GUILTY Brock Turner, college swimmer, CONVICTED of rape - sentenced to only 6 months in jail

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
How can it be possible to get 6 months jail time (not prison...jail) and out in 3 for good behavior?! Talk about a slap on the wrist. This disgusts me.

Ok. My dear WS Friends.

I have not read the entire thread but just watched the evening news. I am completely OUTRAGED.

I am the mother of two sons. One who is a senior at University and the other going this Fall.

There is no way in HE** my sons would behave like this young man. I would bet my life on it.

What a creep. The comment "20 min of action" really offended me.

OK. Back to reading. Thanks for letting me rant!

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

The '20 minutes of action' infuriated me as well...shows how he was raised in my opinion. This is just insane!

It also has a statement from a family friend, who happens to be a retired federal prosecutor (that's gotta have some weight...), that was also submitted to the judge;

"A retired federal prosecutor and friend of the Turner family, Margaret M. Quinn, asked the judge to consider the long-term damage inflicted by Turner’s conviction: limited job opportunities and the requirement to register as a sex offender.

“As I know you are aware, the collateral consequences of a conviction are staggering,” Quinn wrote, saying they go beyond his expulsion from Stanford.

She asked the judge to consider allowing Turner to counsel young men and “warning them about the devastating consequences of a single decision.” She suggested Turner could serve as a mentor."

Please keep him away from counseling other young men!!

What in the world is wrong with all these people who apparently can't spare a thought for the VICTIM, whose name is not BROCK?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apparently the perpetrator wants to be an orthopedic surgeon. Anyone else disturbed by that prospect? I wonder if any of his defenders would allow him to operate on their teenage daughter. I think he should be prevented from having a career where he will have continual access to unconscious women. Society is fortunate that we found out how he treats the defenseless before he got unfettered access.

Good Morning Everyone

Apparently, Mr. Stand Out Athlete was not so squeaky clean after all.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/do...inking-doing-drugs/ar-AAgOpS9?ocid=spartandhp

Here's another article showing BT with a bong, hash pipe etc......

"Stanford rapist pictured with a bong: Photos of Brock Tuner 'smoking' prove he lied to judge about illicit drug use while text messages show references to taking LSD and ecstasy"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...t-messages-references-taking-LSD-ecstasy.html

Good Morning Everyone

Apparently, Mr. Stand Out Athlete was not so squeaky clean after all.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/do...inking-doing-drugs/ar-AAgOpS9?ocid=spartandhp[/QUOTE

Here's another article showing BT with a bong, hash pipe etc......

"Stanford rapist pictured with a bong: Photos of Brock Tuner 'smoking' prove he lied to judge about illicit drug use while text messages show references to taking LSD and ecstasy"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...t-messages-references-taking-LSD-ecstasy.html
1. Makes me wonder if he slipped something into the victim's drink, although I suppose that would show up on the tests at the hospital.

2. Hopefully, like Ethan Couch, he won't be able to stay away from the drugs and alcohol and he'll have his probation revoked. At least then he would get a couple years.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

He's appealing his sentence. It seems like by the time his case is heard on appeal his 6 month (three month) sentence will be served. It is my opinion that he is not appealing the jail time, but he is really appealing to get the registered sex offender status off his record.
I am really glad that this case is receiving the attention it is. I don't know that anything can be done to change his jail time, but I am hopeful that with this case getting the attention it is the registered sex offender status will not be taken off his record.

He's appealing his sentence. It seems like by the time his case is heard on appeal his 6 month (three month) sentence will be served. It is my opinion that he is not appealing the jail time, but he is really appealing to get the registered sex offender status off his record.
I am really glad that this case is receiving the attention it is. I don't know that anything can be done to change his jail time, but I am hopeful that with this case getting the attention it is the registered sex offender status will not be taken off his record.

I agree it is for the sex offender status.

Some people just don't know when to be grateful for the things given to them. He is definitely one of them.

I would almost be happy if he appealed and was given a new trial--not for his victim/survivor but for the chance to give him more jail time. That would be sweet in my book. I know he would be convicted again. He could have credit for his six months served and maybe get 6 years.

It's too bad that prosecutors can't appeal a sentence, like South African prosecutors were able to with Oscar Pistorius (sp?)

I have seen one case where the state asked the judge to go beyond the parameters of the sentencing recommendation, it was for a murder case though, and the jury found the defendant guilty of second degree murder, state felt the sentence for that crime was not suitable for the offence the defendant had committed and the judge gave a longer sentence - was the Tara Grant murder,

under English law the state and the defendant can both challenge sentences if they feel they are unduly harsh or lenient

It's too bad that prosecutors can't appeal a sentence, like South African prosecutors were able to with Oscar Pistorius (sp?)

I was just thinking the same thing. I like their system for cases like this. There should be some risk if he wants to appeal.

Instead of a lighter sentence or sentence removed then maybe the risk should be he could get more time.

It would save a lot of court costs and money if when convicted persons appeal then the risk is that the sentence could go up or down.

I don't know the current rules in the US but I think it seems that automatic appeals are always done with the goal of reducing sentences or removing the verdict. I am not sure there is any risk that things could go the other way.
At least it doesn't seem like there is.

The judge ran unopposed in the primary. I hope he faces stiff competition in the general.

And as to the petition to remove he serves no purpose. Those signing the petition must be from his district.

The article repeatedly refers to this information as being in the sentencing documents.

I assume that means that the judge had that information available to him before sentencing the rapist Brock Turner (formerly known as the swimmer Brock Turner) to just six months?
Yes, that is correct, the judge had this information. 😠

www.ted.com/talks/jackson_katz_violence_against_women_it_s_a_men_s_issue?language=en"]https://www.ted.com/talks/jackson_katz_violence_against_women_it_s_a_men_s_issue?language=en

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MG89
Back