by baiting them, but alas, I couldn't get them to fall for it.

JMO

This pig killing really bugs me since I found out it used to be a pet. Sounds like the owner of the hunting reserve might be in a little bit of trouble. This happened not too far from where I live; I didn't even know there was a hunting reserve there. It very rural and on the edges of a national forest.

http://www.hsus.org/press_and_publications/press_releases/monster_pig_hunt_alabama.html

"In 2006, the Alabama legislature passed a law which prohibits the hunting of native game mammals, non-indigenous mammals, and tame mammals under conditions in which the animal does not have a reasonable opportunity to evade the hunter. This includes animals that are tied, staked, hobbled, or caged and animals that have been released from confinement less than 10 days.
  • Twenty states, including Alabama, have full or partial bans on canned hunts – commercial operations which provide the opportunity to kill a confined animal for a fee. According to an Alabama Department of Conservation and Natural Resources employee, the "monster pig" was killed while trapped within a fenced enclosure.

This makes me sick. That poor animal had no reason to fear humans. He had only known them as caretakers since he was six weeks old. Then he's suddenly thrust into a situation where he's being hunted by humans. I'm disgusted that anyone would do this to an animal. If he was a nuisance, they should have slaughtered him themselves with a single shot to the head. This is no different then turning your pet dog out to be hunted. Some people are just heartless!! :banghead:

This is EXACTLY how I feel. This poor piggy was accustomed to humans as friends (and a good source of food obviously) and suddenly finds himself shot and chased and tortured to death. Disgusting! How can these so-called "hunters" have any pride when they are killing people's pets?!

I thought maybe I could coax an indignant response out of some of the ladies, by baiting them, but alas, I couldn't get them to fall for it.

call me weird but i would love my BF to buy me a pig!!! i love animals and would have a zoo if he would allow. we are already up to 7 pets!! POOR FRED and why is the kid so great?? this is such a sad story. And poo and the people who raised him then allowed him to be killed in this way. sorry as you can tell i am a little upset.

I was completely disgusted when I found out the pig was a pet-pigs when domesticated are supposed to be highly intelligent and docile. George Clooney was well known for his devotion to his pet pig and spoke very highly of it.

I know I said I was'nt going to look for it but I did.
Here is the video that I was talking about.
Warning...Very Disturbing!!!

http://real-hunters.com/bellar-trial-video.cfm

I went to the link but can't make myself look. I have such love and respect for God's creatures that their suffering hurts me to my core.

This past winter, I was standing on the porch of my BIL's hunting lodge watching the deer grazing on the field and thinking "How beautiful!". Suddenly a shot rang out and a gorgeous buck fell in his tracks right before my eyes. I cried like a baby.

Gosh, I hope the young boy who killed Fred won't suffer any repercussions. Poor kid. :(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove
Back