CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

With regard to the article mentioning sister E visiting the family in Brea (with 4 kids in the family at the time)...there is a (1994-6) address on public record for a DT in Whittier, and a subsequent Whittier address under that name for 1997-2000 (though they had more kids at that point). Whittier is in L.A. County just 5 miles west of Brea, so perhaps the Brea reference was to a temporary home in Whittier. (They were reportedly living in the Fort Worth area during those same years.) The first address is an especially modest home, possibly a rental.

Since the kids were all born in Tarrant County, TX (with the exception of the 1st), I'm getting the idea that these 1990s CA addresses may have been temporary rental stays while DT worked on a CA project for Lockheed. If so, it might explain where the money went.

My new gas range came with an anti-tip device, some kind of angle iron bracket that attached to the bottom front of the range that would stop it from tipping if someone leaned/climbed on the open door.

I have lived in Northen California most of my life and never seen or heard of stoves or fridges being chained to the wall. Water heaters, yes (strapped to wall, not chained), but not fridges or stoves. Even if they needed to be, straps would be used, not chains which collect grime. Maybe in a steampunk house they would use chains, lol.

I think it's too soon for that, unless the Ts have asked friends/family/property management company to do that (unlikely, IMO). Remember that legally they are still innocent until proven guilty, and the house is their property. Of course it's also a crime scene, and that probably takes precedence. I guess if it was declared a public health hazard they would have to do something though.

The power company would shut off power after a while of no payment but I would expect that to take a few months. IMO of course.

And not that they would, but if the adult children demanded to go home or elsewhere, I don't think they can legally stop them. I wonder if their lease is up this month. I wonder if the adult children are on the lease - in Texas (TAA lease), all residents over 18 have to apply (background) and be listed as an occupant.

How could the walls not be submerged for a time? And the stuff inside the sheetrock when it gets wet, crumbles.

I have no experience with flooding , but I have experience with getting sheetrock wet. It is junk if it gets wet. There is special sheetrock made for bathrooms . I forget what it is called which does not have the same issues. Would people in follod plains be required to have homes with that kind of sheetrock?
Lots of time water only comes to the thresholds, people sandbag to try to keep it out of the house, or if it comes inside it may flood the floor, ruin the carpet but not extend up the walls. It's still a mess and as another poster commented can fill your air ducts or cause the septic system to back up. I reviewed the floodplain map and although part of the property may be in the floodplain it looks to me pretty clearly the house was not. I also think the neighbor would have remembered if the home flooded and would have taken it into consideration as they saw the mess they left behind. Certainly the roof leaked and it had moisture problems. It's yucky to say but it's possible when the house was "cleaned" either by the mortgage company or by the Baldwin's that they removed the visible mold by tearing moldy paper off the drywall instead of replacing it, at least before it was sold as-is. Perhaps they made further repairs to eradicate mold after they purchased and repaired the roof. There really would have been no reason to remove all the drywall and replace correctly while the roof was still in disrepair.

And not that they would, but if the adult children demanded to go home or elsewhere, I don't think they can legally stop them. I wonder if their lease is up this month. I wonder if the adult children are on the lease - in Texas (TAA lease), all residents over 18 have to apply (background) and be listed as an occupant.

I thought they own this home? (but paying a mortgage, I assume, so it will be foreclosed shortly after the payments stop...)

Yes, if for some reason they actually wanted to live there, it would probably be a legal option (or say if it was a 12-bedroom house that was uniquely suited for them... but even so the health hazard and horrible memories would probably keep that a very bad idea...)

They own the home, not leased. Would the T' s give their attorneys the power to access their bank accounts to pay the mortgage and utilities before their trial or even using the help of attorneys would they be able to sell the house? I'm sure the attorneys representing the kids would prevent them from returning to the home. Since it is owned by their parents, the no contact order would apply and prevent it. I remember seeing that a prosecutor mentioned the no contact was for everyone's interest and even to prevent the kids from visiting their parents in jail.

We never chained it shut, but when my middle daughter was two, she would open the door and climb the shelves. We put a fake rubber spider on the handle but in a few days she no longer cared.

I cannot remember what stopped her, but she would climb bookshelves, too. Funny sne did not grow up to be a mountainclimbet.

BTW, chaining a frig is nuts. But maybe you think a spider is nuts.

I read in one article that the T kids had one, scheduled, meal per day. I didn't read that they chained the fridge (I'd think that would be difficult, but did have a lock on the fridge). Not that I'm making excuses for them, but, I could see it if a child is on a special diet, or one had to keep medicines refrigerated, and out of reach of children. There's safety locks, for fridges, and other appliances, that can be purchased at WalMart.

My parents did lock the freezer after it started to age, and we locked ours too when our kids were young. They have the locks made into the doors, with keys, that came with the freezer. A lot of meat was kept in there, for one thing, and if the door isn't closed and sealed well, that's a lot of money down the drain. There was also a big scare back in that era about kids playing hide and seek, and hiding in an old freezer, and not being able to get out, or found in time. It wasn't a far leap for parents to think a kid might try to dig something out and fall into a working one, or think about crawling in for a minute, just because. I had a kitten get in our fridge. Snuck in while I was taking things out and putting them on the counter. Couldn't figure out where the meowing was coming from, searched all over. Went to get a pop and there was the kitten!

I have the exact same chain attached to my free standing stove which was installed by professionals but not my fridge. I live in Australia, no earthquakes at my location.

However the chain on my stove is not as long as the one in the Turpin household. It seems a bit long to keep the fridge upright.
I goggled Refrigerator Chains and was surprised to see so many listings for people who chain and padlock their frig. In addition there are nice refrigerator locks sold by Amazon for people who want to keep them locked.

I thought the Turpins owned their current house... It's a lease?

I wondered the same about the adults. What are their rights? Are they legally free to go wherever they want? And, the other thing I wonder is while the parents have a restraining order, would that stop them from contacting relatives who would in turn try to pass messages along to the children? I would hope relatives would take a step back in the interest of their nieces and nephews for their wellbeing.

There were adult people and teens being abused in this case. Most adults and quite a few teens can fix their own food as well as food for others. Except if they can't get to any food.

Maybe LT can't cook. Look at all the older kids she has. Trust me, one of them would have learned to cook if allowed near the food if that is what it took to get enough to eat. Well, IMO, anyway.

Even if LT couldn't cook a "meal", my seven year old can open a poptart, fix peanut butter and crackers, a grilled cheese, or pour a bowl of cereal, and can open her own drink, I'm sure, or get a glass of water. Those things will at least keep you going. No excuse for LT to not fix for the little ones and no excuse for not teaching the older ones to fix sandwiches. She just didn't. That would have made them somewhat independent.

One neighbor in Rio Vista recounted how "everything had locks on it". (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...home-littered-faeces-had-makeshift-classroom/) Not only the fridge but also closets and (toy) boxes. The theory that the Turpins locked the fridge because of food- or medicine-related issues doesn't make sense. If they locked things that can be locked, just because....that points to another motivation. I would guess it was about control. Even if we tried to think about a benign reason for this, what could possibly justify locking things that are lockable?

Does anyone have the full 2015 vow renewal video saved?

With regard to the article mentioning sister E visiting the family in Brea (with 4 kids in the family at the time)...there is a (1994-6) address on public record for a DT in Whittier, and a subsequent Whittier address under that name for 1997-2000 (though they had more kids at that point). Whittier is in L.A. County just 5 miles west of Brea, so perhaps the Brea reference was to a temporary home in Whittier. (They were reportedly living in the Fort Worth area during those same years.) The first address is an especially modest home, possibly a rental.

Since the kids were all born in Tarrant County, TX (with the exception of the 1st), I'm getting the idea that these 1990s CA addresses may have been temporary rental stays while DT worked on a CA project for Lockheed. If so, it might explain where the money went.

BBM

If he was on a temporary assignment from Lockheed, the company would have reimbursed housing and food costs.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

For now, the County controls where they live. The adult children are going to be moving into a supervised living facility so they can learn the life skills needed to live more independently. It has been heart-warming to see the tremendous outpouring of support by that community.

Yeah, I'm almost positive Jaycee & her kids were not chained. They were certainly limited to their living area in the backyard but they weren't restrained.

I'm sure we'd know if Prader-Willi was a factor. I'm certain it's not. Good point tho. I too am really into speculating about what the heck the defense will pull outta their butts for this case!

Parents may lock up food or hide food if someone in the household has bulimia or binge eating disorder/compulsive overeating. I've experienced this myself firsthand. Obviously w/ 13 kids that can't be their excuse. Like, it's impossible that all 13 have Prader-Willi or another eating or feeding disorder. And feeding disorders include such things as nocturnal eating/sleepwalk-eating; extreme picky eating; rumination syndrome .. and even a lot of functional GI disorders such as GERD, IBS & IBDs can cause "phantom" hunger and malabsorption that can contribute to strange eating patterns (I live this myself every day of my life). Again, defense is outta luck 'cause not ALL 13 kids can possibly have such a condition (insert huge eye roll here).

Lauren Kavanaugh's mother successfully duped her relatives & her other children into believing Lauren had a compulsive-overeating-type eating disorder, saying that was why she was excluded from meals & locked out of cupboards. Indeed, the little girl DID compulsively eat anything she could get her hands on, bc of her prolonged starvation/malnutrition...so of course this only served to bolster the mom's original excuse, so everyone believed it. How messed up is that?!

Back to the Ts: I felt a teeny tiny bit of sympathy when ppl were speculating upthread that sheer lack of resources/finances may have started the spiral of food deprivation...but if the parents were eating out that often (Taco Bell every day?!) that's just crappy financial planning & meal planning on their part. Anyone who's ever been on a budget knows how to clip coupons and just boil up a ton of pasta for the week to really stretch their food dollar. Sure, the kids' diet wouldn't have been that "healthy" but at least calories would be going in more than once a day. It takes a LOT of planning & organization to feed a family of 15, plus 2 dogs. Mama Turpin is lazy or just doesn't care enough. Sad. Managing a big family is a job in itself, no doubt about it...but that's what you get when you choose to have that many children. I was raised LDS and I grew up knowing several families with 8 or more kids. It's tough but it can be done.

I agree. Now the question is what horrible deep dark secret were DT and LT hiding that they felt they had to hold their kids, even the adults, captive. The reason I mention Jaycee is that the two daughters of Jaycee were always told Jaycee was the older sister and that the Garridos were both their parents. Jaycee was rescued when she was 29 and I believe the kids were 15 and 11 (or something like that). I hope in the Turpin household that they do DNA tests to get to the bottom of this. Also, I saw an interview that at one point the sister said Louise would not even Skype with the kids after a certain point. What were they trying to hide?

Are the chains as long as are pictured in the rio vista house? I'm trying to get my mind around how that would work. Perhaps it is more common to anchor your fridge to the wall in earthquake prone areas?

I live in California and those chains are not earthquake straps. Current building codes require that a metal anchor be put in the wall with a metal strap to anchor the water heater to the wall. Those chains are definitely not earthquake straps.

Agree... Pasta, rice, beans, potatoes, oatmeal, cabbage, powdered milk... lack of finances is no excuse for starving your family.

Jaycee... I'm pretty sure she and her children lived in the house after the first few years.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

He made almost $200,000 and I imagine he kept a lot of it because he had so many dependents which would lower his liabilty tremendously. He could claim the adults as he provided all of their expenses. Luckily, one meal a day of vienna suasages is pretty cheap

Even if LT couldn't cook a "meal", my seven year old can open a poptart, fix peanut butter and crackers, a grilled cheese, or pour a bowl of cereal, and can open her own drink, I'm sure, or get a glass of water. Those things will at least keep you going. No excuse for LT to not fix for the little ones and no excuse for not teaching the older ones to fix sandwiches. She just didn't. That would have made them somewhat independent.

I am not trying to excuse her as I am aware of the options you mentioned. What I mean is if she would not do it, from what has been said, AND no one else could (from what has been said).

No one can open a pop tart if they're still at the store. No one can make a bowl of cereal if the milk and cereal are locked away.

In some neglect cases, the victims were young children who couldn't reach things on their own. In this case, they were older yet seem to have been prevented.

For now, the County controls where they live. The adult children are going to be moving into a supervised living facility so they can learn the life skills needed to live more independently. It has been heart-warming to see the tremendous outpouring of support by that community.

Can the county force them to live in a certain location, though? If the adults want to leave, can they? If one or more of the adults tries to leave, can the county go pick them up and restrain them? IDK

I agree. Now the question is what horrible deep dark secret were DT and LT hiding that they felt they had to hold their kids, even the adults, captive. The reason I mention Jaycee is that the two daughters of Jaycee were always told Jaycee was the older sister and that the Garridos were both their parents. Jaycee was rescued when she was 29 and I believe the kids were 15 and 11 (or something like that). I hope in the Turpin household that they do DNA tests to get to the bottom of this. Also, I saw an interview that at one point the sister said Louise would not even Skype with the kids after a certain point. What were they trying to hide?

She may have wanted to hide the filth, the undernourished kids plus Louise had no way to control what the kids said.

One neighbor in Rio Vista recounted how "everything had locks on it". (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...home-littered-faeces-had-makeshift-classroom/) Not only the fridge but also closets and (toy) boxes. The theory that the Turpins locked the fridge because of food- or medicine-related issues doesn't make sense. If they locked things that can be locked, just because....that points to another motivation. I would guess it was about control. Even if we tried to think about a benign reason for this, what could possibly justify locking things that are lockable?
Control (from People article):
"They were really strict on the oldest daughter,” Flores said. “She was bound to her room a lot and they would let her come down and eat meals. Before she sat down, she had to get permission and she knew she had to look her mom in the eye and there would be a smile between them and she’d tell her, ‘Go ahead.'”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
haizljnes01