CA CA - Bryce Laspisa, 19, Castaic, 30 Aug 2013 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not usually the one with the gloomy outlook, but my first thought was suicide; I hope it's way off base. The main reason, I think, is the dogs following his scent to the edge of the lake. It immediately made me wonder if that was why he decided to break up with his girlfriend, and crashed his vehicle. If he had purposely crashed trying to commit suicide, but lived through it, he may have gone into the lake to finish it. If so, they might have to look closer to the middle of the lake than they expected.

My first instincts are often right, but I'm hoping this time they're just a result of me being in a lousy mood. MOO

This was my first thought too. :(

The suicide theory is heartbreaking... but who knows? I keep hoping maybe he went to the lake to wash off because he got dirty getting out of his car or something.

Nothing about this makes sense and it's so frustrating.

It's nice to have a breath of positivity, I hadn't even considered him going to the lake to clean up.

Some worrying details in that timeline. Snipped:

10 p.m. Wednesday - Bryce reportedly tries to break up with his girlfriend. Friends, concerned about his behavior, take away his car keys.

12:30 p.m. Thursday - Karen Laspisa calls serviceman Christian and asks about her son. He tells her he appears “OK” but adds: “His eyes look a little red.” Bryce does not answer his cell phone.

Between 2:08 a.m. and 5 a.m. Friday - Bryce makes three trips to the crash site – the last trip ending with the crash, according to what his mother described as surveillance footage captured by cameras set up near Castaic Lake.

It sounds unfortunately to me as though he may have been going back and forth in his mind about what to do, and his family/friends had reason to be concerned about him. :(

Hopefully I'm just being too negative. I just don't like the signs.

I agree that the report of Bryce returning to the crash site multiple times concerns me, too...

However... I hope he is found safe and sound after a couple of days of "clearing his head"...

:please:

If he had the state of mind to get the tool to knock out the window, I wonder why he would just wander off. I wonder if his phone was working or if all the things were ruined by water. I read this and couldn't tell how much of the car was under water or if any of it was.

Wow! This case reminds me a lot of Maura Murray's disappearance. While researching her disappearance, I've read a lot of stories about young men and women that disappeared from crash sites. Unfortunately, many of them were found in water sources nearby, so the crash combined with the proximity of the lake is very concerning to me.

Either I haven't been reading as thoroughly as usual or this is new (to me)

http://www.myfoxla.com/story/23324272/have-you-seen-this-teen-parents-search-near-castaic

I believe it was reported earlier that the car was found at the bottom of a 15 foot ravine...

and that it was found overturned at the boat launch at Castaic Lake...

It is difficult for me to imagine a ravine would be so close to a boat launch as there needs to be quite a bit of space for boaters to jostle their boats from boat trailers hooked to cars... Then into the water...:waitasec:

Additionally... The FOX article above reports that Bryce attends the Sierra College in Rocklin...

I wonder if the reporting is correct... Since a poster up thread shared with us that there is a Sierra College campus in Chico, too...

Just some things to think about...

and... All JMO...

Oh dear, having read all the updates and links I fear the worst. Strange behavior, red eyes, 3 trips to the lake...it IMO seems to be a case of self harm.

Could there have been a gun in the duffel bag? Could he have walked to the lake then backtracked and wandered off to shoot himself in the woods?

Sorry, just thinking out loud. So many discrepancies make it hard.

BTW I want to say well done to his friends who were concerned enough to take his car keys. It seems as though they truly cared about his well being and were trying to do the right thing.

Hmmm - I am looking at pictures of him on his Instagram account and he is just a 19 year old boy/young man..

I hope he is ok somewhere. I don't have a theory yet but I wonder if he had been drinking or anything (at that age - I know I was dabbling a bit with pot!) and was involved with an accident and had someone pick him up but as I'm typing this, I remember the phone was left in his car. I didn't look at pictures of the vehicle yet so I wonder how severe the damage was.

Off to look for more - baffled.

Hmmm - I am looking at pictures of him on his Instagram account and he is just a 19 year old boy/young man..

I hope he is ok somewhere. I don't have a theory yet but I wonder if he had been drinking or anything (at that age - I know I was dabbling a bit with pot!) and was involved with an accident and had someone pick him up but as I'm typing this, I remember the phone was left in his car. I didn't look at pictures of the vehicle yet so I wonder how severe the damage was.

Off to look for more - baffled.

I can't help thinking there may have been some alcohol or ? Involved, too...

No judgement here... There was a bit of "recreational drinking" in my college years at his age, too...

Could he possibly be "hiding out".... afraid he might get "in trouble"... For drinking and wrecking the car?

I believe the car he was driving belongs to his parents...

JMO

No judgement here... There was a bit of "recreational drinking" in my college years at his age, too...

Could he possibly be "hiding out".... afraid he might get "in trouble"... For drinking and wrecking the car?

JMO

Definitely a possibility. Without pointing fingers or naming names, I see posts about alcohol on affiliated Instagram pages. At that age it happens. I had an intern a couple of months this summer - she was this 19 year old, college sophomore at FSU (brilliant, beautiful, quiet) and I was blown away that she acknowledged drinking.

I'm sure this was already posted but just in case..

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Search-Goes-Cold-for-Missing-College-Student-222119091.html

Search efforts of the ground have halted and the missing person's case has been turned over to homicide detectives. At this point, Pena said authorities are relying on the public's help to find Laspisa.

:gasp:

When I read this thread at 4:35 a.m. half sleepy - My first thought was that the car was staged. Somehow reminded me of the case that was here a couple of months ago --his name is escaping me as I didn't follow intently but IIRC, someone killed him and staged his car going off of a cliff or something. All over a girl, I believe.

I know this was already posted but I didn't even catch it myself - so I'm posting again -

On Wednesday at about 1:30 p.m., Bryce told his mother he was going to break up with his girlfriend with whom he “had been so in love” for the past five months, she said.

She also received information that Bryce had taken a pill — or pills — normally prescribed for children suffering from attention deficit disorder.

When she told him she was going to fly up to the college to see him, he reportedly said: “Mom, do not make any flight. I have a lot to talk to you about.’”

pills... ugh - not good.

The timeline in this article apparently is off and there are comments, one of which is his girlfriend. Also, when I was first reading, I assumed that he was breaking up with his girlfriend but based on what his mom said, it was odd that he would break up with her as he had been "so in love" for the past 5 months. Seems pretty eratic.

JMO

You know I keep coming back to a similar train of thought. I'm 25 and I could see a lot of my friends doing something like that. The elaborate schemes they've come up with to hide things from them are just amazing. All just to keep from disappointing their parents.

I think he's going through an odd time of transition at that age. I think it's very possible he was drunk or otherwise impaired. That's why he stopped on the side of the road... to sober up not just to sleep. He was driving around trying to get sober enough to go home and the accident happened. There was blood in the car so he at least has a minor wound. Got out of the car got really dirty esp since blood can be rather sticky and looking at that crash site he'd defiantly get pretty dirty. Goes to clean up at bit at the lake and calls a friend or someone to pick him up and off to hiding he goes. He thinks give it a day or so and then boom police and everything else involved. Now he's in over his head and doesn't know what to do.

Question: do they turn cases where there are substantial blood loss and accident (where there is no way a person survived) over to homicide until they can find the body and determine it was suicide?

This reads like a suicide. Now, the bit about the pills - Im going to assume it's either adderall or vyvanse. both are highly abused recreationally and are meant for adhd/add.
no one takes ritalin anymore. But that can explain how he was awake and driving around so long - but it doesn't explain him getting lost. When you're on that med, you are hyper aware and focused. He must've been on a high enough dose to be noticeable though, and so his odd behavior sounds a lot like tweaking, which causes odd repetitive behavior and irrational thoughts. More so if he just dabbled and had no real tolerance built up. It's legalized speed for those that don't require it. It's an amphetamine.

The back windshield could have been busted out from a rather traumatic crash. If he had the intention of killing himself - he wouldn't have been secured in his seatbelt (unless by habit) and it's possible it landed rear first with him being projected out of the car and breaking the back windshield. The bag being towards the back could be from the fall and the unzipped part could be for numerous reasons.

Now I wonder, if they do believe it's a homicide - they have something on surveillance and possibly something on the gas peddle - but where is his body? I can't see someone pushing the car over to stage a suicide and yet removing the body first. defeats the purpose to staging.

Definitely a possibility. Without pointing fingers or naming names, I see posts about alcohol on affiliated Instagram pages. At that age it happens. I had an intern a couple of months this summer - she was this 19 year old, college sophomore at FSU (brilliant, beautiful, quiet) and I was blown away that she acknowledged drinking.

I'm sure this was already posted but just in case..

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Search-Goes-Cold-for-Missing-College-Student-222119091.html

Search efforts of the ground have halted and the missing person's case has been turned over to homicide detectives. At this point, Pena said authorities are relying on the public's help to find Laspisa.

:gasp:

When I read this thread at 4:35 a.m. half sleepy - My first thought was that the car was staged. Somehow reminded me of the case that was here a couple of months ago --his name is escaping me as I didn't follow intently but IIRC, someone killed him and staged his car going off of a cliff or something. All over a girl, I believe.

I'm confused! It sounded like they had videos of Bryce driving to and from the cliff area as if he was trying to make up his mind. If they have evidence of him driving the car (presumably alone), then why turn the case over to homicide detectives?! There must be some other evidence that points to a staged scene.

And yes, he very well could have been impaired if it was him driving. IMO.

If they believe a death is involved I think homicide would take the case to determine under what circumstances, i.e accident, suicide, homicide, JMO.

If they believe a death is involved I think homicide would take the case to determine under what circumstances, i.e accident, suicide, homicide, JMO.

I am not positive, but I believe that to be true.

I'm not a local to this. Who can we tweet @ to get/keep media interested in the case?

Thanks for clarifying! This makes much more sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sidsloth