CA CA - Bob Harrod, 81, Orange County, 27 July 2009 - # 2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is the new wife hanging on?? Mr Harrod went missing 6 days after they got married. Would she be entitled to only 6 days of $$ or will she be entitled to all this time that he has been missing. And what about Bob's house. To me it seems like she is a squatter..

I wonder about this also. I know California is a community property state, but I'm not sure how the family trust or short marriage affect that.

The PPD don't believe the family is responsible. They have ruled them out as suspects. Now..Fontelle was still in MO when Bob went missing but could any of her family have come to CA before her to "pave the way" for their mother to have all her things in order when she arrived? Maybe they arrived to find the hairdresser in Bob's house and an argument started. We have not heard anything about HER family being ruled out as suspects. Also, the PPD seems to think the hairdresser had nothing to do with the disappearance but it was said on here that Bobs SIL could have possibly done something in the heat of passion or maybe even the grandson..Why couldn't the son of the hairdresser have done something? His mother was getting cut off! Therefore he would be getting cut off thru his mother..There's alot of motive here that has not yet been discussed. I don't know why it's so hard to understand...IF Mr Harrod would have just given his daughters what they were asking for on that Sunday afternoon they would have gone on with their life and let their father gone on with his new life. Isn't it obvious that it was someone else that didn't want that to happen??

Cubby posted a link that the hairdresser and husband have been ruled out as suspects. Do you have a link that Bob's family has been ruled out as suspects? TIA!!! I have not read anything that indicates this.

Now see, this is one of the reasons I don't believe the family is responsible. Having Bob go missing is not going to get them anything anytime soon. If they were so anxious to get his $$$, they would have wanted him found ASAP. And the lack of searching isn't going to find him. Doesn't it seem they would be pulling out all the stops to find his remains if they knew he was deceased? And they would know where to look.

It's a thought.... and a reasonable one. I've tried to figure that out too....
Unless there was something someone wanted to keep hidden. Then it might be worth waiting the 4 yrs and the possibility his remains are never found.

It would be interesting to see if Bobs daughters try to have him declared legally dead prior to the required 5 years and what reasons they might use to have the need to not wait the regular 5 years. IF they go that route.

One would think Fontelle's family or at least one of them would be staying here with her. I wouldn't leave my mother in a strange city alone knowing there are three women that want her out of that house. From all accounts she is a wonderful woman, but I do have to ask myself if it were me and my husband of a month went missing would I really stay in his home and be fighting for his wealth........myself I would not feel entitled to it and it sounds like the way that trust was set up she's not. These trusts don't get set up just for tax reasons they get set up so one spouse doesn't go off and marry someone else and she takes everything. I think that is what and why the daughters wanted to see the trust to make sure all the tees were crossed. After all this time I think we all know Bob didn't leave on his own and he is not coming back to that house.

Why is the new wife hanging on?? Mr Harrod went missing 6 days after they got married. Would she be entitled to only 6 days of $$ or will she be entitled to all this time that he has been missing. And what about Bob's house. To me it seems like she is a squatter..

If he is not dead, she is entitled to "hang around" and see what the heck happened I would think. She uprooted her life in good faith and married him in good faith, right? And six days later he disappeared in the midst of preparing for her arrival....

If he is deceased, the courts will work out what is fair in this case.

From where I sit, as a newbie, the people closest to Bob have not been ruled out as having anything to do with his disappearance. Makes sense-LE starts from inside and works their way out. The best approach is to get yourself cleared so LE can move on to someone else who might have been involved......the friend who was allegedly the recipient of Bob's generosity has been ruled out. So who would benefit from him disappearing, and if the person is Bob where would he go?

Do we know if he liked fishing, warm weather, skiing, chess, cars etc???

Cubby posted a link that the hairdresser and husband have been ruled out as suspects. Do you have a link that Bob's family has been ruled out as suspects? TIA!!! I have not read anything that indicates this.

I'm still working my way through thread 1 and all media links in thread one.
I have only seen that the police are not "calling the daughters suspects" -(paraphrased)

Not calling them suspects and ruling out as suspects are two very different things.

(and would have to find the link - but I think it is the same link which I posted stating the hair dresser has been ruled out)

It's a thought.... and a reasonable one. I've tried to figure that out too....
Unless there was something someone wanted to keep hidden. Then it might be worth waiting the 4 yrs and the possibility his remains are never found.

It would be interesting to see if Bobs daughters try to have him declared legally dead prior to the required 5 years and what reasons they might use to have the need to not wait the regular 5 years. IF they go that route.

Yes - that would be very telling. Guess we shall see!

Meanwhile, those who are able to benefit from Bob simply being "missing" are the hairdresser - provided she was to repay what he had given her - and Fontelle, who is living in his home and likely receiving funds from the trust to cover the expenses.

One would think Fontelle's family or at least one of them would be staying here with her. I wouldn't leave my mother in a strange city alone knowing there are three women that want her out of that house. From all accounts she is a wonderful woman, but I do have to ask myself if it were me and my husband of a month went missing would I really stay in his home and be fighting for his wealth........myself I would not feel entitled to it and it sounds like the way that trust was set up she's not. These trusts don't get set up just for tax reasons they get set up so one spouse doesn't go off and marry someone else and she takes everything. I think that is what and why the daughters wanted to see the trust to make sure all the tees were crossed. After all this time I think we all know Bob didn't leave on his own and he is not coming back to that house.

I get what your saying, but who is fighting for Bob then if not her? Are the children fighting for him? Based on a limited amount of media provided information, Bob seems to have made many decisions that were not popular with his children and he did not seem to care because he made them anyway. He gave away or loaned money, may have had a girlfriend and ultimately married for the second time without considering their obvious disappointment in these actions. They called Social Services at least once to attempt to dissuade him-but he still did as he wished.

Here's a link from the OC Register stating the Son in law and the daughters have all been ruled out as suspects.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/-214111--.html

I think the only reason she is in that house it because the will/ trust is in the courts hands to decide. My understanding of these trust at least here in PA is that Fontelle would not be entitled to any thing that Bob and his first wife earned together. Any money coming in after she would be entitled to, like rent from properties things like that. I can't believe Bob would have had time to put her in any will and by law he couldn't over ride that trust.

I get what your saying, but who is fighting for Bob then if not her? Are the children fighting for him? Based on a limited amount of media provided information, Bob seems to have made many decisions that were not popular with his children and he did not seem to care because he made them anyway. He gave away or loaned money, may have had a girlfriend and ultimately married for the second time without considering their obvious disappointment in these actions. They called Social Services at least once to attempt to dissuade him-but he still did as he wished.

Agree. I believe Fontelle is staying to find out what happened to her husband. If she leaves there will be no one.

It would be far easier for her to go back to Mo.

Also, it has been posted and also was in the media that Fontelle was not wanting for money.

Here's a link from the OC Register stating the Son in law and the daughters have all been ruled out as suspects.

"Loomis said simple logic would dictate that Bob Harrod's money would be the motive for someone to get rid of him, which would hypothetically connect Harrod's daughters to the disappearance. But JM's story checks out, and neither he nor any of the daughters are suspects in the disappearance, Loomis said."

Terri Horman is not a suspect either.

What I can't figure out is why isn't Fontelle AND the daughters doing all they can to find Bob? Even if they were both pursuing finding him seperately, we are not 'seeing' evidence of a search.

I don't understand why if funds can be used for certain expenses they can not be used to hire a PI to assist the case. (Though I may not have read far enough in thread 1 to determine why that is not happening )

No one, IMO, is fighting for Bob, sadly.

We don't know the extent of Bob's affection for the hairdresser, but she is married. Even his good friend, CA Exile, had reservations about her - and I don't believe his feelings had anything to do with the money.

IIRC, a more recent article (which I cannot locate just now) stated that NO ONE has been cleared.

I honestly believe the daughters were genuinely happy about Bob and Fontelle. Of course, that feeling may have been altered when $$$ came up.

Dolly, there is nothing in the above article which states SIL and the daughters have been "ruled out as suspects" or cleared of involvement in the case.

Here is the quote I was refering to from LE in the above article.

"But Jeff Michaels' story checks out, and neither he nor any of the daughters are suspects in the disappearance, Loomis said"

Nothing about that statement indicates ruled out or cleared.

BBM
Especially since the hairdresser has made buddy buddy with her and has started to go over and visit with her.

I understand and at first I thought the same thing, but it has been a year. Bob is not coming back to that house so what is she fighting for, so the daughters don't get their trust? Really there is no reason for her to keep waiting unless she just likes the area and the house. All her family and friends are not from this area why after a year stick around unless there is something to gain. Bob did upset his children they have made that clear but really who loved him more his children or Fontelle?

Now see, this is one of the reasons I don't believe the family is responsible. Having Bob go missing is not going to get them anything anytime soon. If they were so anxious to get his $$$, they would have wanted him found ASAP. And the lack of searching isn't going to find him. Doesn't it seem they would be pulling out all the stops to find his remains if they knew he was deceased? And they would know where to look.

I don’t think it was necessarily planned by the family. I think something may have happened between the SIL and Bob that day, triggered by the recent events involving money given out, new marriage, argument with daughters. Things came to a head. IMO

I think then there was covering going on…it worked to their benefit anyway. IMO

Not everyone might know where he is…steps are taken to become co-conservators and co-trustees…that is the first order of business. Maybe after some time he will be found - if not, it’s just a matter of waiting 4 more years.

Agree. I believe Fontelle is staying to find out what happened to her husband. If she leaves there will be no one.

What is she doing to find Bob? She has changed the locks on the house, so even if he returned, his keys wouldn't work.

It would be far easier for her to go back to Mo.

Yes, it would. She is elderly and alone - for all intents and purposes. If she was your mother, wouldn't you want her nearby? It's not as if she's physically able to search for Bob.

Also, it has been posted and also was in the media that Fontelle was not wanting for money.

I don't recall seeing that. Do you recall the source?

Had Fontelle been married once before or twice?

They got married on June 29 and he went missing on July 27. I count 28 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abk018