CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think DT's father just provided a clue about the photos of the family at different places. It was to keep up appearances and keep the relatives appeased and off their back...
"David and Louise Turpin would take the family on vacations to places like Las Vegas and would send photographs to his parents after the trips, James Turpin stated." http://www.register-herald.com/news...cle_1342a340-0457-5ae6-85ab-700dff188f5d.html

Good point. A smiling family photo from a well-known vacation place would give the impression that the family had everything under control. Plenty of couples cut ties with their families, and there are usually a lot of reasons before you'd think they were covering up a trail of abuse. The grandparents might have thought the daughter in law didn't like them, but they wouldn't necessarily think the kids were being abused if they got a happy family photo once a year.
Having said that, I wish someone had asked for a welfare check.

I think DT's father just provided a clue about the photos of the family at different places. It was to keep up appearances and keep the relatives appeased and off their back...
"David and Louise Turpin would take the family on vacations to places like Las Vegas and would send photographs to his parents after the trips, James Turpin stated." http://www.register-herald.com/news...cle_1342a340-0457-5ae6-85ab-700dff188f5d.html

I wonder if they sent the grand parents the picture of the girls jumping (at one of the wedding vow ceremonies in the pink dresses). Their arms are sooo skinny and you can just tell they have no energy or strength.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ugh the Elvis impersonator made a comment at the end of one of the renewal videos(2015/16 iirc) about seeing them in another 9 months after mentioning “lucky number 13”... LT laughter was clear... gave me the Heeby jeebies as it seemed like a “yeah that’s right” laugh not an uncomfortable, polite chuckle (moo)

I have to mention there has to have been some level of Stockholm syndrome here and how difficult it must have been for that 17 year old on many levels. I can’t help but imagine her trying to discuss with siblings about how to get help and some maybe believing things were “ok”.... how traumatic...

This story has some real “Virgin suicides” themes to me... what really interests me is the comment about the daughter driving the Jetta....

Sorry just my ramblings.. so much going through my mind and so many unanswered questions.... prayers for these children

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sorry if repost, just seeing she had photos...

"On Sunday, one of their daughters, a 17-year-old, managed to escape from their home by climbing out a window and called 911 from a deactivated cell phone she found in the house, police said. She told officers her parents were holding her 12 siblings captive inside the home, the Riverside County Sheriff's Department said.

The teenager had photos to support her story, Riverside County Sheriff's Capt. Greg Fellows told reporters Tuesday.

"I wish I could come to you with information that would explain why this happened, but we do need to acknowledge the courage of the young girl who escaped from that residence to bring attention so they can get the help they so need," Fellows said."

Found shackled and emaciated, children of torture suspects are freed
http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/16/us/california-turpin-13-siblings-held-captive/index.html

So many posts here, trying to wrap my head around this geographical timeline.

"David Turpin grew up in the Green Valley area and moved away when he finished at Virginia Tech, his father said."

http://www.register-herald.com/news...cle_1342a340-0457-5ae6-85ab-700dff188f5d.html

"Fellows said they previously lived in Murrieta, in southwestern Riverside County, and in Texas.

Snip

"The family lived in Rio Vista, Texas until 2010, and before that in Fort Worth, Texas, CNN affiliate KTVT reported."

Snip

"In 2011, they filed for bankruptcy in California, according to court records."

Snip

"CORRECTION: This story has been updated to give the correct date that David and Louisa Turpin and their children started living in Perris, California. The family has lived there since 2014, authorities said."

http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/16/us/california-turpin-13-siblings-held-captive/index.html

I havent been able to get through all of the posts, but I wanted to make a comment about Welfare Checks... I think LE is very willing to do them if someone is concerned.. Where I live anyways, i had a Welfare Check called on me...

A client (a crazy client) was parked outside my house for days when her sisters immigration matter did not go the way she wanted.. i answered the door the first day, but then I stopped answering her calls or the door.. on the 3rd day she called the police and said she had been trying to reach me for days and has knocked on my door and she was worried for me.. the police came, my husband answered they door, they asked to come in and checked up on me... asked some questions, looked around.. then I explained to them what was going on. They went outside, had a stern chat with the lady, and she never came to my house again..

The point is - I think we all should be a little nosey.. especially if children are doing manual labour in the dead of night under flood lights.. or if we never see kids.. because really how can you not see and not hear kids..

If a welfare check is done.. anything with nothing to hide would allow the police to have a look - if not , I think that alone should be enough raise flags.

If they are shackled to their bed, I have a guess as to what it is

By the way...

this may be a random question...

and I haven't googled yet...

But...,where the heck does one purchase SHACKLES, anyway?

Store for prisons?

For barnyard animals? (Though this sounds too extreme even for that...)...

???

:thinking:

By the way...

Store for prisons?

???

Hi CLUE old buddy...I was wondering the same thing...probably a lot of places, hardware stores, Walmart type places, farm equipment outlets, online...

Ugg I just remembered what I'm reminded of, little Evan Brewer's horrrrrrific case..poor little guy was shackled in the basement. :(

By the way...

Store for prisons?

???

I assumed these were improvised shackles, made from some hardware materials other than rope, rather than some kind of commercial product. (I'm not willing to Google the options for human shackles in case the police ever need to check my computer!)

Speculating here - maybe chaining the older kids was a routine bedtime ritual, based on keeping control over them while going to Vegas/ Disneyland was the "reward" to keep them compliant. So everything was going on as normal as far as the parents were concerned, but something happened recently that made the 17 year old feel that she urgently needed help. I would have thought one of the children was sick and being neglected, but there's been no word from LE that one particular child was sicker than any of the others.
If sexual abuse was involved, there would be a lot of other possibilities about why a 17 year old girl would suddenly rebel, but this seems to be ruled out at this point.
I'm assuming the 17 year old wasn't identified by her parents as a "trouble maker" because she hadn't been restrained like other children that night. I don't think I've heard of anyone braver than this girl, to step out into the unknown and ask for help. It might have been a terrible life, but it was the only one she knew and she would have thought that the consequences of speaking out would be bad. My gut feeling is that she felt one of her siblings was in immediate danger, and she needed to get help quickly. If it was planned, maybe two of them would have gone together. Eventually we will find out what happened to make her snap.

It super amazing and super confounding. I can't fathom the strength and independence and intelligence necessary to break from a lifetime of isolation and intense conditioning into a world you're taught to be terrified of.

One comment- I don't think they had passes for the kids to Disney nor did I think they went to Vegas more than twice. The parents might have gone to Disney regularly but there's nothing to suggest the kids got to go more than once or twice.

I don't believe these people saw their children as human beings with needs or like most parents view their kids- getting happiness from seeing their joy.

Newer story:

http://www.desertsun.com/story/news/crime_courts/2018/01/16/david/1036288001/

"One former neighbor on Saint Honore Drive in Murrieta, where the family lived before moving to Perris, said he often arrived home from work anywhere from 12:30 am to 3 am and he'd see the father loading up the kids in the van.

"I was wondering what they were doing with them at that time of the night," said Mike Clifford.

Clifford said he only thought there were about six children living there, the oldest appearing to be a 15-year-old boy. At the time, the group owned a pair of Mustangs – each with Texas license plates – and a van.

According to Clifford, his wife encountered two of the girls while they picked up mail at the community mailboxes across the street from the family's home. They dressed alike and spoke in a way that was "robotic."

It wasn't the only odd behavior he and his wife noticed. Occasionally, he saw children walking back and forth between rooms in front of the windows facing his house.

"They would march for hours in the middle of the night," Clifford said. "You could see them pass one window and come around."

I am trying to think of a,plausible reason for dad to be packing several kids into the van in the middle of the night...

I wonder how often this happened?

I can think of no reason...

ETA: I know DH and I leave at odd hours when leaving for road trips...
so as to avoid traffic times/areas...

but... I do not see this happening with this family... If it was a consistent occurrence...

Ugh the Elvis impersonator made a comment at the end of one of the renewal videos(2015/16 iirc) about seeing them in another 9 months after mentioning “lucky number 13”... LT laughter was clear... gave me the Heeby jeebies as it seemed like a “yeah that’s right” laugh not an uncomfortable, polite chuckle (moo)

I have to mention there has to have been some level of Stockholm syndrome here and how difficult it must have been for that 17 year old on many levels. I can’t help but imagine her trying to discuss with siblings about how to get help and some maybe believing things were “ok”.... how traumatic...

This story has some real “Virgin suicides” themes to me... what really interests me is the comment about the daughter driving the Jetta....

Sorry just my ramblings.. so much going through my mind and so many unanswered questions.... prayers for these children

Maybe that's what he had to do to get... then she turned up pregnant. So, hands off til another romantic renewal. Notice how she kinda lets him hug, and pet and kiss her but then kinda pulls back or brushes him off, especially in the Elvis Chapel video, David and Louise Elvis Renewal @ 10 28 11. I accidentally stopped it on 8:50 and creeped myself out.

It super amazing and super confounding. I can't fathom the strength and independence and intelligence necessary to break from a lifetime of isolation and intense conditioning into a world you're taught to be terrified of.

One comment- I don't think they had passes for the kids to Disney nor did I think they went to Vegas more than twice. The parents might have gone to Disney regularly but there's nothing to suggest the kids got to go more than once or twice.

I don't believe these people saw their children as human beings with needs or like most parents view their kids- getting happiness from seeing their joy.

From what I gathered, they went to CircusCircus a few times. that is often a popular destination because they have one level that is a kids' arcade. So they shared pics of two trips to Circus Circus, three trips to Elvis chapel, and three trips to Disneyland. And that's just what was shared publicly. There are whole chunks of time we just have no idea about... All IMO based on what I've seen so far.

The 13 children were all biological offspring of mom and dad...multiple news sources have stated that, and I tend to believe it in this instance. JMO

Getting pregnant in one's late 40s can more easily happen if the mother continues to get pregnant over the years--the fertility period can be extended. I see it all the time in my genealogy charts with the farm wives. And I agree that for some women, even today, this can be a fulfilling and purposeful choice (though we see it less often than a generation or two ago).

My own instincts - just a hypothesis at this point - are that mom perhaps struggled with advancing mental illness, and dad tried to keep her happy (eg. three vow renewal ceremonies since 2011 per the Heavy.com article, which also mentioned her smirking and spitting when arrested). Close friend growing up had a schizophrenic mom who only felt 'well' when pregnant; big family. Mom was in and out of hospitals all her life and the elder sibs (big family) mostly raised the younger. Schizophrenia is also a disease often associated with 'religiosity' (though not to be confused with any one faith).

The bankruptcy in 2011, the move to CA, the lessening of ties to family and friends in the past 4-5 yrs (per facebook and grandparent comments), last vow renewal in 2015 or 2016...in my opinion this could have been a scenario where there was a downward spiral of increasing isolation and mental illness that was unaddressed. My heart breaks for those kids. The last vow renewal mom had a baby in her arms. That baby is now two...time to get pregnant again, be a bride again, or have a breakdown. [emoji852]️

JMO, and just a guess for now.
Wow! They ran 13 DNA screens Lickety Split didn't they?[emoji848]
See? DNA does not take weeks to months! (Imagine that!)
MOO

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Maybe that's what he had to do to get... then she turned up pregnant. So, hands off til another romantic renewal. Notice how she kinda lets him hug, and pet and kiss her but then kinda pulls back or brushes him off, especially in the Elvis Chapel video, David and Louise Elvis Renewal @ 10 28 11. I accidentally stopped it on 8:50 and creeped myself out.

Yes that’s what I have said previously, that the renewal was done and consummation followed. I can’t imagine for how much longer.. not sure how much longer LT had in fertility age which I really believe may have led to a downward spiral leading to the shackles...

The wife kinda seems kinda despondent in general kinda.. off in the distance if you will.... I’ve worked one on one with those suffering from schizophrenia and recall this similar kind of look... almost like their looking through you as if you’re not there at all.. which kinda touches on what some of the neighbors mentioned when trying to say hello. What did LT really think was happening in her home and mind? We may never know..

I also was uncomfortable when Elvis sang the word “sex” and leaned closer to the young girls and their discomfort and awkwardness . I imagine he wouldn’t change his set or the words but perhaps he could of been a bit more subtle about it ... ::shudder::

Lived in Fort Worth, left the home in foreclosure, and it was a disaster.
Lived in Rio Vista, lived in home, then vacated that and lived in a doublewide. When they up and left, the home was full of stuff and a disaster.
In California, it continues.

This was a hoarding situation, and the children became part of what was being hoarded, IMO. Hoarders who collect animals keep them in absolute filth, and think that they are the only ones who can care for the animals. They can not see what they are doing. Hoarding is a mental illness, and I am willing to bet that one or both parents is a hoarder. IMO they thought they were protecting them from the world and willing to do anything to keep that happening.

Here are some links about how hoarding effects children:
http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/obsessive-compulsive-disorder/hidden-lives-children-hoarders "Even when the house is unfit, hoarders often view their children as safest under their care. Some hoarders will expose their children to abhorrent conditions rather than face public scrutiny and risk losing them. Children often realize if they talk about their family secrets, they could lose their parents and homes."

https://www.anxiety.org/hoarding-effects-in-children-families "Here's what we discovered in families with parents who hoard:
Lack of Awareness: Most parents who hoarded lacked awareness of the severity and consequences of their behaviors.
High Dysfunction: Family dysfunction was generally high in families of hoarders, marked with conflict and difficulties with emotional expression within the home.
Low Communication: Children often lived in an environment of low communication. This came with feelings of alienation and distrust.
Low Quality Relationships: There was a decreased quality of parent–children relationships, even as these children grew into adults.
Lack of Acknowledgement Drove Frustration: The more the parent failed to acknowledge the fault in their hoarding behaviors, the more frustration, resentment, and anger built between them and their children at home."

http://www.smh.com.au/national/how-...t-and-child-endangerment-20141030-11ekad.html "But Dr Christopher Mogan, of the Anxiety Clinic in Richmond and an expert in hoarding, said the condition affects up to 5 per cent of the population. Now recognised as a mental health condition in its own right, hoarding can be triggered by other mental health problems, trauma or change of circumstances.
Hoarders, Dr Mogan said, become secretive and withdrawn and shun outside help. "

Wow Georgiajean. This seems so on point. I think you really have something here as so much of this really seems to match these people and their situation. Super intelligent post. I learned a lot from it.

I assumed these were improvised shackles, made from some hardware materials other than rope, rather than some kind of commercial product. (I'm not willing to Google the options for human shackles in case the police ever need to check my computer!)

Oh, my browser history resembles that of a criminally insane person's, I'm sure. I've been following the Rhoden case for almost two years. I don't think there's much of anything, that hasn't been broached, as a theory, with the possible exception of aliens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kristens5487