CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we know what kind of hearing or what is the purpose of the next hearing? The one on 2/23?

I hope they have a wonderful future, like all of us here hope. Unfortunately for people who have starved - food is always an issue. Sometimes resulting in obesity in later life. Hopefully they will all be trained very well in meal planning to try and sidestep this obsession with foods they have missed out on. (Not everyone is thrilled with chocolate eclairs). But you know what I mean. I have seen it happen often.

A Felony Settlement Conference (FSC) “takes place before the preliminary hearing. It is an informal discussion between the prosecution and the defense attorneys in front of the judge in which they exchange information and try to negotiate a resolution to the case”.

A plea deal? :thinking:

In regards to the pictures taken at Disney World and why the Turpins would all go out as a family, I think there could be a few explanations. In Elizabeth Smart's case, she was allowed in public by her kidnappers and was so afraid of the consequences if she tried to get help that she didn't try to. Also, I know many abusers will randomly do something special for the abused. It can keep people trapped in a psychological cycle of love and hate. If the 13 lived their lives in those vile conditions for some time, it would make sense for them to have a twisted sense of what love is. Who knows what their parents told them? Parents are supposed to be trustworthy, and I'm sure some of the 13 thought it was acceptable and normal.

As has been said before, the 13 seem awkwardly posed in the pictures. If this were because of instructions from their parents, it'd be a little glimmer of the kind of control they had. The girl's hair looks clean and healthy, and the boys appear to have well kept hair. Information released said that the 13 were only allowed to shower once a year. It's possible that the showers coincided with the trips. Since the trips were on the same day, but two years apart, it indicates a pattern in their lives - a common trait of abusers. It's possible if that was their one day of "happiness", while also keeping up appearances for the Turpin parents. They may have threatened the survivors if they didn't behave, and the trip was something they would have looked forward to.

A case somewhat similar, though thankfully not as bad:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...ng-adopted-children-captive-article-1.3832917

[FONT=&quot]
[FONT=&quot]The adoptive parents of four children were arrested after the kids were found locked up without food, water or a bathroom at their Tucson, Ariz., home, according to a local report Tuesday.

Benito and Carol Gutierrez, ages 69 and 64, face child abuse charges after one of the children escaped through a bedroom window on Saturday and called police from a Family Dollar store, KVOA-TV reported, citing authorities.[/FONT]

Seriously, what is the problem with some persons???

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/02/21/turpin-case-funding-13-abused-siblings/357770002/?utm_source=feedblitz&utm_medium=FeedBlitzRss&utm_campaign=usatoday-newstopstories

Hope I added this link correctly. This article states that all of the kids are still in the hospitals. I thought they had been moved a while ago (the younger ones to 2 different foster families and the older ones to a facility).

"The adult siblings are still being treated at Corona Regional Medical Center but its director of marketing, Linda Pearson, wouldn't comment on their current status. The younger siblings are at Riverside University Health System Medical Center in Moreno Valley but spokeswoman Kimberly Trone also wouldn't comment on their status."

Assuming they want privacy, have they asked for privacy?

I've seen no reports them have.

After all many are adults who have been to Vegas etc...

And bought drinks apparently as the were asked for adult ID hence I find the idea
they would not be able to function in the world somewhat dubious.

Just my opinion of course. I have been wrong before (although I can't provide a link, you will have to
take my word for it) so I could be wrong again.

Are you kidding?

<modsnip>

Oh... no way!!! No plea deal surely!

It's just a conference that all felony cases have. Nothing indicates a plea deal is in the works. \

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...BlitzRss&utm_campaign=usatoday-newstopstories

Hope I added this link correctly. This article states that all of the kids are still in the hospitals. I thought they had been moved a while ago (the younger ones to 2 different foster families and the older ones to a facility).

"The adult siblings are still being treated at Corona Regional Medical Center but its director of marketing, Linda Pearson, wouldn't comment on their current status. The younger siblings are at Riverside University Health System Medical Center in Moreno Valley but spokeswoman Kimberly Trone also wouldn't comment on their status."

I think the article has outdated info.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/02/21/turpin-case-funding-13-abused-siblings/357770002/?utm_source=feedblitz&utm_medium=FeedBlitzRss&utm_campaign=usatoday-newstopstories

This was from Jan 24 early morning prior to that days Hearing. This report makes it sound like they were moving the adults that day of the Hearing Wed, and next day Thurs they were moving the minors. They wanted to get the RO prior to releasing them so they couldn't visit the parents at jail or calls. JMHO from article.
January 24, 2018, 7:35 AM Wed
Snips
After last week's initial appearance before a judge, David and Louise Turpin are expected back in court Wednesday to face a restraining order. They are accused of abuse that lasted for years, including putting some of their 13 children in chains, reports CBS News correspondent David Begnaud.

With the children's expected release from the hospital this week, a source tells CBS News officials want to make sure they do not visit their parents in jail, fearing any conversations could taint the on-going investigation.

All the siblings are still being cared for in hospitals near their home in Riverside County, California. But that's about to change. A source tells us the county has won conservatorship over the adult children, and they'll move to a supervised living facility Wednesday. And starting Thursday, the six minor children will be split up to live in two foster homes. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/califo...orrors-to-face-restraining-order-13-children/

I think it is unbelievable that the cars were not seized by police and forensically tested.
They were just standing there!!

Or that they used their van to transport them! If you look at the photos the cars were moved from orig coverage and one was missing shortly after the arrests. Googling photos shows that (my source on that)

A Felony Settlement Conference (FSC) &#8220;takes place before the preliminary hearing. It is an informal discussion between the prosecution and the defense attorneys in front of the judge in which they exchange information and try to negotiate a resolution to the case&#8221;.

http://www.rivcoda.org/export/downl...ony_court_hearings_and_frequent_questions.pdf
Thank you found some more explanation from DA Office This is explaining to a Victim the process. I just thought would be informational for those out of the US as well as some of us not in CA.

Arraignment

An arraignment is when charges are formally presented to the criminal defendant (person charged with crime) in court. At the arraignment, the defendant acknowledges the complaint by pleading guilty or not guilty.

Progress Hearings (Trial Readiness Conference/ Felony Settlement Conference)
There are two types of progress hearings in court. If the defendant is charged with a misdemeanor, a Trial Readiness Conference (TRC) will be scheduled after the defendant&#8217;s arraignment because there are no preliminary hearings for misdemeanors. A TRC is a hearing where the attorneys appear in court, exchange discovery (information about the case), and may try to negotiate a disposition of the case. If the attorneys cannot agree to a guilty plea they set a trial date. A TRC could take place several times prior to trial.

In felony cases a Felony Settlement Conference (FSC) is set following the arraignment. An FSC is similar to a TRC and consists of exchanging discovery (information about the case) and attempting to negotiate a disposition. If the attorneys are unable to resolve the case then a Preliminary Hearing date is set.

Preliminary Hearing
In felony cases, your first appearance and testimony may be at the preliminary hearing. This is not a trial -- but it is a hearing at which the judge determines if there is sufficient evidence to require the defendant to stand trial in superior court. Normally just enough evidence is presented to "hold the defendant to answer." No jurors will be present, since the judge alone decides if there will be a trial.

Information Arraignment
If the defendant is "held to answer," at a Preliminary Hearing, a new date will be set for an Information Arraignment and the defendant will be arraigned again in Superior Court. You do not have to appear at the arraignment.

Misdemeanor Trial
In misdemeanor cases, there is no Preliminary Hearing, so your first court appearance will be for the actual trial. Your testimony will be required only once. (In many cases a trial is not conducted because the defendant pleads guilty).

Felony Trial
California law requires that a defendant charged with a felony be brought to trial within 60 days of the filing of the Information or the Indictment in Superior Court, unless that right is waived by the accused. Therefore, in some cases, this time could extend to several months.

Witnesses must testify at the trial even if they were thoroughly questioned at the Preliminary Hearing. In some cases, a trial will not be held because the defendant pleads guilty. When this happens, you will be notified that your testimony will not be required, and you will be released from your obligation under the subpoena to come to court.

Victim Impact Statement
At the sentencing, you have the right to appear and make a statement about the effects of the crime on you and your family as well as about the punishment you feel appropriate for the defendant. This can be done in a written statement, an oral statement, or a video recording presented to the judge.

Verdict and Sentencing

In a jury trial, the jury will find the defendant either guilty or not guilty of the crime(s). If the accused is found guilty, a date will be set for sentencing, usually 28 days after the verdict.

The judge may impose one or more of the following sentences: state prison, county jail, probation, fine, restitution, or diversion. The judge may order a restitution fine or direct restitution to you.

If the Case is Postponed
Sometimes a case will be postponed or "continued." If a continuance is ordered before you appear in court, we will make every effort to let you know that you need not appear on the date listed on the subpoena.

If a continuance is sought on the date you are scheduled to appear, we may not be able to let you know in time. Even if a continuance does occur, your original subpoena is still in effect and you will be contacted with the new date and time for your appearance. We encourage you to call Victim and Witness Services and confirm the time you should be in court before you go to the courthouse.

Your Testimony (Victim)
When you appear as a witness, you will be called to the witness stand by a Deputy District Attorney to testify about what you saw, heard, or did which may be relevant to the charges against the defendant. After the Deputy District Attorney has asked questions, the defense attorney has the right to test your memory of the facts, or to "cross-examine" you. You likely will be excluded from the courtroom when other witnesses are testifying. This is to ensure that the testimony or memory of one witness does not influence the testimony of another.

The Defense Attorney
The defense attorney may ask to speak with you to find out the nature of your testimony. There are no laws or rules prohibiting you from telling the defendant's attorney or a representative of the defense what your testimony will be. However, you are not required to do so. This is your decision. But feel free to discuss any of this with the Deputy District Attorney assigned to the case. If you choose to speak to the defense, you may wish to have another person present or tape record the interview to avoid later misquotations or misunderstandings.
http://www.rivcoda.org/opencms/victimwitness/guide.html

Thanks for the explanation arkansasmimi!

When I first read the FSC - I saw this attempting to negotiate a disposition.

[/B]

Oh... no way!!! No plea deal surely!
I expect a plea deal. They caught the parents dead to rights. Why put the children through long drawn out trial? They need to begin their new life and that's not easy with a trial looming. Imo it's best for everyone.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Just a reminder!

Friday, February 23rd:
*Felony Settlement Conference (@ 1:30pm PT) - CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home (Jan. 15, 2018) - David Allen Turpin (57) & Louise Anna Turpin (49) - arrested & charged on 1/18 with: 12 counts of torture, 1 count of lewd act on a child - David only, 7 counts of abuse of dependent adult, 6 counts of child abuse, and 12 counts of false imprisonment. Facing up to 94 years to life in prison. Both pled not guilty; bail set at $12M for each. Felony Settlement Conf: &#8220;takes place before the preliminary hearing. It is an informal discussion between the prosecution and the defense attorneys in front of the judge in which they exchange information and try to negotiate a resolution to the case&#8221;. Also a Motion to allow pooling camera coverage, 1 camera & 1 audio.
1/24: DA Motion for Order of Protection for 13 survivors. A judge has issued a protective order to bar a Perris couple from having any further contact with their 13 children amid a torture and abuse case. Which is set to be effective until Jan. 24, 2021.

I expect a plea deal. They caught the parents dead to rights. Why put the children through long drawn out trial? They need to begin their new life and that's not easy with a trial looming. Imo it's best for everyone.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

DT and LT will probably get very light sentences in a plea deal. Thirty years tops. Although I can understand not having to put the children through the trauma of a trial.

Satch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member