CA CA - Bryce Laspisa, 19, Castaic, 30 Aug 2013 - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking family was told more than what's been released, and thus the lack of 'activity' lately.

Agreed! Buttonwillow is a smelly town (smells like cow poop) that's only good for getting gas, fast food, and maybe a motel if you have to. Been there many a time...

To be fair, sometimes it smells like oil drilling + cow poop. It does have a range of scents... :) The only reason I've been there is for my husband's racing because there's a fairly popular road course track there. It's probably in my top 5 of least favorite places to go, though.

I can imagine stopping there for gas, a soda, or whatever, but I can't imagine just "hanging out" unless you have a reason to. Wish we knew more about why he went there or what happened (or didn't happen) there.

Thanks for the smelly descriptions of Buttonwillow! With those lovely smells, I can't imagine eating or drinking, other than water, anything or anywhere near that town. Oil drilling + cow poop smells wouldn't be whetting my appetite. JMO

With that said, how was BL able to stay, what was it, ~11 hours in Buttonwillow? He must have had a purpose there to put up with that stench. Wouldn't that stench still enter the cockpit area of the car with A/C running and windows closed?

If it were me and I absolutely had to stop to sleep there, I would stay the minimum amount of time possible, even if it meant driving after a short period of time to a place a little further down the road, past the stench, where there was fresh air to stop and sleep more if needed.

Oh the smell of Buttonwillow!! Haha manure+oil is the perfect description of that nastiness!!!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I've finally caught up on all three threads, one of my first thoughts is along the lines with one of the later ones in this thread, that he's heading back to Ill. One of the articles that had a short interview with his former roommate said he'd been evicted from the dorm and their (that roommate and Bryce's) relationship 'didn't end well', and that he transferred to this school he was going to for a fresh start.

Maybe he didn't feel it was all that much bettter and with the way his Mom (no offense intended at all) was pinging his phone and sending the roadside assistance/cops to check up on him, maybe he finally said enough, found a place to ditch the vehicle and took off. Still seems a very stange way to do it if intentional, but heading back to where things felt normal and good seems sorta likely for a young adult whose very out of sorts.

But, I also recall a couple of male friends about Bryce's age I had long ago, they took a trip from the north down to Florida for spring break, once in Fl. they had an argument and one friend left the car, wandered the beach until he got sunstroke and was taken to a local hospital by beach patrol, no ID, he was too out of it to know who or where he was, they put in him the psych ward and gave him thorazine and other drugs thinking he had mental issues.

It took his family weeks to track him down and get him back home and slowly off the meds, he was never a psych case, just sun-brained, after some months back home he returned to his normal self.

I know they alerted local hospitals and such, but wonder if they checked all the (what do they call them - 5150 holds?) to be sure he's not being treated as a homeless person with mental problems.

About the vehicle going nose or tail first - LE will know what gear the gear shift was in, so that ought to be a big clue in what the driver was doing (going forward or backward) when it went down the embankment. May be why LE has said it went nose first.

Would like to see pics of the vehicle as it was found, and also the DNA results.

My guess is he had some cash stashed in the duffle bag and took it, if he'd taken his wallet, phone or laptop and was planning to hitch back to Ill. (or anywhere else), any cop who stopped him would know his identity and alert his parents. Good enough reason to leave them if he had cash in the duffle to take.

I think he had to break the back window to get to the duffle bag, not to get out of the vehicle. I'm not terribly convinced he was in it when it rolled down the embankment.

I had some other thoughts while reading though all the posts but this is already a novella so I'll quit here for now.

The thought about what gear the vehicle was in when found was very insightful. What if he thought about driving into the lake but couldn't find access since it was closed? Could he have thought that the drop off from the cell tower was steeper in the dark? Drove off the cliff into the lake but came up short? Wished we knew if the blood was his. Dragracerz if you are reading our thoughts please know that we all hope that Bryce is found alive and well. When we don't hear from you we speculate that bad news is coming. Please update us when you can.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Ok, lets clear some things up here !

LE stated that their findings were that Bryce left the Castaic park area BECAUSE the bloodhounds followed his scent leading out of the park. Not too difficult to understand that.

Bryce has NOT been found in any rehab or institution or anywhere else "hiding out" or NOT wanting to be found. If LE knew where he was, we would know he was safe
I need the verified attorney following this case on here to chime in, we were told that because Bryce is still listed as Critical Missing Person, if he were to be found, his parents would be notified - EVEN IF HE DIDNT WANT TO BE FOUND.

As stated by Caron, it was Vyvanse not Adderall, I thought Vyvanse was generic for Adderall, it is the same type of medication

I don't know why it is taking so long for forensics to process the laptop or cell phone, I am not a techno geek but think that it should take no more than a couple of days to process these.

Summary:
LE states that the case / search is active. Their search of Castaic lake is pretty much complete but are leaving that door open in case something in the laptop / phone would lead them to believe that divers need to go back to the water or dogs/searchers need to canvass the grounds.
The family is still hopeful that he is alive, whether injured, confused, embarrassed or as some of you speculate "hiding out". Whatever the case may be, we want to find him and will do whatever it takes to do so.

Although it is now day 19, and I am understanding that if he were to be walking around "confused" that someone would have seen him, I still think that he might have been taken in by someone who gave him food/shelter and then he left on his own or maybe (because he know no better) is still there. I CANNOT believe that there are still so many people in the Castaic area that still never heard of Bryce with all the activity there, so I can imagine that it is less known in other areas.

Friday is a big truck turnaround in that area and it will be hit hard by volunteers on Friday to see if maybe someone picked him up shortly after the crash

So I think this is a good time for all of us to put our heads together and do a reality check. I'm starting here with what dragracerz told us in this update.

I think we should rule out things not read into anything like hearsay.

bloodhounds followed his scent leading out of the park From what I'm seeing I don't think he is in the lake, the park, or in the town of Castaic. If he was I think he would have been found or seen by now.

I need the verified attorney following this case on here to chime in
What? Why? No offense drag but that sounds very leading, like you want info or clues? Not sure what is needed in "chime in".

Vyvanse not Adderall WTH, at this point it really does not matter cause we don't know if he was on it or anything for sure on this trip or coming down, how much he might have taken. Don't get me wrong, I think it may have played a part but until we know more let's rule out the extreme possibilities here.

laptop or cell phone Let's face it kids LE will never let that out until he is found. Even if they tell the family, I'm sure they won't share all of it. I think they have found something but are not sharing on purpose.

someone who gave him food/shelter Back to he has not been seen or found or body found. He may have planned for someone to pick him up or he hitched out of the area and is hiding with someone.

I think BL has been going through a lot in his life as of late and reached some kind of a personal breaking point. One of my thoughts has been about his real father and that side of the family. I have put this out there before but it has gone on noticed as irrelevant. It may not be the breaking point for BL but he hit some kind of a wall and went over the edge. The wreck my have been his last straw or the finale. May have been a plan on a whim or was waiting in Buttonwillow for the next step in the plan, like someone to back him up or whatever.

So I don't think he is in the area and he must have help or shelter of some kind.

Anything else we can rule out????

IMO the lake or the surrounding area cannot be ruled out. Have seen other cases over the years where repeated searches of both land and water did not find the victim and yet, later, they were found and had been there all along. Bodies do not always surface, if they are entangled for instance, nor are they always found in areas with dense brush, etc.
Sometimes cars are not even found in water during searches, and yet are later found.

Not saying he is dead and has to be there in that area, but honestly, it seems more likely than him panhandling for a living among the homeless, or having been picked up and cared for by a trucker for weeks. And if he had arranged to meet someone, LE should have records on his phone and probably would not have searched as long as they did. I doubt this kid had a second phone, as it sounds like all of his money came from his parents.
Anyway, all just my opinion, obviously.

IMO the lake or the surrounding area cannot be ruled out. Have seen other cases over the years where repeated searches of both land and water did not find the victim and yet, later, they were found and had been there all along. Bodies do not always surface, if they are entangled for instance, nor are they always found in areas with dense brush, etc.
Sometimes cars are not even found in water during searches, and yet are later found.

Not saying he is dead and has to be there in that area, but honestly, it seems more likely than him panhandling for a living among the homeless, or having been picked up and cared for by a trucker for weeks. And if he had arranged to meet someone, LE should have records on his phone and probably would not have searched as long as they did. I doubt this kid had a second phone, as it sounds like all of his money came from his parents.
Anyway, all just my opinion, obviously.

I was thinking picked up by someone he knew rather than by chance

Thanks for the smelly descriptions of Buttonwillow! With those lovely smells, I can't imagine eating or drinking, other than water, anything or anywhere near that town. Oil drilling + cow poop smells wouldn't be whetting my appetite. JMO

With that said, how was BL able to stay, what was it, ~11 hours in Buttonwillow? He must have had a purpose there to put up with that stench. Wouldn't that stench still enter the cockpit area of the car with A/C running and windows closed?

If it were me and I absolutely had to stop to sleep there, I would stay the minimum amount of time possible, even if it meant driving after a short period of time to a place a little further down the road, past the stench, where there was fresh air to stop and sleep more if needed.

haha you're welcome, I think. Sorry to ruin your appetite. :) The smells must filter out somewhat easily because when staying in motels there I've found it's fine inside, but the second you open the door it's really bad.

As far as Bryce's car, maybe he had the "recirculate" thing on for the air? I think you must kind of get used to it or no one would live there at all... although 10ish hours is a pretty short amount of time to get used to it. Buttonwillow just seems like such an unlikely spot to stop for so many hours. It really makes me wonder why he stopped there.

I was thinking picked up by someone he knew rather than by chance

But then there would be a record of a call or text? And if there is such a record, would LE search so extensively? They have his actual phone, so would be able to see messages, as far as I know.

I wonder if family is intentionally backing off media, FB and WS in order to purposefully quiet things down so as to give a possibly "hiding" BL a quieter opportunity to make himself known???

That's all I've got for now. :(

You may very well be onto something there! The way his family included "embarrassed" in the things that Bryce may be experiencing, made me realize they accept the possibility he could be fully aware of all the efforts made to locate him.

Frankly, it would have humiliated me at that age. I HOPE I would have come forward as early as possible to ward off even more efforts, but I honestly don't know what I would have done. And like kmw461 posted (I think her son asked her about this) if I were a 19 yr old I would probably wonder if I was going to be held responsible for any of this. Can anyone answer that question?

Are there laws about hiding out purposefully without letting LE know if they are searching for you? I'm hoping LE already knows where he is and has already communicated with him. But just in case they haven't...I'm wondering, what would be Bryce's next best move IF he was hiding out of his own will?

But then there would be a record of a call or text? And if there is such a record, would LE search so extensively? They have his actual phone, so would be able to see messages, as far as I know.

They may have found something and that is why the search has stopped and now they are just posting fliers. This seemed to go very cold fast right after the family meet with LE on Tuesday.

You may very well be onto something there! The way his family included "embarrassed" in the things that Bryce may be experiencing, made me realize they accept the possibility he could be fully aware of all the efforts made to locate him.

Frankly, it would have humiliated me at that age. I HOPE I would have come forward as early as possible to ward off even more efforts, but I honestly don't know what I would have done. And like kmw461 posted (I think her son asked her about this) if I were a 19 yr old I would probably wonder if I was going to be held responsible for any of this. Can anyone answer that question?

Are there laws about hiding out purposefully without letting LE know if they are searching for you? I'm hoping LE already knows where he is and has already communicated with him. But just in case they haven't...I'm wondering, what would be Bryce's next best move IF he was hiding out of his own will?

Yes, you are correct. My son asked if Bryce was intentionally hiding out if he would be "in trouble". I don't really know the answer to that. The only story I can remember is that woman who got cold feet right before her wedding, ran off and claimed that she had been kidnapped. She was ordered to pay restitution for all of the resources that were expended in the search for her.

Yes, you are correct. My son asked if Bryce was intentionally hiding out if he would be "in trouble". I don't really know the answer to that. The only story I can remember is that woman who got cold feet right before her wedding, ran off and claimed that she had been kidnapped. She was ordered to pay restitution for all of the resources that were expended in the search for her.

I think its a very valid question. I have a 19 yr old brother and I really think this is something he would worry about as well. And honestly, if he thought he was going to be in trouble, he just might continue to hide. :(

I didn't know about this "runaway bride" story! Yikes!

A nineteen-year could be held responsible for charges incurred in a search, seeing how he is certainly old enough to be charged with all major crimes. A person is allowed to go missing, but it becomes a different story once they know they have been reported missing and that public dollars are being spent to find them.

I just noticed from thread #1 dragracerz post #588 "I cannot comment on the laptop"

CA CA - Bryce Laspisa, 19, Castaic, 30 Aug 2013 - #1 - Page 24 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community
Originally Posted by Quester

BBM and jumping off your post ...

@ dragracerz: Was Bryce's driver's seat belt cut? Any seat belt in the SUV cut? TIA

I don't know. Car is still impounded by LASD. The only thing(s) released to my sister was his cell phone and maybe his laptop

The cell phone showed nothing unusual

I cannot comment on the laptop

I just noticed from thread #1 dragracerz post #588 "I cannot comment on the laptop"

CA CA - Bryce Laspisa, 19, Castaic, 30 Aug 2013 - #1 - Page 24 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

I don't know. Car is still impounded by LASD. The only thing(s) released to my sister was his cell phone and maybe his laptop

The cell phone showed nothing unusual

I cannot comment on the laptop

FWIW I took that as "I cannot comment" as in "I don't know" versus "I know something but can't comment on it."

I do think it's odd it's taking soooo long to process the phone and laptop. It seems like they should've found some stuff, at least the obvious stuff, immediately.

We don't have lap top or phone results. ;)

I seriously doubt he would be charged with anything related to the searches! There was a man, Nicolas something (I think that was his name) he was married, and had kids, with another one on the way. He left work, told his wife he was stopping at the store to pick up ingredients to make cookies with his daughter. Never showed up. Lots of searches, etc., and he was in another state, living a new life. Can't remember how he was found, but want to say his social security number. But he wasn't charged with anything. As the police said, no crime in an adult voluntarily going missing.

The bride deal, she CAUSED the massive search. She lied about things to make it appear something had happened, but it hadn't.

Most people that voluntarily go missing, and show up later are never charged because they didn't commit any crime. Whether they just walked away from their current life, or whether mentally they break down and can't cope, or have some other mental problem going on. People are just happy they are FOUND!

The preacher's wife that left her two kids. She was at a conference, walked away, pawned her rings, got a bus to another state. She was found working in another state. Thinking she disappeared in TX found in NY or NJ. Family was notified she had been found, and it was up to her to make further contact. I believe she eventually did and went back home..but don't know after that what she decided to do.

Countless cases just like that here. No crime, no charges!!!

Bryce, if you can read this, you're not in trouble for any searches! Just please call a family member, even if not your parents, an aunt, uncle, cousin, someone close and let them know it's you, and that you're OK. You don't have to tell them where you are or anything else. They'll know you're voice. Prayers continue for your safe return, or for your safety wherever you are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx