CA CA - Bryce Laspisa, 19, Castaic, 30 Aug 2013 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
One question about this article: why would it be the jurisdiction of the Long Beach Homocide unit? Neither Laguna Niguel, nor Castaic is near Long Beach, so why would they be the ones to handle it? Why isn't the Santa Clarita Sheriff's Dep't. in charge? Unless, he was murdered in Long Beach and transported to Castaic Lake???

Thanks Linas for asking this. I read Long Beach Homicide to start with and went back twice and couldn't find it to reference it again. This was my questions as well. Why Long Beach Homicide? Laguna Niguel is in Orange County where his family lives, and he crashed in Los Angeles County, near Santa Clarita. So why isn't the local PD agency covering this??? I have no idea why Long Beach would be involved in any way, shape or form jurisdictionally. What are we missing here??? What happened in Long Beach to make it their case???

If he had the state of mind to get the tool to knock out the window, I wonder why he would just wander off. I wonder if his phone was working or if all the things were ruined by water. I read this and couldn't tell how much of the car was under water or if any of it was.

I don't think any of the vehicle was under water. I saw a news cast (can't remember which channel) that showed some broken tail lights on the ground. Looks like there's a 15 foot drop (cliff) and he landed on a lower road that leads to a boat ramp but didn't land near the water. I'm guessing just based on broken tail lights that camera focused on, not for certain..

So maybe the pic from fb is of the lower road that he landed on and not the road he was driving on?

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd....x720/1239525_622492214452038_1020632128_n.jpg
1239525_622492214452038_1020632128_n.jpg

https://sphotos-b-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/q83/s720x720/1175176_622497677784825_852310749_n.jpg
1175176_622497677784825_852310749_n.jpg

So maybe the pic from fb is of the lower road that he landed on and not the road he was driving on?

I'm not sure if its the same photo as what was on the news cast. Here's a link to the news cast the broken tail lights and road are in the very beginning, then shows more scenery half way through. http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Search-Goes-Cold-for-Missing-College-Student-222119091.html

Also, the ADHD medicine...it's an upper. Many college students use it to help with studying, however when it's abused it's just like meth. If he was abusing this medicine, AND not sleeping, those two factors combined could cause him hallucinations, confusion, agitation, all sorts of bizarre side effects which would explain his 3 trips to the lake. Add to that a head injury after the accident and, well lets just hope he wandered off and hitched a ride from someone. My thought on the open bag near the back window is that he had a bottle of pills with someone else's name on prescription and didn't want to get them in trouble, or maybe he is addicted to pills and took what was most important to him (the drugs) and then went in search of help? Just thinking out loud. Hope and pray he is found soon and safe!

One question about this article: why would it be the jurisdiction of the Long Beach Homocide unit? Neither Laguna Niguel, nor Castaic is near Long Beach, so why would they be the ones to handle it? Why isn't the Santa Clarita Sheriff's Dep't. in charge? Unless, he was murdered in Long Beach and transported to Castaic Lake???

There isn't really a Santa Clarita Sheriff's Dept. I believe Santa Clarita is covered by Los Angeles County Sheriff's Dept. There are many different stations within the LA County Sheriff's Dept. Why Long Beach Station??? Good Question!

I can't get this boys face out of my head. It's all so strange but I'm hoping that he will surface. Otherwise, I feel really bleak about it.

College Student Was Subject of Earlier Missing Persons Report

Dive teams returned to Castaic Lake ...

Teams searched the area throughout the weekend and into this week. The seach [sic] team included divers, horseback riders and aerial and canine units.

Laspisa is 5-feet-11, 170 pounds with red hair and blue eyes. He has a tattoo of a Taurus bull head and Roman numeral on his left shoulder.

He was last seen wearing white cargo shorts, a blue and white checkered shirt and red Nikes shoes.

Contact 323-890-5500 with information.

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Bryce-Laspisa-Missing-Person-Castaic-Lake-222226581.html

Does this mean that when LE caught up with Bryce in Buttonwillow, he was acting normally and they left him alone? Hard to believe given the timeline, IMO.

I wouldn't think too much into Long Beach getting the case. Since there was no specific group that should of been assigned to it I'm sure they just gave it to whoever could handle it best. IE: Long Beach might have a lesser case load and therefore can devote more time to the case ect. Obviously I know nothing about nothing, but that's my take on it.

I feel like he's alive. I don't know why but I really really do. I have considered the high possibility of being wrong, especially after all this time, but I really feel like he's alive somewhere.

Details like this are always hard to come by. There is no other road he could have fallen onto as far as I can tell on Google Maps, maybe a cliff into the brush, but not another road. The road that he was driving on started and ended at the same road: Lake Hughes Rd.

Someone suggested earlier that he may have been driving in a loop. This road is "kind of" a loop, but you have to get back onto the main road to get back into the loop -- it isn't a circle around the lake.

The reporting on this has been a mess, but it looks like it is starting to get better. They made it sound like he had driven from Chico to Santa Clarita in 3 hours while also running out of gas near Bakersfield. There was also zero mention of the long period of time he spent in Buttonwillow (about 9 hours). He claimed he was hanging out with friends.

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Bryce-Laspisa-Missing-Person-Castaic-Lake-222226581.html

earlier mpr? confusing.. such a handsome young man. I hope he is safe somewhere.

Very confusing title, but it was from the same incident.

From your link:

Authorities said Tuesday that Laspisa -- he was traveling from Roseville to visit his family, about 400 miles away in Orange County -- was the subject of an earlier missing person report by family members, who contacted the Orange County Sheriff's Department Thursday. Kern County Sheriff's deputies found the 19-year-old later that night in Buttonwillow and he was removed from the missing persons statewide database.

Not sure who's doing all the talking that is causing all the confusion in reporting. Maybe some reporters are just getting snippets here and there and making a story of their own.
I also wonder if there were tracks down that "cliff" that showed for sure he came down it?? I think this was a very confused young man and if he took meds, maybe it made things worse. Meds don't always do what they are supposed to. I worked with late 20s to early 30s people who took those ADHD meds and borrowed from others if they left theirs at home. This was in a large busy office setting and they would get stressed and antsy if they had none.
I'm fearful he's in the lake of his own doing and hope I'm wrong.

Details like this are always hard to come by. There is no other road he could have fallen onto as far as I can tell on Google Maps, maybe a cliff into the brush, but not another road. The road that he was driving on started and ended at the same road: Lake Hughes Rd.

Someone suggested earlier that he may have been driving in a loop. This road is "kind of" a loop, but you have to get back onto the main road to get back into the loop -- it isn't a circle around the lake.

The reporting on this has been a mess, but it looks like it is starting to get better. They made it sound like he had driven from Chico to Santa Clarita in 3 hours while also running out of gas near Bakersfield. There was also zero mention of the long period of time he spent in Buttonwillow (about 9 hours). He claimed he was hanging out with friends.

From my understanding, he rolled off of Lake Hughes Road and onto the parking lot / "driveway" of the boat ramp. That would explain the 15 foot ravine they keep talking about.

If the markings were on Lake Hughes Road, that may have just been marking where they think he went off the road.

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=prgsst53gc30&lvl=20.01&dir=0.8&sty=b&form=LMLTCC

http://binged.it/14q3I69

Sorry, I couldn't figure out how to get the links to show as actual pictures... maybe someone else can repost them so they are able to be seen without clicking on them?

I see so many cases here on WS that involve young men in their late-teens and early twenties who seem to struggle with become very agitated and non-sensical prior to disappearing. This is often an age when mental illnesses can show up.

I wonder if Bryce could have been suffering from any mental health issues, and was possibly trying to self-medicate with the ADHD medication?

Just some thoughts. I hope he is found safe! The more time passes, the more worried for him I become.

I wouldn't think too much into Long Beach getting the case. Since there was no specific group that should of been assigned to it I'm sure they just gave it to whoever could handle it best. IE: Long Beach might have a lesser case load and therefore can devote more time to the case ect. Obviously I know nothing about nothing, but that's my take on it.

I feel like he's alive. I don't know why but I really really do. I have considered the high possibility of being wrong, especially after all this time, but I really feel like he's alive somewhere.
I have never heard of this happening. Southern California is a very big place. The jurisdiction where a crime was committed is whom is assigned to handle it, in this case the specific group would have been the L.A county Sherriff's Dept. Castaic Lake is over an hour away from Long Beach (traffic aside) and also not close to Laguna Niguel either. I'm from L.A. originally, I know of what I'm talking about place-wise.

From my understanding, he rolled off of Lake Hughes Road and onto the parking lot / "driveway" of the boat ramp. That would explain the 15 foot ravine they keep talking about.

If the markings were on Lake Hughes Road, that may have just been marking where they think he went off the road.

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=prgsst53gc30&lvl=20.01&dir=0.8&sty=b&form=LMLTCC

http://binged.it/14q3I69
Boat launches can be steep, but 15' ravine??? IDK, maybe one of our locals can tell us...

Very confusing title, but it was from the same incident.

From your link:

Authorities said Tuesday that Laspisa -- he was traveling from Roseville to visit his family, about 400 miles away in Orange County -- was the subject of an earlier missing person report by family members, who contacted the Orange County Sheriff's Department Thursday. Kern County Sheriff's deputies found the 19-year-old later that night in Buttonwillow and he was removed from the missing persons statewide database.
So, we gather that he traveled back down from Buttonwillow to Castaic, but by then noone was looking for him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member