CA CA - Bob Harrod, 81, Orange County, 27 July 2009 - #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I spoke too soon about the pen, by the way. I have a graphic tablet and just can't draw a straight line with the pen on the screen. It is just like a normal pen too except it doesn't have ink, of course. I've been trying to make maps with routes and circles but they look like a game of snakes and ladders, played by people with blindfolds on. It's a shame. I thought it was going to be so useful, and 'user-friendly', as they say.

zwiebel, does the tablet you are using support PolarisOffice? if so (they are generally andriod 4.0 tablets) then there is an app for map-making that will help with the pen situation!

I have come to the conclusion, fwiw, that there are a lot of people in this world that just want to be heard. And I am all for it. Everyone deserves respect and sometimes it seems scary to reach out to LE, right?

And THAT is why I have such respect for you. :yourock:

zwiebel, does the tablet you are using support PolarisOffice? if so (they are generally andriod 4.0 tablets) then there is an app for map-making that will help with the pen situation!

I'm having a look now, thanks.

Is there another one? I had no idea. Nothing to do with me, facebook isn't my thing. All this IP address collection seems so strange to me - I can't see how it helps find Bob at all.

It doesn't. It's simply a means of harassing and trying to bully those who want Bob to be found and are actively working on finding Bob.

FWIW, I do not for a second believe the IP tracing is occuring through FB. I believe that information has been given to the daughters by a moderator at another forum. Just a word of caution for those who might wish to read there. If you read there it is possible your IP may be passed along to Bob's daughters. (IF that matters to you.)

It looks just right but there are warnings about bugs and recovering documents (eeek!) so I'm going to have a little consultation before I buy.

It doesn't. It's simply a means of harassing and trying to bully those who want Bob to be found and are actively working on finding Bob.

FWIW, I do not for a second believe the IP tracing is occuring through FB. I believe that information has been given to the daughters by a moderator at another forum. Just a word of caution for those who might wish to read there. If you read there it is possible your IP may be passed along to Bob's daughters. (IF that matters to you.)

I wouldn't have thought that was even legal, with data protection and all that. Guess I'll leave them to worry about that though.

Let's hope they are just as free with private information if LE asks for help at anytime.

I wouldn't have thought that was even legal, with data protection and all that. Guess I'll leave them to worry about that though.

Let's hope they are just as free with private information if LE asks for help at anytime.

It isnt illegal, but it is poor form. I dont know if that type of stuff counts towards the drop off of traffic to some websites, or causes them to be pretty much occupied by a small group of locals.

*shrug*

It isnt illegal, but it is poor form. I dont know if that type of stuff counts towards the drop off of traffic to some websites, or causes them to be pretty much occupied by a small group of locals.

*shrug*

O/T and don't want to detract from Mr. Harrod's case- but what do ya'll think is in poor form or a violation of rights, that sort of thing, regarding capturing IP addresses from websites?

Every web page or site is owned somewhere, by someone. And that owner- whether it's a singular owner, multiple owners, or a company or organization etc- is ultimately responsible for what occurs on their website should LE or even a civil suit become involved. (Gitana, I am calling out for you again! Can you confirm?)

This, as I understand it, is why FB assists LE. FB has already learned the hard way, that they are accountable because they are primary owners? :waitasec: But that doesn't change the fact that their membership agrees to personal responsibility.

That's my understanding, fwiw!

O/T and don't want to detract from Mr. Harrod's case- but what do ya'll think is in poor form or a violation of rights, that sort of thing, regarding capturing IP addresses from websites?

Every web page or site is owned somewhere, by someone. And that owner- whether it's a singular owner, multiple owners, or a company or organization etc- is ultimately responsible for what occurs on their website should LE or even a civil suit become involved. (Gitana, I am calling out for you again! Can you confirm?)

This, as I understand it, is why FB assists LE. FB has already learned the hard way, that they are accountable because they are primary owners? :waitasec: But that doesn't change the fact that their membership agrees to personal responsibility.

That's my understanding, fwiw!

I wasnt clear-I think it is poor form to pass them along to members of the website for the purpose of outing potential viewers of the website.

I wasnt clear-I think it is poor form to pass them along to members of the website for the purpose of outing potential viewers of the website.

Oh, I see! I'm sorry, I was misunderstanding totally!

Yes, it's the giving them out rather than the collection that's dodgy. What a waste of time and energy though. Wish Bob had been the recipient of that effort. He might have been found by now.

Oh, I just remembered a case from ages ago. I'm off to look for a link.

This was about phone details, rather than the web. I do remember thinking though; even if it was a friend and/or former workmate, wouldn't your suspicions be aroused if they wanted the address details of someone who had opted to keep them private? Wouldn't you wonder why and what the consequences might be?

Anyway, evidently these phone company employees did not, but I bet they wish they had after what happened.

'The inquest heard earlier that British Telecom staff are now warned about potentially fatal consequences of giving out ex-directory numbers following the deaths of the Stirlands.

The Stirlands' ex-directory details for their Trusthorpe home were given out by British Telecom employees to a former worker.'

http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/S...arn-BT-staff/story-12243475-detail/story.html

I'm not saying anyone's been put in any danger in our case at all, of course. But, like those phone company employees, whoever gave them out couldn't have known that in advance, could they? They wouldn't have known whose details they were giving out, either. Imagine, they could have outed someone from the FBI, or an obsessive litigation lawyer specializing in data protection, or a marine on a base somewhere. Well, the possibilities are endless really.

Thoughtless at the very least, and obstructive to the cause of finding a poor, elderly man in his eighties, with bad knees and a wife who's still waiting for him, if you ask me.

Oh, I see! I'm sorry, I was misunderstanding totally!

It's been a day of confusion. My pile of gadgets now reach up to my nose and I still can't make any of them do what I want. I'm blaming it on the excitement of finally getting THAT date!

It's been a day of confusion. My pile of gadgets now reach up to my nose and I still can't make any of them do what I want. I'm blaming it on the excitement of finally getting THAT date!

Works for me :floorlaugh:

In my meanderings today, I discovered February 18th is Family Day in Canada. Is it celebrated in the US too?

Every day is family day in the U.S. as far as I am concerned. As to whether or not it is formally recognized, I have never heard of it. :)

If it makes you feel any better, we just had the cable guy out to repair an external cable that was chewed through by squirrels (yep, squirrels.)
So now we have a bunch of new gadgets also. I swear, the learning curve is crazy-exponential.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli