CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It appears to me there was probably carpet that was ripped out, along with the floorboards. Maybe what looks like feces is filthy remnant floor padding that’s crusted to the wood floorboards?

ETA: lol, I just saw the post above this one. Seems we’re thinking the same thing!!

Yep!

Yes, the baseboards are removed after a flood to help the water drain and to try to get air between the studs. I didn't notice the baseboards were missing when I glanced at the photo, but that's definitely another sign there has been flooding. We removed our sheetrock and replaced it (then moved to a brand new home high on a hill). Some of our neighbors just tried to wash their walls and floors with bleach water without removing the wet sheetrock and insulation, and ended up with stinky, moldy homes. Sad.

I’ve seen beige, yellowish, blueish, brown, calico-colored carpet padding. Never black.
Black used to be the color of the very thin padding put down under what I call "office carpet" - the very, very low carpet.

My dad remodeled houses, so I saw lots of different kinds.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Black used to be the color of the very thin padding put down under what I call "office carpet" - the very, very low carpet.

My dad remodeled houses, so I saw lots of different kinds.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thank you! Ah, like the backing on industrial-type office carpeting. The thicker, denser rubbery kind. My brain is foggy; getting over a week of horrible chest yuck. Thanks for setting me straight. ❤️

I'm no psychologist, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Stockholm Syndrome would not apply where the "captors" are a child's parents. Children have a natural and biological love and affinity for parents, even for parents who abuse, neglect, or abandon them.

Not to mention no experience/frame of reference on which to base their opinions of what a normal family looks like.Maybe they thought all people lived this way.

Yep!

Yes, the baseboards are removed after a flood to help the water drain and to try to get air between the studs. I didn't notice the baseboards were missing when I glanced at the photo, but that's definitely another sign there has been flooding. We removed our sheetrock and replaced it (then moved to a brand new home high on a hill). Some of our neighbors just tried to wash their walls and floors with bleach water without removing the wet sheetrock and insulation, and ended up with stinky, moldy homes. Sad.

Yes, totally!

If the roof was in bad shape, too, that could easily contribute to water damage and mold throughout the home, especially if the carpeting was wet/damp for any length of time.

Thank you Spice for checking first. Before I say yes what is the name of the publication this study comes from?

Thanks,
Tricia

You're welcome Tricia.

It is a peer reviewed scholarly article published in the Journal of Child Adolescent Trauma. Published by Springer in 2014. Authors are as follows:

Barbara L. Knox & Suzanne P. Starling & Kenneth W. Feldman &
Nancy D. Kellogg & Lori D. Frasier & Suzanna L. Tiapula

B. L. Knox (*)
Department of Pediatrics, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health, American Family Children’s Hospital, 600 Highland Ave, H4/428 Clinical Science Center, Madison,
WI 53792-4108, USA

S. P. Starling
Eastern Virginia Medical School, Children’s Hospital of The King’s Daughters, Norfolk, VA, USA
K. W. Feldman

University of Washington, and Seattle Children’s Hospital, Seattle, WA, USA
N. D. Kellogg

University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, San Antonio, TX, USA

L. D. Frasier
Primary Children’s Medical Center, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT, USA

S. L. Tiapula
National Center for Prosecution of Child Abuse, Alexandria, VA, USA

If you would like me to send you the article in a PM first, just let me know. Maybe we can have the graphic pictures of the torture blurred out before linking? I'm not tech savvy enough to do so, and I do not want to ask that of anyone.

Institutional deprivationEdit From earlier Link-
Children that receive impoverished stimulation due to being confined to cots without social interaction or reliable caretakers in low quality orphanages show severe delays in cognitive and social development.[62] 12% of them if adopted after 6 months of age show autistic or mildly autistic traits later at four years of age.[63] Some children in such impoverished orphanages at two and half years of age still fail to produce intelligible words, though a year of foster care enabled such children to catch up in their language in most respects.[64] Catch-up in other cognitive functioning also occurs after adoption, though problems continue in many children if this happens after the age of 6 months[65]

Just posted this to show potential long term problems from early neglect.

Interesting. Thank you. Do you still have a link, or was that posted upthread? I’d like to read more.

Not to mention no experience/frame of reference on which to base their opinions of what a normal family looks like.Maybe they thought all people lived this way.

You’re right. Guh. That’s so incredibly sad. I’m so thankful they’re finally free from that hellhole. Pardon my language.

Thank you for posting that video, I hadn't seen it. It gave a pretty good chronology of the moves from Ft. Worth to Rio Vista to California.

The Fort Worth house was clean and neat at the 1:45 mark. (I presume it was the Ft. Worth house...anyway).

Something must have happened before they moved out of the Fort Worth house, since it was left so dirty. I know that houses look dirtier when you move out and move the furniture and expose the clean carpet which makes the traffic area look really dirty, but that was way beyond that. Real dirty, dirty carpet and walls and doors. Yuck.

It does sound like they tried to home school, if there were desks lined up like a school at some point in Rio Vista. I wonder if they used the brick house for school when they moved to the mobile home, or what?

The something that happened may have been simply going broke and going into foreclosure. Maybe it was trashed out of anger at the bank.

Their firstborn (a daughter) was born in Los Angeles county in the late 80s-- which fits with the "more than 20 years ago" in this article. They started as newlyweds in an apartment in the SW part of Tarrant County (a suburb of Fort Worth where he apparently was employed), then were in CA at least long enough to give birth to JT1. But by 1990 they had addresses in TX again.

Quoting to correct myself...JT1's birth put them in CA roughly 30 years ago, but yes--this Brea residence over 20 yrs ago (with 4 kids) had not come up before in my reading, at least. Again, DT may have traveled between TX and CA for his defense contractor job, though (big hubs in both those areas). There may have been short-term rentals.

If the couple only had 4 kids when they visited, that puts them in Brea, CA, between 1995-1997.

I’ve seen beige, yellowish, blueish, brown, calico-colored carpet padding. Never black.

I have seen the multi color and black. But full disclosure. I hate carpeting. When we bought our house, we ripped up the new carpeting immediately to replace with wood floor. The filth that had seeped through the carpeting was sickening and it had been newly installed to sell the house.

That is how our roommate was who escaped from a strictly religious family who kept all of their kids very isolated. She was 17 when she got out and had thought it was totally normal not to be allowed to play with neighborhood kids, listen to the radio, cut her hair or have an education that included anything besides scripture. She’d tried to leave a few times after she’d snuck out and made a few friends and started to realize what her parents were doing wasn’t right and finally got herself kicked out when she snuck a pair of scissors and cut her hair short. She called CPS several times trying to help her siblings but nothing ever came of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This post from the International Center for Home Education Research Reviews discussed the article I believe Spice is referencing. I did not click around in the blog, but the author's summary seems to be unbiased enough.

Hope this is a credible enough source. Not trying to circumvent the system or start homeschool debate with chosen link. Will delete if necessary.

http://icher.org/blog/?p=1487

From the author's summary from the page.

Summary: The authors, affiliated with a range of medical and educational institutions across the country, here come together to report on 28 cases of extreme child abuse, finding that the term “torture” aptly summarizes what these children experienced.

In every case reported on here, a female adult was involved in the abuse. In 20 cases a male was also involved. For all cases all adults in the home knew what was going on, and most partially confessed their crimes, though they usually minimalized or rationalized their involvement. The authors provide a table detailing the abusive treatment for every child in the sample that makes for horrifying reading. They also provide some very disturbing photographs with descriptions in a couple of the cases.

The authors note that in many of the cases physicians failed to diagnose the torture when presented with a malnourished child with bruises and broken bones. Some of these children were even visited by protective service agents at home, who missed these signs.
In interviews with the children, the authors suggest that open-ended questions like “tell me about meal time” or “what are the rules about sleep or potty” are best, because the children will likely not recognize their treatment as abusive since it’s all they know. Most basically, social service agents and family physicians need to be made aware of the medical definition of torture the authors have provided here so that they can recognize it when they see it. Over half of the cases reported on in this article had been previously reported to child protective services but exonerated.

ETA: I don't believe the article itself is linked, even, just sited. And the graphic stuff is not part of the summary.

Yes, totally!

If the roof was in bad shape, too, that could easily contribute to water damage and mold throughout the home, especially if the carpeting was wet/damp for any length of time.

When sheetrock gets water, it swells. Think of when you get a book wet. Is there swelling of sheetrock in that picture?

And mold will destroy your lungs

BBM

When the police rescued them the children communicated that they were "starving", and LE fed them immediately. I don't think they lost their appetite.
Years ago, there was a boy in the news who had been starved by his parents or foster parents (can't remember for sure).
Over the years, he had learned to regurgitate, and throw up into his mouth to have something to swallow. After he was rescued from that living hell, the new family he went to live with said that even though he had food available to him, and was going through therapy, he was still throwing up to eat it instead of reaching for food.

Yeah, I'm almost positive Jaycee & her kids were not chained. They were certainly limited to their living area in the backyard but they weren't restrained.

I'm sure we'd know if Prader-Willi was a factor. I'm certain it's not. Good point tho. I too am really into speculating about what the heck the defense will pull outta their butts for this case!

Parents may lock up food or hide food if someone in the household has bulimia or binge eating disorder/compulsive overeating. I've experienced this myself firsthand. Obviously w/ 13 kids that can't be their excuse. Like, it's impossible that all 13 have Prader-Willi or another eating or feeding disorder. And feeding disorders include such things as nocturnal eating/sleepwalk-eating; extreme picky eating; rumination syndrome .. and even a lot of functional GI disorders such as GERD, IBS & IBDs can cause "phantom" hunger and malabsorption that can contribute to strange eating patterns (I live this myself every day of my life). Again, defense is outta luck 'cause not ALL 13 kids can possibly have such a condition (insert huge eye roll here).

Lauren Kavanaugh's mother successfully duped her relatives & her other children into believing Lauren had a compulsive-overeating-type eating disorder, saying that was why she was excluded from meals & locked out of cupboards. Indeed, the little girl DID compulsively eat anything she could get her hands on, bc of her prolonged starvation/malnutrition...so of course this only served to bolster the mom's original excuse, so everyone believed it. How messed up is that?!

Back to the Ts: I felt a teeny tiny bit of sympathy when ppl were speculating upthread that sheer lack of resources/finances may have started the spiral of food deprivation...but if the parents were eating out that often (Taco Bell every day?!) that's just crappy financial planning & meal planning on their part. Anyone who's ever been on a budget knows how to clip coupons and just boil up a ton of pasta for the week to really stretch their food dollar. Sure, the kids' diet wouldn't have been that "healthy" but at least calories would be going in more than once a day. It takes a LOT of planning & organization to feed a family of 15, plus 2 dogs. Mama Turpin is lazy or just doesn't care enough. Sad. Managing a big family is a job in itself, no doubt about it...but that's what you get when you choose to have that many children. I was raised LDS and I grew up knowing several families with 8 or more kids. It's tough but it can be done.

Agree... Pasta, rice, beans, potatoes, oatmeal, cabbage, powdered milk... lack of finances is no excuse for starving your family.

Jaycee... I'm pretty sure she and her children lived in the house after the first few years.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environmental_enrichment

This is an article about enriched/deprived environment and the effects on cognitive development.

It does talk about experiments with rats at first, but it does address different situations with children. (Eta, humans in general)

It also helps explain some of the statements doctors have made in regard to this case.

For EuTuCroquet:

See link above for article I quoted on long term neglect. Thanks December, this is a very informative article.

When sheetrock gets water, it swells. Think of when you get a book wet. Is there swelling of sheetrock in that picture?

And mold will destroy your lungs

Only if submerged for a length of time. My sheetrock didn't expand after the flood and neither did my neighbors. Flood waters went up and then quickly receded. I removed my sheetrock but many of my neighbors did not. They washed with bleach water, put fans on it, and moved back in. They only way you can tell their houses were flooded is on humid days, their homes smell really dank and musty - like a cave.
A lot of flood victims don't remove their sheetrock, even though they should. They can't afford it.

In the photo posted of the T's living room, there's cupping of the wood floor planks, especially noticeable in the foreground, to the left, which also indicates water damage.

Only if submerged for a length of time. My sheetrock didn't expand after the flood and neither did my neighbors. Flood waters went up and then quickly receded. I removed my sheetrock but many of my neighbors did not. They washed with bleach water, put fans on it, and moved back in. They only way you can tell their houses were flooded is on humid days, their homes smell really dank and musty - like a cave.
A lot of flood victims don't remove their sheetrock, even though they should. They can't afford it.

In the photo posted of the T's living room, there's cupping of the wood floor planks, especially noticeable in the foreground, to the left, which also indicates water damage.

How could the walls not be submerged for a time? And the stuff inside the sheetrock when it gets wet, crumbles.

I have no experience with flooding , but I have experience with getting sheetrock wet. It is junk if it gets wet. There is special sheetrock made for bathrooms . I forget what it is called which does not have the same issues. Would people in follod plains be required to have homes with that kind of sheetrock?

Just about the write the same. Most refrigerators have safety chains so it doesn't topple.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Very odd... I've never seen a refrigerator chained to the wall, even when I lived in SoCal earthquake zone. It's a good idea, we bolt every bookcase to the wall, but in 11 houses, in different areas of the country, I've never had a fridge attached to the wall.

This is like when I learned about the little arrow on the gas pump symbol on the dashboard.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member