CA CA - Bob Harrod, 81, Orange County, 27 July 2009 - # 7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I agree. And yes, perhaps you're right: he was definitely circumspect enough to know that he was at risk. That will be borne out in the facts reported, I believe. But I guess what I am saying is that the only vulnerability to which he would appear to have opened himself was his own family. Therein lies the tragedy: family should mean security, not vulnerability, and it would seem Bob's trust might have hurt him.

BBM....

I believe he would have known he was at risk of criticism for his choices - particularly after marrying Fontelle and declaring he was going to name her in his will. I don't believe he ever thought his own life was at risk.

Sadly, it seems he should have extended his self-imposed "break" from his own daughters, indefinitely.

IMO, Bob was not blameless, as far as the $$$$ goes. Yet the in-fighting over all of it is sick and shameless.....and quite telling.

IMOHO.

Bolded by me. Bob’s daughter JuM said Bob pushed them away around Christmas. Christmas of 2008 to end of June would be 6 months. She was not spending much time with Bob at all. She was clearly in no position to say he was showing signs of dementia. So why did she? I can guess.

Daughter JuM - August 13, 2009 – IS (no link)

Our father pushed us away around Christmas, he wanted time "to get in touch" with his feelings. It hurt all of us, we tried to respect his wishes but I would stop in now and then when I was down the hill and he would be happy to see us. It was a weird situation that we did not understand. We did however warn him of the POI taking advantage of him and he brushed it off. This is heartbreaking, the distance he created was so selfish. We found out that he purchased lavish gifts for POI and he could not believe she did not like the diamond bracelet so he had to go back and get her something else for her. He did not even acknowledge his own grandson and great grandchildren. In a nutshell that is what happened until we came down to meet F he wanted us to be an instant family again. The difficult situation of just losing our mother and then D pushing us away was insane. As if our emotions can be shut down and then turned back on in a snap.

=====

Michaels says her father had been showing signs of dementia...

=====

Detectives who interviewed his doctor say Bob was of sound mind, Loomis said.

http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktl...0,266953.story
http://articles.latimes.com/2010/feb/02 ... 010feb03/4

I suspect Bobs daughters saw very little of him after Christmas of 2008. That would put them in no position to make any comments on any possible deterioration of his state of health/mind.

In addition to his doctor firmly stating he was of sound mind, IIRC his best friend and neighbor who probably spent the most time with Bob indicated the same.

Bumping this up again. Added a snip for those who may not be able to open the pdf of the court document.

(snip)
Even though a homicide investigation by the Placentia Police Department remains open and Jeff Michaels (son-in-law), Julie Michaels (youngest daughter), Andrew Harrod (grandson), and Petitioners Roberta Brady and Paula Borcher all remain persons of interest, Petitioners and Objector agreed to proceed through mediation before the Honorable Arnold Gold on March 25th, 2010.

I believe this is a good time to bump up the public document that states clearly who the persons of interest are. IIRC, it is stated on page six of the enclosed pdf doc.

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - CA CA - Bob Harrod, 81, Orange County, 27 July 2009 - #5

Bolded by me. Bob’s daughter JuM said Bob pushed them away around Christmas. Christmas of 2008 to end of June would be 6 months. She was not spending much time with Bob at all. She was clearly in no position to say he was showing signs of dementia. So why did she? I can guess.

Our father pushed us away around Christmas, he wanted time "to get in touch" with his feelings. It hurt all of us, we tried to respect his wishes but I would stop in now and then when I was down the hill and he would be happy to see us. It was a weird situation that we did not understand. We did however warn him of the POI taking advantage of him and he brushed it off. This is heartbreaking, the distance he created was so selfish. We found out that he purchased lavish gifts for POI and he could not believe she did not like the diamond bracelet so he had to go back and get her something else for her. He did not even acknowledge his own grandson and great grandchildren. In a nutshell that is what happened until we came down to meet F he wanted us to be an instant family again. The difficult situation of just losing our mother and then D pushing us away was insane. As if our emotions can be shut down and then turned back on in a snap.

=====

=====

Daughter JuM alluded to the split in the Harrod family on ROTW shortly after her father married Fontelle.

(JuM July 10, 2009) "I still miss my mom very much. This woman is wonderful and very loving and full of life. Her immediate plans are to get our family reunited again."

BBM....

I don't believe it was just one family member, but all. I'm sure he never truly believed they would harm him and, it would seem, that did make him vulnerable.

I'm sure he never thought it would. :(

This is what makes me so incredibly sad over this case. Bob clearly went through a rough time in the months preceding his first wifes death seeing her suffer terribly due to her lengthy illness. In the months following her passing he was unable to properly grieve her death (likely due to harrasment over the family estate) finally having to ask his adult daughters for a 6 month hiatus to "get in touch with his feelings". Something his youngest daughter couldn't understand and defined as "selfish". Then he finally sees a ray of sunshine in his life and hope for the future after being reunited with Fontelle, only to have it taken away just as he had finally found some peace and happiness in what should have been his last years. All due to an incredible sense of entitlement and greed.

Praying there is a LOT more going on behind the scenes that LE is keeping incredibly close to the vest in order not to tip off those responsible. Because NONE of us will ever quit until Bob receives the justice he so deserves. Whether that is in Fontelles lifetime or not. I pray it is.

MOO

Interesting. I don't see any current quotes or interviews from the 3 daughters, son-in-law, grandson in these articles or video.

If they were asked they most likely declined.

"Roberta says she is reluctant to talk to the media because she's been unfairly represented in the past. But, she says, she is determined to find out what happened to her father."

"Julie and Jeff Michaels, contacted through Roberta Brady, would not comment for this story."

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/feb/02/local/la-me-disappeared3-2010feb03/2

http://www2.ocregister.com/articles/harrod-bob-police-2598739-fontelle-michaels

If they were asked they most likely declined.

"Roberta says she is reluctant to talk to the media because she's been unfairly represented in the past. But, she says, she is determined to find out what happened to her father."

"Julie and Jeff Michaels, contacted through Roberta Brady, would not comment for this story."

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/feb/02/local/la-me-disappeared3-2010feb03/2

http://www2.ocregister.com/articles/harrod-bob-police-2598739-fontelle-michaels

And their PI Clarke just had an opportunity via the most recent media to make a statement or press release on behalf of the family, without interference in how the media might 'unfairly represent' what they have to say - and nothing from PI Clarke in that area.

I recall so many MP cases in which PI's offer to set up private poly's, talk about how they wish to work closely with LE.....

I've googled and this is the only MSM I can find that PI Clarke has ever made a statement to the media. Maybe I missed something else in the media from PI Clarke that someone else can find.

And their PI Clarke just had an opportunity via the most recent media to make a statement or press release on behalf of the family, without interference in how the media might 'unfairly represent' what they have to say - and nothing from PI Clarke in that area.

I recall so many MP cases in which PI's offer to set up private poly's, talk about how they wish to work closely with LE.....

I've googled and this is the only MSM I can find that PI Clarke has ever made a statement to the media. Maybe I missed something else in the media from PI Clarke that someone else can find.

I will say this much in his defense -- he is in a pretty awkward situation! Whatever his background, I'm sure that the writing was on the wall for him within days (if not hours) of taking on the case.

I will say this much in his defense -- he is in a pretty awkward situation! Whatever his background, I'm sure that the writing was on the wall for him within days (if not hours) of taking on the case.

But he is still retained by Bobs daughters. He has chosen to stay on as representation for a reason, no?

I used to have my RE license. Left the business due to the conflict between parenting and the business hours. Much of my business dealt with first time buyers and sellers and as many had my share of some knock down drag down battles between clients in getting the deal closed. I was also on both sides of procurement issues brought to the board over commission. Only once in my career did I have to speak to my broker about bowing out of a contract with what I felt was unethical and potential illegal business practices and did so appropriately.

I'm sure PI Clarke takes his profession and code of ethics as seriously as any professional and if he had any doubts in retaining his clients he would act accordingly.

So, as a professional, perhaps PI Clarke has something to add which we might read in the days ahead to keep Bobs story in the news. Something his clients might wish to release when the camera isn't shoved in their face with no notice. Something to find the answers Bobs disappearance without his clients concerns.

I am hoping to hear more from PI Clarke and his clients side on the investigation into what happened to Mr Harrod other than "it's bizzare" and "he had no known enemies" - which has been known and stated by Bobs daughters within the first 2 weeks or so of Bobs disappearance.

Waiting to hear more from PI Clarke... and hoping he can shed some light on this finding Bob and bringing the perp(s) to justices.

Jmvho

I was just pondering one thought, according to the police report a neighbor of Bob's let the police into the house the night he was reported missing with HER key. How come she/he has never been mentioned. This person had a key, lived across the street and they saw nothing, not even mentioned by Bob's daughters????? They have been so quick to mention so many others why not this person who has access to the house??????
Who is this person , have they spoke with LE, why are they above being mentioned?
Just a thought.

I was just pondering one thought, according to the police report a neighbor of Bob's let the police into the house the night he was reported missing with HER key. How come she/he has never been mentioned. This person had a key, lived across the street and they saw nothing, not even mentioned by Bob's daughters????? They have been so quick to mention so many others why not this person who has access to the house??????
Who is this person , have they spoke with LE, why are they above being mentioned?
Just a thought.

Any neighbor who is trusted with a key to someones home should have knowledge of the comings and goings of people to said home.

So key neighbor (KN) saw nothing on the day Bob disappeared? Was KN the person who provided the key for daughter JuM to get into Bobs home to change the linens the day after his disappearance, or did Bobs daughters or grandson have a designated emergency key? I'd think location wise, the logical person to have a spare key would be the grandson as the closest relative and the key neighbor.

How did daughter JuM gain full access to Bobs home the day after he went missing?

BBM. There is nothing else.

Any neighbor who is trusted with a key to someones home should have knowledge of the comings and goings of people to said home.

So key neighbor (KN) saw nothing on the day Bob disappeared? Was KN the person who provided the key for daughter JuM to get into Bobs home to change the linens the day after his disappearance, or did Bobs daughters or grandson have a designated emergency key? I'd think location wise, the logical person to have a spare key would be the grandson as the closest relative and the key neighbor.

How did daughter JuM gain full access to Bobs home the day after he went missing?

Good question. I'd also like to know whether JeM and JuM had a key to Bob's house.

Good question. I'd also like to know whether JeM and JuM had a key to Bob's house.

Mr. Harrod's keys were supposedly missing along with Mr. Harrod.

JeM told the housekeeper he left the back door unlocked. Why would he leave the back door unlocked if Mr. Harrod was home when JeM left for the hardware store? How would JeM know that Mr. Harrod did not lock the back door?

Mr. Harrod's keys were supposedly missing along with Mr. Harrod.

JeM told the housekeeper he left the back door unlocked. Why would he leave the back door unlocked if Mr. Harrod was home when JeM left for the hardware store? How would JeM know that Mr. Harrod did not lock the back door?

Exactly.

=====

=====

Daughter RB opened her first post on IS regarding her father's disappearance with the following:

(RB August 2, 2009) "Though Bob was not diagnosed, instances of forgetfulness led family to believe he could have some early signs of dementia."

The Sunday, August 28, 2011 print copy of the Orange County Register has the story about Bob on page 3 of the Local section. It's the same one that was online recently but with a pic of Bob with Sassy.

There are many, many more. BRB with some of the other charming statements made by these women starting shortly after Bob disappeared.

Snipped~~~~

The daughters labeled the hairdresser a POI in their father's disappearance early on. The hairdresser may have told PPD information given to her by Mr. Harrod. So what does daughter RB do? She calls her father a "chronic liar" on the WWW.

(RB August 12, 2009) "POI insinuating that family (actual family) is involved. Jeesh! POI doesn't really know family and only had D's chronic lies to base her opinion on."

I remember when Bob first went missing and its been so very long. i never believed the SIL; I think that it's very likely after such a heated "get together" the night before that his one daughter had her husband return and possibly kill bob that day. Yes, cleaning up a murder, can call for "home repairs" and trips to Home Depot that's a fact. I've never believed his claim and most likely the last person to see him is responsible for his demise. I don't believe the family wanted his new wife to have a dime; they were tired of waiting for him to die, so one or all hatched this scheme to make sure this new wife never received a dime. It sounds to me like his children cared only about one thing: His bank account balance. This is motive in this crime; finding his body will be tough, but I'm hopeful that the case truly is being worked on and I just wish that TES could come and scan the remote areas that the SIL, Daughters, or Bob himself were known to go; I mean out in the desert. I remember the SIL's excuses that he went for a hike that day. I've not forgotten about that at ALL. I don't get to post much here but I saw Bobs thread and had to post. I think there will be arrests at some point for his murder. It's clear that Bob has not attempted to make contact or touch his money in any way, I doubt he ran off at his age. I think that "they" (his children) killed him. IMO; there is much motive in thi case. 15K was nothing to these "adult children" they wanted the kit and kaboodle, and were most likely enraged to find that he had remarried and would be changing his will.

All of that, happening in the days leading up to his murder. I do think he was murdered and I do think it was familial, I doubt his new wife (who by law is entitled to his estate) had anything to do with this. It's the SIL's presence in and out of his home that day that really always stood out to me as suspect. so tracing him; and everything about him is so important in this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member