CA CA - Bob Harrod, 81, Orange County, 27 July 2009 - # 8

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to post my various thoughts in separate posts to make replying easier.

In almost every single cold case I've followed, it turns out that within a month of the crime, LE had the name of the perpetrator or had information that would point straight at the perpetrator but, for various reasons, did not realise what they had in the files.

A distant example is Ted Bundy. As early as the first Seattle killings, there were people turning in Ted's name to the tip line. Part of the problem there was that this was before computers, so it was impossible to correlate the tips with other information such as the names of all VW Bug owners in the area.

A more recent example is the Stephanie Lazarus case. Within the first three days after Sherri Rasmussen's death, her father told police that Lazarus, an ex-girlfriend of the husband, should be investigated. At the time, DNA testing was impossible but the medical examiner did swab the deep bite mark on Sherri Rasmussen's arm.

Decades later, that swab was pulled out of storage for DNA testing and revealed that Rasmussen had been bitten by a woman. Problem was, there were no matches in CODIS.

Five (or so) years later, homicide detectives in Van Nuys pulled out the file and with fresh eyes put the pieces of evidence together in a new way. A way that led to the conviction of Stephanie Lazarus last month for murder in the first degree.

In fact, right off the top of my head, I can't think of a single cold case where there wasn't some type of evidence pointing to the perpetrator from the first month of the investigation.

LE has stated Bob received a telephone call from a non family member about 10 am the morning he went missing. There is no argument his SIL was doing odd jobs/handy man jobs at Bob's home the day he went missing.

SIL, Bob's 3 daughters and grandson have not been ruled out as poi's or suspects.

LE has NEVER stated they have ruled Bob's home out as the crime scene.

BBM. I think your post answered your comment. Your grandpa and step grandma had many happy years together. Travelled and pursued many interests, along with having a busy social life.

I'm sure your grandpa, like Bob, made sure his wife would be taken care of after his passing, should he have passed first.

These things take money. Money which was rightfully Bob's to do what he saw fit. Sadly, some believed Bob's money was theirs. A second wife, travelling, social interests, all would have taken money. A risky investment for those who believed Bob's money was rightfully their's.

I have a step mom, my dad is happy, and I am very happy for him. Sadly, for some their parents money is more important than their parents happiness.

:moo:

My grandfather was reasonably certain he'd die first because women generally live longer than men and because he was something like 8 years older than his wife.

I know my mother often said that she thought the best solution would be for them to live well and die the day after they spent their last pounds.

My grandfather left a few specific mementos to each of his own children and grandchildren and left the rest of his estate to my Grandma A (as we called her). I really don't have any idea of how much money that would be but it was considered substantial for the time (this was about 30 years ago).

Grandma A was reasonably well off in her own right when she married my grandfather. After my grandfather's death, the combination of his estate with her own money meant she could afford very good care for the rest of her own life (as she put it "travelling is something I would rather remember happily than attempt again."). In turn, Grandma A left her entire estate to her only child.

Our family certainly did not mind. It was my grandfather's money and his to leave however he saw fit.

Grandma A made sure each of us got the mementos and notes he'd left for us, which meant everything to us. She added her own letters, too. In mine, she recalled a few occasions where my grandfather had mentioned me approvingly. I think everyone else's letters were in a similar vein.

My grandfather raised his daughters to be tough, hard working and bold. Not easily intimidated by anything or anyone. They all believed they could do anything they put their minds to and worked hard for. In doing so, he gave them the best legacy any parent could possibly leave.

Money is nothing compared to that.

Thank you again Grannie! :blowkiss:

I am looking forward to any hearing notes that are available for yesterday's hearing. Monday should be an interesting day as well-a jury trial for BL's case (shouldnt take long:twocents:) And a hearing in the matter of the Harrod Trust.

Good stuff, I am sure.

I hope Mrs Harrod is doing well and holding up.

LE has stated Bob received a telephone call from a non family member about 10 am the morning he went missing. There is no argument his SIL was doing odd jobs/handy man jobs at Bob's home the day he went missing.

SIL, Bob's 3 daughters and grandson have not been ruled out as poi's or suspects.

LE has NEVER stated they have ruled Bob's home out as the crime scene.

True enough. In fact, considering that the house was processed by OC CSI, I think that LE must have a firm suspicion (aka "probable cause") to invest the money in such an investigation.

Within the last few years, there was a cold case in my state solved when LE processed the scene of the crime something like 11 years later. There was still enough trace evidence left in the house to lead to a conviction.

Even as recently as 25 years ago, something like that would seem impossible. It's amazing what strides forensic science has made (and continues to make).

Thank you again Grannie! :blowkiss:

I am looking forward to any hearing notes that are available for yesterday's hearing. Monday should be an interesting day as well-a jury trial for BL's case (shouldnt take long:twocents:) And a hearing in the matter of the Harrod Trust.

Good stuff, I am sure.

I hope Mrs Harrod is doing well and holding up.

BBM

It's actually GraInne; it should have a diacritic mark over the "a" but I don't know how to make my computer do that. I consider it rather a miracle I can manage to use the WS boards!

I greatly look forward to seeing any court documents; I've found the previous ones very revealing and helpful in formulating some theories as to Bob's disappearance.

The more I read about Bob's case, the more I am reinforced in my personal belief that justice is for the living.

Not only do I believe that the dead are beyond needing or even caring about justice in this world, I believe that it is the living who suffer from lack of justice.

This case is a good example. There have been fingers pointed in many directions. Not all those suspicions can come true because some are mutually exclusive.

But those who are innocent and suspected are suffering not just from the suspicion but the inevitable fear of "what if no one believes me? Will my life be ruined?" The guilty probably suffer something similar but their suffering is self inflicted; the suffering of the innocent is not.

There are people out there who are grieving but cannot fully grieve because there's always that wild hope that maybe Bob is still alive, maybe he has amnesia, maybe this, maybe that.

If there is more than one person with guilty knowledge, it's likely that the blame is uneven; if one person acted alone and others figured it out or were told afterwards, sure, that's guilty knowledge but the person who acted bears the most blame.

I have a general observation based on life experience: the sooner a person faces the consequences, the better it goes. If a person fears something, the sooner they face it, the sooner that horrid feeling of dread can be dispelled.

CONSERVATORSHIP OF ESTATE ONLY
30-2009-00291267-PR-CE-LJC

There was a hearing for "Accounting" scheduled for 3/26 that now shows as being continued to 5/7. Per the Probate Notes at link below, it sounds like bank statements provided were not sufficient / through the required period.

https://cfapps.occourts.org/calenda...esv3/30-2009-00291267-PR-CE-LJCM71444716.html

Hmm. Now why would one deliberately drag out the necessary accounting paperwork they are court ordered to provide, over and over and over and over? IIRC this info was supposed to be provided to the court back in 2010.

It certainly doesn't look good - not only for Bob's disappearance being about HIS money, it doesn't look good for those who claim they are acting in their fathers best interest.

There was a hearing for "Accounting" scheduled for 3/26 that now shows as being continued to 5/7. Per the Probate Notes at link below, it sounds like bank statements provided were not sufficient / through the required period.

https://cfapps.occourts.org/calenda...esv3/30-2009-00291267-PR-CE-LJCM71444716.html

The conservators have already been through this process once; I would have thought they would have figured out how to present an acceptable report to the court.

Anyone in California have an idea as to how much leeway judges tend to give in such matters? For instance, how many continuances due to inadequate reports are likely to be granted before the judge says "get it straight or else"?

Bob’s daughter JuM, the wife of the last person to see Bob alive, continues to post on her community site. She sometimes posts 50 times per day: about the weather, videos she’s created, rescuing dogs, her exhaustion (she hasn’t worked in years), giving others advice, what she does and doesn’t eat, movies and music she likes, jokes of the day, starting up a crafters group, etc. She still hasn’t mentioned anything about trying to find her father or raising awareness that he’s still missing.

In a recent post, she mentions that her son Andrew, who previously filed for bankruptcy and lived in a house down the street from Bob, which I believe Bob lent him money for, has moved to a “much for affluent area than their old house.” It sounds like affluence is important to JuM. I can’t find any online property records showing that Andrew’s house near Bob was sold. I wonder where he got the money for the new house and whether he ever paid back Bob’s estate for the other house?

[snipped] …they now live in a much more affluent area than their old house, the schools are better, no need for private schools. Everything a Nana and Pops dreams of, our son and his children are happy and busy with life soaking up as much culture as they can.

http://forums.rimoftheworld.net/showthread.php?73-Running-Springs-Stits&p=44387#post44387

Here are the probate notes: (the bolded in red is by me...)

SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA COUNTY OF ORANGE
NOTICE TO ATTORNEYS / PROBATE EXAMINERS NOTESSRIVASTAV, INDUATTORNEY FOR: Proposed Conservator - BORCHER, PAULA SUEREGARDING CASE: 30-2009-00291267-PR-CE-LJC - HARROD - CONSERVATORSHIP
CDD: January 12, 2012PARTY NUMBER: MATTER: 71396772 HEARING SET FOR:09:00 AMMarch 26, 2012DEPTL73Page 1 of 3

TO BE CONTINUED TO 5/7/12 PER EMAIL REQUEST FROM AARON CHARLES
GREGG. LAST CONTINUANCE WITHOUT AN APPEARANCE.

REVIEWED DATE: 02/24/12

REQUIRES ALL ORIGINAL BANK STATEMENTS FOR BEGINNING TIME PERIOD
AS OF 5/5/10 TO BE FILED WITH THE COURT. STATEMENTS PROVIDED WERE
ONLY FOR ENDING PERIOD, HOWEVER, THEY WERE NOT SUFFICIENT, AS THEY
WERE ONLY THROUGH 5/27/11.

REQUIRES ORIGINAL BANK STATEMENTS FOR EDWARD JONES THROUGH THE
ACCOUNT PERIOD OF 5/31/11, AS STATEMENTS PROVIDED ARE ONLY THOUGH
5/27/11.

COURT TO DETERMINE ATTORNEY'S FEE OF $14,257.50 MINUS PAYMENT
$3,650.12= BALANCE UNPAID OF $10,607.38 BASED ON 55.75 hours BROKEN
DOWN TO 37.4 HOURS AT $300, AND 15.85 HOURS AT $150.

COURT TO DETERMINE ATTORNEY'S FEE OF $3,690 BASED ON 12.3 hours
AT $300 PER HOUR.

REQUIRES DECLARATION IN SUPPORT OF ATTORNEY FEES SETTING FORTH

NOTICE TO ATTORNEYS / PROBATE EXAMINERS NOTESATTORNEY FOR: Proposed Conservator - BORCHER, PAULA SUEREGARDING CASE: 30-2009-00291267-PR-CE-LJC - HARROD - CONSERVATORSHIP
PARTY NUMBER: MATTER: 71396772 HEARING SET FOR:09:00 AMMarch 26, 2012DEPTL73Page 2 of 3
INFORMATION REQUIRED IN CA. RULES OF COURT 7.702: NATURE AND
DIFFICULTY OF TASK, RESULTS ACHIEVED, BENEFIT TO CVTORSHIP, AMOUNT
REQUEST FOR EACH CATEGORY, HOURLY RATE OF EACH PERSON AND NUMBER OF
HOURS PERFORMED AND DETAILED DESCRIPTION OF SERVICES. (FOR PERIOD
PRIOR TO APPOINTMENT)

COURT TO DETERMINE ATTORNEY'S FEE OF $10,528.00 BASED ON 39.35
HOURS BROKEN DOWN TO 30.125 ATTORNEY HOURS AT $300 AND 9.225 HOURS AT
$150, 1.45 PARALEGAL HOURS AT $75.

TOTAL ASSESSMENTS TO ORANGE COUNTY PER PC 1851.5 WHICH HAVE NOT
BEEN PREVIOUSLY ORDERED PAID ARE AS FOLLOWS: (8/10/09) / $500.00 / /

COURT TO ORDER PAYMENT OF ACCRUED ASSESSMENTS TOTALING $500.00.
ASSESSMENTS SHOULD BE MADE PAID TO CLERK OF THE COURT, C/O PROBATE
DIVISION, P.O. BOX 14171, ORANGE, CA 92863-1571

PARTIES OR ATTORNEYS ON THIS MATTER WISHING TO REQUEST A
CONTINUANCE OR ASK QUESTIONS REGARDING THE PROBATE NOTES MAY DO SO BY
FOLLOWING THE EMAIL GUIDELINES LOCATED ON THE PROBATE NOTES WEBPAGE
LOCATED AT www.occourts.org.

NOTICE TO ATTORNEYS / PROBATE EXAMINERS NOTESATTORNEY FOR: Proposed Conservator - BORCHER, PAULA SUEREGARDING CASE: 30-2009-00291267-PR-CE-LJC - HARROD - CONSERVATORSHIP
PARTY NUMBER: MATTER: 71396772 HEARING SET FOR:09:00 AMMarch 26, 2012DEPTL73Page 3 of 3
ATTENTION: All required documents pertaining to this matter must be filed in the Probate Division of the Orange County Superior Court no later than 5 p.m., five (5) court days before the hearing. The calendar date, time and department must be written in pencil in the upper left-hand margin of all subsequent documents (such as supplements, proofs of service and notices) which relate to the matter on calendar, so that the Probate Counter Clerk will be aware that the document needs to be promptly processed. Documents which are not properly marked or timely submitted will not be reviewed for the hearing and the matter will be continued or ordered off calendar.

Bob’s daughter JuM, the wife of the last person to see Bob alive, continues to post on her community site. She sometimes posts 50 times per day: about the weather, videos she’s created, rescuing dogs, her exhaustion (she hasn’t worked in years), giving others advice, what she does and doesn’t eat, movies and music she likes, jokes of the day, starting up a crafters group, etc. She still hasn’t mentioned anything about trying to find her father or raising awareness that he’s still missing.

In a recent post, she mentions that her son Andrew, who previously filed for bankruptcy and lived in a house down the street from Bob, which I believe Bob lent him money for, has moved to a “much for affluent area than their old house.” It sounds like affluence is important to JuM. I can’t find any online property records showing that Andrew’s house near Bob was sold. I wonder where he got the money for the new house and whether he ever paid back Bob’s estate for the other house?

[snipped] …they now live in a much more affluent area than their old house, the schools are better, no need for private schools. Everything a Nana and Pops dreams of, our son and his children are happy and busy with life soaking up as much culture as they can.

[URL="http://forums.rimoftheworld.net/showthread.php?73-Running-Springs-Stits&p=44387#post44387"]http://forums.rimoftheworld.net/showthread.php?73-Running-Springs-Stits&p=44387#post44387[/URL]

This would be funny if it didnt involve the disappearance and presumed homicide of the man who made the affluence all possible. JMO.

This would be funny if it didnt involve the disappearance and presumed homicide of the man who made the affluence all possible. JMO.

Agree. Actually it makes me sick to read those posts.

http://forums.rimoftheworld.net/showthread.php?73-Running-Springs-Stits&p=44387#post44387

WOWOWOW!!!

I don't know how to link it properly but did you read the response to her post? To paraphrase, it was about being glad not to have suddenly come into a lot of money because it would mean that hordes of relatives would intend to benefit.

In light of her father's disappearance, that is one tacky, tacky response.

Or a brutally honest one.

Here are the probate notes: (the bolded in red is by me...)

NOTICE TO ATTORNEYS / PROBATE EXAMINERS NOTESSRIVASTAV, INDUATTORNEY FOR: Proposed Conservator - BORCHER, PAULA SUEREGARDING CASE: 30-2009-00291267-PR-CE-LJC - HARROD - CONSERVATORSHIP
CDD: January 12, 2012PARTY NUMBER: MATTER: 71396772 HEARING SET FOR:09:00 AMMarch 26, 2012DEPTL73Page 1 of 3

TO BE CONTINUED TO 5/7/12 PER EMAIL REQUEST FROM AARON CHARLES
GREGG. LAST CONTINUANCE WITHOUT AN APPEARANCE.

REVIEWED DATE: 02/24/12

REQUIRES ALL ORIGINAL BANK STATEMENTS FOR BEGINNING TIME PERIOD
AS OF 5/5/10 TO BE FILED WITH THE COURT. STATEMENTS PROVIDED WERE
ONLY FOR ENDING PERIOD, HOWEVER, THEY WERE NOT SUFFICIENT, AS THEY
WERE ONLY THROUGH 5/27/11.

REQUIRES ORIGINAL BANK STATEMENTS FOR EDWARD JONES THROUGH THE
ACCOUNT PERIOD OF 5/31/11, AS STATEMENTS PROVIDED ARE ONLY THOUGH
5/27/11.

COURT TO DETERMINE ATTORNEY'S FEE OF $14,257.50 MINUS PAYMENT
$3,650.12= BALANCE UNPAID OF $10,607.38 BASED ON 55.75 hours BROKEN
DOWN TO 37.4 HOURS AT $300, AND 15.85 HOURS AT $150.

COURT TO DETERMINE ATTORNEY'S FEE OF $3,690 BASED ON 12.3 hours
AT $300 PER HOUR.

REQUIRES DECLARATION IN SUPPORT OF ATTORNEY FEES SETTING FORTH

PARTY NUMBER: MATTER: 71396772 HEARING SET FOR:09:00 AMMarch 26, 2012DEPTL73Page 2 of 3
INFORMATION REQUIRED IN CA. RULES OF COURT 7.702: NATURE AND
DIFFICULTY OF TASK, RESULTS ACHIEVED, BENEFIT TO CVTORSHIP, AMOUNT
REQUEST FOR EACH CATEGORY, HOURLY RATE OF EACH PERSON AND NUMBER OF
HOURS PERFORMED AND DETAILED DESCRIPTION OF SERVICES. (FOR PERIOD
PRIOR TO APPOINTMENT)

COURT TO DETERMINE ATTORNEY'S FEE OF $10,528.00 BASED ON 39.35
HOURS BROKEN DOWN TO 30.125 ATTORNEY HOURS AT $300 AND 9.225 HOURS AT
$150, 1.45 PARALEGAL HOURS AT $75.

TOTAL ASSESSMENTS TO ORANGE COUNTY PER PC 1851.5 WHICH HAVE NOT
BEEN PREVIOUSLY ORDERED PAID ARE AS FOLLOWS: (8/10/09) / $500.00 / /

COURT TO ORDER PAYMENT OF ACCRUED ASSESSMENTS TOTALING $500.00.
ASSESSMENTS SHOULD BE MADE PAID TO CLERK OF THE COURT, C/O PROBATE
DIVISION, P.O. BOX 14171, ORANGE, CA 92863-1571

PARTIES OR ATTORNEYS ON THIS MATTER WISHING TO REQUEST A
CONTINUANCE OR ASK QUESTIONS REGARDING THE PROBATE NOTES MAY DO SO BY
FOLLOWING THE EMAIL GUIDELINES LOCATED ON THE PROBATE NOTES WEBPAGE
LOCATED AT www.occourts.org.

PARTY NUMBER: MATTER: 71396772 HEARING SET FOR:09:00 AMMarch 26, 2012DEPTL73Page 3 of 3
ATTENTION: All required documents pertaining to this matter must be filed in the Probate Division of the Orange County Superior Court no later than 5 p.m., five (5) court days before the hearing. The calendar date, time and department must be written in pencil in the upper left-hand margin of all subsequent documents (such as supplements, proofs of service and notices) which relate to the matter on calendar, so that the Probate Counter Clerk will be aware that the document needs to be promptly processed. Documents which are not properly marked or timely submitted will not be reviewed for the hearing and the matter will be continued or ordered off calendar.

I don't totally understand what all of the above is about but the portion Believe09 placed in red seems to indicate that the judge may just be starting to warm up to the "straighten up and fly right or else" point.

WOWOWOW!!!

I don't know how to link it properly but did you read the response to her post? To paraphrase, it was about being glad not to have suddenly come into a lot of money because it would mean that hordes of relatives would intend to benefit.

In light of her father's disappearance, that is one tacky, tacky response.

Or a brutally honest one.

Here is the post before the one where she says her son moved to a more affluent area. I guess the long list of Bob's things she wanted from his house is an example of how not to be greedy?
I was with a group at City of Hope, played with them every week, I was in with the group, but I was in the Caribbean they won $67 Million dollars, yes I could have fought it as they were all in the news and their names, but I chose not to (I was a bit frustrated but I never asked). I watched each of their lives turn into trash, all their husbands divorced them so they could get half, the were hounded by every car dealership, every company you can think of for money, they had people they had not seen in years show up and try to be their friends again. Nope I am glad I did not ask to be acknowledged, now those 20 years have past and all the winners that got used to living on the yearly checks are probably bankrupt.

Over the past three years I have seen the same type of greed from complete strangers, I want no part of that! I am content with our life. Yes some extra money would help everyone but money most of the time is evil, in this case it is.

Life is to be enjoyed with simplicity, good friends and happiness. If it is meant to fall in your lap it will, be the best person and friend you can be, your life will be rewarding. Make it simple folks!
http://forums.rimoftheworld.net/showthread.php?73-Running-Springs-Stits/page99

Here is the post before the one where she says her son moved to a more affluent area. I guess the long list of Bob's things she wanted from his house is an example of how not to be greedy?
I was with a group at City of Hope, played with them every week, I was in with the group, but I was in the Caribbean they won $67 Million dollars, yes I could have fought it as they were all in the news and their names, but I chose not to (I was a bit frustrated but I never asked). I watched each of their lives turn into trash, all their husbands divorced them so they could get half, the were hounded by every car dealership, every company you can think of for money, they had people they had not seen in years show up and try to be their friends again. Nope I am glad I did not ask to be acknowledged, now those 20 years have past and all the winners that got used to living on the yearly checks are probably bankrupt.

Over the past three years I have seen the same type of greed from complete strangers, I want no part of that! I am content with our life. Yes some extra money would help everyone but money most of the time is evil, in this case it is.

Life is to be enjoyed with simplicity, good friends and happiness. If it is meant to fall in your lap it will, be the best person and friend you can be, your life will be rewarding. Make it simple folks!
http://forums.rimoftheworld.net/showthread.php?73-Running-Springs-Stits/page99

How 'bout keeping it simple by not being so greedy with the timeline, and the secret home repairs? Apparently she's convinced herself her words speak louder than her actions.

:thud:

She is being brutally honest-the pursuit of the money in her father's case these last 3 years, in lieu mind you of the pursuit of his person, is evil.

For once, JuM and I are of a like mind.

Getting back to the probate notes-it is clear that the counsel for the co conservators did not file adequate documents. They seem to have not only skipped a whole year of the agreed upon time frame, the documents dont appear to have been original. If I am reading this correctly.

And then there are those atty fees. Well, when I spent some time a hundred years ago in financial services, we had investment managers and brokers who would churn accounts. For those of you unfamiliar with the concept, the money managers would constantly initiate buys and sells on assets in order to generate management fees.

So I have to ask myself, if this paperwork has dragged on for the better part of two years and it all comes down to, at this point, deliberately filing documents that either arent original and/or missing an entire year for the audit period...well I have to wonder who benefits from that. Then I look at the atty's fees that have accumulated for what essentially is doing an administrative subpoena at most, I would think, to Edward Jones et al to get statements for the agreed upon time period and filing them with the court...I mean wow.

Am I the only one who is somewhat puzzled by what might be the motivation here?

So, objectively speaking, the co conservators might benefit if there is something to hide that they dont want uncovered hence the deliberate shortcomings of the filings. OR, the co conservators are hoping to keep this probate case in a constant state of inefficiency...which I would think would breech their fiduciary responsibility, but what do I know. After all the money IS.NOT.THEIRS.

Now, if we give the co conservators a pass here, their atty's are certainly accumulating quite a bill for something that seems to be oh so simple.

IIRC, I once read something online that indicated that Mr Gregg was adept at the kind of shell game most probate cases seem to be made of:
http://www.fullertonsfuture.org/2010/aaron-gregg-wriggles-out-from-under-his-taxes-with-a-quick-bankruptcy/

The comments here are particularly brutal, but then again it was during an election and people get heated. There may be nothing to this story at all, which would be a relief to the co conservators I am sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member