CA CA - Bob Harrod, 81, Orange County, 27 July 2009 - #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
By the way, Oriah and believe09, you're both on my naughty step. Sit. Stay.

I am very relieved to see they are hiring, not firing. I am very relieved to see the OC's printed editions have been going up, not down. They are bucking a global trend for falling print sales, and that's amazing. I think it is fantastic they are investing more in investigative reporting. I love the idea they are concentrating on the printed papers, rather than the online versions. Personally.

I am worried that they may not have fully worked out what exactly is lifting printed sales before they decided to make online access paid-for. What if web traffic was responsible for encouraging people to buy the paper everyday? If online access goes paid-for, traffic will fall ( ask Rupert Murdoch) and it might affect newspaper sales. I am also worried that the new owner has no previous experience in the newspaper trade, which has brought many very experienced, very sharp businessmen to their knees.

If the paid-for access doesn't accept European credit cards, there will be one very unhappy bunny/kaninchen here in Germany. I shall write a letter of complaint. In green ink.

I asked for mod assistance in editing the tags on the thread-the space was filled up and I am pretty sure we will need more room in the coming weeks. :)

One key test will be when the Register begins charging for online access sometime before the end of March. He said readers will pay the same as the print edition — a contrast to publications that charge online subscribers substantially less.

Maybe another use for the paypal we discussed earlier? Now that anyone wishing to read about Bob's case in the OCR will have to pony up some dough.

I get the feeling no-one wants to talk about fiscal deficits. I'm pretending I'm not seeing any posts containing puzzles I can't solve, so....

How about this one, which would really help me and Mr Z, actually. Any opinions on the best databases for missing persons and UIDs? I know NamUs, of course. Any more suggestions? Also, does anyone know a database which specifically concentrates on photos of the missing?

Sorry to be a bit obscure, I can't explain because I haven't got the expertise; I'll just have to show you when it's ready. I'm having to work hard for my christmas present!

I see this question hasn't been answered so here ya go, zwiebel.

http://www.doenetwork.org/

http://www.charleyproject.org/

http://www.nampn.org/

There are more but they are not coming to mind off the top of my head. You can also click the WS resource link in either my or believe09's signature line. There is more info there too.

hth

Good morning, Mr Harrod. Let's get you back to page one.

By the way, Oriah and believe09, you're both on my naughty step. Sit. Stay.

Hopefully I'm on the naughty step leading from Mr. Harrods home into his garage. When my time-out is up, can you move me into a new one on the naughty step on the landing at the bottom of the staircase?
:banghead:

(Oriah, frustrated by the logistics of how this happened.)

New Year, moving forward- sometimes that means retrospecting I suppose. I would love to look back at a couple of things in Mr. Harrod's case that haven't had a lot of attention.

Vehicles is my first thought. Not what everyone was driving or when and where (because we've certainly talked that one out!) but maybe more of an analytical approach, with the features available on each vehicle that were driven that day? Makes, models, what has since transferred ownership that sort of thing.
Does anyone possibly have a flowchart of sorts- of just the vehicles?

I particularly want to see what vehicles had GPS enabled and installed and/or uninstalled the day(s) after Mr. Harrod disappeared. If that makes any sense?

ETA: dangyouautocorrect I give up!

I get on information over load at times-did we talk about this one?

This takes commercial and public waste. The hours of operation are 7AM-4PM. It is a cash operation and anyone with a contractors license or proper ID can dump there.

link here

It is 4.5 miles from Carnation Drive and it seems like an ideal location for construction waste. Does anyone know whether or not they log the visits? Surely they do once you present your credentials and give them the money.

I think we have discussed commercial dump sites. I think I need a bit of advice there, because it looks to me like they are all gated and/or attended etc. I really am not sure how likely it would be that anyone would use them, if they wanted to keep their trash-dumping a little quiet?

I'm fairly certain we haven't had any local input on illegal dumping sites, which I would be very interested in hearing about. I think it's very unlikely they can be spotted on google, but I was thinking of looking at environmental websites, which might highlight problem areas.

Hopefully I'm on the naughty step leading from Mr. Harrods home into his garage. When my time-out is up, can you move me into a new one on the naughty step on the landing at the bottom of the staircase?
:banghead:

(Oriah, frustrated by the logistics of how this happened.)

Oriah, I haven't really got a naughty step. I gave up years ago. And I'm feeling frustrated myself, too. Working with Mr Z is such fun that, well....he decided today the best way for him to work with me was to climb three floors and start demolishing an entire house, by himself, without a hard hat, while poised on one foot like a particularly ungraceful and oversized ballerina.

Unbelievably (but I swear it's true), I only managed to get him down with the help of a former police-dog trainer. He gave me some very interesting hints and tips about solving Bob's case too. Unfortunately, that was another era, another regime and we definitely could not use them in this day and age. I can't approve, even though it would probably solve Bob's case in about half an hour.

One thing that did stick in my head and that I'm fairly confident I've translated correctly was this, because he repeated it three times: 'Walk in his footsteps'. I'm not 100 per cent sure if he was talking about the possible victim or the perp, but I'm sure he meant really, physically do it because he made those walking motions with his fingers. Anyway, sounds like that's exactly what you're trying to do Oriah, and that's what's causing the frustration.

Just keep on keeping on. We're on the right track. 2013 should be the year Bob comes home.

I get on information over load at times-did we talk about this one?

This takes commercial and public waste. The hours of operation are 7AM-4PM. It is a cash operation and anyone with a contractors license or proper ID can dump there.

link here

It is 4.5 miles from Carnation Drive and it seems like an ideal location for construction waste. Does anyone know whether or not they log the visits? Surely they do once you present your credentials and give them the money.

I have just seen that they have had to specify that it is not permissable to deposit body parts at this dump site! Whaaat!

I have just seen that they have had to specify that it is not permissable to deposit body parts at this dump site! Whaaat!

I suspect it applies to some kind of medical waste. I am sure. I hope.

So if you are LE and you have a number of different vehicles and cell phones plus various alibis, how many different requests do you write for how many different providers to get IP's and ping records lol?

That is some of my frustration and part of my wishlist....

As for walking in Bob's or the POI's footsteps-I truly believe that the only walking Bob did after his LKA was inside of Carnation Dr.

Thank you. I was really getting my knickers in a twist over that one.

I was also thinking that it might be useful to know the decay rates of fabrics. I'll happily take corrections, but to me it seems that the majority of shirts, shorts and pyjamas are made from a roughly 50/50 mix of cotton and polyester. If you want 100 per cent cotton or silk, you have to buy special.

I'm not having much luck with that forensic side though - it is all about what happens to people. I'll keep on trying though, because I would like to know what fabrics may still remain if Bob was wearing the clothes stated in Namus, or maybe pyjamas or a dressing gown.

I did an evening intro to a forensic course once, and it's all coming back to me. We had to test clothing 'found' in water - what the water was, what the fabric was. Did I take notes? No. Did I go back and take the course? No. Did I even write and thank the professor for his excellent teaching, so I could ask him a question now? No.

Wish I had though.

Zweibel, a lot of clothes in the USA are 100% cotton. If Bob was wearing a polo shirt and white or khaki shorts, that outfit is likely to be all cotton. Underwear and socks have elastic or Spandex or the like for the stretch.

IDK about fabric decomposition rates, but do put the dryer lint into the composter because most of our clothes & bedding are 100% cotton.

Great question to bring up!

Laughing

Zweibel, a lot of clothes in the USA are 100% cotton. If Bob was wearing a polo shirt and white or khaki shorts, that outfit is likely to be all cotton. Underwear and socks have elastic or Spandex or the like for the stretch.

IDK about fabric decomposition rates, but do put the dryer lint into the composter because most of our clothes & bedding are 100% cotton.

Great question to bring up!

Laughing

And a really informative answer. You've just saved me a completely false trail. Thank you!

So if you are LE and you have a number of different vehicles and cell phones plus various alibis, how many different requests do you write for how many different providers to get IP's and ping records lol?

That is some of my frustration and part of my wishlist....

As for walking in Bob's or the POI's footsteps-I truly believe that the only walking Bob did after his LKA was inside of Carnation Dr.

I believe that as well. :(

just going from past research re: the ping situation (be it cell providers, internet providers, satellites, vehicle factory installed GPS devices, etc) one certainly has to cover their bases. So let's say hypothetically- FH willingly signed permission to home phone, cell and vehicle records that she had either ownership of, partial ownership of, or a company she had a contract- either joint with Mr. Harrod, or on the account of. That's easy and then no need to redo work likely already done by PPD.

But if express permission not granted to LE (or possibly not even sought out initially by LE?) things get more complex; such as vehicles owned by POI's, GPS enabled cell phones that may have been in vehicles at the time Mr. Harrrod disappeared- that sort of thing- then I *think* it requires a request to each specific manufacturer and provider.
But we can speculate, since we know what many of the players involved here drive- yes?

Wow that was a long winded reply! Sorry, believe!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay