Brad Cooper: Appeal info

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
A criminal defense attorney is a criminal defense attorney. It makes no difference if they are paid by us taxpayers or by the criminal himself.

By the way, user Skittles created an awesome index of the deposition that is stickied to the top of forum list.

That deposition index is one of the most useful reference tools ever created on a case on WS. In fact, I got the opportunity to chat with Alice Stubbs at an event a couple years ago and I told her about the index Skittles created on the video dep. She didn't know, but was amazed and impressed someone actually took the time to do all that work. <applause Skittles!>

Bond my eye; he sure has adopted the gangsta look in prison hasn't he? I'm so upset about this; asking for bond. I hope it's denied. Can't have him on the streets. Too dangerous. Someone else will be killed. JMO

If it is offered, the bond amount will be quite high -- I'd guess 1 -- 2 million bucks. But the complication here is that Cooper is a Canadian citizen and his family (parents) is (are) there as well. Plus, I don't know if NC Statutes would allow the Clerk to hold property liens on Canadian assets. I'm not sure what paperwork (a current work VISA would be doubtful, IMO, and I don't know enuff about it to say more) he may still hold which would allow him to be at large in the US. Further, he is obviously indigent, and unless friends/family/benefactor puts it up, he will have to stay behind bars. We'll see in the coming months....

ETA: Let me add, Cherry, that, IMO, your point is well-taken. He is, IMO, dangerous.

If it is offered, the bond amount will be quite high -- I'd guess 1 -- 2 million bucks. But the complication here is that Cooper is a Canadian citizen and his family (parents) is (are) there as well. Plus, I don't know if NC Statutes would allow the Clerk to hold property liens on Canadian assets. I'm not sure what paperwork (a current work VISA would be doubtful, IMO, and I don't know enuff about it to say more) he may still hold which would allow him to be at large in the US. Further, he is obviously indigent, and unless friends/family/benefactor puts it up, he will have to stay behind bars. We'll see in the coming months....

ETA: Let me add, Cherry, that, IMO, your point is well-taken. He is, IMO, dangerous.

Bingo! He has no ties to the community anymore. No job, no family, no nothing. He is the poster psycho for flight risk. No bail no Sir no.

That deposition index is one of the most useful reference tools ever created on a case on WS. In fact, I got the opportunity to chat with Alice Stubbs at an event a couple years ago and I told her about the index Skittles created on the video dep. She didn't know, but was amazed and impressed someone actually took the time to do all that work. <applause Skittles!>

It would be nice to have one of those for some of the trial videos.
Especially for the days covering the topics that will be central in the retrial.

It would be nice to have one of those for some of the trial videos.
Especially for the days covering the topics that will be central in the retrial.

It sure would! You offering? :wink:

If there is a retrial I expect there will be blacked-out testimony again for those same witnesses. That means some of the most crucial testimony will not be available outside of those in the gallery.

I wish the media would find an acceptable solution the court could approve so that the witness's face and voice are not compromised, but the actual testimony could still be streamed. Say, like a virtual Darth Vader mask covering the witness's face along with voice changing software to change tone and octave.
vader.gif

We/They have the technology!

Seems to me, Mad74, that as you say, it should be simple -- just keep the camera on anywhere but the witness stand & run his/her voice through a modifier -- some modifiers are free & online -- vary it some megahertz down or up and it's easily understood, but essentially impossible to identify. Not a big deal at all. Sheesh. Even if all voices during the time the certain witness was on the stand... no biggie.

Thanks you guys! I believe he is a flight risk and that it will be proven at the bond hearing. I hope it's a live feed. I'm saddened for Nancy's family, but I will be here to make sure he never sees the light of day again. Esp not on bond.

My other question was how can the same judge over see a case where he himself was over turned? I dont know NC state laws well enough but I swear in other states, thats a no go.
And yet there was Judge Stephens over seeing that hearing. It was odd to me.

If there is a retrial I expect there will be blacked-out testimony again for those same witnesses. That means some of the most crucial testimony will not be available outside of those in the gallery.

Are the transcripts from the first trial for those witnesses available anywhere online?

Seems to me, Mad74, that as you say, it should be simple -- just keep the camera on anywhere but the witness stand & run his/her voice through a modifier -- some modifiers are free & online -- vary it some megahertz down or up and it's easily understood, but essentially impossible to identify. Not a big deal at all. Sheesh. Even if all voices during the time the certain witness was on the stand... no biggie.

I think the concern is something like this happening:

Murphy Brown - YouTube

Thanks you guys! I believe he is a flight risk and that it will be proven at the bond hearing. I hope it's a live feed. I'm saddened for Nancy's family, but I will be here to make sure he never sees the light of day again. Esp not on bond.

My other question was how can the same judge over see a case where he himself was over turned? I dont know NC state laws well enough but I swear in other states, thats a no go.
And yet there was Judge Stephens over seeing that hearing. It was odd to me.

Judge Gessner presided over the Bradley Cooper case.
Judge Stephens presided over the Jason Young case.

He's gained some weight & looks a bit bulked up. Guess the shaved head and 'stache & goatee are slammer fashion-forward.

Unfortunately for him, with his current appearance he looks more capable of committing the crime than he did during the first trial.

:hills:

MOO

Unfortunately for him, with his current appearance he looks more capable of committing the crime than he did during the first trial.

:hills:

MOO

I think he looks better now than he did before. In 2011, he just looked creepy, pallid, pasty, and dark. Prison seems like it has been better to him (physically) than jail. I was expecting something much worse.

Brad sure looks tan and robust for "being locked away in a dungeon" (Kurtz' exact words during his closing arguments).

I think he looks better now than he did before. In 2011, he just looked creepy, pallid, pasty, and dark. Prison seems like it has been better to him (physically) than jail. I was expecting something much worse.

Agree. Just thinking of him appearing to be more physically fit now. He does look like he has assimilated to prison.

MOO

Brad sure looks tan and robust for "being locked away in a dungeon" (Kurtz' exact words during his closing arguments).

Actually, Central prison is a country club compared to the 11 floor Wake County Jail. Zero sunlight or fresh air has to take it's toll.

Actually, Central prison is a country club compared to the 11 floor Wake County Jail. Zero sunlight or fresh air has to take it's toll.

Yes that's true. I guess he just got moved back to county jail. At the time Kurtz was trying to guilt the jury to acquit by telling them if they convicted BC of murder he would essentially "spend the rest of his life in a dungeon" (i.e. put in state prison). Turns out that "dungeon" life included working in a prison canteen, hours outside, sports with others, working out, playing chess, and getting occasional food perks like pizza and other fast food type items brought in.

Yes that's true. I guess he just got moved back to county jail. At the time Kurtz was trying to guilt the jury to acquit by telling them if they convicted BC of murder he would essentially "spend the rest of his life in a dungeon" (i.e. put in state prison). Turns out that "dungeon" life included working in a prison canteen, hours outside, sports with others, working out, playing chess, and getting occasional food perks like pizza and other fast food type items brought in.

Sounds more exciting than my life right now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay