CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
She is a rock star. A one in a million survivor and warrior. Intelligent, resourceful, determined, courageous.

Yes she is. It wouldn't surprise me if this was a planned and coordinated effort. Without knowing these kids, but knowing the closeness of my own siblings in times of hardship growing up, a part of me is very hopeful about this group of siblings.

In my hometown there was a family who had an astonishing 14 children. We all, in our various age groups went to school together k-12, and the whole town knew someone in this family. The dynamics in a family that big is amazing. They were a happy bunch.

When I read that these kids were stable in the hospital, polite, sweet, hoped for a better situation, in addition to food, a part of me thinks, the part that really hopes, believes that in a dynamic this big these kids knew a closeness of love, friendship, and support with each other that sustained them to this amazing breakout point.

I truly hope they will be able to journey together as they are their only world. And now, it's like they are orphans. This is a unique case but I worry because what will be asked of them in the trial of their parents?

in the Thing pic, doesn't #9 and #10 look really alike? Like twins?

oh no, Iona.... this breaks me up a bit, but I am encouraged to know you are overcoming such dreadful experiences. You have many here who will be here for you should you ever have the desire to share more, for now, just know I care and am appreciative of your post. :grouphug: Thank you for sharing.

Thank you Spellbound, I was just [emoji848] thinking, this is a worldwide event, that has a tremendous personal impact on me, yet I did not go through it alone... I have 4 siblings , 3 of who I am Facebook friends. I am no contact by choice with my parental figures, yet as social media evolved I am Fb friends with many who watched my experience. I am extremely private on social media, yet when things get to me, I feel a need to express myself as diplomatically as I can. I shared this story earlier today on my page , and although I am “friends “ with close biological relatives, some who I am indebted to forever, others who I hope to forget... This is where I found the strength,courage,and wisdom to try to share pieces of me in hopes that somehow it will answer questions, provide understanding, or just simply humanize these victims, until the next big story captivates the world. I mean them no disrespect by saying that,my point is,the news will go on,the curiosity will wear off, but guess what? They will have this forever... So , if my commenting can provide a moment of understanding, comfort or hope , today will be a good day...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iona, from my own personal experiences, I know that some of these stay with us every day for the rest of our life. no matter what the outside world sees, we still have inner secrets/fears/confusions that we deal with on a daily basis. I will wager to bet these children carry this forward every day of their lives. I can only pray they are able to ovecome and thrive from this day forward.

Guess what? After two days I am finally caught up, even after refreshing lol
Iona you yourself are a rockstar! To be able to follow any of these threads, especially this one, shows your strength and grit in the face danger. I think you are amazing!!
From the first page of the first thread my thoughts on the question why now have been: because one sibling needed help now, right now. Maybe opportunity finally presented itself or maybe it is truly a coordinated effort, whatever it is it does shine hope on the future for these siblings!!
Has anyone heard of a presser coming with updates from LE?

This has probably been covered, still catching up, but did they ever ask for food assistance?

Also, Iirc, Ariel Castro had a dog in the house which he used as leverage against the girls in his attempt to control and abuse them.

O/T: please keep me in your thoughts. It is snowing, I’m in the south, power went off an hour ago and it’s supposed to be 17 degrees tonight.

I very much hope that their hope is realistic. But....can't help but be reminded of the older Fritzl ("dungeon") kids. The youngest, Stefan (I think he was 7 when they were finally freed) apparently was able to recover fully, but the older kids (both teenagers) were not so fortunate.

IMO it's difficult to imagine, sadly, that the oldest kids (in their 20's) will ever be fully whole or OK, given how long they were cut off from normality, physically and emotionally tormented, and forced to witness their many younger siblings being subjected to the same abuse.

The Children of the Cellar
http://content.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1736947,00.html

I'm thinking what you're thinking. I think severe depression and manic episodes are a big part of this. They don't explain everything, but I do think depression/mania is a factor.

I think the mom had high hopes with each new child....only to be overcome with the responsibilities of motherhood. She drowned in the responsibilities - and part of drowning was surrounding herself with the hoards of stuff and grime. Once in awhile she would bounce up big and they'd go to Vegas. And then back down.

I think she was incapable from the start to run a household and it spiraled and spiraled and spiraled down.

Don't know about the father, though. I think he was just sorta "there." Others are seeing a patriarch, but I'm seeing a passive man. THIS IS SPECULATION probably based on the dorky haircut, which I admit is flimsy evidence! :slap:

jmo

I kinda lean toward patriarchal but I can see your point. I know of a hoarder case (animal). Wealthy couple. Apparently the husband just gave up. He was very ill, and had to be hospitalized, because the conditions were so foul, by the time someone reported them, and LE took it seriously. To see them out? You'd have never dreamed, in a million years.

I've seen this touched on some here...in other cases I've read about, often there is a specific "scapegoat", or one who gets much of the abuse more than some of the others...iirc this was the case with Ariel Castro.

I kinda lean toward patriarchal but I can see your point. I know of a hoarder case (animal). Wealthy couple. Apparently the husband just gave up. He was very ill, and had to be hospitalized, because the conditions were so foul, by the time someone reported them, and LE took it seriously. To see them out? You'd have never dreamed, in a million years.

Take a look at the Vegas videos - in two of them (I only watched part of two videos) he is sweating so much he needs to wipe his face with a tissue. That happened two times, in years apart. He was not comfortable. That's not a reaction I'd expect from Mr. Patriarch calling the shots. I think he was doing what his wife wanted.

Just because I see him as a passive partner in the marriage doesn't mean he's off the hook. He is absolutely responsible just like she is. By not taking action, he was part of the problem, most definitely, 100%.

And I acknowledge I could be off base. I'll change my mind as needed. Jmopinion at the moment.

I lived this life, not ready to tell my story yet... This hurts so much, I am now 48,and just when I thought the nightmares had stopped, this happens[emoji24][emoji24][emoji24]
I cannot reply or engage right now, but I will tell you this... Google Bill Gothard, Institute for Youth Conflict. Also google Alert, A..T.I.A - The advanced training institute of America headquarters in Wheaton, Illinois or Oakbrook Illinois. Immediately , when I saw her age, and heard the sister’ s comment about how their dad used to be a pastor, I got chills.... It is very possible that her parents were in the above referenced “Ministry”, of which and several “survivors”, call a cult... I have to take an emotional timeout now, I am too invested... Just know, that I am okay, that my children are okay, and that everyday it is my goal to be the parent I needed... The doubly ironic part is, I too ran away at 17, but I had to save myself....��[emoji25][emoji25]��

:grouphug:

Reading your comments and your input has given me a lot of food for thought. It's so hard to understand and realize how demented some people are in our world when you've been fortunate to grow up in a loving home and environment. So many of us on WS come here because we're stunned by a recent event and need an outlet to discuss these horrific crimes and there are many who on here who have experienced the very thing we're discussing - even though every story and situation is different. Your comments remind us how personal these experiences really are. None of us will understand exactly what those kids are feeling and have gone through, but being surrounded by people like yourself that have survived it will hopefully begin the long road to healing. Thank you for sharing, Iona.The fact that you told us how the pain comes in waves reminds me of how we grieve our loved ones deaths. We think we're fine (and we really are getting better) and suddenly a wave will hit and bring us to our knees. Different circumstances but the pain is real and raw.

She was a “ smart cookie”, when all the truth comes out, we will find out that she knew which child to be discreet around, she has tried to communicate this to someone, somewhere before. Either she was not believed, or the person she tried to confide in betrayed her and went to the parents with her claims,and then that person or “persons” , unwittingly became a part of the abuse... These parents moved across the country, changed jobs , and altered everyone around these children’s reality to control and spin their truth... She knew she had to have proof, or she would never be believed...

I believe she tried or another sibling tried to tell someone too. She knew she had to have the proof and as a friend of mine said when we were discussing this, she had the presence of mind to know what was going on is wrong. So at some point in their life they must have experienced something more than what they were living.

Article I didn't see - BBM:
http://www.fox4news.com/news/couple-accused-of-chaining-up-13-children-lived-in-north-texas

Authorities say David and Louise Turpin still carry Texas driver’s licenses with addresses for a house just south of Rio Vista.

Ricky and Shelli Vinyard live across the gravel road. They always thought something was a little off about the Turpin family.

"Whenever we heard this morning on the news, I was 'Man, sounds like those Turpins,’” Ricky said.

The Vinyards say one of the daughters ran away while the Turpins were living here and was returned home.

Hill County's chief deputy says it may have happened, but his office only has records of two contacts with the family: once in 2001 when a 4-year-old daughter was bitten by a dog and again in 2003 when the Turpins’ pigs ate 55 pounds of a neighbor’s dog food.

O/T: please keep me in your thoughts. It is snowing, I’m in the south, power went off an hour ago and it’s supposed to be 17 degrees tonight.

Lived outside albemarle NC for a few years/winters, they didn’t have equipment to handle any significant snowfall.

Hope your power is back soon.

Catching up and not sure if this has been posted yet, but here’s a YouTube video of the Turpin’s California home and backyard filmed from over the back fence by the neighbors.
In a few of the photos you can see inside what looks like the kitchen area. Boxes and boxes of diapers and other things stacked up in there.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1Gj46zG3ZJA

How big is the back yard? Any speculation that they may have buried some? if there were other children.

The PVA site says that it has a .17 acre lot. That's pretty tiny.

Article I didn't see - BBM:
http://www.fox4news.com/news/couple-accused-of-chaining-up-13-children-lived-in-north-texas

Authorities say David and Louise Turpin still carry Texas driver’s licenses with addresses for a house just south of Rio Vista.

Ricky and Shelli Vinyard live across the gravel road. They always thought something was a little off about the Turpin family.

"Whenever we heard this morning on the news, I was 'Man, sounds like those Turpins,’” Ricky said.

The Vinyards say one of the daughters ran away while the Turpins were living here and was returned home.

Hill County's chief deputy says it may have happened, but his office only has records of two contacts with the family: once in 2001 when a 4-year-old daughter was bitten by a dog and again in 2003 when the Turpins’ pigs ate 55 pounds of a neighbor’s dog food.

If that is true, it might explain the shackles????

jmo

I agree totally... It will be a long road, I was never “chained” physically, just psychologically, emotionally,socially,and spiritually... If you knew me, you would never guess my story, however, even though I am a fully engaged and functioning parent, a dedicated employee, and a so called “Normal and Attractive “ person, I will always have scars that no one can see... In order to remain this way , for the rest of my life I will take medication for depression,ptsd,anxiety,and ADHD...
I wish that I were stronger,wealthier, and better , so that I could reach out to her and let her know that she is
my “Sheroe”, many will never understand... I need to say something else, there are 13 children, 13 victims,do not be surprised if one or more does not desperately seek to “reconcile and rewrite” history regarding their parentage... Even with the best of help, I would be absolutely shocked if that does not happen... I hope that the state of California , their doctors, social workers etc. fully investigate and examine all extended family members, in a perfect dysfunctional world of 2-4 kids, I would encourage them being kept together and with blood relatives... In this case, I can only hope that they are each given the opportunity and chance to live life as individuals...
From my own experience, while it may seem “easier and appropriate” for the older children to shelter and take care of the younger ones; trust and believe me, they have been doing that all of their life, they each need a chance to live life,Learn and grow into their own future without worrying about caretaking their siblings...

Yes, I agree totally. They need the chance to be individuals for the first time in their lives. The 20-somethings have been made to look and dress like their siblings decade(s) younger. They've been chained. Forced to walk and act as a group. In addition, the younger children need healthy and whole people to pour into them. Not a slam against the older ones, but they will each have so very much to work through. They need people in a healthy state of mind to invest in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dmccastor