Found Deceased CA - Blaze Bernstein, 19, Lake Forest, 2 Jan 2018 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Newbie here so bear with me. Regarding the phone, something could have happened to Blaze's phone over the holidays making it inoperable, and the family could easily have had an old phone lying around and said, "here, use this until we can get you another one." Thus, he was using a "relative's phone" (sister, mom, or dad's old phone), operable only by Wifi so they didn't have to add it to their cell service account. I'm a mom of two teens, and I can tell you that if my son lost or rendered inoperable his new $700 iPhone 8, I would not be rushing out to buy him another $700 phone, but instead would let him use his sister's old, cracked 5c or Dad's old 6 that are sitting around in a kitchen drawer and work perfectly fine over Wifi. He could add all his apps to these phones, log into those apps, and bam, business as usual (other than the no cell service issue). There have also been times when my son's phone wasn't working for some reason, and he was going out for the night, and I lent him my phone so he wasn't without one. Thus, again, "a relative's phone." No biggie to me.

Regarding the car, he could either have left his car at school or could be a non-driver. Many teens these days aren't in a rush to get their driver's license, especially if they are used to using Uber and don't necessarily need to be driving themselves around. So asking an old friend to pick him up doesn't seem that odd to me.

I wonder if this was a hookup gone awry. He makes plans to ride with this old friend to the park for a hookup (or runs across this old friend on Grindr and then continues the discussion on Snapchat), then something awkward or bad happens in or near the restroom at the park, and he takes off and something terrible happens in the wilderness area. That of course doesn't account for the third person he was planning to meet there, though.

My gut says this wasn't a drug transaction, although that was my initial thought. Is it possible, though, that Blaze didn't intend to leave his wallet behind and the fact that he didn't have his wallet (and therefore couldn't pay for something he intended to buy) could have angered the third person (or the HS buddy), leading to foul play?

Quoting my own post to add, does anyone find it strange that OCSD finds it necessary to say that they have no suspect in custody? Did they just admit that they think foul play has occurred?
I noticed that. I also noticed in the most recent release, LE gave all the generic facts, as always, and at the very end, referenced the driver, like, "The friend has been very helpful. The friend is NOT a suspect or person of concern."

I could see him reassuring the friend in a super-amiable way while he's got an army of people behind him combing through everything they can find on this kid. -- It was so obvious to me that I kind of laughed. I hope they turn up the heat very, very, very soon.

Before leaving home, Bernstein had been in lengthy communication with his friend using social media apps that do not leave a permanent record

Bernstein was last seen late Tuesday at Borrego Park near Whiting Ranch Wilderness Park, where he had gone to meet a friend.

“The friend told investigators that he went to the restroom, and when he came out Blaze had walked off. We do not believe foul play was involved at this point, and the friend is only a witness, not a suspect or person of concern.”

“We have a search-and-rescue team of 25 deputies and canine units fanning out across the area today in search of clues."

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-oc-missing-student-20180106-story.html
Ok, why do they think he's in the wilderness area? Just a logical conclusion?
And there is a park and an overlook park according to the map - the articles I read said it was behind the library so it was the park. But if the friends was in the bathroom when he disappeared who's to say he didn't walk down the street?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I hope and pray they find him safe, any news yet on who the person was in that car found in L.A. forest ??

Hi! So glad I found this forum. I've posted this in a FB group, so I'll post it here too, to try to sum up what can be known based on information released to the public + my personal theory.
There are a few things which just doesn't make sense:
1. A friend not knowing the address. I've read that this friend was a high school friend of his, which means they probably hung out, spent time together, so it's kinda odd that he had to text his address.
2. Friend picks him up, they go to the park where I've read two different stories about what happened:
- they arrived at the park and Blaze went into the park towards the wilderness area, while his friend was watching him
- they arrived at the park and at one point his friend went to use the park's restroom. When the friend gets back to the car, Blaze disappears
3. In both cases mentioned above, the friend waits for him in the car. Friend tries to text him, but no answer from Blaze.
4. Friend leaves and returns at around 4 AM (5 hours later) to see if Blaze is still there.
Additional information: location of his phone goes off at around 11:30 PM and then after that his phone battery dies or his phone is turned off or destroyed.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My personal theory: friend holds the key. Blaze, based on this writings, is a very smart, well educated guy. I'm sure he knew is not a good idea to meet up with someone in a dark place, in the wild in the middle of the night, unless he trusted that person. Even then, there are a LOT of illuminated parking lots around: shopping centers, library, McDonald's, gas station, so why would he go in the wilderness to meet someone? It just doesn't fit his cultural profile. Did he have something to hide? He seems to come from a very loving and understanding family. His dad seems very open-minded. He had a great life ahead of him, new apartment, great school and so on. He was anti-drugs and anti-alcohol, he didn't seem to be a party animal like most of the teens at his age. So, this meeting up at the park in the middle of night just seems too odd from someone like him, unless he was lured/baited there with some reason. The behavior of the friend is questionable. Maybe my definition of friendship is different, but if I see my friend missing without a sign, I call the police or his parents. It wasn't like he went into a restaurant, he went into a dark park in the middle of the night, even his phone went off. His friend didn't even bother to find out if he got home safe the next day, which just adds to the questionable behavior of the friend. I think they were not at the park. Search dogs didn't find anything at the park. As far as I know, the police, rescue teams didn't find any evidence of him being at the park. No clothes, no shoes, no nothing. My theory is that the friend who says the park story knows what happened to Blaze.

A lot of possibilities actually.

1. Friend did something terrible alone or with others.
2. Kid met a predator and was harmed. (That has happened on a few occasions via dating apps).
3. Someone kidnapped him for money. (My least favorite option because you see so few of those cases).
4. Kid suffered a mental health break and took off.
5. Kid decided to take off on his own because he was stressed and ran away.

The last two options are actually common in disappearances of young men. There are so many. I recall right before I started law school a young man who was supposed to enter with my cohort, suddenly disappeared. His car was found off the 55 freeway in Costa Mesa but he was no where to be seen. Foul play was suspected.

He surfaced a couple weeks later in Vegas, saying he was super stressed about starting law school. He had shown zero signs of stress prior to that. It kind of shook me making me think, "What the hell am I getting into with law school that it's so scary someone just disappears rather than attending?"

In any event, so much is going on at that age - stressors due to college or work, social issues due to social media, social pressures, etc, (I am thinking about a young, very successful seeming young runner who jumped off a carport at her college. No one would have ever known how troubled she actually was. She never adjusted to college.), the emergence of mental health issues, dealing with sex and dating and intimate relationships, leaving the family nest, becoming an adult, dealing with changing friendships, trying to figure out the character of people around you, etc.

So much could have happened.

Quoting my own post to add, does anyone find it strange that OCSD finds it necessary to say that they have no suspect in custody? Did they just admit that they think foul play has occurred?

Yes, this is why I believe they are investigating the friend as a suspect if there are inconsistencies it is a big red flag. I believe an arrest is just a matter of time.

A lot of possibilities actually.

1. Friend did something terrible alone or with others.
2. Kid met a predator and was harmed. (That has happened on a few occasions via dating apps).
3. Someone kidnapped him for money. (My least favorite option because you see so few of those cases).
4. Kid suffered a mental health break and took off.
5. Kid decided to take off on his own because he was stressed and ran away.

The last two options are actually common in disappearances of young men. There are so many. I recall right before I started law school a young man who was supposed to enter with my cohort, suddenly disappeared. His car was found off the 55 freeway in Costa Mesa but he was no where to be seen. Foul play was suspected.

He surfaced a couple weeks later in Vegas, saying he was super stressed about starting law school. He had shown zero signs of stress prior to that. It kind of shook me making me think, "What the hell am I getting into with law school that it's so scary someone just disappears rather than attending?"

In any event, so much is going on at that age - stressors due to college or work, social issues due to social media, social pressures, etc, (I am thinking about a young, very successful seeming young runner who jumped off a carport at her college. No one would have ever known how troubled she actually was. She never adjusted to college.), the emergence of mental health issues, dealing with sex and dating and intimate relationships, leaving the family nest, becoming an adult, dealing with changing friendships, trying to figure out the character of people around you, etc.

So much could have happened.

Hi Gitana I don't even think it was a friend. I'm thinking more along the lines of a Grindr hookup. Blaze had to give him his address. The word friend is used very loosely these days.

Hi! So glad I found this forum. I've posted this in a FB group, so I'll post it here too, to try to sum up what can be known based on information released to the public + my personal theory.
1. A friend not knowing the address. I've read that this friend was a high school friend of his, which means they probably hung out, spent time together, so it's kinda odd that he had to text his address.
2. Friend picks him up, they go to the park where I've read two different stories about what happened:
- they arrived at the park and Blaze went into the park towards the wilderness area, while his friend was watching him
- they arrived at the park and at one point his friend went to use the park's restroom. When the friend gets back to the car, Blaze disappears
3. In both cases mentioned above, the friend waits for him in the car. Friend tries to text him, but no answer from Blaze.
4. Friend leaves and returns at around 4 AM (5 hours later) to see if Blaze is still there.
Additional information: location of his phone goes off at around 11:30 PM and then after that his phone battery dies or his phone is turned off or destroyed.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My personal theory: friend holds the key. Blaze, based on this writings, is a very smart, well educated guy. I'm sure he knew is not a good idea to meet up with someone in a dark place, in the wild in the middle of the night, unless he trusted that person. Even then, there are a LOT of illuminated parking lots around: shopping centers, library, McDonald's, gas station, so why would he go in the wilderness to meet someone? It just doesn't fit his cultural profile. Did he have something to hide? He seems to come from a very loving and understanding family. His dad seems very open-minded. He had a great life ahead of him, new apartment, great school and so on. He was anti-drugs and anti-alcohol, he didn't seem to be a party animal like most of the teens at his age. So, this meeting up at the park in the middle of night just seems too odd from someone like him, unless he was lured/baited there with some reason. The behavior of the friend is questionable. Maybe my definition of friendship is different, but if I see my friend missing without a sign, I call the police or his parents. It wasn't like he went into a restaurant, he went into a dark park in the middle of the night, even his phone went off. His friend didn't even bother to find out if he got home safe the next day, which just adds to the questionable behavior of the friend. I think they were not at the park. Search dogs didn't find anything at the park. As far as I know, the police, rescue teams didn't find any evidence of him being at the park. No clothes, no shoes, no nothing. My theory is that the friend who says the park story knows what happened to Blaze.
Fantastic first post, GlowingShadow.

The two versions of what happened at the park...Are these two different versions as reported by the media, or two different versions offered at different times by the same person (driver)?

Regarding him texting his friend his parent's address, I don't find it odd. I may remember where a friend lives but need their physical address to put into my Waze (or similar) app for directions on exactly how to get to their house if driving or they may have been friend's who had never been to each other's house. That part of his friend's story doesn't strike me as necessarily odd.

Meeting at parks and dark areas has been a part of gay culture for decades. It arose out of necessity but has continued due to culture.

http://www.cruisinggays.com/santa-ana/c/areas/

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2016/dec/29/cruising-gay-culture-2016

http://www.cruisinggays.com/irvine/c/areas/

Although I don;t know what his sexuality is and I don;t think Borrego park or Whiting ranch are cruising areas. But I wanted to point out how a young, smart man might meet someone in a dark place at night.

there are usually nuggets of truth in the lies folks tell...

Regarding him texting his friend his parent's address, I don't find it odd. I may remember where a friend lives but need their physical address to put into my Waze (or similar) app for directions on exactly how to get to their house if driving or they may have been friend's who had never been to each other's house. That part of his friend's story doesn't strike me as necessarily odd.

True. People who have known me forever have asked me to text my address.

Thoughts...

1. If the driver was an old buddy, would he have needed Blaze to text him directions to his home? Is this a new home for the family that they moved to since Blake was in high school with his 'old buddy.'?
2. One article mentioned that he'd been doing 'online shopping' before he left (IIRC). I wonder what he was buying online?
3. If he was in the market for something specific, could he have possibly found what he was looking for on say, Craigslist, and arranged to meet someone at the park to buy it? Maybe that is why he called Old Buddy, just being smart and not meeting up with a stranger in a park alone.
4. I find it VERY hard to believe that Old Buddy had no idea why Blaze was going to the park. If Blaze rang up Old Buddy and said, "Hey, I need a ride to the park, can you come give me a lift?" wouldn't most people normally ask why your friend needs a ride to the park at night? We are totally not getting the whole story from the friend. Hopefully, though, LE is, and they just aren't releasing that info. There would also, one would think, be a dialogue between BB and Old Buddy about what was to happen after arriving at the park. "I just need you to wait for me for a few minutes, then give me a ride back home (or we will go grab some food, etc.)
5. As we see in so many cases, the family/friends are wanting to keep his reputation from being tarnished. This amazes me, but it happens all the time. If I were missing, I would want my family to explore any and all theories about what happened to me and even if I had 'dark' things about my personal life, well, those are the very things that might hold the clues to finding me and SAVING me!
6. I am also reminded these days of the Taylor Wright case. There was so much silence, LE discouraging family and friends from even putting up missing posters. The seeming lack of urgency was maddening! Come to find out, LE had a handle on it from very early on and were just taking the steps to find her. All at once, the whole thing broke open and we learned what LE had been up to all along when we thought they weren't moving on her case. I'm hoping that this is the case here with young Blaze.
7. I recall reading a post upthread about confirming that there is (or at least is supposed to be) video surveillance at the park. IMO if that is so, then LE has already tracked this boy down far further than we know, and have a good idea of what happened. Praying so for the family.
8. I tend to think "walkaway" or "suicide" quite often early on in this type of case. Not this time though. I think the online shopping comment put that possibility out of my mind. I know it has happened before that a suicidal person filled their gas tank up, etc, but I don't see someone ordering things online that they know they won't be around for when delivered.
ETA: I REALLY would like to know what the last text message sent to the girl said! I'm pretty sure there is a reason they are not stating that.

Alllllll MOO, of course!

Hi Gitana I don't even think it was a friend. I'm thinking more along the lines of a Grindr hookup. Blaze had to give him his address. The word friend is used very loosely these days.

Then number 2?

Wow. Thank you so much!!! I wonder if he met a hook up there. Or what he thought might be more than a hook up but wasn't. or someone predatory.

Interesting and sad case. I know the park well because I hike there a lot. I don;t know why he would go toward the trail head at night. Most people in the area are aware of the puma dangers and wouldn't do that.

Even if he seemed happy and looking forward to the parents, there could've been much more going on. That can be a secretive and complex age.

Even perhaps someone who is homophobic and hates gay people or angry parent that his child is gay. Perhaps a serial killer?

I'm still leaning that the driver harmed him either a hookup or possibly his lover and Blaze was trying to end the relationship before leaving to school.

Yes, this is why I believe they are investigating the friend as a suspect if there are inconsistencies it is a big red flag. I believe an arrest is just a matter of time.

Yeah and saying that someone is cooperating and is not a suspect is often done to make them feel comfortable.

Fantastic first post, GlowingShadow.

The two versions of what happened at the park...Are these two different versions as reported by the media, or two different versions offered at different times by the same person (driver)?

I am not convinced he was ever at the park. Why didn’t the dogs pick up his scent. I’ve seen dogs be extremely accurate. Even in the case of Maricella Garcia the dog tracked the scent 2 weeks after she was missing on a rainy night. Also with all the searches how come no one has spotted him or any trace of him?

Aw yes! The friend, who the parents didn't know, but BB had been friends with prior, could have been an OC hook up friend. That's why he had to give him his address. Is that what you're thinking?

Even perhaps someone who is homophobic and hates gay people or angry parent that his child is gay. Perhaps a serial killer?

I'm still leaning that the driver harmed him either a hookup or possibly his lover and Blaze was trying to end the relationship before leaving to school.

The most dangerous time for someone in a relationship can be when they are trying to end it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
8xbet81bet