CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
my comments from previously posted links:
Someone asked what time last Sunday the daughter escaped to call 911- 6 AM, maybe everyone was still in bed?<snipped>

This may have been answered already but according to newschannel6now, the 911 call was at 12:05am.

I'd quoted a few other posts but they got lost when posting, so will just add (in response to a poster wondering if the parents possibly experienced abuse as children): it's possible. The mom's younger sister was mentioned by name in the news (heavy.com?) as having authored a book. When I looked it up, turns out that was referencing 3 books "co-authored" with multiple "authors" in various self-pubbed compilations. Specifically, she's written 3 individual chapters in 3 different self-published compilations on the topics of resiliance, courage, and endurance. The compilations are put out by Creative Life Publishing and Learning Institute--which I have only found online. There's a tab at the website for reading author bios and for "becoming an author"...and not much else (several tabs go nowhere). No sample passages, no Amazon sales or reviews, though there's an "author bio" page and a Paypal link to process your $19.95. Her bio blurb references "growing up abused"--though to be fair it should be noted that when the parents are deceased, and especially if the other relatives are estranged, the account will obviously be her subjective experience. (Which may have been different from her older sister.)

I find it very strange that they didn't have any children in the first 4 years of marriage. Or at least none that we the public know about.

Further edit: i suppose though thinking about it, that would have been picked up on by the extended family, references to 12 and a new baby on the way etc.
It could be that they tried not to have children until they were more stable (which may have never happened), at least financially. I don't really see anything odd about the number of children in the family, but it isn't (in my experiences) normal for them all to stay home after reaching adulthood. I've known many families with 12 to 20 well-adjusted kids, so I don't believe the number is the problem. I guess I have to go back and check the posts I skipped over and see what I missed. MOO

What struck me immediately about the wedding photos is how incongruous mom's appearance and clothing is from the rest of the scene. The female children are all dressed like the little girls from the Shining, the male children (and dad) are dressed like the Beatles circa 1964....and the mom is dressed like a 25 year old circa 2010s. She is the only one wearing a "modern" bridal dress, albeit one that a 25 year old, not a 40something year old, would be wearing, and definitely not a religously conservative 40something woman. It's unusual to see strapless on a woman her age and in her religion.It strikes me that they've all aged everyone down by about 15 years, herself included. The girls are dressed how a 5 year old would dress, regardless of their various ages, and the mid-40s mom is dressed like a 25 year old - and is giddy like she's a first time bride. Maybe Mom is developmentally disabled in some way? mentally challenged or on the Autism spectrum?

Living in the south and having several Pentecostal Holiness churches around I can attest LT isn't dressed appropriately for their beliefs. Here's some info on what is acceptable and you'll see why I say that. DT may have grown up that way but I don't think they were practicing it. https://www.thoughtco.com/guidelines-of-the-united-pentecostal-churches-700118

I was raised Holiness Pentecostal and while some do adhere to those rules, there are folks who may attend the same church, but may hold different personal beliefs, regarding the UPC "rules". I was permitted to wear shorts, jeans, bikinis, go to concerts, cut my hair, etc... my mother was raised in the church, and she was permitted to do the same, became a teacher, in the church, for decades, and today, wears pants, jewelry, and modest makeup... (no bikinis, or above the knee shorts, in public though, for Mom). Others I've known in the church, did dress extremely modest. Ankle length skirts, modest.

I have been following different threads on WebSleuths for years and this case has been the one to bring me to register. I MUST participate in this discussion. It's too disturbing to let this one go without a further look.
I've been fascinated with this case since the news broke here in Australia.

Request: I've seen a few people here mention that the 17-year-old escapee who alerted LE, took photographs with the phone before she ran. Can anyone please provide me with a source for this info (not the photographs) as I haven't read any further details in regards to that.

I am younger than a few of these victims and I cannot comprehend what suffering they have been through. Last night I went to bed feeling distraught but so, so grateful for my upbringing and safety. It may not have been perfect but it was not this.

I find it very strange that they didn't have any children in the first 4 years of marriage. Or at least none that we the public know about.

This is my first time posting and it should have been a reply to someone, so sorry if it seems a bit random.

Ill try and edit:see below :)

Welcome to WS!

Your post made me think...

I wonder if DT and LT experienced the same thing Jim Bob and Michelle did when they first married.

Birth control, then Michelle had a miscarriage, then stopped the birth control.

We don't know all the details yet.

But it is a possibility.

You could be right. I do recall in my friends case that I think he had to wait about 10 years after the bankrupcy and then certain things cleared up where some things went back to normal for him.

It would be kind of strange I would think to be able to buy another home so quick after a bankrupcy unless maybe financials changed for the person.

I bought a house two years after p bankruptcy

Couple charged with chaining up kids lived in Texas

http://www.wfaa.com/news/crime/ca-c...aining-up-kids-lived-in-north-texas/508417055

FORT WORTH -- A couple arrested for endangering and torturing their 13 children in California lived in North Texas just a few years ago.

According to online records, David Allen Turpin, 57, and Louise Anna Turpin, 49, have ties to Fort Worth, Burleson, and Rio Vista.

David Allen Turpin has a 401(k) from Lockheed Martin, records show . . . more at link above

Someone I know filed for bankruptcy (not sure which chapter) in 2011. Their financial picture looked tremendously better almost immediately as they got a better income and since their old debts were gone, they were able to keep current on any remaining expenses. Their credit score rose surprisingly fast, and around 2014 they were able to secure a substantial mortgage based on their debt to income ratio and fresh credit profile. I was shocked but I guess it does happen.

I wonder if circumstances were similar for David Turpin. Not to mention, he also had 'assets' in the form of his retirement accounts.

I wonder (since they are obviously NOT the best decision makers) if they reformed their spending habits, or could they be close to the brink again and went into a panic mode. They may have been losing control of their financial situation again which triggered them to tightly control anything they COULD control, which happened to be these poor children.

No excuse of course, but maybe a reason? Nevertheless, they failed at the very most basic of parental duties...feeding your children adequately and keeping them safe and from harm physically and psychologically.
I weep for these kids. I truly do.

Wow - it took me 3 1/2 hours to catch up reading this thread from where I left off last night :O

It has been a long time since I read a case as disturbing as this.

Couple charged with chaining up kids lived in Texas

http://www.wfaa.com/news/crime/ca-c...aining-up-kids-lived-in-north-texas/508417055

FORT WORTH -- A couple arrested for endangering and torturing their 13 children in California lived in North Texas just a few years ago.

According to online records, David Allen Turpin, 57, and Louise Anna Turpin, 49, have ties to Fort Worth, Burleson, and Rio Vista.

David Allen Turpin has a 401(k) from Lockheed Martin, records show . . . more at link above

This link says they had "more than a dozen" children... if they moved to CA in 2011 or whatever, that likely means there are children that are unaccounted for.

After getting an idea of their finances, I cannot help but wonder if these parents have used any of their adult children's identities to obtain more credit... moo

Good point!! And if that may have also lead to some of the imprisonment?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BBM, I was raised by my grandparents. They often spoke about the man in the family eating good food while the rest didn't. This is nothing new. I don't believe it's a "religious" thing, just a fact of life, probably practiced by many "tribes" in the old days.

Oh my gosh! Blast from the past. I was born in a smaller, semi-rural town in 1956. The men were always served first, the the women, then the children. It didn't matter in my family, there was always plenty of food.

IIRC, 'the men needed their strength for the field'.

These people seem trapped in the past ~ but which decade?

What is SO WEIRD though is that they are dressed like 5 year olds....but some of them are wearing 3 inch heels!!! They're being infantilized but sexualized at the same time, in a religiously conservative household. (while Mom gets married in a strapless dress!) And why are some of the girls wearing heels clearly meant for grown women while the others are wearing flats or that mary jane block heel? I just can't wrap my head around all the fashion incongruities here.

I hope they are being shielded well. I hope the older “kids” can visit with the younger kids.
How do you move on from this?
I would want a new identity. Jmo.

Wow - it took me 3 1/2 hours to catch up reading this thread from where I left off last night :O

It has been a long time since I read a case as disturbing as this.

Me too as it has gripped me.

Beginning to see details coming out now that seems to prove why nobody was able to help the children sooner.

It appears the parents took steps to make sure nobody was able to question the children.

"They wouldn't let anyone visit and we didn't know their address. I haven't seen her in 19 years. We would talk on the phone from time to time, but every time I would ask to talk to her kids, she wouldn't let me."

"My parents booked several flights to go see them but when they got there they wouldn't tell them where to go and my parents left crying every time. It's just heartbreaking"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...s-found-chained-starving-california-home-say/

Good point!! And if that may have also lead to some of the imprisonment?

VERY GOOD POINT!!!
That would explain the sudden withdrawal from everything in public life. They were weird earlier but maybe the chains and padlocks are new due to the financial gain from adult children?

Oh my gosh! Blast from the past. I was born in a smaller, semi-rural town in 1956. The men were always served first, the the women, then the children. It didn't matter in my family, there was always plenty of food.

IIRC, 'the men needed their strength for the field'.

These people seem trapped in the past ~ but which decade?

The 1890's?

Though with DT's haircut maybe the 1960's Beatles-era

If they were consistently low in Vitamin B12 it would affect their overall growth. I need B12 injections, and one of my breastfed children developed a deficiency as a baby that wasn't picked up until she became failure to thrive. She'd stopped gaining weight and was lethargic at 7 months old, but another significant symptom was that she stopped growing taller and there was a hollow in the back of her head, where those three skull bones are supposed to fuse. Famine-starved children do not stop growing taller, even when they lose weight, but a B12-starved child will almost immediately experience arrested growth. This makes me sound terribly negligent, but we just didn't know, and it was so easily fixed at 7 months old because we were WATCHING our child and consulting doctors the moment we thought something was wrong... Other symptoms of B12 deficiency (that a baby can't tell you) is that your mouth and throat are always sore, so my baby didn't want anything except familiar breast milk. Long term B12 deficiency can also affect emotional responses and the nervous system.
So I think they didn't eat much meat/ animal products, and didn't have the basic nutrition to grow and develop normally. The cut and style of those dresses would also seem designed to bind down/ camouflage even a little sign of breast development - they are definitely "little girl" dresses, rather than dresses worn by a small-breasted woman.

Other observations: I have a new respect for Elvis impersonators who take on clients like that and run with it. Those guys in the videos were all true professionals, helping the kids participate and never losing character for a minute with even a flicker of "Wow, these people are weird." Even in the world of Elvis Vegas weddings, this one would be out of the ordinary. The wedding video reminded me of a kid's party where you hire an entertainer who just takes control and everything goes seamlessly. Only the "kid" in question was the mother.

I noticed that the kids had trouble coordinating and singing (I choose to blame a B12 deficiency) but it also seemed to me that they didn't know the words to the songs. This seemed weird and sad to me too, because if the mother was so fixated on Elvis, surely she'd be playing the music regularly at home or in the car so the kids would know the words. There's another sad aspect to their childhood.

I am recalling a case in Australia where the father had a decent job and was well-respected yet behind the scenes the SAHM simply couldn't cope with 2 children and opted out. One child died when he cut his foot in the rubbish-infested house. While it seems a very different case, I think Louise was completely out of her depth and couldn't admit it, she couldn't deal with adult children so she consciously and unconsciously condemned them to an eternal childhood. She had a fantasy to fulfill and she was fixated on that. Now that sexual abuse seems to have been ruled out, my gut feeling is that she was the driving force behind this, and David didn't risk tarnishing his shining armour by taking the children's side. Although I think they both must be emotionally stunted to keep having babies to reinforce their own beautiful love story when they couldn't seem to interact normally with any of these kids. As someone else mentioned, there is no interaction with the children. Elvis came across as more of a loving parent than the two of them put together.
Again, it's Elvis who has finally got me crying in this. I just want to thank him for giving those little girls a moment of feeling special when he lined them up and told them to each step out into the chapel one at a time - those girls were beaming and they stopped for an individual photo in front of the camera and then kept going, just to blend into the background of their parents' fourth/ fifth special day. Elvis is probably the only one who ever treated any of those kids like an individual.

I'm so sorry that you experienced that.

I agree entirely. What i find most heartbreaking is the girl who i think who may turn out to be the oldest daughter, seemed to be having a good time, it must have felt wonderful for a few moments maybe.

I know hindsight is a wonderful thing, but knowing what we know, it's so bloody awful to watch. That poor boy at 24 minutes, James i think. His legs in those short trousers are just heartbreaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne