CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Watching the video again, the middle boy and the oldest girl appear to be the most emaciated.
The middle boy breaks my heart the most of all. I don't know why.

OT: I went to public school with a girl who became a good friend who had 11 sisters and 2 brothers. I loved hanging out at their house. They were so... different and amazing. They all had names like faith hope charity patience etc and wore clothes from a bygone era. Their brothers were very special to all those sisters.

The middle Turpin brother looks so forlorn. I hope he gets good vision care from here on out. Being able to see well is very important to... connecting with the world around you.

Will the Turpins eventually know which of their children was the one to escape and call for help?

I'm sure they already know. The one who possessed the most resilience, hardest to break, smarter than them,or one step ahead of them, likely was innately always this way. She may have had the smarts and the skills to gain their trust more than the others. I bet she made them nervous in their subconscious.

They were also busy unshackling the others before the police could see their depravity with their own eyes. I hope they see her face in their dreams every single day for the rest of their incarcerated lives. I hope she literally haunts their every waking hour.

They knew.

I don't recall if this People article on what a high school friend of DT's said about him has been posted.

http://people.com/crime/california-house-horrors-classmate-david-turpin-speaks/

Gilbert describes Turpin back then as “a homebody” who was never in trouble. He says Turpin was a member of the bible and chess clubs as well as the a cappella group.

“He was a quiet, very intelligent person,” Gilbert says. “Just, well actually sort of nerdy, and I don’t meant that in a bad way at all.”

Another article: Princeton Residents Remember Turpin

http://www.register-herald.com/news...cle_37571d0b-50b6-56b7-b2d4-53c9f78d32e1.html

A copy of the 1979 Tiger Yearbook listed Turpin as a member of the treasurer of the Bible Club, co-captain of the Chess Club and a member of the Science Club and Acapella Choir. Like many of other seniors looking forward to graduation, David Turpin outlined his ambitions and personal motto.

His ambition was “to take up a career in electrical engineering and invent the light bulb.” And his motto was: “Never do today what you can put off until tomorrow,” according to the yearbook.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

All of this haunts me.

Two things from this article http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-na-perris-texas-20180120-story.html

1. “Sometimes in the evenings she would hear the Turpin children playing in their yard, so one day she grabbed a jump rope and knocked on the door of the trailer. . . . A skinny, pale girl with long brown hair opened the door and just stared, she said. ‘Her eyes just got real wide. She closed the door back in my face,’ Vinyard recalled.”

If the children were being restrained while living in Texas, which it seems they were (see the next quote), can you imagine opening the door to a playmate and seeing her holding a jump rope, which, if you’ve possibly never jumped rope before, would look very much like a restraint. [emoji174]

At that moment at the door, the child could have thought, “Parents restrain and torture us—and people outside this house want to, too?” Horrifying.

2. “After the family left, repo men showed up for their two cars, and their house was foreclosed. Billy Baldwin and his mother bought the house a year later, the interior trashed, the bathroom floor rotted through, he said. Inside, Baldwin found a handful of Polaroids taken when the Turpins left. One shows a bed with a metal rail that has a rope tied to it, he said.”

I keep wondering why DT and LT would photograph the bed with restraints on it and who knows what else—and why they would leave such incriminating photos behind.

Then, it occurred to me that perhaps, even then, one of the children had the wherewithal to take photos as evidence of the torture, neglect, and abuse and left it behind, in the hope that whoever lived in the home next would put two and two together and alert authorities.

Remembering that attempt at sending up a flare to signal distress did not work, this time child #8 took the evidence with her when she made her dash for life.

Maybe. Maybe not. JMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think he thinks he's fat.

I think that part of the drawing is a wish. He is hungry.
Of course he is not "fat," nor are his actual arms and hands merely inanimate, helpless sticks. It may be that part of the brainwashing was constantly telling these starving children that they are "too fat".

This was found at one of the homes they use to live in. I wonder what this drawing is about? :(

attachment.php

Source: http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/images-released-texas-home-captive-siblings-live-52475851

Is that a drawing of a pregnant person with a name that begins with J?

All of this haunts me.

Two things from this article http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-na-perris-texas-20180120-story.html

1. “Sometimes in the evenings she would hear the Turpin children playing in their yard, so one day she grabbed a jump rope and knocked on the door of the trailer. . . . A skinny, pale girl with long brown hair opened the door and just stared, she said. ‘Her eyes just got real wide. She closed the door back in my face,’ Vinyard recalled.”

If the children were being restrained while living in Texas, which it seems they were (see the next quote), can you imagine opening the door to a playmate and seeing her holding a jump rope, which, if you’ve possibly never jumped rope before, would look very much like a restraint. [emoji174]

At that moment at the door, the child could have thought, “Parents restrain and torture us—and people outside this house want to, too?” Horrifying.

2. “After the family left, repo men showed up for their two cars, and their house was foreclosed. Billy Baldwin and his mother bought the house a year later, the interior trashed, the bathroom floor rotted through, he said. Inside, Baldwin found a handful of Polaroids taken when the Turpins left. One shows a bed with a metal rail that has a rope tied to it, he said.”

I keep wondering why DT and LT would photograph the bed with restraints on it and who knows what else—and why they would leave such incriminating photos behind.

Then, it occurred to me that perhaps, even then, one of the children had the wherewithal to take photos as evidence of the torture, neglect, and abuse and left it behind, in the hope that whoever lived in the home next would put two and two together and alert authorities.

Remembering that attempt at sending up a flare to signal distress did not work, this time child #8 took the evidence with her when she made her dash for life.

Maybe. Maybe not. JMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BBM

This is truly awesome insight. I didn't think of that at first, but it is likely very true. It breaks my heart to even read it. They were also likely terrified of the punishment they would receive for even opening the door to begin with.

Of course he is not "fat," nor are his actual arms and hands merely inanimate, helpless sticks. It may be that part of the brainwashing was constantly telling these starving children that they are "too fat".

Whoa.

I never said you thought he was "Fat".

You stated "He thinks he's fat". And I understand why you are saying that.

My impression differed. I stated that what I saw was a clear freudian wish to be filled, fat, with stomach full of food because he was starving, with his body drawn as a literal target for harm and abuse.

It's a simple difference in what we are seeing.

Neither is right or wrong.

LA Times editorial

After the Perris nightmare, it's time to monitor home-schools more closely

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/editorials/la-ed-home-school-20180118-story.html

Most tales of home-schooling are of course nothing like this. But the Perris case serves as a reminder that California plays it too loosey-goosey when it comes to the welfare and education of home-schooled children.

At the same time, like every state, California has a compulsory-education law as well as numerous child-welfare statutes. The state bears some responsibility for ensuring that children are getting the basics of a good education and that they are safe. As great as many home-schoolers are, there also are parents who withdraw their children from public schools at precisely the moment when teachers, who are mandated public reporters of child abuse, start noticing signs of potentially dangerous family problems and asking questions.

What might a reasonable, non-bureaucratic set of rules look like? Here’s one possibility: annual inspections by school districts, reimbursed by the state, to ensure that students are learning in a basically decent environment. The inspectors would interview students privately so that they could feel safe talking about any abuse and would review the educational plan and a portfolio of the student’s work to see whether the parents are actually teaching.

There is video. It's not inappropriate behavior per se. I see it as inappropriate affect. A lot of smiling as she sits there charged with the torture of her children.

Before it's said, I do not see it as "nerves".

MOO
It reminds me of the picture of Isabel Martinez. She stabbed her husband and 5 children. All died but one child. She was giving thumbs up and smiling in court.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/georgia-mom-charged-killing-family-smiles-court-n780571

LA Times editorial

After the Perris nightmare, it's time to monitor home-schools more closely

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/editorials/la-ed-home-school-20180118-story.html

Most tales of home-schooling are of course nothing like this. But the Perris case serves as a reminder that California plays it too loosey-goosey when it comes to the welfare and education of home-schooled children.

At the same time, like every state, California has a compulsory-education law as well as numerous child-welfare statutes. The state bears some responsibility for ensuring that children are getting the basics of a good education and that they are safe. As great as many home-schoolers are, there also are parents who withdraw their children from public schools at precisely the moment when teachers, who are mandated public reporters of child abuse, start noticing signs of potentially dangerous family problems and asking questions.

What might a reasonable, non-bureaucratic set of rules look like? Here’s one possibility: annual inspections by school districts, reimbursed by the state, to ensure that students are learning in a basically decent environment. The inspectors would interview students privately so that they could feel safe talking about any abuse and would review the educational plan and a portfolio of the student’s work to see whether the parents are actually teaching.

Homeschooling is growing year by year. Visiting every home to inspect? Seems like a task that could never actually be accomplished or funded.

Not sure this thread needs to go down this road anyway....this is one editorial that could be countered with another and on and on, ykwim?

jmo

I don't recall if this People article on what a high school friend of DT's said about him has been posted.

http://people.com/crime/california-house-horrors-classmate-david-turpin-speaks/

Gilbert describes Turpin back then as “a homebody” who was never in trouble. He says Turpin was a member of the bible and chess clubs as well as the a cappella group.

“He was a quiet, very intelligent person,” Gilbert says. “Just, well actually sort of nerdy, and I don’t meant that in a bad way at all.”

Another article: Princeton Residents Remember Turpin

http://www.register-herald.com/news...cle_37571d0b-50b6-56b7-b2d4-53c9f78d32e1.html

A copy of the 1979 Tiger Yearbook listed Turpin as a member of the treasurer of the Bible Club, co-captain of the Chess Club and a member of the Science Club and Acapella Choir. Like many of other seniors looking forward to graduation, David Turpin outlined his ambitions and personal motto.

His ambition was “to take up a career in electrical engineering and invent the light bulb.” And his motto was: “Never do today what you can put off until tomorrow,” according to the yearbook.

What is it with the "he wanted to invent the lightbulb" thing? I swear everytime I read that I'm like...wait it was already invented by Thomas Edison in the late 1800's. wth?

When do you think there will be another press conference or release of info?

I don't think we'll hear any updates from the sheriff or DA unless something new happens. But because there's so much interest in this case the hospital might give a brief, generic, update..........something along the lines of "all are doing well, gaining weight, enjoying learning new things", etc.

Homeschooling is growing year by year. Visiting every home to inspect? Seems like a task that could never actually be accomplished or funded.

Not sure this thread needs to go down this road anyway....this is one editorial that could be countered with another and on and on, ykwim?

jmo

It could be and should be. Home visits by trained clinicians and mandated reporters would not be that expensive or difficult to accomplish. At least if we want to avoid another Turpin situation and others like it. If parents want to homeschool, that is their prerogative, but is should be regulated as it is used nefariously by some to perpetuate abuse and neglect.

I hope the horrific chronic abuse of these children that went on for decades taught us something about the lack of legislation and regulation and some states. If parents are not doing anything nefarious while homeschooling they shouldn't object to oversight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper