Found Deceased CA - Audrey Moran, 26, & Jonathan Reynoso, 28, Riverside County, 10 May 2017 #2 *4 arrested*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought I read that he didn't have any cell service and was using wifi to use iMessage but I could be wrong. It's possible that the cell signal is weaker, depending on which way he was headed. It's pretty bare along the Salton Sea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OR he had a satellite phone!

If he did go to Brawley it had to be unplanned and spur of the moment. You wouldn't order a pizza to your home and then leave, you'd get food on the road. Right?

If he did go to Brawley it had to be unplanned and spur of the moment. You wouldn't order a pizza to your home and then leave, you'd get food on the road. Right?

Maybe not, if he was riding with someone that wasn't exactly a friend or more so on a mission to get somewhere he'd probably think to eat first. If he doesn't cook, ordering is fast and easy.

If it's a satellite phone, they haven't found it yet, it wasn't a prepaid burner. I don't claim to be Harvard scholar but even I know that much.

You previously mentioned a burner phone and you just mentioned satellite. From what it looks like, he had a plain iPhone and from what I've read, wifi only service. You like to keep things simple so let's keep them simple.

You previously mentioned a burner phone and you just mentioned satellite. From what it looks like, he had a plain iPhone and from what I've read, wifi only service. You like to keep things simple so let's keep them simple.

Some people have more than one phone. Simple.

If it's a satellite phone, they haven't found it yet, it wasn't a prepaid burner. I don't claim to be Harvard scholar but even I know that much.
ODC: I'm a total Luddite. What's the deal with a satellite phone? What's a prepaid burner? Please explain all this technology to an idiot. TIA

ETA: I had a boss who was so "important;" he had three mobile phones and his office landline. Drove me CRAZY!

ODC: I'm a total Luddite. What's the deal with a satellite phone? What's a prepaid burner? Please explain all this technology to an idiot. TIA

ETA: I had a boss who was so "important;" he had three mobile phones and his office landline. Drove me CRAZY!

A prepaid burner is a phone you get at a store that in theory can be used and thrown out without being traced. A satellite phone doesn't use cell towers, it uses satellites to get its signal so there is no pinging off of local cell towers.

I thought I read that he didn't have any cell service and was using wifi to use iMessage but I could be wrong. It's possible that the cell signal is weaker, depending on which way he was headed. It's pretty bare along the Salton Sea.

That has been suggested here, not in the media that I've seen.

I don't know but the whole Brawley thing is weird. But now that I think about it, it could be why he stopped responding to friends because he was trekking between Palm Desert and Brawley and didn't have good cell reception. Anyone know what it's like out that way?
He also only had wifi so no service period if not home or near hot spot. And there are some points even with a cell plan no service can connect while driving to there hppnd 2 me... him not responding must have been odd or have lasted for a while because the friends did say that they text the roommate asking about where Jonathan was I know I text my friends and they don't respond I don't necessarily text their roommate or sister bro and ask where they're at.. usually just wait until they respond or the next day so for them to get worried about it I feel like they may have to sense, know something was off something just wasn't right

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

Can someone please post the source that says he didn't have a cell phone plan and only used wifi? Also I think it's highly unlikely he had a satellite phone. They are expensive and what would be the purpose. As someone his age I can say it would make way more sense to have a phone with only wifi than a satellite phone. However I think the wifi only thing is a speculation that started here with no valid source.

I don't know if anyone has posted this:

A young couple missing in Joshua Tree since last Friday. Possible lost after a hiking trip. Joshua Tree is near the vicinity of Coachella Valley. Probably not related but interesting as they have a big search party looking for them in the desert
https://www.google.com/amp/ktla.com...ng-for-days-in-joshua-tree-national-park/amp/

Wow, had I known of this sooner I would have went out to help search. I know the park pretty well but I've never heard of the Maze Loop. Two things about Joshua Tree, 1, like a forest you can think you're walking in a straight but end up walking in circles. 2, you could be in shouting distance, or even talking distance and not hear anything because of the acoustics of the rocks and landscape. I really hope they are ok and will be found but it has been 4 days, now entering the 5th.

Is there a thread for this young couple, or could someone please start one?

I'm useless at these things.

Thanks so much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Moran told family members she was going to pick up Reynoso May 10 after he returned from a trip to Brawley with friends. Investigators, however, don't know if he was actually there, nor do they know where Moran picked him up after she was last seen at her sister's house in Coachella between 8 and 8:45 p.m., Marshall said.

The car, which was fueled and operating normally when found by police, did not show any obvious signs of foul play, but police are conducting a forensic investigation in case there's any evidence that can't be seen by the naked eye, Marshall said.

A bloodhound detected the couple's scents, but it ended about 20 yards west of the vehicle.

Police have not identified the friends Reynoso was believed to be traveling with from Imperial County. Family members in the Coachella Valley have been interviewed, as have Reynoso's friends in western Riverside County.

“No one's come up to us and said, yes, we were going to meet (them)," Marshall said.

Source:
http://www.desertsun.com/story/news/crime_courts/2017/05/16/audrey-moran-jonathan-reynoso/325359001/

Can someone please post the source that says he didn't have a cell phone plan and only used wifi? Also I think it's highly unlikely he had a satellite phone. They are expensive and what would be the purpose. As someone his age I can say it would make way more sense to have a phone with only wifi than a satellite phone. However I think the wifi only thing is a speculation that started here with no valid source.

There is no source for this. It was only a theory, that seemed plausible given the near radio-silence from LE regarding JDR's phone pings. It was never suggested that JDR had a "satellite" phone. Any phone can be turned into Wi-fi only. All it takes is an app. And there are a number of these apps. Google makes the most popular of these apps, I believe.

But again, there has never been a news article or report that states what kind of phone service JDR had. We just don't know.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/3-android-apps-for-wi-fi-calling-with-google-voice/

https://forums.androidcentral.com/a...w-send-free-text-messages-over-wifi-only.html

Hi, Gracie. I am VERY familiar with the location where Audrey's vehicle was left and I am not sure what you mean by protected from view. It's very open in this area. Perhaps I am misunderstanding what you mean.

In a previous post someone mentioned (possibly you) Moreno Valley. If someone was heading to Mo Val, as we call it, they had already passed the on ramp to the 60 by the time they reached Oak Valley Parkway. Taking the 60 from the 10 leads straight to MV. Continuing on the 10 would not. You would travel though some smaller sized cities (Calimesa, Yucaipa, Redlands) and then start to get into larger cities and eventually end up in LA.

Audrey's vehicle was parked just past the ramp leading from Oak Valley Parkway onto I-10 west. That particular exit has a hotel, gas station, sport bar, and several stores just a couple of hundred yards from where the vehicle was. There is constant heavy traffic in this area. I've driven through here hundreds of times at all times of day. Even in the middle of night you are rarely alone. This is a major corridor from the desert part of So Cal and Arizona to the LA area. Around morning rush hour I've gone as slow as 25 through this area because of the heavy traffic. Usually traffic flows around 75 mph, but when there are a lot of large trucks on the road and everyone is commuting to the LA area it gets backed up. It's an exit that I feel comfortable stopping at at night. It's well lit and there are always people around.

In the pic of AM's SUV the vehicle is parked up against an embankment (see below); are there other spots on this stretch of I-10 that have an embankment like this?

attachment.php

In regard to the hotel, gas station, etc., is this one of the few spots on that stretch where you can stop for gas and possibly find a room for the night? Or are there many spots like this in the Banning/Beaumont area? Is there anything about the spot where the SUV was parked that is unique to that exact location?

Attachments

• AM SUV.png
    AM SUV.png
    442.3 KB · Views: 195
What if Brawley is a CLUE?

Good point. Maybe it is.

This has been an interesting missing persons case in that there was a relatively large flow of information given at the start, and then a lot of contradictory info given right after. Now the information we are given has been reduced to a trickle at best.

It's very hard to know what info. can be relied on, at this point, which is why the spot where the SUV was abandoned seems like the best place to start, in terms of developing any kind of theory. Or better yet, a way to narrow focus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CAC6968