CA CA - Bryce Laspisa, 19, Castaic, 30 Aug 2013 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There are exceptions? Many?? Aiyeeeeeeeeeee!

Oh, yes: statements to receive emergency medical treatment; excited utterances; admission of a party opponent; present sense impression; then existing condition; recorded recollection; business records; certified records; religious records; family records; learned treatises...

Told you. Boring.

I 100% disagree with you. in any missing person case ALL details are CRUCIAL. I am willing to BET, this drug charge has alot to do with this case.

the mom could be glossing it over...as could anyone who spoke with Bryce.

ty
Illinois Penalties for Possession of Marijuana (includes Hashish)
Amount Classification Prison Term Fine
Up to 2.5 gm Class C Misdemeanor Up to 30 days $1,500
2.6 - 10.0 gm Class B Misdemeanor Up to 6 months $1,500
10.1 - 30.0 gm Class A Misdemeanor Less than 1 year $2,500
Class 4 Felony for 2nd and subsequent offenses 1-3 years $25,000
30.1 - 500.0 gm Class 4 Felony 1-3 years $25,000
Class 3 Felony for 2nd and subsequent offenses 2-5 years $25,000
500.1 - 2,000.0 gm Class 3 Felony 2-5 years $25,000
2,000.1 - 5,000.0 gm Class 2 Felony 3-7 years $25,000
More than 5,000 gm Class 1 Felony 4-15 years $25,000

also can you weigh in on a jaywalking fine? all I have found are $75.

I have never seen anyone get one in the real world, but that is probably about right if you get one and mail it in. If you go to court on anything we do charge some pretty steep court costs, about 161 bucks. Dragracer is also right about the speeding tickets and such. They created some big mandatory fines on things like speeding in construction zones and passing a school bus and things like that. 375 fine on top of other costs. Things like that. The drug cases have some fines like that too, which is why a misdemeanor cannabis case will cost you almost 700. A simple paraphernalia (like a bowl or a crack pipe) carries a 750 fine, IIRC. It's been a while.

Where is Quester with those drinks again...?!?!?!:waitasec:

I think we need an open bar for the legal terminology discussion! :cheers:

Cocktails.jpg

Did we determine why his fine was so much higher than what seems to be the guideline?

I too think his drug charge could have a bearing on what happened next, after the car turned over.

Oh, yes: statements to receive emergency medical treatment; excited utterances; admission of a party opponent; present sense impression; then existing condition; recorded recollection; business records; certified records; religious records; family records; learned treatises...

Told you. Boring.

I am so happy you are here. It's refreshing to hear/read what a "lawyer for the peeps" from Illinois has to say! So, thank you!

Did we determine why his fine was so much higher than what seems to be the guideline?

I too think his drug charge could have a bearing on what happened next, after the car turned over.

I can only make an educated guess but when we do that we are making them pay for having a large quantity of drugs while cutting them a break on the future consequences. The category where the large fine appears is the one we use for a street value fine- a somewhat inflated value of what the drugs cost on the street. We use 10 dollars a gram as a benchmark for cannabis and 100 a gram for cocaine and heroin. Other drugs vary on what our narcotics officers tell us they are worth. I work in a different county than he was convicted but that is what we do in the IL counties near me.

And I in no way mean to disparage this kid by suggesting this is the case. Many, many people have a run in with drugs and the law and are completely productive members of society afterward, especially a kid just out of high school. For me this past actually made me reconsider my opinion that he was not hiding out anywhere. Someone who got this break and then got into what would seem to be a minor issue could absolutely be deathly frightened enough of the consequences- enough to hide out, then get freaked out that he was in even more trouble for that. Nineteen year old guys aren't known for making the wisest decisions.

there is much more we don't know, aren't being told here.
where is BRYCE?

Told you. Boring.

Im a little late to the party, but here's a fun (well, about as fun as it gets given the subject matter) video about hearsay exceptions:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UoJ6fgIKYy8&desktop_uri=/watch?v=UoJ6fgIKYy8

I remembered that from law school and thought maybe some of you would enjoy. :)

And on the topic of searching the car, they would not need a warrant or even his consent. His mom owned the car and gave her consent. You don't need a warrant or even probable cause if you have the owner's consent. She could not consent to a search of his person or even likely his personal property- courts will differ on that when it is in the car and I won't pretend to know CA search and seizure law. So I don't know if they searched him or his bag. It doesn't sound like they used a dog or anything so it was likely just a cop rifling through the car. Some cops are pros and some can barely find their own hands. You never know.

OH MY!! Now that little ditty will be going through my head ALL night. Thank you! But it was rather informative, so seriously, thanks :) :tyou:

Hope I didn't give you an earworm! Pops into my head whenever I hear or see the word hearsay. :). I practice in healthcare though, so thankfully the rules of evidence don't make an appearance very often.

Oh, and people a while back were wondering why he could leave the state on probation. Supervision in IL is oddly named because it is unsupervised. They can petition to revoke and resentence you if you do something on supervision but you don't have a probation officer or anything like that. You can move wherever you want while on supervision and do not have to inform the courts. It seems like they immediately got him out of town.

The more I think about it, I can't see (from what we have been told) Bryce being able to stay out of touch with his parents for this long, even if he thought he wanted to. IMO, sounds like he was dependent on them for pretty much everything, emotional, financial, etc. If I am wrong, I apologize. I can see him wanting/needing a break if he felt smothered but not being able to actually do it for a month+. IMO something happened to him right away near the lake.
JMO

I would never underestimate the power of fear though. If he had gotten in all that trouble and was able to get out of it, then something else happened, he would be terrified. Maybe terrified enough to go into hiding for fear of the consequences. Fear makes people do strange things.

The more I think about it, I can't see (from what we have been told) Bryce being able to stay out of touch with his parents for this long, even if he thought he wanted to. IMO, sounds like he was dependent on them for pretty much everything, emotional, financial, etc. If I am wrong, I apologize. I can see him wanting/needing a break if he felt smothered but not being able to actually do it for a month+. IMO something happened to him right away near the lake.
JMO

I agree but they keep saying the dogs picked up his scent exiting the park. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members