CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, Bullhead City, hiking wearing bikini in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has there been any mention of dementia or other impairment issues? She seems on the youngish side for dementia.

I can't help but think that if she has passed over, that going out in a bikini a hat and a beer in your hand definitely has some finesse. God Bless her. Against the odds, let's hope she turns up alive and with a fresh cold one in hand.

Amateur opinion and speculation
Great questions. Actually, I was wondering the same about him. Could he have possibly not remembered correctly the route they had taken? I’m really trying hard to give the benefit of the doubt here, but I’m grasping!

I’m not suspicious of the husband, not at this moment. I think when he talks, he just says what’s he’s thinking. I would be surprised if loved ones said different.

I also believe pages back, the relative mentioned that it was normal for her to hike in a bathing suit and boots. The comment made by the husband about what she was wearing, I think this was his worry on why she may stand out to someone with ill intentions. I don’t at all see him looking at his wife in a bad light.

He volunteered the info about LE telling him he was being deceptive. What was the question asked I wonder? This is interesting to me but not enough for me to find him suspicious. LE can also tell someone they failed a lie detector, as a tactic, if they didn’t, to see if they will confess to anything.

I don’t believe LE would continue to search for her, where they are, for show. They are not going to risk lives for effect.

All my opinion.

What did you think guys of his interview?
I can't imagine her not being found in the desert if she were there and I can't see someone snagging her on the roadside either unless it had been planned prior. He's admitting the police told him his polygraph results showed deception but he does not talk about her in the past tense.
I thought he was lying because he kept covering his mouth with his hand, tripped over his words (especially about when she went around a corner and he never saw her again after that) and looked ashamed or embarrassed to me. As upsetting to him as this must be to lose his wife in the desert during the lark of a roadside hike in 90 degree desert heat, the fact that he already jumped in to tell MSM about his own alternate theory about her getting snatched and taken to Las Vegas (because she was wearing a bikini, had a beer, and went near a road?) it was all too much 'at the ready' and farfetched for my hinky meter to not go off, IMO. Time will tell, as LE makes progress with the search for BT.

Please don’t let it be him. Please don’t let it be him.

I feel the same way! And I will be shocked if it is.

What did you think guys of his interview?
I can't imagine her not being found in the desert if she were there and I can't see someone snagging her on the roadside either unless it had been planned prior. He's admitting the police told him his polygraph results showed deception but he does not talk about her in the past tense.

I haven’t seen video of the latest interview with Inside Edition, but his earlier interview seemed genuinely heartbroken and befuddled. Reading the Inside Edition interview is somewhat concerning because of bringing up the polygraph and calling himself a suspect. But, I’ve also seen us be very suspicious of husbands because of how they spoke and it turned out to be someone else after all.

On the other hand, Charles “Chase” Merritt stated he was the last one to see his friend Joey McStay and that his polygraph was inconclusive. He spoke disrespectfully about Summer McStay after she was found dead. He was just sentenced to death for murdering the family of four.

But I don’t see the same thing in RT. My dh and I are in his generation, and I see a stressed out, grief stricken senior citizen. My dh would act the same way. I didn’t take it that he was victim-blaming if his wife got abducted wearing a bikini carrying a beer. I felt he was saying she is attractive and it wouldn’t surprise him if she was abducted. The family of Sheryl Powell, a camper who disappeared and was found further north, were convinced she’d been abducted. They were partly right (she escaped, hid and got lost). So stuff happens.

Bottom line, I see no reason to suspect the husband who is considered a victim at this point. Here’s hoping it stays that way and that Barbara is found alive (not too optimistic about that sadly).

JMO

Husband of Woman Who Vanished During Mojave Desert Hike: 'I Just Want Her Back'

Man. I don't know what to make of this video interview here.

RT tells the reporter LE considers him "the prime suspect."

LE hasn't even said that a crime has been committed.

He tells the reporter that LE told him his polygraph results showed deception.

He then immediately follows that up by saying that he knows polygraphs aren't reliable and that he hadn't slept the night before.

His emotional distress certainly appears genuine.
Having said that, there are a lot of possible explanations for his being distraught.
He might, for example, know for a fact that she's never coming back.

I don't doubt that he wishes that BT could, "Come home."
I believe he misses her.
That doesn't mean he can't be responsible for the fact that she's missing.
The 2 aren't mutually exclusive.

A lot of people do bad things that they regret afterward.

Not everyone who commits crimes is devoid of a conscience.
We may be seeing remorse combined with grief in that video.

Not saying he's involved in her disappearance or caused it, but it definitely can't be ruled out until LE rules it out.

I don't know.
This is a weird case that's getting weirder by the minute.

JMO.

Last edited:
I've been keeping up everyday. I've so wanted to see good news, but at this point I don't think we will have that. I hiked in the desert too, and it sure can be disorienting. I don't know what to think. I have considered a few options but they really seem so out there and don't make sense. On one occasion my partner and I were warned by another hiker to start heading back, because the javelinas might come out from wherever....but that was close to dusk. I can't really see a mountain lion either, for the lack of evidence...screams, drag marks etc. Sinkholes? I don't know if those exist in the dry Mojave. Abduction? seems farfetched. And no beer can or cap left behind. Husband? I don't know, he comes across sincere and genuinely frightened. Very strange....stranger than Paul Miller's case.

Last edited:
Great questions. Actually, I was wondering the same about him. Could he have possibly not remembered correctly the route they had taken? I’m really trying hard to give the benefit of the doubt here, but I’m grasping!
Even if HE has dementia, she is still no where to be found. No hat, no beer can, no footprints, no scent from dogs, no visual sightings. Either she was taken by a stranger, or hubby is involved somehow with her location elsewhere. Jmo.

Man. I don't know what to make of this video interview here.

RT tells the reporter LE considers him "the prime suspect."

LE hasn't even said that a crime has been committed.

He tells the reporter that LE told him his polygraph results showed deception.

He then immediately follows that up by saying that he knows polygraphs aren't reliable and that he hadn't slept the night before.

His emotional distress certainly appears genuine.
Having said that, there are a lot of possible explanations for his being distraught.
He might, for example, know for a fact that she's never coming back.

I don't doubt that he wishes that BT could, "Come home."
I believe he misses her.
That doesn't mean he can't be responsible for the fact that she's missing.
The 2 aren't mutually exclusive.

A lot of people do bad things that they regret afterward.
We may be seeing remorse combined with grief in that video.

Not saying he's involved in her disappearance or caused it, but it definitely can't be ruled out until LE rules it out.

I don't know. This is just a weird case that's getting weirder by the minute.

JMO.
Great post (as usual GK) the fact that he says he is the prime suspect and has taken a polygraph tells me that LE is definitely doing more than just searching the desert. I really don’t know what to think at this point. I mean has there been any MSM with friends or family speaking out that I may have missed?

Just because she is wearing a bikini and drinking a beer doesnt mean she is a good time Gussy!

I feel like this is what her husband is suggesting is the reason she was picked up and hauled off to Las Vegas.

Drinking beer seems an odd thing to be doing during a 2 mile hike.
I’m thinking it sounds like trying to plant a happy scene.

Have they used dogs at all to track Barbara?

I'm not sure how effective dogs would be in that heat. They certainly wouldn't be able to work long. Dogs need to keep their mouths closed in order to use their noses. I just can't imagine that they would be useful in tracking when they would be panting like crazy.

This is a hard SAR mission for sure. It's putting a great deal of pressure on everybody in really adverse conditions.

Barbara WHERE ARE YOU?

Great post (as usual GK) the fact that he says he is the prime suspect and has taken a polygraph tells me that LE is definitely doing more than just searching the desert. I really don’t know what to think at this point. I mean has there been any MSM with friends or family speaking out that I may have missed?
On the Inside Edition interview, IIRC Barbara's stepdaughter spoke for a moment from her car.

Barbara's stepdaughter makes a few brief comments in the video at this link, about 1:20 in:

A mine shaft in that area is a definite possibility....wouldn’t be the first time. :(

Woman's body found in Mojave Desert mine shaft
Welcome to Websleuths, jamisspears. Thank you for the link. :)

Have they used dogs at all to track Barbara?

I'm not sure how effective dogs would be in that heat. They certainly wouldn't be able to work long. Dogs need to keep their mouths closed in order to use their noses. I just can't imagine that they would be useful in tracking when they would be panting like crazy.

This is a hard SAR mission for sure. It's putting a great deal of pressure on everybody in really adverse conditions.

Barbara WHERE ARE YOU?
The stepdaughter said they used dogs.

If she was hiking and got lost... wearing a bikini wouldn't get her very far.
Odd attire to go walking in a desert area, but if she was used to it, I'd say to her : "You go, girl !". :D

Somewhat graphic :

Even wearing a hat and boots-- wouldn't her skin start to sunburn and thighs chafe and rub raw ?
Wouldn't bugs and maybe larger critters start smelling a human and go after her ?
So maybe someone did kidnap her. :(
She's probably not out walking anywhere out there, anymore.

So where is she ?

And why Vegas ? Did she have connections there, a past ?
Someone with a grudge ?
Imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members