CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The woman who bought their house in Texas also mentioned they were hoarders, iirc.

Missed that mention, but saw the photos, of the TX home. I've been mostly referring to them as hoarders of children, but I think they were also trash hoarders. Not hoarders of trinkets, such as Disney figurines, but actual trash, as we've seen of some cases on the "Hoarding" shows/ documentaries.

OT/ I hope you are warm, and still with electricity, today, Doghair. :)

The woman who bought their house in Texas also mentioned they were hoarders, iirc.

Thanks. Is that the source who said the family had left many/most of their belongings behind when the left the house?

It's so difficult to sort out rumors/assumptions from facts in a story like this, and which non-LE/medical sources, if any, are credible.

Verified sources have provided both the best and the worst info I've read since this story was first reported: that the children were allowed just one meal a day and 2 showers a year (!!!!!) (the worst, and by LE), and that the adult survivors, anyway, are aware of what happened to them and that they are close/caring of one another (the best, by med staff, and very hopeful).

I'm sure some are mad at being removed and some are scared and some are delighted and excited and relieved. Some will have a bit of Stockhold Syndome as well, I would imagine. I'm also sure that anything they are thinking today could change drastically after months of good, consistent nutrition and normal interaction with other human beings. One who is upset today may see things a lot differently once they are healthy and realize they will NEVER have to be subjected to the parents again.
As for the adult children, what can stop them from walking out the door and not following through with treatment? I hope that is not the case, but they are free adults and can go against medical advice any time they want, right?

I have an emergency department background, as a nurse. You can deem someone incapable of signing out against medical advice by placing a 72 hour or more hold on them, should they be deemed a risk to themselves or others upon leaving the hospital. This is in Indiana, my knowledge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SBM
Also, I very much doubt that CPS told a caller that alleged abuse or neglect had to be personally witnessed before CPS could act. That's just not how it works.

IIRC, this was said by a neighbor of the Turpins in Texas. I don't know when it alledgedly happened, but I can tell you from personal experience in a different state 25 years ago that CPS indeed made such statements.

So when was the baby born? We see this baby in several pictures from 2013 to 2015. Is this the same baby or are they just posting the pictures from 2013 in 2015? I am confused, and I have tried to keep up.

tia

2 years ago, I would assume. I thought we only saw the baby in the 2015 pics and not the 2013 pics. Maybe I'm wrong?

It's likely LT was pregnant prior to this baby with what was discussed on their FB page but it appears not all of those pregnancies worked out.

cache.php
Originally Posted by PoirotryInMotion
But there's also the fact that you can't be in denial about what you don't see. Six years ago (even 3 yrs ago) those kids didn't look as bad as they probably do now. Photos were in circulation that were not immediately alarming then--even the Elvis impersonator, who saw the kids in person as late as 2015, said they were skinny, but he had no inkling or sense of abuse concerning them. (Sad that the Elvis impersonator saw more if her grandkids than she did.)

It's probably good to remember, too, that she's 81. That puts some of her comments about family appearances ('good Christian family') into perspective (for me, at least). She speaks from the era in which she's lived.

They looked bad at least eight years ago, probably longer.

And that's my point--you think they looked terrible, others were not alarmed. Regardless of how they look today, how they looked 3 and 5 (or even 8) years ago in the photos mom was willing to share is a subjective and varying opinion, based on one's own experience, and shouldn't be confused with the hindsight we have now when studying those photos and trying to assess 'how could this happen.' The Elvis guy didn't think there was cause for concern in 2013 and 2015 (even later than the grandparents' assessment), and has repeatedly said so. None of her facebook friends apparently were alarmed enough to notify authorities. Had I been a friend and seen those photos in Facebook in 2015 (honest reflection here), I'd have maybe glanced for less than 10 seconds and thought (apart from the oddness of lookalike dressing in this day and age) 'bunch of smiling/exuberant children' - their thinness would not have alarmed me, and if it registered at all, I'd have figured it ran in the family. (It runs in mine, thus informing my first impressions.)

In other words, because their degree of thinness looks in the normal-thin range for kids to me (and I was a schoolteacher for years), my first thought would not have been that these kids were steps from death's door, nor would child abuse have entered my mind. Others look at these photos and see both of those, and that's their experience coloring their perception. I've been to Africa and I've seen severe malnutrition--and that's not what I happen to see in those published family photos. (Though I suspect the kids look worse, now.) That's all I'm saying--trying to cut the grandparents some slack, here (who last saw them 6 yrs ago--roughly 2011-12, and who likely did not have access to any photos on Facebook, regardless.)

When we run across an appalling story like this, it's human to be upset that it took so long to discover the situation with these kids, and to want to assign blame. I'm reserving that for the parents, though, who purposely shielded these kids from many who might have cared enough to have put a quick stop to the abuse.

Been trying to get some more background on David Turpin.

Not MSM but a hometown paper in Princeton, W.V. interviewed some of his H.S. friends and got some details on him:

His high school yearbook photo shows the exact same 'Bowl Haircut" maybe shorter bangs-

He was considered a "nerd" in hs, was co-captain of the chess club, belonged to science club, Bible Club

Graduated in top 20 in his class, was known as 'very smart' by classmates=

wanted to become an Electrical Engineer and invent the light bulb-

Was not a party fan, not in most popular groups, laid back-

Article describes his parents as good people, good citizens of their town

JMO
This is interesting to me and I am wondering if there are other documented cases where it was proven that a mother was obsessed with being pregnant and having babies all the time for the main enjoyment of the infancy and dependency stage.

Until this case I have not heard of this possibility but I could see where it may happen. There is something special that happens when a baby needs to be 100% dependent on the Mother and I could see where a Mother may want or desire that feeling of being needed over and over again through the infancy and early childhood stage.

I am wondering if there are other cases where this sort of thing has happened and has been proven to become an obsession.

We dont know enough yet in this case what all the issues were but there is a chance this sort of thing happened here.

Look at Octomom or the Duggers. This is a pretty frequent occurrence. If you believe in the Freudian view, women continue to have babies to have their basic needs met of affection, feeling the need to be needed, etc. Once one baby begins to show independence the mother becomes pregnant again. We don't hear about these cases because there is no reason too.

Their hair looks clean in the photos.

I believe if you stop washing your hair, over the course of a few months the oils produced by the scalp settle down and find a natural balance. After that you just need to rinse your hair in clean water to wash dust out.

Apparently.

I do agree, though, there is such a human instinct to get drawn to a parent, that a person can readily disbelieve anyone who tries to convince them a parent is evil.

Stockholm Syndrome, where captives come to align themselves with and empathise with their captors.

SBM

IIRC, this was said by a neighbor of the Turpins in Texas. I don't know when it alledgedly happened, but I can tell you from personal experience in a different state 25 years ago that CPS indeed made such statements.

I know reporting policies do & have always vary by state, but also know that a lot of laws & perceptions about child protection as changed, nationwide, from 25 years ago.

One obvious core reality of child abuse is that it most happens behind closed doors, unwitnessed by outsiders. Yet, nationwide we insist upon mandatory reporting by a slew of folks, including medical personnel and teachers.

I know from a fairly recent personal experience of reporting (a deeply troubling position to be in, given the stakes for both the parents & child -and any other siblings ) that here, at least, calling CPS about even one's second hand concerns triggers an automatic initial investigation.

As a psychologist in a prison, I thought I heard it all. Sadly, I have not. This is the most obscene, grotesque, inhuman story I have seen. There is no excuse for this b***sh**! I mean ZERO excuse for this. You could blame mental illness, religious viewpoints, anything and it is still unacceptable. I have no words. I have so much to say, but I can't get it out. I am so appalled.

SBM

Many small town LE people are poorly trained -so many CPS also- one step above dogcatcher-

Some years back I witnessed a man expose himself to me and my small children. I call the local police dept., they sent out an officer, told my story and he said " Maam, there's nothing I can do unless I see it myself". HUH???

Been trying to get some more background on David Turpin.

Not MSM but a hometown paper in Princeton, W.V. interviewed some of his H.S. friends and got some details on him:

His high school yearbook photo shows the exact same 'Bowl Haircut" maybe shorter bangs-

He was considered a "nerd" in hs, was co-captain of the chess club, belonged to science club, Bible Club

Graduated in top 20 in his class, was known as 'very smart' by classmates=

wanted to become an Electrical Engineer and invent the light bulb-

Was not a party fan, not in most popular groups, laid back-

Article describes his parents as good people, good citizens of their town

this may be the article that goes with your description. but I will pre-warn you, the site only allows four “free” views.

http://www.bdtonline.com/news/class...cle_099b4906-fbef-11e7-a037-67507383b94c.html
[FONT=&amp]Staff photo by Eric DiNovo[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]David Allen Turpin is pictured in a suit and tie in the 1979 Princeton High School yearbook. Turpin, who graduated in the top 20 of his class, was the co-captain of the school’s chess team, treasurer of the Bible Club, in the Spanish Club, in the Science Club, and in the acapella choir.[/FONT]
cache.php

considered a "nerd" in hs, was co-captain of the chess club, belonged to science club, Bible Club

Mike Gilbert, 56, of Glenwood recalled attending school with David Turpin and graduating with him in 1979 from Princeton High School. He described David Turpin as an intelligent student who earned good grades.

“Yea, I haven’t see the boy since 1979,” Gilbert recalled Wednesday. “For lack of a better word, he was kind of nerdy. He was always kind of a quiet guy and very intelligent. He always did real well in school, had real good grades. We went to Glenwood Junior High together and on from there to Princeton High School. He dressed nice and he wore bow ties on occasion.”

Gilbert said he couldn’t remember David Turpin ever being in trouble at school, and he didn’t tend to go out and party with other students.

His ambition was “to take up a career in electrical engineering and invent the light bulb.” And his motto was: “Never do today what you can put off until tomorrow,” according to the yearbook.

ETA:
another similar article here: http://www.collegiatetimes.com/news...cle_23cf58c6-fc76-11e7-a919-5717fff88d0a.html

Attachments

• 168586A6-76B0-40CD-9387-329A0F804E30.jpg
    168586A6-76B0-40CD-9387-329A0F804E30.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 85
Yes, though it seems the Turpins managed to find some the Duggars did not use :D

I am NOT a fan of the Duggers, but I think it unfair to be painting them with the same brush as these monsters.

Struggling to keep up with this thread so sorry if it's already been said, but I think the obituary could explain the "4th son" - I note one of the girls (probably the 17-year-old hero) is called Jordan. In the UK I've always known that as mainly a boy's name, less often used for girls, so if it's similar in the US, perhaps she was mistaken for a boy if someone just read a list of names?

Many small town LE people are poorly trained -so many CPS also- one step above dogcatcher-

Some years back I witnessed a man expose himself to me and my small children. I call the local police dept., they sent out an officer, told my story and he said " Maam, there's nothing I can do unless I see it myself". HUH???

Not an uncommon answer even in a big city. We had some property damage and knew who did it. Police told us without a photo, they couldn't help. I said look in the bin, it's in the bin.

They told me that they cannot look into a bin and that I need to put up cameras. So, we now live with CCTV on every angle of the house.

Could someone tell me, where did they live before moving to California, I think according to media, 7 years ago? Was the mother from W. Virginia too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unnamedTV