CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
All those kids, and authority figures in that house.
It should be spotless from helpers.
What cuckoo bananas priorities.

So do we have any more info from LE on how long the kids were restrained/chained for? Why they were restrained? What the kids said about what went on in the home? What info the 17 year old gave on the 911 call?

Speculating here - maybe chaining the older kids was a routine bedtime ritual, based on keeping control over them while going to Vegas/ Disneyland was the "reward" to keep them compliant. So everything was going on as normal as far as the parents were concerned, but something happened recently that made the 17 year old feel that she urgently needed help. I would have thought one of the children was sick and being neglected, but there's been no word from LE that one particular child was sicker than any of the others.
If sexual abuse was involved, there would be a lot of other possibilities about why a 17 year old girl would suddenly rebel, but this seems to be ruled out at this point.
I'm assuming the 17 year old wasn't identified by her parents as a "trouble maker" because she hadn't been restrained like other children that night. I don't think I've heard of anyone braver than this girl, to step out into the unknown and ask for help. It might have been a terrible life, but it was the only one she knew and she would have thought that the consequences of speaking out would be bad. My gut feeling is that she felt one of her siblings was in immediate danger, and she needed to get help quickly. If it was planned, maybe two of them would have gone together. Eventually we will find out what happened to make her snap.

Lived in Fort Worth, left the home in foreclosure, and it was a disaster.
Lived in Rio Vista, lived in home, then vacated that and lived in a doublewide. When they up and left, the home was full of stuff and a disaster.
In California, it continues.

This was a hoarding situation, and the children became part of what was being hoarded, IMO. Hoarders who collect animals keep them in absolute filth, and think that they are the only ones who can care for the animals. They can not see what they are doing. Hoarding is a mental illness, and I am willing to bet that one or both parents is a hoarder. IMO they thought they were protecting them from the world and willing to do anything to keep that happening.

Here are some links about how hoarding effects children:
http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/obsessive-compulsive-disorder/hidden-lives-children-hoarders "Even when the house is unfit, hoarders often view their children as safest under their care. Some hoarders will expose their children to abhorrent conditions rather than face public scrutiny and risk losing them. Children often realize if they talk about their family secrets, they could lose their parents and homes."

https://www.anxiety.org/hoarding-effects-in-children-families "Here's what we discovered in families with parents who hoard:
Lack of Awareness: Most parents who hoarded lacked awareness of the severity and consequences of their behaviors.
High Dysfunction: Family dysfunction was generally high in families of hoarders, marked with conflict and difficulties with emotional expression within the home.
Low Communication: Children often lived in an environment of low communication. This came with feelings of alienation and distrust.
Low Quality Relationships: There was a decreased quality of parent–children relationships, even as these children grew into adults.
Lack of Acknowledgement Drove Frustration: The more the parent failed to acknowledge the fault in their hoarding behaviors, the more frustration, resentment, and anger built between them and their children at home."

http://www.smh.com.au/national/how-...t-and-child-endangerment-20141030-11ekad.html "But Dr Christopher Mogan, of the Anxiety Clinic in Richmond and an expert in hoarding, said the condition affects up to 5 per cent of the population. Now recognised as a mental health condition in its own right, hoarding can be triggered by other mental health problems, trauma or change of circumstances.
Hoarders, Dr Mogan said, become secretive and withdrawn and shun outside help. "

Some discussion of California's lax home schooling laws. Hopefully some changes will be made.

http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-ln-perris-home-school-20180116-story.html

Like many California families who choose to home-school their children, the Turpins registered with the state Department of Education. Beginning in 2010, when the family lived in Murrieta, David Turpin filed paperwork to run a private school out of his home, putting himself down as principal of what he called the Sandcastle Day School. For several years, he described it as a full-time, religious school unaffiliated with any denomination, but recently he wrote that it was nonreligious.

He submitted these forms every year, but the information sought by the California Department of Education — such as address, type of school, enrollment — told authorities little about the children’s lives.

That paperwork, known as a private school affidavit, is all that California law requires of home schools.

Neither the Department of Education nor the local school districts had any legal responsibility to knock on the Turpins’ front door, review their curriculum or assess their children’s academic performance.

“We really knew nothing about them,” said Grant Bennett, superintendent of the Perris Union High School District. “If they were in home school from the beginning, they wouldn’t even have been on our radar.”

What a bizarre story, I've spent ages looking at the photos and really struggle to even guess which are the seven adult children. One of the girls looks a bit older, so I guess she's the eldest (although I'd say more like 20 than 29), the tallest boy (with glasses) doesn't really look much over 16 but he was about that tall back in 2011 so he must be one of them... 3-4 more of the girls look mid-teens so presumably are 18+ in reality. If the dates of birth of the older children posted a few pages back are actually accurate then I'm shocked that the middle boy is over 20, he looks about 12!

What a strange family, everything I could say has been said before I think, the Elvis weddings, the Disneyland visits, the thinness and clear lack of development of the children, they've been a very strange family for many years. I hope those poor children (I'm including the adults in that) get plenty of help, poor kids. :(

Maybe the kids were drugged so they wouldn’t develop? They’d just need hormones?

Or they were starved so they wouldn’t develop?

I know it is very early in 2108, however I believe the 17 yr old should be Person Of The Year.
The guts!

Lived in Fort Worth, left the home in foreclosure, and it was a disaster.
Lived in Rio Vista, lived in home, then vacated that and lived in a doublewide. When they up and left, the home was full of stuff and a disaster.
In California, it continues.

This was a hoarding situation, and the children became part of what was being hoarded, IMO. Hoarders who collect animals keep them in absolute filth, and think that they are the only ones who can care for the animals. They can not see what they are doing. Hoarding is a mental illness, and I am willing to bet that one or both parents is a hoarder. IMO they thought they were protecting them from the world and willing to do anything to keep that happening.

Here are some links about how hoarding effects children:
http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/obsessive-compulsive-disorder/hidden-lives-children-hoarders "Even when the house is unfit, hoarders often view their children as safest under their care. Some hoarders will expose their children to abhorrent conditions rather than face public scrutiny and risk losing them. Children often realize if they talk about their family secrets, they could lose their parents and homes."

https://www.anxiety.org/hoarding-effects-in-children-families "Here's what we discovered in families with parents who hoard:
Lack of Awareness: Most parents who hoarded lacked awareness of the severity and consequences of their behaviors.
High Dysfunction: Family dysfunction was generally high in families of hoarders, marked with conflict and difficulties with emotional expression within the home.
Low Communication: Children often lived in an environment of low communication. This came with feelings of alienation and distrust.
Low Quality Relationships: There was a decreased quality of parent–children relationships, even as these children grew into adults.
Lack of Acknowledgement Drove Frustration: The more the parent failed to acknowledge the fault in their hoarding behaviors, the more frustration, resentment, and anger built between them and their children at home."

http://www.smh.com.au/national/how-...t-and-child-endangerment-20141030-11ekad.html "But Dr Christopher Mogan, of the Anxiety Clinic in Richmond and an expert in hoarding, said the condition affects up to 5 per cent of the population. Now recognised as a mental health condition in its own right, hoarding can be triggered by other mental health problems, trauma or change of circumstances.
Hoarders, Dr Mogan said, become secretive and withdrawn and shun outside help. "

Interesting you mentioned this...when I first saw this awful story, I was first thing reminded of someone I know who became an animal hoarder in their 50s, an illness which seemed to present itself and go into full effect during late adulthood. In this person's mind, he was actually helping/sheltering animals (feeding rats, raccoons, etc). I don't know why exactly I thought of him immediately, but there's something about this situation that reminds me of him specifically as far as the mental aspect of this...

Maybe the kids were drugged so they wouldn’t develop? They’d just need hormones?

Or they were starved so they wouldn’t develop?

I am familiar with this, as I have worked with some elementary school aged transgender kids. They (who's "birth gender" is female), are given testosterone shots to delay the onset of puberty (breast development, etc) so that when they are 18 they can legally make the choice to have the gender surgery to become a male.

The article by the forensic psychologist was not very well researched - he doesn't know about Dr Seuss and he miscalculated how long the Turpins were married - but this was a good line about the Vegas weddings that sums up the family relationships:
Here is evidence of the children being treated as decorations for the parents’ rituals.

I thought that exact same thing! The article was crappy, like the writer was just jumping on the bandwagon and liked to *hear* himself speak a lot,
But that one line was worth wading through that self aggrandizing drivel.

Another story (video): "Chained Children Weren’t Allowed To Tell People Their Names"

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2018/01/16/chained-children/

Okay, this made me cry. Thinking about scratches and all the waste. This is beyond horrific. I wonder if people in Texas got too nosy so they moved to California. It seems like people remember odd details about them in Texas whereas they were more mysterious in CA. Just a theory but I'm wondering if they picked up and moved on and took things to a whole new secretive level after their move. These stories are confirming my thoughts that this wasn't a recent development in the last few years. 😥💔

There's a rise in homeschooling in general. Not in abuse within homeschooling families. Unfortunately, dysfunctional families are using homeschooling as a means to hide abuse. So it is attracting some crazy people.

https://digitalcommons.law.byu.edu/...le.com/&httpsredir=1&article=1335&context=elj

https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-sinister-side-of-homeschooling

Also, homeschooling is quite popular among more secretive people and religious people who likely believe more strongly in corporal punishment, which enables a slide into abuse more likely than among people who don't believe in it.

But clearly the vast majority of homeschoolers are normal families. In fact, I think it's safe to say the majority are families who are the opposite of neglectful or abusive as they tend to be super concerned with their kid's educations and very involved in their lives and growth and development.

I think stats bear that out- homeschool kids apparently do well academically in college and are successful in the world.

So I think it's not that people who homeschool are weird or dangerous. But I think weird or dangerous people might be attracted to it.

My gut says that homeschoolers overall have more normal-type families than absolute weirdos. However, as a movement, homeschoolers have tended to resent anything that involves government interference with what they do. As a result, we don't have much in the way of meaningful data about how well their kids are doing educationally. I believe that there are only 2 states that require homeschooled students to participate in annual testing required of public school students. And even in those states, it is fairly easy for parents to simply fly under the radar by not making themselves known to the local school board. There are some studies that are frequently quoted by home school advocates, showing that home schooled students do well on college entrance exams. But, these tests are voluntary, so we don't really know if the kids taking them are the tip of the iceberg, middle of the road or fairly representative. And there are advocates who push involved parents to have their students who do well take the tests to demonstrate that home schoolers are better than others.

We really just don't know. But the scary part to me is that we just don't know where the kids are who are being hidden from sight using home schooling as a means of cover.

One expected baby seems to have disappeared. On Dec 20, 2010, Louise posted a picture on Facebook of the family dressed in red, with a street scene behind them. The children are holding tubes. In a comment, Louise replied "Thanks and in 9 months we will have a new little one to add." But there are already 12 children in the picture, and the baby shown in the last several years appears close to a newborn in the Spring of 2015.

What kind of tubes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s probably unlikely those kids ever seen a doctor or a dentist or got any type of medical care. With 13 kids, chances are at least one of them would have needed basic medical care at some point.

Do we have social media links? I keep hearing about "pictures"?

It’s probably unlikely those kids ever seen a doctor or a dentist or got any type of medical care. With 13 kids, chances are at least one of them would have needed basic medical care at some point.

One of the boys has glasses so he has to have seen an Optomotrist at some point. Even if it wasn't recent.

This is just speculation but but more than one of those children look like they need glasses too... so neglected.

(O/T, I'm behind here, not sure if David Koresh has been mentioned); here are some old articles I found of interest:

Child Survivors Recall Waco Fire 10 Years On
http://abcnews.go.com/Primetime/story?id=131981&page=1

"The children remember a close-knit community in which they were not allowed to have contact with anyone outside the cult. They were taught that there were only two types of people: "good" people who were inside the cult, and "bad" people who were everyone else."

Growing Up Under Koresh - Cult Children Tell of Abuses - NYTimes.com
http://www.nytimes.com/1993/05/04/u...t-children-tell-of-abuses.html?pagewanted=all

Re: Post-incident interviews after the children had some time:
"...Over the course of two months, the kids became increasingly open..." )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Txwoman