CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, Bullhead City, hiking wearing bikini in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The only innocent explanation I can come up with is that maybe he thought she was in the camper and drove off without her by mistake and came back later when he noticed and she was gone. He could have been too embarrassed to tell LE because he doesn’t want people to think he is losing it. However, if that were the case, why wouldn’t she stay near the road to wait for help?

I want to know if there is any evidence she left on this weekend trip at all. Any photos? Did they stop anywhere for lunch?

Do they have a pool or hot tub at home?
This whole rendition sounds like a story a kid would make up.
I will be delighted if proven a cynic, and we have a happy outcome.

Amateur opinion and speculation

Leaving their home location, Needles would be within the first hour. You don't stop for fuel with that dually, you don't stop for food. That truck would be able to tow there and back without refueling while towing that trailer. You always have enough food and snacks for the entire trip, enough stored water for shower and toilet.

Then there's this. I totally agree. No woman goes voluntarily missing without packing a bag. MOO
Remember though, they weren't at home. She may have thought she could hitch a ride back home and then have access to all her things, including another vehicle, without RT being there. (assuming a hidden key or neighbor with a key etc)

Note: I do not think this is what happened. Just trying to be rigid with the logic of what's possible.

I've been thinking about the following speculative scenarios, which some have mentioned. These assume she was indeed there and that her husband did not kill her:

They go for a walk/short hike to look at rocks and take pictures. (While I personally wouldn't drink beer or wear a bikini top/bra/whatever on even a short hike in the desert, I gather that some people do that and don't think it's that odd.)

1. They have an argument and she storms off in the direction of the camper. Maybe she says "I'm going home!" When she gets to the road, a car happens to be going by, and on impulse, she hitches a ride out of there in the general direction of Vegas/Henderson/Bullhead City. There is foul play by the driver.

2. Similar scenario, but she gets lost or injured in the rocks, and her body just hasn't been found yet.

These scenarios would fit with some deceptiveness on the part of RT (not mentioning an argument), which may have been picked up by the polygraph, but would stop short of his having killed her. MOO.

Last edited:
I've been thinking about the following speculative scenarios, which some have mentioned. These assume she was indeed there and that her husband did not kill her:

They go for a walk/short hike to look at rocks and take pictures. (While I personally wouldn't drink beer or wear a bikini top/bra/whatever on even a short hike in the desert, I gather that some people do that and don't think it's that odd.)

1. They have an argument and she storms off in the direction of the camper. Maybe she says "I'm going home!" When she gets to the road, a car happens to be going by, and on impulse, she hitches a ride out of there in the general direction of Vegas. There is foul play by the driver.

2. Similar scenario, but she gets lost or injured in the rocks, and her body just hasn't been found yet.

These scenarios would fit with some deceptiveness on the part of RT (not mentioning an argument), which may have been picked up by the polygraph, but would stop short of his having killed her. MOO.
3. The two of them staged her disappearance for an unknown reason and did not expect all of this media attention.

Taking a look at her Bank Accounts might be handy. If she was planning on making a long term move in a couple days while visiting her brother there should be some money movement shown by her within the last month. Opening a new bank account, etc.
Would also like to know if flight was one way

But if it was an abduction wouldn't he have heard something out there in the middle of nowhere with no other noices?

Not necessarily. At least in my experience, sound in the wilderness can be masked by things between you and the sound source. If you're with a group of people hiking in a line, and trying to have a conversation with the person in front of you, it can be hard to hear them because they're facing the other way. (I'd think this was just me losing my hearing but others have said the same thing.) Also, the sound of the wind can mask other sounds.

That doesn't mean you can't hear things in the wilderness. Sometimes a small rustling sound nearby can be very clear and frightening -- "What was that?!" But sound in the wilderness, especially on a windy day, can be capricious. (I don't know whether it was windy.) MOO.

Only rest area I am able to find on I 40 between their home and the exit for Mojave is here and it's pretty far west of where they would have gotten off the highway.

Google Maps

If they fueled up for the trip and bought supplies (food, water, etc) it must have been done nearer to home and maybe even day(s) before they left. Any witness or surveillance of this would probably not prove anything unless they were on their way that morning. It's not too long of a drive for them from Bulhead City. All JMO

Then there's this. I totally agree. No woman goes voluntarily missing without packing a bag. MOO

I can see that but if someone really wants to go without alerting someone else and sees an opportunity and then seizes the moment, the person might think, “I can buy more face stuff later. Right now, I need to GO!”

If that were the case, perhaps she hid from him for a bit and then tried to find a ride or house, etc.
In that case, it could explain why he didn’t see her after such a short time. And maybe her plan to then later get away did not go as planned and she got lost or sick or something else.

I have no idea and all of this is MOO.

“They'd gone voluntarily missing.”

She was planning a trip out of the country in a couple days and that would have been the perfect opportunity to go voluntarily missing. A woman wouldn’t voluntarily go missing without taking her expensive hair and face products and vitamins, etc.
Was it confirmed that her ticket was bought and paid for?

Still no sign... not looking great

Abduction theory is odd. How would that even happen? A vehicle pulls up and pulls her in? Then drives off with her. Doesn’t sound plausible unless if it was at gunpoint maybe
Please know- I don't mean to sound heartless, and I know it can happen, but what are the chances that an elderly person gets kidnapped in that area, at that time of day?

Again, not saying it can't happen, but for what reason would someone want to take an old lady, even if she does look younger than her age? If someone did, in my opinion, it would be someone she knew.

Still no sign... not looking great

Abduction theory is odd. How would that even happen? A vehicle pulls up and pulls her in? Then drives off with her. Doesn’t sound plausible unless if it was at gunpoint maybe
RBBM. Suzanne Eaton was run down by a car, kidnapped, and murdered while out for a walk in the middle of the day. No witnesses. So it happens.

Is he repeating there what the husband is suggesting with the abduction theory? Or is that his own conclusion. I'm wondering about that.
I took it as an accusation. JMO

If she was wearing a sportsbra no one would be taking notice at all of this.

Meh
Mollie Tibbets was reported to be (likely) wearing a sports bra, and her case was widely publicized.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pey