CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
(Just wanted to pop in and say I hope all the kids are doing great! I'm taking a break from this case for my own sanity at the moment but wanted to send positive thoughts.)

Yes for sure it could have been drawn by a younger child from a top bunk. It just seems to have a certain quality, I think how well done the facial expression is and the circles both round and even spacing that makes me see it as done by an older teen or adult .

When I first saw it I thought LT had drawn it. It struck me as a threat. Weird huh?

When I first saw it I thought LT had drawn it. It struck me as a threat. Weird huh?

It seemed like a large drawing so I thought it was drawn by an adult. In my experience, children's drawings are much smaller. Even when they draw on a whiteboard, the size of the drawing is like what would be put on a piece of paper.

Also those places of drywall with the portion of the paper torn off right above the baseboards a few inches or so throughout looks like what would happen if a small dog was trapped in a room and was frantically pacing the room and trying to get out. They paw the bottom of the walls. I've seen dogs do this at the vet in the exam room.

I'm new here, so I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post this.
I was reading that post by the oldest child's former classmate where one of the last lines said "from cootie kid to conquered the world" when he is talking about his hopes for her future. Do ya'll think it'd be a cool idea to make shirts or something that say that and all the proceeds will go to the Turpin siblings? Or would that be disrespectful/crossing a boundary? I'm just trying to think of a way to help. I live in their area, and I can't seem to get the story out of my mind.

I was reading that post by the oldest child's former classmate where one of the last lines said "from cootie kid to conquered the world" when he is talking about his hopes for her future. Do ya'll think it'd be a cool idea to make shirts or something that say that and all the proceeds will go to the Turpin siblings? Or would that be disrespectful/crossing a boundary? I'm just trying to think of a way to help. I live in their area, and I can't seem to get the story out of my mind.

I personally cringe when I hear the term "cootie kid". It's so awful and marginalizing and not a label or term they should be identified with. It's so hurtful. I understood the sentiment in the original post from the classmate, but felt while attempting to be compassionate, it was tone deaf to the importance of language, healing, and dignity. ("Cootie Kid").

They were not cootie kids, they were tortured, abused, and failed by their parents and society. That should not be minimized or upheld through language.

From victim to survivor is a term that I have always upheld. Language is so important. It shapes the way we think.

Maybe "From victims to survivors, to leaders"

Or... the "The Strongest 13".

Something that focuses on their humanity, dignity, strength, and resilience.

I love that you want to help.

I was reading that post by the oldest child's former classmate where one of the last lines said "from cootie kid to conquered the world" (SNIP-SNIP).

While for a good cause, I understand, still...No one, should be referred to as a “cootie kid”, I saw that post, and I found it very disturbing...on the one hand trying to be kind, yet still labeling someone who has been the survivor of such horrors most of us have never seen, as a “cootie kid”....*sheesh*..

While the “Conquer the World” is great, the other is just (imho) waaay over the line and a slap in the face...and I personally think that it would likely be traumatic for a child even if now an adult who has suffered & survived what they have, to have to see “cootie kid” on shirts everywhere they look...I mean, doesn’t it seem like that would cause emotional or psychological flash backs maybe to their getting picked on by an entire class or school of children? The shame and humiliation, etc...(imho) just not a good thing...

However, cool idea, just think perhaps..two positives or a positive...these individuals have had enough negatives for multiple lifetimes...they shouldn’t be forced to have negative terms labeling them still..*shrugs*...

All of the above is just and only my own humble opinions, views, perspectives, Big Fish Tales, and personal takes; unless otherwise indicated by a website URL link and/or my referencing a specific outside source.

Yes for sure it could have been drawn by a younger child from a top bunk. It just seems to have a certain quality, I think how well done the facial expression is and the circles both round and even spacing that makes me see it as done by an older teen or adult .

This was my thought as well.

Yes, I totally see everyone's point. I knew something didn't feel totally right about it, and you guys hit the nail on the head. It's the negative label thing. I like the "strongest 13" idea better. I'm not even sure if I can/should make this happen, I just want to do something. Reading through this thread and not knowing how to help directly is just making me sad.

Yes, I totally see everyone's point. I knew something didn't feel totally right about it, and you guys hit the nail on the head. It's the negative label thing. I like the "strongest 13" idea better. I'm not even sure if I can/should make this happen, I just want to do something. Reading through this thread and not knowing how to help directly is just making me sad.

Doing something is a beautiful thing. It links us in our shared humanity.

I think shirts is a great idea. I remember all the Houston Strong shirts after the Hurricane. they were really popular and raised a lot of money and gave us a visual connector.

(SNIP-SNIP), I just want to do something. Reading through this thread and not knowing how to help directly is just making me sad.

I know what you mean..on the one hand I feel total outrage, and a burning anger at those ‘accused’ Monsters!, and just want to get my hands on them...

And on the other hand, feeling so helpless, when I think about it, all I can think about is how badly I want to champion them all, and show them that the world and people in it, aren’t all deranged nutters, but many kind compassionate and loving people out here, who would love to protect them, care for them, teach them, and watch them blossom and grow as human beings...and to really and truly, give them so much happiness they are only smiling and exhausted at night from all of the fun & amazing things they’ve been shown, given, allowed to experience, and to see them laugh with abandon, happy, comfortable with who they are...

And yet, hands tied a million miles away, and unable to “do”..it’s very Frustrating...

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Now it's just a matter of figuring out exactly how to make this happen. I'm a college student so this may be difficult, I'll keep you all posted.
Also, just my two cents on the drawing in the room, I was under the impression that a child drew it, but I could be wrong. Not sure if someone said this already, but if that is feces smeared in the middle of the drawing, that can be a sign of several mental health issues. It can be a result of abuse, particularly sexual trauma, but is also very common in children with radical attachment disorder (extremely common in cases of neglect).

I was away from the computer all day today and missed several pages of this thread. Not sure I will be able to catch up at this point.

I wanted to mention something about the possible flooding of the Texas home. There are a couple of other ways that a house can flood besides rising waters coming in from the outside.

If the Turpins left the water on in that house and it got too cold, a pipe might have burst, flooding the house.

Or a water heater might have rusted out.

Or you could have a leaky roof.

Or (and this has happened to me), if a toilet gets flushed and the water doesn't cut off because of a faulty fill valve or unsealed flapper in the tank, and then the septic tank fills up, the water will overflow the toilet (fresh water, not backed up sewage), and it will flood. The Rio Vista house certainly would be on a septic tank.

I mentioned this last one had happened to me. One of my kids used the restroom just before we left the house for a meeting. We came back a couple of hours later, and there was more than an inch of water in the bathroom and one of the adjacent bedrooms. We had to mop and wet-vac up the water, then we pulled up carpet, removed baseboards, and cut a foot off the sheetrock near the floor. It was a real mess. If we had been on city sewer, this would not have happened, because the water would have kept going down the toilet drain instead of filling up the septic tank.

All of this is not to excuse the Turpin's general nastiness, but if the house indeed flooded, there could be several causes.

I personally cringe when I hear the term "cootie kid". It's so awful and marginalizing and not a label or term they should be identified with. It's so hurtful. I understood the sentiment in the original post from the classmate, but felt while attempting to be compassionate, it was tone deaf to the importance of language, healing, and dignity. ("Cootie Kid").

They were not cootie kids, they were tortured, abused, and failed by their parents and society. That should not be minimized or upheld through language.

From victim to survivor is a term that I have always upheld. Language is so important. It shapes the way we think.

Maybe "From victims to survivors, to leaders"

Or... the "The Strongest 13".

Something that focuses on their humanity, dignity, strength, and resilience.

I love that you want to help.

While for a good cause, I understand, still...No one, should be referred to as a “cootie kid”, I saw that post, and I found it very disturbing...on the one hand trying to be kind, yet still labeling someone who has been the survivor of such horrors most of us have never seen, as a “cootie kid”....*sheesh*..

While the “Conquer the World” is great, the other is just (imho) waaay over the line and a slap in the face...and I personally think that it would likely be traumatic for a child even if now an adult who has suffered & survived what they have, to have to see “cootie kid” on shirts everywhere they look...I mean, doesn’t it seem like that would cause emotional or psychological flash backs maybe to their getting picked on by an entire class or school of children? The shame and humiliation, etc...(imho) just not a good thing...

However, cool idea, just think perhaps..two positives or a positive...these individuals have had enough negatives for multiple lifetimes...they shouldn’t be forced to have negative terms labeling them still..*shrugs*...

All of the above is just and only my own humble opinions, views, perspectives, Big Fish Tales, and personal takes; unless otherwise indicated by a website URL link and/or my referencing a specific outside source.

Yes, I totally agree. I almost hope that the daughter never reads that post. I know the writer meant well but it's humiliating as well.
JMO

I wouldn't be surprised if LT's defense isn't one of "I was afraid if I didn't do what he (DT) said, he might hurt me too." That is, if and when she figures out she is in a WHOLE lot of trouble. It's interesting she has more charges than David. Even so, you would assume he will serve more time with the additional "lewd" act charge. So much left to hear though.

I believe that he is just as much to blame as she.

I agree. But I also see a control freak in Louise. In one of the Elvis weddings, when she & the girls were dancing, she had some weird body language going on. She would turn her head towards them like "Imitate my moves & don't you ruin this for me. I'm watching you. Are you following along ?" The looks she shot to two of the girls when they were not waving their arms creeped me out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izzy&Bella