Boy bags hog said bigger than 'Hogzilla'

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This makes me sick. That poor animal had no reason to fear humans. He had only known them as caretakers since he was six weeks old. Then he's suddenly thrust into a situation where he's being hunted by humans. I'm disgusted that anyone would do this to an animal. If he was a nuisance, they should have slaughtered him themselves with a single shot to the head. This is no different then turning your pet dog out to be hunted. Some people are just heartless!! :banghead:

I completely agree with you. This is disgusting. :furious:

I am a hunter.....big time......and I am upset at the hunting preserve and the ignorant morons who sold it to the hunting preserve (they knew what would happen to it).

I must admit to having to shoot a deer more than once....they sometimes have an amazing will to live. But that was out of necessity....oddly enough, she was shot with a high power rifle and lived to run about 100 yards and lived for about 30 minutes longer. However, deer that I shot with my bow and arrow have never gone more than 30 yards after being shot and then fell over stone dead. p.s. it only takes about 3 seconds for a deer to run 30 yards.

I also agree that these hunters with the rifles should have finished this hog off after the first shot was not lethal.

This stinks to high heaven. Looks like the preserve wanted the kid to kill it so that both the preserve and the kid could get some press. This kind of think happens a LOT at these hunting preserves which is why I will never ever go hunt one.

To the kid's defense, he did his best and isn't at fault in all of this. Also, when a pig gets that big, they get nasty mean....just so that you don't get the visions of Wilbur happily trotting through the farmer's barnyard when BOOM, he is shot.

Cal

I talked with my brother up North this evening. He's a a very serious lifetime, dyed in the wool, outdoorsman, hunter, and fisherman, who has fished and hunted all over the country, plus Canada, and Alaska. He was enraged as to what had happened to poor old Fred, especially that men with high-powered rifles, had allowed this hog to be chased around for three hours, and shot nine times, by a kid with a pistol.

Any serious, responsible hunter IS outraged by this. "Sanctuary" hunting is not real hunting... it's a game for idiots to get their jollies without learning the rules or humane ways of hunting.

Any serious, responsible hunter IS outraged by this. "Sanctuary" hunting is not real hunting... it's a game for idiots to get their jollies without learning the rules or humane ways of hunting.

You know, the funny thing is this.

Hunters have a reputation for being rednecks, etc.

However, true hunters......mostly found in bowhunters......are completely different than the stereotypes. Most true hunters...again bowhunters....really love the animals and love to watch them as much as harvest them. Real hunters, pick up trash and junk off properties and carry it out instead of leaving trash. Real hunters spend a LOT of money fixing up habitat for the animals they hunt, feeding the animals during hot summers and cold winters to help the herd, etc. Real hunters are the type that will stop hunting to help look for a missing kid lost in the woods or stop to help a woman change a tire. Real hunters are the most courteous and honest people you could ever meet. Real hunters respect themselves, the land, the animals, and other people.

Sad that we get such a bum rap. I know that there are those who don't agree with what we do (please don't call it a sport in my presence) but believe me when I say that I would just as well live next to a Real hunter than anyone else.

New

You know, the funny thing is this.

Hunters have a reputation for being rednecks, etc.

However, true hunters......mostly found in bowhunters......are completely different than the stereotypes. Most true hunters...again bowhunters....really love the animals and love to watch them as much as harvest them. Real hunters, pick up trash and junk off properties and carry it out instead of leaving trash. Real hunters spend a LOT of money fixing up habitat for the animals they hunt, feeding the animals during hot summers and cold winters to help the herd, etc. Real hunters are the type that will stop hunting to help look for a missing kid lost in the woods or stop to help a woman change a tire. Real hunters are the most courteous and honest people you could ever meet. Real hunters respect themselves, the land, the animals, and other people.

Sad that we get such a bum rap. I know that there are those who don't agree with what we do (please don't call it a sport in my presence) but believe me when I say that I would just as well live next to a Real hunter than anyone else.

New

I, personally, do not hunt. I was raised with hunters though... my father and brother. (My brother is a bow-hunter too.) But, our father raised us to respect not only the gun, but the animal too. There are reasons that hunting is necessary... overpopulation, thinning herds so there's enough food for winter, etc.

But this "sanctuary" hunting is not hunting... it's murder. The animal does not have a fair chance at survival - it's murder, plain and simple.

I, personally, do not hunt. I was raised with hunters though... my father and brother. (My brother is a bow-hunter too.) But, our father raised us to respect not only the gun, but the animal too. There are reasons that hunting is necessary... overpopulation, thinning herds so there's enough food for winter, etc.

But this "sanctuary" hunting is not hunting... it's murder. The animal does not have a fair chance at survival - it's murder, plain and simple.

No doubt, I hate santuary hunting and will never do it.

It is a complete catch 22 for the REAL HUNTERS out there as you get ready to pull the trigger on an animal. When you walk up to the downed animal there is a rush of emotions from happiness, sadness, remorse, respect, etc. It is really hard to understand for those that don't hunt.

It is either in your blood or it isn't.

New

This makes me sick. That poor animal had no reason to fear humans. He had only known them as caretakers since he was six weeks old. Then he's suddenly thrust into a situation where he's being hunted by humans. I'm disgusted that anyone would do this to an animal. If he was a nuisance, they should have slaughtered him themselves with a single shot to the head. This is no different then turning your pet dog out to be hunted. Some people are just heartless!! :banghead:

Agreed, Ntegrity. I'm not a hunter, but I do understand that "hunting" is to an extent a fact of Nature.

But this latest twist makes me a little ill.

No doubt, I hate santuary hunting and will never do it.

It is a complete catch 22 for the REAL HUNTERS out there as you get ready to pull the trigger on an animal. When you walk up to the downed animal there is a rush of emotions from happiness, sadness, remorse, respect, etc. It is really hard to understand for those that don't hunt.

It is either in your blood or it isn't.

New

Cal, am I reading your "catch 22" paragraph as a general statement, not just an account of sanctuary hunting? Why do you oppose sanctuary hunting?

(I'm honestly interested. Not trying to start an argument.)

Somebody needs to take 11 year old Jamison, and his father out hunting with paintball guns; they get to be the hunted, and we agree to only shoot them, nine times, each, at close range. The after-hunt photo-op.......... priceless.

Cal, am I reading your "catch 22" paragraph as a general statement, not just an account of sanctuary hunting? Why do you oppose sanctuary hunting?

(I'm honestly interested. Not trying to start an argument.)

Right, the catch 22 paragraph was relating to REAL, actual hunting. I am telling you guys, there are few greater feelings than to hunt and provide food for yourself and your family. However, I am leery of the bloodthirsty hunters that I often meet in hunting clubs. They are, without exception, NOT bowhunters. Bowhunting is an extemely religious experience, so to speak. There are so many things you have to do right (scent control, sound control, wind direction, tuning of the equipment, etc.) that one small thing is the difference between success and not. I like that I harvested the game so I know where it came from, what it ate, I get to handle the animal myself to ensure proper hygene practices, and ultimately cook the meat. That's full circle and there is something that is just right about that.

However, in light of what you are doing...killing something that God made. That shouldn't be taken lightly in my opinion. I guess I hold a reverence for the animals much like the American Indians did and still do. After killing a deer (I haven't hunted anything else yet), I usually just sit down beside the deer and just kind of listen to the woods around us and think about what it meant that I took that animal's life. I don't take killing lightly or jump up and down like an idiot when I kill one. I generally don't ever mount the heads, rather I put them outside and let nature clean them off and then put them in the garage on the wall. I can still walk by, look at a skull, and remember the hunt and very specific minute details of the hunt....yet can't remember why I was coming out into the garage to begin with. It really is just something in your blood or not...an amazing experience all around.

As for hunting the preserves, I will never hunt them. Now an outfitter say in Utah that hunts private and public land for Elk, let's say, is okay. The difference is that many preserves are high fenced areas of low acerage and often the animals become accustomed to people. In fact, some I have seen have trucks that scatter corn and then when the animals hear the truck start up, they come running right up to the back of the vehicle. Animals are easily patterned and follow established game trails to where you often can be told "sit on this stand and he should come out from behind that tree". As we have seen here, some of these animals are even bought from farmers and put out there. I don't consider that hunting. I only hunt free ranging animals that aren't in pens or fences and those that aren't acclimated to people.

If I am going to hunt, I am going to hunt wild animals. I am going to locate them myself using animal sign, unless it is on a friend's land where he already has stands placed. I am going to get as close to that animal as possible before taking a shot, I am only going to shoot at an animal that is completely broadside to me, I am going to retrieve that game at all costs, and then I am going to eat that animal or give it to friends. That, for me anyway, is the only way to hunt.

I can't explain it but there is a longing in the soul to be self sufficient for REAL hunters. It isn't about killing, in fact, I enjoy the hunts where a deer heard me or saw me move and busted out of there like a freight train. Without exception, the best hunts have been deer where I decided early on not to take the animal and just sat and watched them. My pet peeve is killing a mother when she has yearlings with her. Yearlings are deer that aren't nursing any longer but are staying with mom. I just can't do that and will not. But I have seen some amazing sights watching them still try to nurse and mom running them around trying to teach them to eat grass, etc.

I know a lot of people are repulsed by hunting but hopefully some of those will come to realize that REAL hunters aren't what they are made out to be.

Cal

I know a lot of people are repulsed by hunting but hopefully some of those will come to realize that REAL hunters aren't what they are made out to be.

Cal

You're the kind of hunter I LOVE!! :blowkiss:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rhynonono