CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm so sorry that you experienced that.

I agree entirely. What i find most heartbreaking is the girl who i think who may turn out to be the oldest daughter, seemed to be having a good time, it must have felt wonderful for a few moments maybe.

I know hindsight is a wonderful thing, but knowing what we know, it's so bloody awful to watch. That poor boy at 24 minutes, James i think. His legs in those short trousers are just heartbreaking.

Aww jeez. That hurts to watch. You;re right. It is heartbreaking. And I take back my statement that these kids have any height. That sweetheart was about 18 at that time and looks so much younger and smaller.

Couple charged with chaining up kids lived in Texas

http://www.wfaa.com/news/crime/ca-c...aining-up-kids-lived-in-north-texas/508417055

FORT WORTH -- A couple arrested for endangering and torturing their 13 children in California lived in North Texas just a few years ago.

According to online records, David Allen Turpin, 57, and Louise Anna Turpin, 49, have ties to Fort Worth, Burleson, and Rio Vista.

David Allen Turpin has a 401(k) from Lockheed Martin, records show . . . more at link above

So neighbors in TX say they were hoarders. Moved out of a house into a mobile home. They did have a double wide in the bankruptcy. This article says they just moved, and left everything behind when they went to CA.

That is so weird.

I did wonder why their names haven’t been mentioned in the media - clearly it’s to protect their privacy, but on the other hand they released the name of Michelle Berry’s daughter (Ariel Castro case).

In Australia, the media is not permitted to give the names or show photos of minors connected to criminal cases. This is the legacy of Lindy Chamberlain whose children (with extremely unusual names) were hounded throughout their childhood and stripped of any privacy.
Parents/ guardians have to give permission for the name/ image to be released to the media. The downside is that if one/ both of the parents is involved in the abuse/ death of a child, the child's "namelessness" can make it difficult for the media to keep the story alive.
Grieving grandparents can be frustrated that they aren't able to honor that child's memory by sharing a photo with the media and telling their story. It's an interesting insight into the value of photographs in making a story capture public interest.

Thank you!

Nothing can shut me up now. I don't think I'll ever wrap my head around this one!

First, I said I my opinion, and second, I said just my thoughts.
I didn’t say I was diagnosing as I’m not a doctor nor a mental health professional.
I stated my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I should have said ‘gauged’ instead of ‘diagnosed’. I was clear in acknowledging you were speculating though.

And I don't think anyone is diagnosing. Which is why she stated "don't ask me what". But I see something going on as well. And the doctors have confirmed they are terribly stunted.

Incredibly stunted - I saw a video linked earlier in this thread where a doctor said the 29 year old is physically similar to an underdeveloped 15 year old.

The video also shows LE confirming that three of the Turpin children were chained to furniture.

Edited to add the link to the video:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/video/doctors-speak-abc-news-siblings-233321898.html

When making a CPS report a person can always choose to remain anonymous. I worked for CPS/DCF for 6 years.

My PSA is always always make a report if you have a concern about the wellbeing of a child or adult for that matter! Call your local CPS hotline to make a report, if you do not think someone will be safe for the approx. 48 hours it takes for an investigation to begin call 911!!

I am no longer a social worker but I am that nosey neighbor and community member who will not hesitate to call and report anything suspicious, I've even called and requested a welfare check be done for my sister. I also called and made a DCF report about our old daycare provider who started homeschooling one of their children and told me it was because she needed her help with the daycare, the girl was 11!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

So neighbors in TX say they were hoarders. Moved out of a house into a mobile home. They did have a double wide in the bankruptcy. This article says they just moved, and left everything behind when they went to CA.

It's interesting that they are hoarders, because the story reminded me of an Australian case where the mother was a hoarder and the father turned a blind eye to her neglect/ abuse of the children. She later said in court that she completely lost control and couldn't manage any more and was too ashamed to ask for help.
I don't think we will hear the same belated honesty from David and Louise. The vents in cupboards make the abuse seem more calculated, but I do believe it stems from creating a fantasy life that was overwhelming and unsustainable.

In what world is kids marching in the middle of the night NOT abuse?
Those kids must've looked like Children of the Corn.

But then again, let's say you report it, and nothing comes of it, except for them knowing that you reported it. Now you're their target and you're involved, and you still have to live next door. I would imagine most people just don't want to bring whatever is going on in the house upon themselves.
When making a CPS report a person can always choose to remain anonymous. I worked for CPS/DCF for 6 years.

My PSA is always always make a report if you have a concern about the wellbeing of a child or adult for that matter! Call your local CPS hotline to make a report, if you do not think someone will be safe for the approx. 48 hours it takes for an investigation to begin call 911!!

I am no longer a social worker but I am that nosey neighbor and community member who will not hesitate to call and report anything suspicious, I've even called and requested a welfare check be done for my sister.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

I guess that's why this was allowed to go on for so long---people don't want to get involved. I'm a 'mind my own business' type of person but if I see a child or an animal being abused, I'm on my phone to the PD faster than my daughter can send text messages (and that girl is a pro---trust me). Where I live, you don't have to give your name to report situations like this, you can say you prefer to remain anonymous and the PD will still respond

Before the FB site disappeared, I spent hours last night looking through pictures and the wedding video. In 2013 the girls wore the high heels (and couldnt walk in them). In 2016 they all had chunky maybe 1/2 inch Mary Janes. Just struck me odd. You’d think it would be the other way around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My thought was that they had to buy new shoes each time and you just go to a shoe shop (or buy online) six of the same. It's not about the kids growing older and being able to wear more mature footwear, it's about getting them all to match. So she would have got whatever was available in each size.
Those poor children, I hope they find the world to be a kind and nurturing place now that they are out of their parents' clutches.

In Australia, the media is not permitted to give the names or show photos of minors connected to criminal cases. This is the legacy of Lindy Chamberlain whose children (with extremely unusual names) were hounded throughout their childhood and stripped of any privacy.
Parents/ guardians have to give permission for the name/ image to be released to the media. The downside is that if one/ both of the parents is involved in the abuse/ death of a child, the child's "namelessness" can make it difficult for the media to keep the story alive.
Grieving grandparents can be frustrated that they aren't able to honor that child's memory by sharing a photo with the media and telling their story. It's an interesting insight into the value of photographs in making a story capture public interest.
I’m pretty aware of Australian law, but this is an American case. I have no problem with their identities being protected, but my point was that it’s inconsistent in American media coverage.

Edited to add: actually it’s a bit inconsistent here too. See the case of Chloe Campbell, who was kidnaped in Childers, Qld, a few years ago.

I don't understand how they filed for bankruptcy twice yet are said to own the $300,000+ home. Does "own" mean they paid it off or that they are in the process of owning (as opposed to renting)? How did they qualify for a loan? I don't get it.

jmo

Regarding the Perris home, Mary Cummins claims this:
They bought it new in 2014 for $351,000 with a $344,446 first loan. They weren't in default or foreclosure. They have about $100K+ in equity.

"Writing a book about the Bible is like building a sandcastle in front of the Matterhorn."
- N. T. Wright
Author of Scripture and the Authority of God, 2011.

I was intrigued by the choice of Sandcastle for the "school" name and found this Disneyfied quote.
Maybe Mr. Turnip read it.

I think (someone else correct me if I'm wrong) that if one of their friends fronts up with $9 million, the couple will be allowed out of jail until their court hearing. If they flee from justice, you lose your $9 million.
I very much doubt these two have any friends who would put up $90 to help them out, but an amount like $9 million sounds like LE doesn't want to risk any supporters giving them temporary freedom.

thank you, they dont have to actually pay it though?

I find it odd that the family even had social media accounts, or took vacations to Disneyland, given how otherwise isolated they were. If they wanted to keep the kids restrained forever, why post pics of them on the internet? Why let the older children learn to drive (which they must have if they were seen using the car)? Why live in a house so close to neighbors? So many inconsistencies here.

There's a difference between home schooling and a school. This was called a school and had a principal, Mr. David Turpin, according to records. https://www.cde.ca.gov/SchoolDirectory/details?cdscode=33752006140701

I’m behind so if this has been addressed, my apologies. I don’t know California’s laws but some states offer various options to register for home schooling. In my state, one can register as Home Study or as Non-public, Not Seeking Approval. I homeschool my youngest son and we are registered as a non public (private) school. It’s just me homeschooling one child (my own). No financial incentives, no tax breaks, etc. (The nonpublic option simply means I don’t have to submit a portfolio of my child’s work or have him take standardized tests.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sidsloth