CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do apologize because I must sound like the parents in the Charlie Brown cartoons.

Whenever you see my post you just hear "Wah wah waaaah wah waaah"

LOL.

Here's the deal.

No sleuthing of other family members. Doesn't matter who was related to which side of the family that invented that thing from England and passed along the patient to the brother on one side of the family do you get my point? Unless the relative has a direct connection to the criminal part of this case please do not sleuth anyone related to these people.

If you make a statement about injuries or a statement of anything and make it sound like a statement of fact without backing up what you say with a link you will be issued a timeout.

No politics.

I think that's it.

Carry on.

Tricia

From the cnn article:
Ivan Trahan, an attorney who represented the couple at their bankruptcy hearing, told CNN "there was nothing out of ordinary" about the couple when he worked with them in 2011.
David Turpin made about $140,000 per year working as an engineer at Northrup Grumman, according to the bankruptcy documents. His wife's occupation was listed as "homemaker."
They listed about $150,000 in assets, including about $87,000 from 401k plans from Lockheed Martin and Northrup Grumman, according to court papers. The documents listed debts of about $240,000, which included mostly credit card debt and a foreclosed farm in Rio Vista, Texas, valued at $40,000.
Trahan said neither of the Turpins seemed upset they were going through bankruptcy.

I used to work as a bankruptcy paralegal and....their case is nothing unusual in terms of what an attorney would see. They're not gonna bring the kids to the attorney's office. It was likely just two meetings - the initial case evaluation and the court hearing. Then you never see them again. And you see plenty of weirdness working with the general public; half the intake calls are people with mental illnesses. Having lots of kids plus a weird haircut isn't going to set off any alarm bells.

Newer story:

http://www.desertsun.com/story/news/crime_courts/2018/01/16/david/1036288001/

"One former neighbor on Saint Honore Drive in Murrieta, where the family lived before moving to Perris, said he often arrived home from work anywhere from 12:30 am to 3 am and he'd see the father loading up the kids in the van.

"I was wondering what they were doing with them at that time of the night," said Mike Clifford.

Clifford said he only thought there were about six children living there, the oldest appearing to be a 15-year-old boy. At the time, the group owned a pair of Mustangs – each with Texas license plates – and a van.

According to Clifford, his wife encountered two of the girls while they picked up mail at the community mailboxes across the street from the family's home. They dressed alike and spoke in a way that was "robotic."

It wasn't the only odd behavior he and his wife noticed. Occasionally, he saw children walking back and forth between rooms in front of the windows facing his house.

"They would march for hours in the middle of the night," Clifford said. "You could see them pass one window and come around."

Omg this literally made my heart hurt. I wonder if they had tv or can mousers to know anything what a real life was. How did the poor girl even know to dial 911?.

I think the adults will have guardianship assigned to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"They would march for hours in the middle of the night," Clifford said. "You could see them pass one window and come around."[/FONT][/COLOR]

I'd be embarrassed, if I was him, to admit I saw that kind of thing going on and didn't bother to report it to anyone. What's wrong with him.[/QUOTE]

In what world is kids marching in the middle of the night NOT abuse?
Those kids must've looked like Children of the Corn.

But then again, let's say you report it, and nothing comes of it, except for them knowing that you reported it. Now you're their target and you're involved, and you still have to live next door. I would imagine most people just don't want to bring whatever is going on in the house upon themselves.

Another story (video): "Chained Children Weren’t Allowed To Tell People Their Names"

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2018/01/16/chained-children/

According to this video, at one point they had limited interaction with neighbours and authorities - they were confident enough to call the police (or at least talk to the police) when one of the kids was bitten by a dog, and there was a successful follow-up visit, so they had nothing to hide at this point. Also the police came by when their pigs got out, so at one point they were able to manage children and animals... although behind closed doors, things were already unravelling. It sounds like they set up a life for themselves that they couldn't manage or sustain.
I don't really understand the woman neighbour who says that the kids played with other neighbourhood children, but everything stopped when she asked one of the girls her name. Could they really have been playing with other children without giving their names?

I have been following different threads on WebSleuths for years and this case has been the one to bring me to register. I MUST participate in this discussion. It's too disturbing to let this one go without a further look.
I've been fascinated with this case since the news broke here in Australia.

Request: I've seen a few people here mention that the 17-year-old escapee who alerted LE, took photographs with the phone before she ran. Can anyone please provide me with a source for this info (not the photographs) as I haven't read any further details in regards to that.

I am younger than a few of these victims and I cannot comprehend what suffering they have been through. Last night I went to bed feeling distraught but so, so grateful for my upbringing and safety. It may not have been perfect but it was not this.

thank you for sharing your thoughts. Welcome to Websleuths. Glad you tok the time to post. Don’t be a silent lurker :hug:

Couple charged with chaining up kids lived in Texas

http://www.wfaa.com/news/crime/ca-c...aining-up-kids-lived-in-north-texas/508417055

FORT WORTH -- A couple arrested for endangering and torturing their 13 children in California lived in North Texas just a few years ago.

According to online records, David Allen Turpin, 57, and Louise Anna Turpin, 49, have ties to Fort Worth, Burleson, and Rio Vista.

David Allen Turpin has a 401(k) from Lockheed Martin, records show . . . more at link above

oh my gosh .... this may have been going on even before they moved to California. From your link:

They were hoarders, and they moved themselves out of the house and moved into a mobile home they had here,” said one neighbor who asked not to be identified.
A woman who now lives in the house once owned by Louise and David Turpin told WFAA the family lived in the house with more than a dozen children.

"She never allowed her children to go outside and play. They homeschooled every one of them and one day they just up and left,” she told WFAA.

Inside the home, the new owner said she found something unusual. “There are two vents in the closet, and they are covered up now," she said.

Inside the master bedroom closet, there were vents. She wonders if the couple's children were locked in the closet.

And she said when the Turpin's left the home, it was filled with junk. There was so much stuff it was hard to walk inside. "When they left they up and left everything," she said.

HOLY SMOKES!

I read the realtor listing for this house and it legitimately says "bring a paintbrush!" to potential buyers... looking at the pictures that was a bit of an understatement!!
And lots and lots of Lysol and Febreeze from the looks of things. :freakedout:

Another story (video): "Chained Children Weren’t Allowed To Tell People Their Names"

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2018/01/16/chained-children/

Watch the video linked by hndinglove. The new owners of their former house in TX found “scratch marks on the inside of doors. Thought it was from animals”. And the newscaster said CPS in TX has no record of any involvement.

After getting an idea of their finances, I cannot help but wonder if these parents have used any of their adult children's identities to obtain more credit... moo

I'd not be surprised. Not one little bit.

The thing is that in the US we have a strong affinity for independence and privacy in our culture. And that is backed by our constitution which prohibits interference without probable cause that a crime is being committed.

People here are very leery of government. No one would abide routine welfare checks by social services. Most here are suspicious of social services to begin with and view the agency as one that hassles innocent people and fails to protect obviously abused kids.

There really are no easy answers in cases like this. Maybe we all need to be more involved with each other as humans. Ask more questions and show more concern.

Agreed re: the difficulty of watching out for children. This article suggests a different regulatory role for home schoo loversight; https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr...887e4b04f3c55a64f4d?ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009

HOLY SMOKES!

I read the realtor listing for this house and it legitimately says "bring a paintbrush!" to potential buyers... looking at the pictures that was a bit of an understatement!!

What in the world is on those carpets??? I have had four dogs in a carpeted townhouse and mine never looked like that. Good lord.

Before the FB site disappeared, I spent hours last night looking through pictures and the wedding video. In 2013 the girls wore the high heels (and couldnt walk in them). In 2016 they all had chunky maybe 1/2 inch Mary Janes. Just struck me odd. You’d think it would be the other way around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member