Found Deceased CA - Blaze Bernstein, 19, Lake Forest, 2 Jan 2018 #5 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Blaze's phone was in possession of his father, remember. Blaze had a loaner from a relative that didn't seem to have cell service.
Are you referring to the Dad saying he had to go to the Apple Store? Or referring to the last communication which enabled the parents to provide info on who had texted or Snapped Blaze? I still think it might be possible that Blaze was using a secondary device in addition to a phone. For instance, right now, my texts go to both my iPhone and my iPad. I wonder if Blaze's phone might have been broken or left at school & that is why he borrowed someone's. Maybe the Dad went to the Apple Store to see if the phone could be fixed or if they could access his Cloud?

One nagging thought. SW needed directions to BB’s home indicating an unfamiliarity with the area. Hypothetically it was B.B. suggestion to go to a park in a neighborhood he grew up in and was familiar with. Unless SW cased the area in advance.

just posing this hypothesis and opinion!

Blaze's phone was in possession of his father, remember. Blaze had a loaner from a relative that didn't seem to have cell service.

I recall reading that..didn't say why the father had it.
Never know about the accuracy of news articles so who knows.
it'll come out at trial

One nagging thought. SW needed directions to BB’s home indicating an unfamiliarity with the area. Hypothetically it was B.B. suggestion to go to a park in a neighborhood he grew up in and was familiar with. Unless SW cased the area in advance.

just posing this hypothesis and opinion!

but why go to the park after hanging out at the store?
on second thought maybe they never were at the store..

I'm trying to find the video one of our WS'ers shot at the scene. She did a wonderful job of showing the ground all around the area.
I need to see something in that video to see if I remember it correctly.
Can anyone link for me?
It shows as removed by user. It was a great video that SoCalRes did for us....I haven't seen her post lately. Maybe because it was initially thought he had been in that pipe and that was the focus of her video? It was a great on scene perspective for people who don't live nearby.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

The only reference to the store Hobby Lobby came from the mouth of SW.
The same mouth that couldn’t provide an address nor his GF’s last name.
Hardly credible.

but why go to the park after hanging out at the store?
on second thought maybe they never were at the store..

Hardly credible.

Having said that, moving on to the park from Hobby Lobby (if true) could have occurred but we still don’t know for what reason. I’m guessing perhaps B.B. suggested going there to continue their meeting if their spot at the HObby Lobby was too active to remain there.

this is all conjecture and opinion on my part.

Keeping both young men and their families in my prayers.

If I recall correctly, it wasn't that Blaze's borrowed phone didn't have cell service. It was that at approximately 11:30pm that night it was turned off or otherwise disabled.

Depending on the timeline, that could've been by the suspect rather than by Blaze. At some point upthread, I argue that based on the initial news reports, the driver may have said things happened earlier than when he said later that they happened (based on the affidavit). That might've been in an attempt to imply that it was Blaze rather than his killer who sent the worrisome text that was sent from the borrowed phone.

Just want to point out that in California sudden quarrel or heat of passion (if proved, and not saying it can be proved here) can bring a homicide down from murder to voluntary manslaughter.

I believe that applies in most states.

I remember one time a guy who tried to say the girl he was with died from an erotic sex act that she willingly participated in claiming it was an accident instead of murder. She had been strangled to death. He was charged with first degree and his attorneys did go with this defense claiming it was all an accident. The jury didn't believe him for one second and found him guilty of premeditated first degree. Sorry, I cant remember his name at the moment.

Most genuine crime of passion cases I have seen are 2nd degree murder and most were convicted of that charge.

It will all depend on if Blaze had defensive wounds or bruises and was beaten and bruised before he finally was killed. Each violent act committed against the victim can show it was a premeditated act to kill.

I have read over the years it takes up to four minutes to strangle someone to death. I don't know if Blaze was strangled, but if so, it shows the perpetrator had many minutes in which to stop his murderous act before he killed him. It shows his full intent was to murder Blaze. IMO

I really do not think this will be less than first degree. There are countless ways to prove premeditation.

Imo, for whatever reason, SW wanted Blaze dead, and that is why he is no longer living today.

Now if there are no other wounds on the body but except maybe ONE fatal blow to the head that may be a lesser degree. If strangled, that takes aforethought, and constant intent the entire time it took for Blaze to die.

Usually crime of passion cases are where someone picks up something handy in a fit of rage, and hits the victim one time causing their death. I just don't see that happening in this case.

JMO though

Or he might have put him in the drain, gone home and got bags of dirt from the gardening shed, came back and threw it in. This might block the drain but not until heavy rains would it be obviously clogged.

Just a guess of course.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is what I think happened. I think he went back home to get a shovel and some dirt and came back to cover the drain to which he put Blaze in (MOO). Who knows how long he would have been there, if it hadn't been for the rain. Pretty clever, if he did do it this way, because no one walking by even saw any disturbed dirt which would have been a big clue that Blaze was buried there.

Hardly credible.

Having said that, moving on to the park from Hobby Lobby (if true) could have occurred but we still don’t know for what reason. I’m guessing perhaps B.B. suggested going there to continue their meeting if their spot at the HObby Lobby was too active to remain there.

this is all conjecture and opinion on my part.

IIRC, LE has stated that the two of them went to several locations, but has not provided details, such as whether Hobby Lobby was one. I'm assuming that this is based on independent data (cams, GPS etc) rather than SW's word.

Seeing that Blaze called this guy at such an odd hour, it could be he was looking for drugs. Maybe SW gave him heroin laced with fentanyl (killer). SW got scared and buried him rather than call someone and get caught doing this. Just another scenario.

If I recall correctly, it wasn't that Blaze's borrowed phone didn't have cell service. It was that at approximately 11:30pm that night it was turned off or otherwise disabled.

BBM RSBM

Thank you. This is what I believe occurred.

It has been repeated here numerous times that the phone he had with him at the time of his murder didn't have cell service, which I do not believe to be the case.

I think that misinformation came from confusing wording in a MSM article.

I believe the phone was fully operational earlier in the night and that SW disabled the phone after (depending on what was included in the final message to a female friend) Blaze or SW sent that final text.

We may never know motive but perhaps it is simple. Blaze was everything killer was not. Accepted, brilliant, engaged in life with a wonderful future.

Hi Bravo,

You may be right, but I guess I have not looked into SW's background in order to agree. Where might I find some info on SW?

It makes me sad whenever someone is killed --They are always the shinning light. A loss to society, while the killer is always worthless.,. I happen to know a lot of people who when young would have been described as "write-offs" to society, but learned from their mistakes and ended up Becoming a very valued member of that society. I in fact was a screw up. Anyone who knows me today is shocked at my background. They never met the worthless me only people who knew me in my youth would agree with the Worthless label.

Forgive me, this kind of thinking has always been a sore spot with me. This is in no way addressed to you., rather society in genera-we humans can be very tough on each other.
I will read up on SW, though, for a better understanding.

MOO!
RUK
I suppose it is just easier for us to accept when it is put in Black and White terms. Victim the Bright future......Suspected killer the Dark menace to. society.

This thought came about not because I disagree with you , but your post made me think about the many cases discussed here and in the news that always seem to be presented that way.
I would like to read some info on the background of SW. Perhaps it would make me understand a motive...If he is the killer

TIA,
RUK.

Seeing that Blaze called this guy at such an odd hour, it could be he was looking for drugs. Maybe SW gave him heroin laced with fentanyl (killer). SW got scared and buried him rather than call someone and get caught doing this. Just another scenario.

I think it was a pretty usual hour for 19 yr olds, home from school. I don't think it was that odd an hour.

I don't believe this was ever about drugs. I think they were planning a quick hook up, and BB did not realize how angry/emotional/resentful, his ex friend was. JMO

A matter of clarification: BB had sent SW his address via Snapchat, as revealed in the Snapchat that his parents were able to access (it had not disappeared yet, as Snapchat does). As far as I know, this is the only communication between the two that has been revealed by LE. The meeting had to be initiated by some means, but it's not clear who contacted whom originally, or how. BB had a Grindr account (gay hookup or dating site) that had been active on January 2, the day of the murder. What connection that has to SW is not clear to the public. One hopes LE has been able to sort this out.

Early news reports stated strangulation and SW explained wounds to his hands from his being in a "fight club" this implies he knew it was obvious to investigators he had been hitting something with his fists. I can't think of a more violent and up close and personal way to kill someone. Also, there was a rush on blood evidence so I'd say what ever happened it can be safely assumed it was very violent.

Hi all, long time lurker but first time poster here. Love all the hard work the WebSleuthers do! Just wanted to throw in my two cents, <modsnip> I share RainCheck's opinion. <modsnip> Anxiously awaiting an official release of details of the body, although I know there's a good chance it will be a long wait :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper