CA CA - Bob Harrod, 81, Orange County, 27 July 2009 - #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've looked through all the photos I could find, and only saw two where Bob's belt was clearly visible. Both times were with FH (though looks like different times) and it appears to be the same belt; white, with the smooth look of leather as opposed to canvas, and with a rectangular, gold-coloured buckle. The buckle looks as though it may have a distinctive edge or edge pattern, but the photo would need to be blown up to confirm that.

ETA Link to pic. There is a clearer one but I can't link it at the moment.

Sorry, too late to edit this now so I've had to quote. I edited to add the link, and didn't. Here it is, this time. Sorry folks...

http://www.examiner.com/article/robert-merle-harrod-missing-since-2009

SBM

It suddenly strikes me that someone who lives in moderate or cool climates wouldn't realise that wearing polyester in a hot climate is like putting on a plastic bag. It gets hot and sticky-wet right away. Even 50% polyester/cotton feels like a plastic bag.

In a hot, dry climate, polyester is even worse. If you wear pure cotton in such climates, sweat dehydrates immediately and helps cool the body. But if you wear polyester or a poly/cotton mix, it can't evaporate so you are left feeling hotter and sticky.

Bob lived in California for so long, I'd be surprised if he wore poly/cotton shirts. Maybe trousers but I wouldn't bet on it.

No, we know! I don't know why so many 'cotton' clothes have polyester in them in England, it's horrible. Maybe because all our cotton is imported and so more expensive?

It can't have been that difficult for a family member to have looked through those photos by now and checked if both those belts were still in Bob's closet? If one was missing, that could help firm up the 'last seen wearing' just a little. We need all the firming up we can get in this case!

I heard Tricia say on one of her interviews there are people here who are really good at enhancing photos, but I've no idea who they are.

Forgive me WSers. I am very very late to this story but have spent my day reading both here and at another " CCite ".

I have in no way developed a scenario or POI list but I can say that I am sincerely put off by the venom spewed by the "daughters" of BH on that other site.

Jeez Louise! I really never once thought they had a thing to do with Bob's disappearance, but after reading their nasty, derogatory comments about their own dad, I really began to wonder what such ill-contained contempt might breed.

It just reads comment after comment as a rip on Bob ( and on Fontelle, although I DO get that), and it gave me a chill to read their thinly veiled hate for their dad. He must have been a real son of a gun to them and their mom for them to slam him so publicly.

Again, I very late to Bob's story, but I felt a need to pipe in and say that while I do not think those daughters are responsible for Bob's death, they sure weren't very loving daughters.

One thing that struck me on the other site was the number of times well-meaning posters would suggest the daughters contact TES, or raise reward money via one method or another, or supply them with phone numbers and email addresses of people who might help them in areas they were complaining that they were receiving no help. And yet, years later, reading thru the posts and repeated suggestions, the sisters always reply with a "Oh gee, thanks! We will have to try that!".

Maybe it is the benefit of being able to read 3 years of posts in an afternoon, but I fail to see why these sisters repeatedly thanked advice they continued to ignore, over and over.

Any reasonable person might think that sort of response a bit suspect.

Anyway, that is just my newbie two cents.

MOO

Welcome, FrayedKnot. I'm resisting the urge to post the Jabberwocky poem, which makes about as much sense as many things in this case.

Like the sig, by the way.

Finally caught up with all the posts. Many hours glued to my iPad. Sadly IMO I don't think this case will ever be solved, too much time has passed. Here's hoping to a family rift which might dislodge the truth.

I'm still hoping, knt42. People are found after many years, and you never know what pressure Disappeared might bring - believe's cleared the tags in readyness!

Welcome, FrayedKnot. I'm resisting the urge to post the Jabberwocky poem, which makes about as much sense as many things in this case.

Like the sig, by the way.

Oh me loves the Jabberwock! I am always, for some odd reason, compelled to recite it in the style of Bobby Burns, which makes ZERO sense but is quite fun!

`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.'

I am definitely going to tune in. I have started to read the other site now. Very money orientated is all I need to say. I was furious after reading the court documents of the "memorabilia list" on the beginning of this thread, which lured me to read the many many many pages to catch up.

Jabberwock and the memorabilia list seem to fit together somehow. All we need is the Mad Hatter's tea party, although there wouldn't be any teacups, of course. They were on the list too.

Would love to know what was in the boxes in the garage, but then again they covered the whole house with the inventory and the phrase everything else they had forgotten to mention until they looked!

Yes, and there seemed to be such a contradiction; all the 'clutter' was Bob's, supposedly, at first, but then the list is produced and it all seemed to belong to other family members??

An 81-year old millionaire with a houseful of loaned possessions. Makes no sense to me.

Nor me, baffling.

I have witnessed first hand from the death of my parents what normally loving sane siblings turn into monsters possessed by greed. I will never forget the day when I walked in to my parents home and was faced with yellow post it notes stuck on everything. I still laugh about it now.

I'm glad you can laugh about it, at least. It's probably the best way to deal with it. Maybe better than being presented with a list like that.

Can't remember who now, but I think someone suggested that Bob had downgraded to a smaller house when he moved to Placentia, and there might have been too much stuff for the new house -hence the boxes in the garage, etc.

But again, it doesn't make sense in the context of his home having to be full of borrowed possessions. Especially, why would he have wanted to borrow a bed? He'd moved from a home where he and his wife lived with their three children, surely he would have had more beds than he could possibly need?

I'm glad you can laugh about it, at least. It's probably the best way to deal with it. Maybe better than being presented with a list like that.

Can't remember who now, but I think someone suggested that Bob had downgraded to a smaller house when he moved to Placentia, and there might have been too much stuff for the new house -hence the boxes in the garage, etc.

But again, it doesn't make sense in the context of his home having to be full of borrowed possessions. Especially, why would he have wanted to borrow a bed? He'd moved from a home where he and his wife lived with their three children, surely he would have had more beds than he could possibly need?

I know there was a comment (on another site) by one of the daughters as to her having to go out and buy nice, new sheets for the bed to replace the shabby, mismatched ones Bob had. This was supposedly to make Fontelle feel pampered and welcomed. Um. Okay.

Oh. This of course was that same day that Bob went missing. As I am sure you guys already know. :(

I'm not sure but I think Fontelle had stayed in the house about two weeks before she returned to MO. Long enough, I'm sure, for her to buy her own new sheets if she found Bob's unacceptably mismatched. I wouldn't really appreciate someone coming and changing sheets on my marital bed without at least checking with me first.

ETA. I'd find it very intrusive, in fact.

I know there was a comment (on another site) by one of the daughters as to her having to go out and buy nice, new sheets for the bed to replace the shabby, mismatched ones Bob had.

Just to clarify, and someone please correct me if I'm mistaken, but I believe that it wasn't that JM was going to buy bedding for Bob on the day that he disappeared, but she **drove dth (down the hill) from Running Springs the day after he went missing**, without her hubby (who, presumably, was unconcerned about leaving his 'repairs' unfinished and about the safety of his wife).

I guess it's a normal reaction for some people: a parent goes missing, and your primary concern would be to replace his/her bedding the day after his housecleaner has visited.

Tell me that doesn't smell fishy.

Why would you be familiar with the state of your father's sheets, but not with the contents of his closet. Specifically, what was missing on the day he vanished?

He had only been widowed a year and it sounds like those mismatched sheets had been around a while, so the first Mrs Harrod obviously didn't find them unacceptable either, or she'd have thrown them away.

I agree, but I thought the reasoning behind the "borrowed" items listed, was a way of obtaining the possessions with out having to pay probate later on? (For the value) or for removing them from the estate if the rest of the list wasn't adhered to by the courts.

Why empty the house? That is the question that i would like answering. Wouldn't you want it to remain the same in case he came back?

My understanding of a trust though, is that everything should remain intact?

I keep going back to the court documents, IMO the only people who know the whereabouts of bh, are his family.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay