CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Couple Accused in Child Torture Investigation to Appear in Court

A couple accused of holding 13 children captive in a Southern California home described by authorities as a torture chamber are expected to make their first court appearance Thursday.
David and Louise Turpin have been jailed on $9 million bail since their arrests over the weekend. They could face charges including torture and child endangerment, authorities said.
Prosecutors plan a news conference at 11 a.m. Details about what they will discuss were not immediately available.

Couple Accused in Child Torture Investigation to Appear in Court - NBC Southern California

Let's hope the 17 yr old who fled is kept away from her siblings who may be angry or resentful. Seems they didn't talk to anyone outside the family. I think the parents would go after this youngster too.

Though getting fed is likely to put a whole new complexion on things...

I do agree, though, there is such a human instinct to get drawn to a parent, that a person can readily disbelieve anyone who tries to convince them a parent is evil.

The older kids may also feel guilty that they didn’t get help sooner, or they may have been forced to participate in abusing siblings. Guilt is very hard to get past, and would very likely affect the bonds between fellow captives.

Still, the kids (plural) were seen foraging in the dumpster. These are not all kids who were hostile to one another or oblivious to each other’s needs.

I think our best model for behavior here would be Nazi concentration camps.

Information has come out that they were allowed to shower only twice a year.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Yes and the intake authorities described them as " all very small for their ages and they were all very dirty."

Can you imagine how overwhelming Las Vegas would be to those kids after basically having very little interaction with other people and having had minimal sensory input in their home?

I cannot. In addition, though I know many families go there, Vegas strikes me as a VERY odd place for a religiously fanatic, homeschool family to go. I say this as a Christian homeschool mom. For instance, I cannot imagine the Duggars stepping foot in Vegas, let alone taking their children there.

I'm sure some are mad at being removed and some are scared and some are delighted and excited and relieved. Some will have a bit of Stockhold Syndome as well, I would imagine. I'm also sure that anything they are thinking today could change drastically after months of good, consistent nutrition and normal interaction with other human beings. One who is upset today may see things a lot differently once they are healthy and realize they will NEVER have to be subjected to the parents again.
As for the adult children, what can stop them from walking out the door and not following through with treatment? I hope that is not the case, but they are free adults and can go against medical advice any time they want, right?

Just saw the end of a report on the Today Show where they said the kids were fed once a day and had showers twice a year.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...-shower-n838671?icid=today_hp_NBCtopheadlines

I'm so glad they've been rescued and can have normal lives again. Doctors said they were concerned the kids would go into shock from being malnourished.

I worry about how many other of these large home schooling families are out there with kids being abused.

This is just infuriating. Yes, we have many freedoms in this country, but to be able to start up a school, in your own home, without, it seems, mom even having a h.s. diploma? Setting aside, for the moment, the capability of creating their very own child abuse chamber, there's zero oversight. I realize that public school is not for every child and I have friends who have put their kids in small, local, private schools, or have gone the home school route (active in their children's educations, and worked diligently, with their schools of choice, I might ad).However, if any Joe Blow can open up a school in their home, and a mom w/o any formal education (it seems), has been the primary caregiver for the most part? This is not fair to children. It's especially not fair to them in the future. How can they compete? I don't mean to offend, but it is just not good for these parents to have been able to set up a school like this, and just name him as a principle. I'd think at least some sort of education beyond h.s. would be needed. At least an associates in something, and possibly, have quarterly test scores submitted to the county, in which they reside, at the very least, for the three Rs.

About the "hoarding." How has that been established as a fact? I've seen several pictures, taken by a tabloid that was given permission by a neighbor to use her backyard. Is there more evidence to be had ?

Lots of boxes of necessary stuff doesn't necessarily mean they were hoarders. My step-daughter has 7 kids and lots of pets, and she buys many things in bulk- diapers, petfood, kids's snacks, cleaning supplies, blocks of cheese, etc.

Her 9 person household has stacks of boxes laying about too- not because they're hoarders, or because she doesn't care about the house being clean, but because a 9 person household is expensive and bulk buying is necessary, and because it is also (as a normal household, anyway) non-stop active.

About the "hoarding." How is that been established as a fact? I've seen several pictures, taken by a tabloid that was given permission by a neighbor to use her backyard. Is there more evidence to be had ?

Lots of boxes of necessary stuff doesn't necessarily mean they were hoarders. My step-daughter has 7 kids and lots of pets, and she buys many things in bulk- diapers, petfood, kids's snacks, cleaning supplies, blocks of cheese.

Her 9 person household has stacks of boxes laying about too- not because they're hoarders, or because she doesn't care about the house being clean, but because a 9 person household is expensive and bulk buying is necessary, and because it is also (as a normal household, anyway) non-stop active.
Some of us are actually referring to keeping these children locked up for life as similar to hoarding. Not talking about supplies, but people, in comparison to animal hoarding.

The obit mentioned above from 2011, has the names of 12 children (all beginning with J). Was there only one child born after 2011?
Jennifer, Joshua, Jessica, Jonathan, Joy, Julianne, Jeanetta, Jordan, James, Joanna, Jolinda, Julissa.

The obit mentioned above from 2011, has the names of 12 children (all beginning with J). Was there only one child born after 2011?
Jennifer, Joshua, Jessica, Jonathan, Joy, Julianne, Jeanetta, Jordan, James, Joanna, Jolinda, Julissa.

As far as we know. The 2 year old, who is the baby in the pictures. (We assume).

Yes, just the baby I think.

Shame on California.

"The suburban Southern California home served as a private school and a prison for the siblings, authorities said. No state agency regulates or oversees private schools in California, and they are not licensed by the state Education Department."

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/...rside-County-California-Perris-469938463.html

That shame is shared with most states in the US. The "home schooling" business is mostly unregulated with no inspections, no standards for parent "teachers", standard curriculum, approved teaching materials, proof of attendance, etc. as are required in public schools. One recent news article mentioned a case of home schooling where the children could quote blocks of the Bible from memory, but couldn't recognize or draw a square or circle. JMO, that's child abuse, too.

So they will be in court today correct?

Anyone following this on twitter?

TIA!

Thank you all for the updates and articles - hard to keep up with this fast moving thread! :pcguru:

Some of us are actually referring to keeping these children locked up for life as similar to hoarding. Not talking about supplies, but people, in comparison to animal hoarding.

Yikes! What a horrible concept. Thanks for the clarification- I must have missed the original posts proposing that as a possibility.

Yikes! What a horrible concept. Thanks for the clarification- I must have missed the original posts proposing that as a possibility.

The woman who bought their house in Texas also mentioned they were hoarders, iirc.

As far as we know. The 2 year old, who is the baby in the pictures. (We assume).

So when was the baby born? We see this baby in several pictures from 2013 to 2015. Is this the same baby or are they just posting the pictures from 2013 in 2015? I am confused, and I have tried to keep up.

tia

And the claim of a neighbour saying the amount of screams coming from the home caused him to call CPS on more than one occasion but was told unless he sees anything, there's nothing they can do.
How can he see them if they can't leave the house? :(

And yet, another neighbor, this one a "backyard" neighbor, reported to the media she found it disturbing & astonishing that she had for years lived right behind the family and frequently spent time in her own backyard, and yet never, ever, heard any noise from the house.

Also, I very much doubt that CPS told a caller that alleged abuse or neglect had to be personally witnessed before CPS could act. That's just not how it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lockett