CA CA - Bryce Laspisa, 19, Castaic, 30 Aug 2013 - #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It amazes me that I have examples for everything! lol!
True story, a few weeks ago my dad turned 88 years old. Wow!
We had plans for a special day when he came down with a sore throat but didn't complain about it for two nights. When questioned, it turns out he had a fever for more than a day as well. We told our mother to call the doctor.

Instead of calling us with an update before they left their house, she and my dad left for the emergency room. It took hours before they reached his doctor and that's what he told them to do.
I began calling my mom at 4PM, no answer. Again and again up until 6PM or so. By then I was sort of mad but mainly concerned. Why weren't they answering the phone? I called the doctor's office and the answering service picked up - useless. Going on 7PM, I dialed the hospital they use and asked for the emergency unit.
When the gal answered the phone, I asked her, "Is blankity blank there?".
She replied, "Well, yes he is. I'll transfer you to a phone near his station."
Before she did, I told her my parents are grounded because I've been worried about them. She laughed.
But I didn't explain anything before she was willing to transfer my call. Don't know if that's typical or not.
(My dad was treated with an antibiotic and recovered quickly. So it's a good thing he saw a doctor, especially at his age. They were stuck in the emergency room for hours though.)

So, maybe klsy could begin by just asking for Bryce by name. If that's not enough information, the person who answers the phone will ask questions which will probably lead to the reason for the call.

That actually makes a lot of sense... just asking confidently and casually 'hey, may i please speak to bryce laspisa?' and if she asks who it is you can say sister or friend. but maybe the more direct your opening question is, the more convincing you are... idk

That actually makes a lot of sense... just asking confidently and casually 'hey, may i please speak to bryce laspisa?' and if she asks who it is you can say sister or friend. but maybe the more direct your opening question is, the more convincing you are... idk

When I would call hospitals trying to locate my son the receptionist never asked who I was. I just asked to speak to him by name. Sometimes they would come back with do I know what unit he is in because he or she couldn't find him in their system but they never asked who I was.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We had plans for a special day when he came down with a sore throat but didn't complain about it for two nights. When questioned, it turns out he had a fever for more than a day as well. We told our mother to call the doctor.

Instead of calling us with an update before they left their house, she and my dad left for the emergency room. It took hours before they reached his doctor and that's what he told them to do.
I began calling my mom at 4PM, no answer. Again and again up until 6PM or so. By then I was sort of mad but mainly concerned. Why weren't they answering the phone? I called the doctor's office and the answering service picked up - useless. Going on 7PM, I dialed the hospital they use and asked for the emergency unit.
Before she did, I told her my parents are grounded because I've been worried about them. She laughed.
But I didn't explain anything before she was willing to transfer my call. Don't know if that's typical or not.
(My dad was treated with an antibiotic and recovered quickly. So it's a good thing he saw a doctor, especially at his age. They were stuck in the emergency room for hours though.)

So, maybe klsy could begin by just asking for Bryce by name. If that's not enough information, the person who answers the phone will ask questions which will probably lead to the reason for the call.

Unless a person has requested to be "No Info," we can tell you they are there. Just can't discuss health issues over the phone unless patient says ok first. If the patient is admitted for assault we don't reveal they are a patient over the phone either until LE and patient agree it's safe to do so.

Dealing with psych hospitals/clinics is a little different, though. They are much stricter with the confidentiality rules in these places than they are in regular hospitals. When my son was in a treatment facility a few years ago, he had to make a list of family members who had permission to visit him. He could call us, but if we called him, we had to give his ID number before we were allowed to talk to him and the staff would not even tell us how he was doing, he had to tell us himself.

If one were to claim to be LE, they would probably ask you for your badge number, and which agency you work for, and then call that office to confirm that information.

Dealing with psych hospitals/clinics is a little different, though. They are much stricter with the confidentiality rules in these places than they are in regular hospitals. When my son was in a treatment facility a few years ago, he had to make a list of family members who had permission to visit him. He could call us, but if we called him, we had to give his ID number before we were allowed to talk to him and the staff would not even tell us how he was doing, he had to tell us himself.

If one were to claim to be LE, they would probably ask you for your badge number, and which agency you work for, and then call that office to confirm that information.

Exactly! I was speaking of regular hospitals and ERs. We use a password system at our psych/rehab unit. Those patients are not listed by name for the operator or any part of the regular hospital.

kslyfoxy, As some others mentioned, I would just ask for Bryce by name and not volunteer any other information unless asked. If you start up front volunteering information, you may say the wrong thing or open it up to questions from the receptionist or whoever answers the phone. Just ask, "May I speak to Bryce Laspisa?" If asked, I'd say you were his sister not a friend.

Although some rehabs and psych units are very strict in their protocols of dealing with calls from family and friends, I know from personal experience that some are lax about it and will let calls go through (I've had experience because of my ex-husband with VA hospitals, psych units, and rehabs).

IMO the chances of Bryce being in a hospital of any sort are slim. I am pretty sure they would check with LE agencies if someone comes in needing help but without ID or funds etc. And then with social services. At least this was the case when my sister worked in a psych hospital. JMO

Also, if he knew his name to give it, they could easily locate/place him by a quick google or checking missing persons in California.

IMO the chances of Bryce being in a hospital of any sort are slim. I am pretty sure they would check with LE agencies if someone comes in needing help but without ID or funds etc. And then with social services. At least this was the case when my sister worked in a psych hospital. JMO

Also, if he knew his name to give it, they could easily locate/place him by a quick google or checking missing persons in California.

In a perfect world everyone would be checked, but I don't think it happens all the time. Then I'm reminded about the woman dead in the stairwell of a major hospital in San Francisco for days and it just solidifies to never say "never"....

I dont know about this case anymore too
Without his body, he is either just left on his own , say goodbye to the world
or he got amnesia, started walking and clueless about his life...

@ kslyfoxy

Can you please explain the following text exchanges between Bryce and SD? What were they talking about? Why did Bryce thank SD for saving his soul? Why did SD caution Bryce not to waste his life? What had Bryce told SD he was going to do? TIA:
8/28/13 2:05pm - BL text to roommate, SD: “Love you bro. Seriously. You are the best person i have ever met. You saved my soul.”
http://fox40.com/2013/09/04/roommate-hoping-for-the-best-after-sierra-college-student-goes-missing/

8/28/13 2:09pm - SD text to BL: "I love you too man. You have an amazing life. Full of love and blessings don't waste that. You have too many people that love you Bryce."
http://fox40.com/2013/09/04/roommate-hoping-for-the-best-after-sierra-college-student-goes-missing/

8/28/13 8:24pm - ?BL text to SD or SD text to BL? On SD's cell phone: " ______ what's going on?!"

In a perfect world everyone would be checked, but I don't think it happens all the time. Then I'm reminded about the woman dead in the stairwell of a major hospital in San Francisco for days and it just solidifies to never say "never"....

Well, they knew who she was and presumably were getting paid. IMO hospitals always have enough staff to verify where payment is coming from.

sarx,
Is this the case you wrote about?

Thank you LinasK for posting it.
Posted: 2:58 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 6, 2013

KTVU and AP Wires

SAN FRANCISCO —

San Francisco Sheriff Ross Mirkarimi Wednesday revealed breakdowns in communication and technology that happened during the search for a woman who was found dead in a San Francisco General Hospital stairwell in October after being reported missing weeks earlier.

Associated Press

An undated photo provided by David Perry & Associates, shows Lynne Spalding. Officials confirmed Tuesday Oct. 9, 2013, the identity of the body discovered in a rarely used stairwell at San Francisco General Hospital more than two weeks ago as that of Lynne Spalding, 57, a native of England. Spalding was being treated for an infection at the hospital when she disappeared from her room on Sept. 21, 2013. (AP Photo/Courtesy of David Perry & Associates)

Mirkarimi held a news conference at City Hall Wednesday afternoon to disclose the sheriff's department's preliminary findings in the case of Lynne Spalding, a 57-year-old British woman found dead in the hospital stairwell on Oct. 8 after being reported missing Sept. 21.

Among the findings was that authorities alternately thought Spalding was black or Asian -- she is white. Additionally, attempts to retrieve surveillance video from the time of her disappearance were unsuccessful because of faulty hardware, Mirkarimi said.

Spalding had been admitted to the hospital on Sept. 19 to be treated for an infection. Two days later, after she disappeared, a physician told a deputy that Spalding was about to be discharged when she wandered off, Mirkarimi said.

However, the physician also told the deputy that Spalding was "very confused and not safe to be out on her own," according to the sheriff.

Mirkarimi said initial reports within the hospital about Spalding's disappearance indicated that she was black and wearing a hospital gown, while a log book used to document information between work shifts identified her as an Asian female.

After more than a week had passed and Spalding still remained missing, hospital officials asked sheriff's deputies to search the entire 24-acre campus, Mirkarimi said.

A day later, it was determined that not all stairwells had yet been searched and staff was directed to search them, but only half of the stairwells were actually searched, the sheriff said.

Then, on Oct. 4, a hospital official called the sheriff's Institutional Patrol Unit to report that someone told the official that somebody was lying on the landing in the third or fourth floor of Stairwell 8.

A staff member from the sheriff's communications center responded, "We'll take care of it," but there is no indication that anyone was dispatched to check the stairwell, according to the sheriff. more at link: http://www.ktvu.com/news/news/local/sheriff-delays-marked-search-missing-patient/nbj83/

LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com) — Authorities say two men found a man’s body Wednesday while hiking in a remote area of Griffith Park.

LAPD Det. Ubaldo Zesati told CBS2′s Serene Branson that the victim appeared to have been there for three to five days. Zesati said the man may have fallen while hiking and that his death did not appear to be the result of foul play or suicide.

Police are continuing their investigation and are attempting to identify the victim.

__

I'm 99% sure this can't be Bryce.

I keep thinking back to the one thing we know that seemed to begin the odd behaviors.
I really worry about the reaction to the medicine adversely affecting rationale thought.

If anyone has experienced SERIOUS UNDESIRED affects from medicine, then you know what I mean. I personally took a certain medicine once, and it made me get very angry at my spouse for the littlest things. I dont even remember the medicine, but it was the first time, I realized how serious certain medicines can affect someone.

It took me awhile to realize the medicine is what was causing it because they were just simple verbal arguments, but I would get more angry than usual and after a verbal fight, I would think back and wonder WTH was I even mad about. The littlest things would set me off when I was on that medicine. After about a week of taking this medicine, I finally put 2 + 2 together and even tested the theory. I took the medicine one more day when I was having a great day, and sure enough, that evening, I realized I was not myself. I caught myself getting angry over nothing, and that was it. Medicine went in trash.

Ive also had taken other medicines in the past, where suicidal thoughts were a side effect. Luckily, the thoughts were just thoughts for me, but it was scary how they even entered into thinking about them. The real scary part is at the time it is occurring, the thoughts made sense to me. It is very serious and very scary stuff.

I hope Bryce was able to safely leave the area, but it really worries me about the reactions to the medicine affecting his thought process. I keep hoping and praying he can be found safe somewhere. I love the idea of checking hospitals and facilities as that would be a great outcome if he is in one of those places.

I keep thinking back to the one thing we know that seemed to begin the odd behaviors.
I really worry about the reaction to the medicine adversely affecting rationale thought.

If anyone has experienced SERIOUS UNDESIRED affects from medicine, then you know what I mean. I personally took a certain medicine once, and it made me get very angry at my spouse for the littlest things. I dont even remember the medicine, but it was the first time, I realized how serious certain medicines can affect someone.

It took me awhile to realize the medicine is what was causing it because they were just simple verbal arguments, but I would get more angry than usual and after a verbal fight, I would think back and wonder WTH was I even mad about. The littlest things would set me off when I was on that medicine. After about a week of taking this medicine, I finally put 2 + 2 together and even tested the theory. I took the medicine one more day when I was having a great day, and sure enough, that evening, I realized I was not myself. I caught myself getting angry over nothing, and that was it. Medicine went in trash.

Ive also had taken other medicines in the past, where suicidal thoughts were a side effect. Luckily, the thoughts were just thoughts for me, but it was scary how they even entered into thinking about them. The real scary part is at the time it is occurring, the thoughts made sense to me. It is very serious and very scary stuff.

I hope Bryce was able to safely leave the area, but it really worries me about the reactions to the medicine affecting his thought process. I keep hoping and praying he can be found safe somewhere. I love the idea of checking hospitals and facilities as that would be a great outcome if he is in one of those places.
Your experience (and we've all heard the list of side effects in commercials) coupled with the last texting between BL and SD paints a very grim and plausible picture. I hope and pray he's just gone off to find himself.

Your experience (and we've all heard the list of side effects in commercials) coupled with the last texting between BL and SD paints a very grim and plausible picture. I hope and pray he's just gone off to find himself.

If taking an un-prescribed medication led to a sudden psychosis or suicidal ideation in this case, it will be such a horridly preventable tragedy. Like I said before in response to Whiteorchid, I had no idea this class of drugs could have such an effect and I've now heard about so many college students using it. This is very upsetting to learn about:

Stimulant medications commonly used for ADHD may carry a slight increased risk (1 per 1,000) of triggering some of the same psychiatric symptoms as those seen in schizophrenia and mood disorders, even in patients who did not have previous psychiatric problems. These psychiatric symptoms include hearing voices, paranoia (becoming suspicious for no reason) and mania. http://www.schizophrenia.com/sznews/archives/004802.html

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The most important finding of this review is that signs and symptoms of psychosis or mania, particularly hallucinations, can occur in some patients with no identifiable risk factors, at usual doses of any of the drugs currently used to treat ADHD."[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Between January 2000, and June 30, 2005, the FDA identified nearly 1,000 cases of psychosis or mania linked to the drugs in its own database and those from the drug makers themselves. A substantial proportion of the cases occurred in children age ten years or less, a population in which hallucinations are not common, the authors said.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]But the fact that these drugs cause psychosis is not news. The rate of psychotic events was reported in a 5-year Canadian study of children diagnosed with ADHD, by Cherland and Fitzpatrick in 1999. Among the 192 children studied, 98 had been placed on stimulant drugs, mostly methylphenidate, and psychotic symptoms developed in more than 9% of the children and ceased as soon as the medication was stopped.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Researchers reported no psychotic symptoms in children who did not receive stimulants and the authors noted that due to poor reporting, the rate of drug induced psychosis and psychotic symptoms was probably much higher.http://www.countercurrents.org/pringle110307.htm[/FONT]

After a lengthy investigation, The Star has documented nearly 600 cases of Canadian children over the past 10 years who have suffered serious, even fatal, side effects suspected to be linked to various ADHD medications.
One such case involves Kim Collier’s 7-year-old daughter. Less then 24 hours after taking her first dose of Vyvanse, the young girl was sobbing nearly continuously. To try and distract and calm her daughter down, Collier suggested a bike ride. As the two road their bikes to a park in Alliston, Ont. Collier's daughter continued to cry uncontrollably. Collier told The Star when a car drove in the oposite direction along the same street: “She looked at me and she said, ‘I’m going to ride my bike into that car.’ And then she said to me, ‘You don’t care if I live or die.’ I literally had to restrain her. I took her off of the drug.”

Various studies have estimated that as many as 35 percent of college students illicitly take these stimulants to provide jolts of focus and drive during finals and other periods of heavy stress. Many do not know that it is a federal crime to possess the pills without a prescription and that abuse can lead to anxiety, depression and, occasionally, psychosis.

After the 2010 suicide of a Vanderbilt student named Kyle Craig — who abused Adderall to keep up his grades, his family said, using prescriptions from a doctor near his New Jersey home — the university devoted part of freshman orientation to highlighting the temptations and perils of stimulant misuse, similar to programs on safe sex and binge drinking.
Several Vanderbilt students maintained that those efforts were futile, partly because they distribute pills themselves. One student, who asked to be identified only by his middle name, Andrew, said he was prescribed 60 pills a month from his hometown psychiatrist, although he needs only 30 or 40. He gives the extras to other students in need.
“I don’t think they’re doing enough,” he said with a laugh, “to stop people like me.” http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/01/u...icit-use-of-adhd-pills.html?pagewanted=2&_r=0

LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com) — Authorities say two men found a man’s body Wednesday while hiking in a remote area of Griffith Park.

LAPD Det. Ubaldo Zesati told CBS2′s Serene Branson that the victim appeared to have been there for three to five days. Zesati said the man may have fallen while hiking and that his death did not appear to be the result of foul play or suicide.

Police are continuing their investigation and are attempting to identify the victim.

__

I'm 99% sure this can't be Bryce.

http://article.wn.com/view/2013/11/...y_found_by_hikers_in_Griffith_/#/related_news

The body thought to be a Latino man in his forties. Therefore, doesn't match Bryce's description.

Where's Bryce?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member