CA CA - Bryce Laspisa, 19, Castaic, 30 Aug 2013 - #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I always have to remind myself that the US is so different to the UK when it comes to driving times/distances. :D The idea of driving for 8-10 hours over a 1ish hour flight (even with check in etc) is absolutely insane to me.

Though pushing that aside for a moment, I do agree that perhaps the parents should've jumped in the car and started trying to get to Bryce when it was obvious he wasn't in a particular hurry to move.
Haha. Americans love road trips

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Haha. Americans love road trips

Well yes... guilty as charged here. But I'm thinking about the timeline too. They could have had his friends keep the car keys and driven to him instead. They would have been there that night, pretty quickly, and someone whose friends thought he was impaired wouldn't have been out on the roads driving. Let's say it's 10pm, I'm extremely worried, and the first flight I can get is 10am the next day (I realize there are earlier flights but they're overbooked so often, I was trying to be optimistic about even a 10am flight). I'd be in the car for a 7 or 8 hour drive in order to be there so much sooner.

Of course, that's assuming he really did want to talk to her, and wasn't feeling "smothered" somehow (by family, friends, whoever). Hindsight gives us all kinds of different ideas, I know.

Not that it matters, but does anyone know if Bryce's mother actually raised him? I know Mike is not his bio dad. Bryce attended H.S. in Illinois not CA. Sorry if this has been already discussed.

I think there is some information that is being withheld. There wasn't any clues on his phone or computer? I find that hard to believe. Kids live on their electronic devices. Is there something they don't want out there to preserve his reputation or memory? What could he have possibly needed to tell his parents? Did he owe someone money? Did he steal something? Had something happened at school that could jeopardize his standing as a student? Was he interested in some other girl or guy? If they were that close as they represented on Disappeared, none of these things seem that out there to tell your mom over the phone and a proper investigation would have uncovered them. As I said, IMO there is something they are holding back.

I agree. Mom's behavior is very contradictory. She claims they were very close, yet she minimizes his drug use and felt he was okay to drive, even though the girlfriend and roommate told her he wasn't and he had to be prompted to leave Buttonwillow after just sitting there for 13 hours- when a normal traveler wouldn't spend more than 30 min. there unless they were staying in a motel. I don't think Bryce felt mom was as nonjudgmental about his drug use or that they were as "close" as she is saying. It's very fishy. She waited 2 years to do this show. I think there's more she's holding back.

Yes she did. She remarried when Bryce was young to the step father and the family had recently relocated to so cal.

Not that it matters, but does anyone know if Bryce's mother actually raised him? I know Mike is not his bio dad. Bryce attended H.S. in Illinois not CA. Sorry if this has been already discussed.

Oh nice, I am glad we're getting it in the UK.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree. Mom's behavior is very contradictory. She claims they were very close, yet she minimizes his drug use and felt he was okay to drive, even though the girlfriend and roommate told her he wasn't and he had to be prompted to leave Buttonwillow after just sitting there for 13 hours- when a normal traveler wouldn't spend more than 30 min. there unless they were staying in a motel. I don't think Bryce felt mom was as nonjudgmental about his drug use or that they were as "close" as she is saying. It's very fishy. She waited 2 years to do this show. I think there's more she's holding back.

It just dawned on me as I was rereading my post- it's gotta be an image thing with her of projecting the "perfect" family, but obviously something wasn't right or Bryce wouldn't have ended up in this predicament. She went from "I'll fly up there" to you drive down (no matter how long it takes you/you are doing).

https://m.imgur.com/a/slgik

Interesting visual of the landscape outside Castaic I saw on imgur
Yep, that's about right. It's a man-made lake in a mountain pass that is only for day-use recreation. Nobody actually stays at the lake (unless there is camping), you stay nearby in the town of Castaic.
Also wanted to add- it's just not normal to spend 13 hours in Buttonwillow!

I was just coming here to post and ask about his phone usage (I just saw it raised also on page 64). I find it so odd that they talk about looking in his phone at the calls etc. but you can delete it from your phone so calls/texts don't show. But no mention anywhere of his phone records?

I watched the Disappeared episode with great interest as this is the first missing person's case I have followed from the outset and it brought me to Websleuths.

The evidence that Bryce appears to have accelerated at high speed over rocky terrain, towards the lake, has changed my opinion on this young man's disappearance.

Sad to say that everything seems to point to suicide IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The way I see it according to LE and experts he accelerated with speed down the hill after scoping it out a few times before he actually did it (courage) according to cctv cameras.

LE said the view from where Bryce went down the steep hill looked like the lake was much closer. That tells me he was trying to commit suicide. If not why wouldn't you jump out of the vehicle before going over instead of inflicting bodily injury to yourself for the fun of it just to go missing.

If he was just going to go missing why not just park your SUV somewhere with not much traffic and go hitch a ride? Why accelerate down a cliff to only go missing?

Logic is that he was trying to end his life but it didn't happen on his first attempt so he found another way.

If you were trying to ditch the vehicle so as to prevent pinpointing your last known position and giving yourself time to disappear before anyone went looking for you, it's hard to beat a lake. I think the drop-off ruined his plans. Once the vehicle was over the embankment and wrecked on the road, he had no choice but to abandon it. The scent trail over the spillway to the parking lot on the other side reduces the probability of suicide somewhat...

If you were trying to ditch the vehicle so as to prevent pinpointing your last known position and giving yourself time to disappear before anyone went looking for you, it's hard to beat a lake. I think the drop-off ruined his plans. Once the vehicle was over the embankment and wrecked on the road, he had no choice but to abandon it. The scent trail over the spillway to the parking lot on the other side reduces the probability of suicide somewhat...

Well he gave away his most treasured belongings to his friends, accelerated down a cliff after checking it out three times beforehand. Obviously, he thought he would die either from the fall or he thought his vehicle would plow into the lake and sink with him in it. He took off around the lake because it was a busy weekend and he didn't want to be caught and have his plans foiled. He could have hitched a ride and continued out his plan at another location and was never found. I hope for a miracle but it's looking like this was his intent. Young people commit suicide everyday in the US. It's hard to imagine this happens but unfortunately it does.

This was a recent sad case of Nicole Mittendorff a beautiful young female firefighter who took her own life from suicide hanging in Shenandoah National Park.

http://wjla.com/news/local/womans-b...al-park-during-search-for-missing-firefighter

http://www.nbcnews.com/feature/miss...issing-firefighter-nicole-mittendorff-n560121

there is so much land around where he was last seen where he could be. its a huge desert.

there is so much land around where he was last seen where he could be. its a huge desert.

Sorry to be so graphic but after almost three years if he did take his own life somewhere in a desolate rural area or hitched a ride to another lake area which are many along that freeway, his remains would be skeletonize. Animals eat ,scatter and bury

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmeyer