CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. Thanks. Looks different than I'd imagined.
Easy to become lost.

Eta: What has not been shown is where RT took the photos and the actual path back to the RV.
Was it different-looking than this photo ?
Was it easier to navigate and flatter ?
I want to know where RT was standing and doing the photo-taking and the path in the sand/dirt she'd be walking on.

We don't know that (I wish we did). But, if you look at the trail from above, you can see there are a couple of spur trails on the way back from the rock formations (so not actually at those formations, but leading to some smaller formations in the creek bed). Presumably, if they were 5-10 minutes from their RV (per RT), that's where they parted. She would have had to be very very lost and completely turned around to head back to the main rock formations.

In fact, if we assume this is a normal couple who isn't trying to kill one another, it would have been a completely normal thing to do. No major hazards, almost no chance of venomous snakes, just the RV practically within sight of them, 5-10 minutes away. Scrub brush around them, a curve in the trail, but with the RV within easy reach.

Thing is, I don't trust anyone's estimation of time in situations like this. Did she wait by the RV for 30 minutes? If so, then of course he's worried about abduction (rare as it is).

How about a reporter from Victorville Or Mohave Valley Daily News?

Sorry on my phone quoted wrong post

This is a great idea! @10ofRods , you mentioned a Needles Community FB page that was discussing this case. Are you perhaps a member of this closed group and would be possible to inquire regarding any Needles reporters that would be good for the family to contact? Just a wild thought?

any word on search or arrest?

LE didn't go anywhere near RT's home, at all. They went back to the site of Barbara's disappearance. That is a good sign, as it means they think there's still more to be discovered or learned out there. Perhaps they have talked to RT some more (they got a search warrant for his house and vehicles, as I understand it). Maybe they are rechecking some details.

To make an arrest or even announce formally that he's a POI, they need to have all their ducks in a row.

Is there a find Barbara Thomas Facebook page? If not, some family member should create one and share it like crazy.

Positives are it could be shared here, increase exposure and comments and get the word out to people. Create it with a hashtag and use it everywhere.

How about a reporter from Victorville Or Mohave Valley Daily News?

Sorry on my phone quoted wrong post

Good idea. When we were working on Stephanie Warner’s thread in 2013, we contacted all TV and print media in the local area (as private citizens not WS members). One member had made a video about Stephanie which we distributed. This blitz resulted in more coverage and one local TV reporter took particular interest and kept the story going. She was the first to persuade a shy family member of Stephanie to be interviewed (not that Barbara’s family is reluctant).

A DIY approach can get results. Can someone here research and post contact links to San Bernardino County and Bullhead City area media? I’d volunteer, but I have things awaiting my attention. :) Perhaps Barbara’s son or another family member can do the outreach to the linked media.

Good idea. When we were working on Stephanie Warner’s thread in 2013, we contacted all TV and print media in the local area (as private citizens not WS members). One member had made a video about Stephanie which we distributed. This blitz resulted in more coverage and one local TV reporter took particular interest and kept the story going. She was the first to persuade a shy family member of Stephanie to be interviewed (not that Barbara’s family is reluctant).

A DIY approach can get results. Can someone here research and post contact links to San Bernardino County and Bullhead City area media? I’d volunteer, but I have things awaiting my attention. :) Perhaps Barbara’s son or another family member can do the outreach to the linked media.

Great ideas. Need to have a find page linked. A press release, comment on news stories from the places you want exposure as well as messaging them on Facebook and email to look into the case. Even possibly dateline?

My family was informed of her disappearance on July 16th. In informing my family Rob mentioned he had cancelled the flights. His family members later repeated that her flights had been cancelled when I tried to reach Robbie by phone.

In the first conversation he had with my family Robbie also said they should cancel the hotel reservations because "she's not gonna make it." endquote.

The source for last sighting is a neighbour's surveillance cam. I'm still waiting to see this footage, but I am trusting the source.
"She's not going to make it" :eek:

This is a great idea! @10ofRods , you mentioned a Needles Community FB page that was discussing this case. Are you perhaps a member of this closed group and would be possible to inquire regarding any Needles reporters that would be good for the family to contact? Just a wild thought?

No, I can't join because I don't live there. Its posts are public, but membership is private. This case is their main topic, of course.

From my understanding ..
Bikini Top ... She had on shorts socks and boots as well as a baseball cap..

If I am wrong please let me know.
Thanks

The shorts are unconfirmed. There was a MSM that mentioned shorts, but then, only a bikini after that. And in all of RT's interviews, he only mentions "bikini."

Black socks and hiking boots. No mention of a watch. Red cap. No mention of sunglasses, but it's possibly that sunglasses were still present (and, for all we know, some shorts - perhaps RT didn't realize he was giving a complete inventory when he spoke to InsideEdition or he was forgetful). Red baseball cap.

Victorville I think would be useless. The Victor Valley news often reports stories days after it happens. Not sure they even have live reporters anymore MOO. ;)

ETA: I mean the Victor Valley Daily Press.

I think they are now part of USA today, and therefore, no local reporters.

Here's the Needles FB Page: (Barbara's story is now way down on their page, I think):

WE'RE FROM NEEDLES, CALIFORNIA!

There is a FB page. PM me for details - there's a moderator (not me).

Thanks! I think what is being suggested is something like a public "Find Barbara Thomas" Facebook page, possibly maintained by Barbara's relatives, rather than something like a closed discussion page.

Though I will say that a Find Barbara Thomas Facebook page might be a lot of work for family members to moderate. Though a Facebook page might be helpful, I don't think it would be necessary to get reporters onto the case.

Are there databases about missing people which would let family members post basic info about her disappearance, photos, and some contact people?

Thanks! I think what is being suggested is something like a public "Find Barbara Thomas" Facebook page, possibly maintained by Barbara's relatives, rather than something like a closed discussion page.

Though I will say that such a page might be a lot of work for family members to moderate. Though a Facebook page might be helpful, I don't think it would be necessary to get reporters onto the case.

Are there databases about missing people which would let family members post basic info about her disappearance, photos, and some contact people?
NAMUS!

We don't know that (I wish we did). But, if you look at the trail from above, you can see there are a couple of spur trails on the way back from the rock formations (so not actually at those formations, but leading to some smaller formations in the creek bed). Presumably, if they were 5-10 minutes from their RV (per RT), that's where they parted. She would have had to be very very lost and completely turned around to head back to the main rock formations.

In fact, if we assume this is a normal couple who isn't trying to kill one another, it would have been a completely normal thing to do. No major hazards, almost no chance of venomous snakes, just the RV practically within sight of them, 5-10 minutes away. Scrub brush around them, a curve in the trail, but with the RV within easy reach.

Thing is, I don't trust anyone's estimation of time in situations like this. Did she wait by the RV for 30 minutes? If so, then of course he's worried about abduction (rare as it is).

I thought the husband had left a key to the RV under a rock?
If she returned to the RV wouldn't BT have used that key to go inside and cool off?

LaurieRaquel posted:“From what I understand, he searched for quite a while to even find her family members' phone numbers (I'm figuring since he had phones/computer confiscated).”

We’ve heard from our VI that his aunt has a landline phone, does LE take those, too, in cases like this?

In the days when we had a landline, phone numbers of frequently called persons were programmed in the phone for speed-dialing. Also, we kept a small telephone number/address book in which everyone’s info was handwritten down alphabetically on its pages.

I would think BT would have one of these by the landline phone that RT would have been able to find family phone numbers in. But, then again, it would be very plausible she didn’t keep it updated, so that numbers in there were not current.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member