CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really hope the police have already contacted the new owner who took pictures of the filthy and disturbing condition of one of the houses. I think one of the houses in Texas. Because I swear, I see what looks like a huge blood stain on the carpet in one of the pictures. I could be (and pray) I'm wrong. I actually don't know what a real blood stain would look like because thankfully I have never been in any situation where I have seen a lot of it. But to me, that red looks like blood. If it was from a kid...oh my God.

It would be really interesting to know what the former neighbours think of the Elvis vow renewal videos. I feel it would have been quite surprising to watch and not fit at all with their perceptions of the Turpin family.

I think of the kids are about to be moved to a foster family then it’s safe to say they are in a condition to be moved on! WB members saying it’s too soon etc are not in receipt of the condition of these kids! So why all the angst?

Professionals know best

All of the 13 siblings had diminished mental capacity
The 17-year-old girl has a first-grade-level education
They are all extremely pale, scared and skittish
After being freed, they specifically asked social workers if they could stay together.
They didn't ask anything about their parents.
They were, according to our source, astounded that people wanted to help them.
After receiving clothing, some described being "honored" to finally have shoes of their own.
Eventually, investigators could get a window into their world -- every child kept a journal. Several boxes of journals were recovered inside the home.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/david-louise-turpin-riverside-county-warning-signs/

Every time I think my heart can’t possibly break into more pieces over these wonderful survivors. [emoji22] I hope that one day they understand the depth of the love and concern so many of us have for them.

boy - I see you all were very busy posting last night - taken all day to catch up with you all! From the last thread:

Kasmeer said:
That site as a whole won't load for me and hasn't since the link was posted several hours ago; I've tried removing everything after the base domain and still can't access it, just times out. Weird that it's working for others, maybe some routing problem or maybe just not viewable outside the US?

Yes, it's probably that - bolded part. As I have trouble with some of the links posted here, and I'm in Northern Europe.

bears10 said:
Even this? http://riverside.courts.ca.gov

Maybe if you’re outside of the US that’s why? I’m not good with tech stuff.

Not good at tech stuff either - but I do believe it's cause "we" are outside the U.S. I even tried my Internet Explorer instead of Foxfire. Neither works.... oh well. Unless someone can to a screen shot - that would be great!!

and I see 69 guests.... join in the conversation all!

From your link:

CBS News has just learned that someone in Southern California has volunteered to take in and adopt all 13 of the kids and adults and their release to that family could happen as early as Monday.

Monday. Wow!

This makes me happy, but I hope that person has been thoroughly vetted and has the skills, training and support to do this right.

I really hope the police have already contacted the new owner who took pictures of the filthy and disturbing condition of one of the houses. I think one of the houses in Texas. Because I swear, I see what looks like a huge blood stain on the carpet in one of the pictures. I could be (and pray) I'm wrong. I actually don't know what a real blood stain would look like because thankfully I have never been in any situation where I have seen a lot of it. But to me, that red looks like blood. If it was from a kid...oh my God.
I am concerned about the comments from a neighbor in Texas who said that the dumpster at the abandoned home smelled like death. I am afraid that whoever disposed of the contents assumed the smell was rotting food/meat, no one looked, and God only knows what could have been in there.

As an animal rescuer, I'm going to point out that if these people had been pursued for abandoning those animals, leaving them to die locked in that Texas house, it's possible that these children would not have suffered for another decade. Maybe the authorities didn't know, if the neighbors did not report it. This is why it is so important to report animal abuse and abandonment.

The ball was dropped when it came to obvious animal abandonment and abuse on at least one occasion, but I'm betting it was not the only time.

Further, whoever cleaned out that house should have notified authorities and they should have been tracked. It was clear every time they left a place that they were living in horrid conditions with children. There were several missed opportunities on that front as well.

So how many times did the system fail these kids? Count up every move where the homes looked practically condemnable, and every time they abandoned an animal.

When we entered a home like this because of an animal hoarding or abandonment issue, here was the protocol. Humane workers/animal control ask police to open the place and accompany them. Photos are taken. Animals removed. Home is reported to the health department. Owners or residents are tracked. Minors and disabled adults are checked on because obviously they had been living in terrible conditions.

It seems none of this happened. Assuming no one called animal control, then it becomes the responsibility of the bank or owners of the rented home, who must be aware of these living conditions, to notify the authorities.

Often in animal rescue I get a case where a street animal is near death and I wonder how many people turned a blind eye before someone finally called us. Many. Many, I tell you. They don't have to help, they just need to make a damned phone call. Yet they don't. And then I am left with a 2 1/2 pound adult cat who is missing a leg and an eye, and eventually dies in my arms with me weeping over the fact that her internal organs were too damaged for me to save her despite immediate vet care.

This is what happened to these kids. The very same thing. Now they have lost years and will suffer, and the kind hospital folks will continue to have secondary traumatic stress disorder.

End of rant.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

There, doctors have observed a bond among the older siblings that is “very natural for people who are cut off from the outside world,” Dr. Fari Kamalpour told ABC News.

Because doctors and nurses are among the first people the siblings will interact with in the outside world — and because patients can tell if their doctors look discouraged — a limited team of positive, upbeat physicians were handpicked by medical staff to treat the children, according to ABC News.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-chains-and-freed-her-12-siblings/?tid=pm_pop

“It becomes very personal to you. And it hurts to see what another human being can do to another human being. So it does stay with you,” he said. “I don’t think there’s any of us that are involved or have spoken to them or interacted with them that slept much in the last week because you wake up in the middle of the night worrying about them.”

From the article:
“One 12-year-old is so malnourished that his weight was that of an average 7-year-old, and the 29-year-old female victim weighs 82 pounds, Hestrin said.”

Just looked it up and that’s 46-60 lbs. [emoji22]

In regards to foreclosed homes....

When a house goes into foreclosure, the bank owns it until someone else buys it. The bank is required to upkeep the house, winterize the pipes, and adhere to safety standards (such as installing railings, boarding up windows if necessary, snow removal, fix holes in floors). The bank is supposed to hire a company to do all that. I know b/c my DH works for such a company. Once the bank takes possession, these companies do an initial clean out, empty the entire contents and take them to the dump. Fix any safety issues, install lockboxes or change locks, and are required to check on the house biweekly.

Makes me wonder why the Texas home still had beds. Whatever bank foreclosed on that home did not follow the rules, or perhaps the rules are different in TX? But didnt some pics have boarded up windows? I wonder if the bank did do an initial clean out but left the beds? So many questions... I know the company my husband works for has called LE several times for suspicious things (they once found drugs, once maybe evidence of dog fighting). Just sad, as there were probably even more opportunities for someone to help these children!

I don’t think this applies to all states. We purchased a foreclosed home that had been empty for several years and there was a good bit left behind. There was also a lot of things (bannisters and railings) that had been removed. It was an ‘as is’ property. The real estate agent hired had placed lockboxes but nothing else was done to the interior or exterior. It took 2 months for us to make it habitable. We paid less than half what it was worth, though. Some of the things I found in closets were disgusting.

This makes me happy, but I hope that person has been thoroughly vetted and has the skills, training and support to do this right.

I would think the only responsible entity to take on all these children would be something like a group home, with
highly experienced, therapy professionals on staff. Because many of these children will come with their own behavioral
and psychological problems it can't just be a couple of individuals wanting to help them.
I can only imagine the long term emotional issues these poor children will have to contend with. PTSD can have
horrifying behaviors for adults so I guess it could be similar for children.

Hello, I'm new here but have been reading this with interest (and horror).

Here are a few observations that I haven't seen anyone else post:

1. The picture of the siblings on the couch shows the same room as the picture taken from the back yard (showing piles of boxes/junk through the window). You can tell by comparing the curtains (green) and the yard. That means that room was clean for the picture. Was it cleaned just for the picture? How did they clean it so well when that was seemingly so not the norm?

2. Regarding the (long) renewal video (2013)...I found it interesting that the 3 middle girls did not walk down the aisle and did not stand in front like the others (though two of the youngest girls also sat after walking down the aisle). The middle girls also seemed to glance at mom (or maybe older sibling) multiple times starting at 27:00.

3. Also regarding that video...the youngest girls wait until mom motions for them to snap their fingers (around 12:10). They don't snap until she does.

Maybe I'm looking too closely.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this comment, but it reminds me to consider there was mention , at the court arraignment, the husband was snapping at the table? Or was it the wife? Does anybody know what I'm referring to.

I am concerned about the comments from a neighbor in Texas who said that the dumpster at the abandoned home smelled like death. I am afraid that whoever disposed of the contents assumed the smell was rotting food/meat, no one looked, and God only knows what could have been in there.

As an animal rescuer, I'm going to point out that if these people had been pursued for abandoning those animals, leaving them to die locked in that Texas house, it's possible that these children would not have suffered for another decade. Maybe the authorities didn't know, if the neighbors did not report it. This is why it is so important to report animal abuse and abandonment.

The ball was dropped when it came to obvious animal abandonment and abuse on at least one occasion, but I'm betting it was not the only time.

Further, whoever cleaned out that house should have notified authorities and they should have been tracked. It was clear every time they left a place that they were living in horrid conditions with children. There were several missed opportunities on that front as well.

So how many times did the system fail these kids? Count up every move where the homes looked practically condemnable, and every time they abandoned an animal.

When we entered a home like this because of an animal hoarding or abandonment issue, here was the protocol. Humane workers/animal control ask police to open the place and accompany them. Photos are taken. Animals removed. Home is reported to the health department. Owners or residents are tracked. Minors and disabled adults are checked on because obviously they had been living in terrible conditions.

It seems none of this happened. Assuming no one called animal control, then it becomes the responsibility of the bank or owners of the rented home, who must be aware of these living conditions, to notify the authorities.

Often in animal rescue I get a case where a street animal is near death and I wonder how many people turned a blind eye before someone finally called us. Many. Many, I tell you. They don't have to help, they just need to make a damned phone call. Yet they don't. And then I am left with a 2 1/2 pound adult cat who is missing a leg and an eye, and eventually dies in my arms with me weeping over the fact that her internal organs were too damaged for me to save her despite immediate vet care.

This is what happened to these kids. The very same thing. Now they have lost years and will suffer, and the kind hospital folks will continue to have secondary traumatic stress disorder.

End of rant.

After they lost the house to a foreclosure, the mortgage company came out to start cleaning up the property.

'”I was so scared when they picked up the trash, I was hoping they wouldn't find dead bodies, they found several dead animals in the house. It was a tense eight years while they lived next to us.'“

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...in-kids-says-family-left-kitten-dumpster.html

In the group photo in this article I notice 2 out of the 3 male children can't point. Any medical types on here? I was wondering if this might be some kind of peripheral neuropathy caused by restraints around the wrist..?

www.sbs.com.au/news/torture-probe-l...children-found-shackled-to-beds-in-california

Actually, the little girl behind the youngest boy doesn't seem to be able to either and I can very clearly see a bruise around her other wrist :(

Vmmking, I forgot all about that neighbor saying the dumpster "smelled of death." I am feeling physically ill right now. At the time I heard the neighbor say that in the video, I got chills and thought it was very ominous. I'm getting confused now between the two houses in Texas. They lived in Forth Worth first I think, and then lived in Rio Vista, before moving to California. I know the garbage dumpster was in Rio Vista. But I don't remember if the pictures with the creepy stains on the floor were at THAT house or the one in Fort Worth.

If the red stain and the dumpster are both from the same house...oh God, I think it seems at least one kid we don't know about may not have made it out of there alive. I pray all this grisly speculation is wrong. Maybe the parents got tipsy one night listening to an Elvis record and spilled wine on the carpet. Maybe the smell in the dumpster was just rotten food or at worst a dead animal (still sad, but not as horrific as a dead KID!) I hope I'm wrong. But it's very ominous, and I hope the police are looking into it.

I've posted a rudimentary timeline on the Media and Timeline thread for this case. Not perfect, but helped me tie in the media info with data from the Bankruptcy filing and the estimates of when each of the survivors was born (thank you to the sleuthers who worked on that!). Will try and go back and improve the citations, but have to go run errands first. :(

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/s...se-Case-NO-DISCUSSION&p=13878471#post13878471

From your link:

CBS News has just learned that someone in Southern California has volunteered to take in and adopt all 13 of the kids and adults and their release to that family could happen as early as Monday.

Monday. Wow!

Honestly, I find this strange. It's one thing to volunteer to be a foster family for the children, but to volunteer to adopt all of them this soon seems irresponsible.

It's so soon in the process that the evaluations they've had are likely not completely accurate as to their needs. The kids are still in shock, they've rarely interacted with outsiders, and clearly haven't had even the most basic "home training" so to speak.

To me it seems like a group home situation where there is a round-the-clock staff would be wise. 3-4 adults during the day to help the children with basic activities of daily living, helping them learn routines, have the beginnings of some school lessons, learning how to do chores, supervising their eating and nutritional needs, etc.

It's going to take a long time for any of them to feel secure about there always being enough food. Some of them will probably overeat at meals and hoard food due to their fears, and it will take an expert to help them with just this by itself.

Then there should be 1-2 adults there awake at night in case the children awaken with nightmares or have any other issues. Now that they are being exposed to the outside world, it's likely they'll all start falling victim to the myriad of viruses most people experience as children, and with their weakened immune systems due to malnutrition it will be important to monitor them carefully.

It's extremely difficult for two adults to care for a large family of their own, let alone a large family such as this one with so many problems and fears. I just think it's really unwise to place them with only 1-2 adults at this stage.

Vacation rental? Or perhaps they had just moved in and hadn't trashed it yet :(

Edit: Moving into a furnished home makes a lot more sense, I hadn't thought of that!

It does make a lot of sense, especially with their history of leaving everything behind when moving.

In the group photo in this article I notice 2 out of the 3 male children can't point. Any medical types on here? I was wondering if this might be some kind of peripheral neuropathy caused by restraints around the wrist..?

www.sbs.com.au/news/torture-probe-l...children-found-shackled-to-beds-in-california

Actually, the little girl behind the youngest boy doesn't seem to be able to either and I can very clearly see a bruise around her other wrist :(

I thought this same thing when I looked at this picture. But, I think it’s possible that Elvis is doing his “Elvis point” and possibly the kids were trying to mimic the position of his hand.

I agree with you on the appearance of bruises. Also, the boys’ fingernails look so long to me. Most of their hands appear dirty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member