CA CA - Bryce Laspisa, 19, Castaic, 30 Aug 2013 - #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol it doesn't help read the last 2 points? For instance there is a video online of a car parked at a stop sign the guy honks at this little old she hits the front of her car with her purse and the airbag deploys. Now if it went front first from that impact wouldn't that set them off? This thing fell of a cliff and nothing? That's how I'm confused. I guess you have to see the pics of the hill to see what I'm saying.

FWIW, hubby and I crashed on the freeway a couple of weeks ago going about 65mph. Long story how it happened, so I'll leave that out, but we spun out and then hit the concrete center divider, first with the right front corner, then the right rear. We hit pretty hard, but the airbags didn't go off. I'm thankful because that would've made it much worse injury-wise, I think. His car's a 2006, so a little newer than Bryce's. It seems like over time they've gotten more and more sophisticated with when airbags do or don't deploy, especially since for awhile when they were fairly new I remember hearing of people getting horrible injuries from the airbags in relatively minor accidents.

Here is a screenshot from Google Earth (if live, you could swivel and turn and view every little slope and detail). I've attached it, I think ;) Hopefully this gives some idea as to the degree of slope from the cell tower to the final resting spot. I do agree it may have sped down the hill for a bit, hit a berm, and as the wheel was turned, the vehicle rolled over. It could happen, IMO.

Attachments

• google-earth-horizon.jpg
    google-earth-horizon.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 89
Amanda, I'm at the north end of Valencia, if you want someone to go with you to take pictures and look around again at the accident site. I've checked it out once by myself but have been too anxious to go back up there by myself. I'll pm you.

Hopefully this is going to work, here are Riverking's pictures.

WOW, so great to have those photos - thanks very much!! :rockon:
Be careful, watch for rattlers! What does it look like at the lower end where the car landed? Clues? :)

FWIW, hubby and I crashed on the freeway a couple of weeks ago going about 65mpg. Long story how it happened, so I'll leave that out, but we spun out and then hit the concrete center divider, first with the right front corner, then the right rear. We hit pretty hard, but the airbags didn't go off. I'm thankful because that would've made it much worse injury-wise, I think. His car's a 2006, so a little newer than Bryce's. It seems like over time they've gotten more and more sophisticated with when airbags do or don't deploy, especially since for awhile when they were fairly new I remember hearing of people getting horrible injuries from the airbags in relatively minor accidents.

Glad you guys are ok! I've heard the materials used now in airbags are not like the old ones because of those injuries. I think we would have to research his SUV and find out from the tests what speeds angles it would take to cause them to deploy. Sorry I'm just having a hard time with that.

Glad you guys are ok! I've heard the materials used now in airbags are not like the old ones because of those injuries. I think we would have to research his SUV and find out from the tests what speeds angles it would take to cause them to deploy. Sorry I'm just having a hard time with that.

My husband also was just in a freeway accident, where the airbags did cause some bad injuries (needed emergency surgery). Anyway, when talking to a few people, they all basically said what dragz said, that airbags leads begin near the battery. So the impact has to be significant enough to move the battery enough for the leads on them to get tripped. In my husbands instance his whole front end was gone, so it's no question there why they deployed! The other car involved in the accident was hit badly in the rear, and there airbags didn't deploy even though the front of the car hit the center divider, not enough force.

Lol it doesn't help read the last 2 points? For instance there is a video online of a car parked at a stop sign the guy honks at this little old she hits the front of her car with her purse and the airbag deploys. Now if it went front first from that impact wouldn't that set them off? This thing fell of a cliff and nothing? That's how I'm confused. I guess you have to see the pics of the hill to see what I'm saying.

If it is as steep as you say, and it ended up on 80% on the road as Dragz has noted, how could only the rear window be broken with a suspicion that was done post accident? One roll should have busted most if not all of the windows, and as it accelerated on it's downward journey, rolling on wheels or rolling lengthwise, it should have been a pile of scrap metal...air bags or not.

We do that sort of testing on military vehicles, and the proposed scenario is not adding up....even the bullet proof 1"+ thick windows pop out. I just can't wrap my mind around it at this point.

When I go take new pictures later, I'll make sure to get pictures from the other vantage point (below on MR Rd) as well.

My husband also was just in a freeway accident, where the airbags did cause some bad injuries (needed emergency surgery). Anyway, when talking to a few people, they all basically said what dragz said, that airbags leads begin near the battery. So the impact has to be significant enough to move the battery enough for the leads on them to get tripped. In my husbands instance his whole front end was gone, so it's no question there why they deployed! The other car involved in the accident was hit badly in the rear, and there airbags didn't deploy even though the front of the car hit the center divider, not enough force.

First thing the FD does on an accident scene is to cut the battery cables to prevent fire and to render the air bags not deployed inert.

Thanks for photos! So no "cliff" near cell tower as I was imagining. Cliff only at bottom of hillside, dropping off to lower road??

So, as BluePoppy suggested, looks like BL may have driven down that straw/dried grass covered hillside. Why? Stowaway his gold colored vehicle for a time???

Where were the acceleration marks DRZ talked about? Just right above the "cliff"? 15 feet from the lower road?

Why is this all still so unclear at this point???

Thanks! Yeah we were very sore for a few days, but that was it (the car on the other hand... not pretty). Thinking about Bryce's state of mind - I was just remembering how when we started skidding, my brain just went kind of into a whole other "zone." It was really surreal. It didn't feel like reality at all. I immediately froze up. Hubby on the other hand was driving and got into flight mode - all he wanted to do was get home NOW. We kind of had to talk each other back into reality in order to even be safe for the rest of the drive, but my brain didn't really feel back to normal for several hours. And that was nothing compared to rolling down a large, steep hill, when already in an emotional state. It's hard for me to even imagine what he must've been thinking and feeling assuming he was in the car when it rolled.

Thanks for photos! So no "cliff" near cell tower as I was imagining. Cliff only at bottom of hillside, dropping off to lower road??

So, as BluePoppy suggested, looks like BL may have driven down that straw/dried grass covered hillside. Why? Stowaway his gold colored vehicle for a time???

Where were the acceleration marks DRZ talked about? Just right above the "cliff"? 15 feet from the lower road?

What is this all still so unclear at this point???

What about the brush? That's what I'm confused about? At the very end is where the "cliff" just above the road and it's 15-20 or more depending on the spot.

I did just that and feel I can let air bag issue go in my mind. I read a few, but this one was the clincher for me. Speed is a concern, but stranger things have happened.

http://www.theairbagblog.com/how-ai...id-not-deploy-what-went-wrong/comment-page-1/

I am starting to wonder if he was out of truck when it rolled and blood in it was when he went to retrieve something out of it. IDK

These are great, thanks!! That slope is super steep! So, from what I've read, it's 15' downhill to the road? Why does it seem so much further? :confused:

These are great, thanks!! That slope is super steep! So, from what I've read, it's 15' downhill to the road? Why does it seem so much further? :confused:

No it's further then that. The 15 foot deal is the drop at the end if it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Reconman